[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long until the remaining Pentium 4 PCs get thrown out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: pentium4.png (2 MB, 1200x1491) Image search: [Google]
pentium4.png
2 MB, 1200x1491
How long until the remaining Pentium 4 PCs get thrown out?

I believe there is still quite a few Pentium 4 Windows XP systems being used daily.
>>
those things will probably outlive humanity itself
>>
Not until some major standard/use-case change makes them useless for basic web surfing or email checking. Of course, they'll naturally thin out as time goes on and people upgrade by choice or by force.

Even early Northwood-era systems, especially the high-end RDRAM-based workstations, are still reasonably useful when you aren't really in to multimedia usage or data hoarding.
>>
http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/1837/Northwood#@Desktop

It's really power inefficient

Core 2 Duo is so much faster and much more power efficient
>>
>>51855810
The average person who is still using a Pentium 4 in 2015 doesn't give two halves of a shit about power efficiency.
>>
File: Pi4.jpg (68 KB, 413x355) Image search: [Google]
Pi4.jpg
68 KB, 413x355
>>51855781
And they'll keep the remaining few stay warm during the winter.
>>
>>51855788
My P4 HT that I use whenever I need to play old vidya absolutely crawls for most things internet-related, no matter what hyper-optimized browser I use, standards evolved to where ancient CPU's can't handle even the most basic of pages anymore
>>
I still see P4s from time to time, the ones running Pentium Ds though I usually heavily suggest that they swap it for a much more power efficient early Core 2 Duo. As most of the Pentium D 945 series boards support some form of C2D.

The northwoods, or 8XX chipset series P4s are a lost cause.

C2D computers, now those computers will be along for another half to a decade at least.

Still plenty of cheap DDR2/3 P41 boards for replacement parts with the Core 2 Quads still doing quite well for everyday tasks.

Heck the E4300 and super low end E1X00 series Celeron 2 Duos can still play 1080P H264 easily with people playing GTAV with a mid low end GPU like the 750TI
>>
>>51855810
>power inefficient

>not yearning for the days when overclocked single core CPUs sometimes consumed over 200W of power.
>>
>>51855905
It almost seems like RAM makes a big difference in it, my DDR systems crawl but my RDRAM boxes have no problem shitposting and surfing the non-JS encrusted web (even a lot of JS shit seems to be tolerable)

But I think really the systems that are going to stick around the longest are the Prescott/Cedar Mill DDR2-based boxes.

>>51855914
>tfw you daily drove the slowest S423 P4 ever commercially released for two years and didn't give a single fuck
>>
>>51855914
>The northwoods, or 8XX chipset series P4s are a lost cause.
Nah, they are still pretty usable. What really isn't usable for internet browsing anymore is a Pentium II (unless using Noscript it gets murdered by JS and everything grinds to a halt), anything above is still more or less capable..
>>
>>51856377
surprisingly this desu, if you're patient

since I don't really give a shit about loading speeds while shitposting I would have no problem daily driving my dual pentium pro shitbox if quoting posts without JS wasn't annoying as shit
>>
How come a Pentium 4 system can play a DVD or even a decent HD rip in MPC HC, but struggles with a 480p youtube video?

Don' give me that HTML5 will fix everything bullshit, i have had better luck with flash.
>>
>>51855722
Not, until you can get shit done with them.
>>
>>51856470
In terms of performance:

standalone players (like smtube+smplayer) > flash > html5 player
>>
>>51855905
>standards evolved to where ancient CPU's can't handle even the most basic of pages anymore

Two words lad: JavaScripe clusterfuck
>>
>>51856470
Because VP9.
>>
>>51856470
Because the YouTube player is pure garbage.

As far as DVDs go, pretty much everything since the Pentium II era has had hardware MPEG decoding or some similar acceleration.
>>
>>51856377
They are slower than the early 330 Atoms and those couldn't play H264 720P

With all the flash and javascript shit plastered all over some sites it brings the P4s to it's knees waiting for pages to load.
>>
Hell, I still have a working Pentium Pro...
>>
We use them in biotech labs all the time. PC ships with lab device, never gets upgraded
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.