[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
External Hard Drives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 817iyXUKc2L._SL1500_.jpg (89 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
817iyXUKc2L._SL1500_.jpg
89 KB, 1500x1500
I need a new external hard drive, are these WD My Passports good or should i go with another?

http://amzn.com/B00XREKJRK
>>
Pretty much anything is fine, just don't buy from Amazon, they're the enemy of your freedom.
>>
>>51853098
Should be fine. Quick googling it's the newest (or one of) disks inside (not that that matters, anything made from 3 years ago would work)
>>
>>51853117
>Pretty much anything is fine
except Seagate
>>
If you have the money you should get a 2.5 drive and buy an enclosure and put it together.

I get calls all the time about dead ext. hard drives and usually the drive is still good and it's the enclosure/bay that has failed. both WD and seagate don't seem to be impervious to this. What's more, they're both starting to have custom interfaces which are permanently soldered together and if the enclosure does fail then you are fugged.

I have never seen a paid enclosure fail and you can choose whatever drive you want. will be about 20% more but you're getting a much better product.
>>
>>51853190
>Have 2 1TB external hdds
>1 Seagate, about 3-4 years old
>1 Toshiba, about 1 year old
>Toshiba recently corrupted, had to reformat
>Seagate still going strong and gets used all the time
>>
>>51853098
I have one and I have had good luck with it. I own about 7 portable drives and the WD passport is practically silent compared to the others
>>
>>51853190
Seagate is fine for an external hard drive. Pretty much all the same really.
>>
Just dont buy toshiba and you will be fine.
>>
>hard drive

LMAO
>>
I've had a couple passports, including the most recent 2tb one, no complaints
>>
>>51853098
1 more shill for WD passports, I'm happy with my 1 TB unit
>>
>WD passport
>not WD Elements
>>
File: wde_01_thumb[1].jpg (45 KB, 484x484) Image search: [Google]
wde_01_thumb[1].jpg
45 KB, 484x484
>>51853098
Don't buy that passport, the USB port is directly soldered to the HDD. If the port dies your files are fucking gone, even if the drive it self is fine.
>>
>>51858053
shut up idiot
>>
File: 9107659662_0b84a50cb9_o[1].jpg (60 KB, 497x662) Image search: [Google]
9107659662_0b84a50cb9_o[1].jpg
60 KB, 497x662
>>
>>51853098
I've had the elements for a couple of years, it's been decent, nothing to intensive though I just back up shit from my laptop to it periodically.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.