[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monitor thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
Looking for a good gaming monitor

Any brands I should stay away from?

LCD or LED?

Respectable display size?

Trying to stay under $200
>>
>>51850544

benq xl2411z
>>
i'd say 23" at least, and go for 144 Hz if you dont like tears
Avoid HDMI, unless you wanna hook up a console, shit makes monitors cost at least $40 more, and avoid speakers too cus they make it cost more, and are garbage anyway
I'll try to find you one
>>
>>51851302
>tfw I was looking at this last night for $240 and decide to buy today and it is sold out
>>
>>51850544
Not OP but I have the same question.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 22" HP w2207.

I'm using an i7 4550k and GTX 770 4GB.

I have roughly $200, the less I can spend the better. I don't know anything about monitors but I've heard I'm not really getting the most out of my hardware with the current monitor setup.
>>
>>51854010
really depends on what you want, mate.

If you play games AAA games for "fun" then you should probably get a 1440p or 1080p IPS.

If you are big into competitive FPS and don't mind the color quality dropping a bit get a 1080P 144hz monitor
>>
I'm totally clueless here. The deeper I delve into the monitor world the more mysteries I uncover

Is it impossible to find a good gaming monitor for under $200?

I just want something with 1080p, not shit blacks, and low latency
>>
>>51854123
A nice inbetween then?

I don't do high-level competition or anything but I do play a lot of competitive FPS. I also play a lot of "fun" stuff that's not as demanding too.

Is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098Y77U0/?tag=dislag-20 any good? Someone in a shitty /v/ thread linked it to me.
>>
>>51854253
I meant to link the 27" version, my bad.

I'd like to get a 27" monitor, anything smaller feels like a waste and anything larger is probably way beyond my $200 budget.
>>
>>51854253
>>51854270
psure that is a TN panel which has worse colors. You should check out
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/monitor/ and sort it by IPS and cheapest price.

If you aren't interested in 144hz you should go IPS no matter what for the better picture quality. There is 1440P 27" 144hz monitors out now, but they are beyond your budget
>>
>>51854252
Just get an IPS Asus monitor. Nearly every Asus monitor is good for gaming and they aren't really expensive like BenQ monitors.
>>
>>51854364
What about hypothetically expanding my budget to around ~$350? I'd have to save up a bit but if the difference is that big I might go for that.

A friend has a "Benq XL2411Z" that he bought as a second monitor but had problems with crossfire or something that he's willing to sell me for $220 but the specs are lost on me.

Wouldn't 144hz be meaningless if I can't pull 144 fps with my GPU? Or am I being retarded? Are any of these monitors even going to be a noticeable upgrade from an HP w2207 without being $500+?
>>
>>51854395
I don't know

I JUST DON'T KNOW!
>>
>>51854435
144hz would be meaningless in most games, but less demanding games or general windows use it would be very apparent. If he isn't selling you a broken monitor I'd honestly buy it for $220 in a heartbeat.

The most common game 144hz is preached for is csgo which has pretty low requirements to get high FPS.

Also with your card I just realized you should probably get a monitor with g-sync. It will work with your graphics card and give you better performance in games.
>>
>>51850544
>LCD or LED?
<pixel type> or <backlight type>?
sure thing buddy...

avoid LG like the plague and you should be fine (some cheap Samsung models that are not made in Korea are also crap, Indonesia IIRC)
>>
>>51854435
Korean 27"
>>
>buying a qnix ever
kek
they have no quality control
>>
>>51854489
I'll see if the Benq offer is still up then and make sure it works, but it's been a week or two so it might be off the table now.

Unfortunately it looks like g-sync monitors cost a fortune, which is a pity because that's a feature I was actually excited for.

Thanks for all the help so far anons
>>
What is wrong with this one? There is always something wrong with it

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2721vh-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00K15LQZW/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450067190&sr=1-7&keywords=monitors&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A2232445011%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6570747011%2Cp_36%3A1253506011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2882859011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547807011
>>
>>51854589
honestly, senpai. If you have a working monitor I wouldn't splurge and save up money to buy something quality that will last you a long time.

I'm actually pretty urgent to buy a monitor atm. Mine broke a few days ago and I've been just using a fucking TV I can't play any games on. I was pree mad when the benq deal for $240 disappeared and the lowest price is like 290 now
>>
>>51850544
>Any brands I should stay away from?
They all get their panels from the same manufacturers, so no. I'd be vary of older Dell models like the notoriously shitty yet (still!) hilariously praised U2312HM.

>LCD or LED?
There is no distinction between "LCD" and "LED". LCDs need LED panels to function, they are all equipped with LEDs today. The confusion stems from when white LEDs replaced CCFLs and the manufacturers made a huge deal out of advertising this fact, going as far as calling their monitors "LED monitors".

LCD monitors are divided into three main categories: IPS, TN and VA panels, though not monitors that belong to one of these families function equally well.

>Respectable display size?
1080p and upwards. It depends on what you need and what you have driving it.

>i'd say 23" at least, and go for 144 Hz if you dont like tears
There is no need to buy a 144hz monitor unless you're a gamer. Also, a non-TN 144hz monitor will cost a small fortune. Hell, 144hz TN panels are expensive already.

>>51854252
Only VA panels have acceptable black levels, but unfortunately, they often come with higher input latency in comparison to IPS (very slightly) and TN panels (considerably). That said, I haven't followed the market recently. As for pixel refresh latency, they are about on par with IPS panels, though slightly weird in dark/grey transitions.
>>
>>51854625
It still works, it's just a little 720p 22" monitor from 8 years ago. My budget is probably going to stay around $200 perpetually unless someone can convince me to save up for a specific monitor.

I went out and built this beastie of a PC two years ago but it feels wasteful to spend so much on the PC and still be using this old monitor.

[spoiler]I can't play games either, in my own ineptitude I borked the registry and I'm waiting on the arrival of a 2TB Harddrive and 500GB SSD to reformat[/spoiler]
>>
>>51854658
>they are all equipped with LEDs today
This is not particularly true, but in gaming fields you're probably right. If that's what you are referring to.
>>
>>51854658
>Only VA panels have acceptable black levels, but unfortunately, they often come with higher input latency in comparison to IPS (very slightly) and TN panels (considerably). That said, I haven't followed the market recently. As for pixel refresh latency, they are about on par with IPS panels, though slightly weird in dark/grey transitions.

I forgot to mention -- not all panels that belong to a certain family exhibit equal input latency. Not even pixel latency. Different panel models vary and it depends on how the manufacturers decide to implement said given panel.
>>
>>51854665
I forgot there's nothing to spoil on /g/.

>>51854658
So what qualities should I look for for general gaming purposes? So far my only criteria are 1080p and >=24"

I'm not sure if IPS is a benefit or a detriment.
>>
Are there any vendors to stay away from when looking to buy 2k/4k monitors?
>>
>>51854711
It's both apparently, IPS has better color and angle visibility, but they have lower refresh rates
>>
when will there be good deals on monitors again?

obviously black friday/monday but i missed that, maybe christmas?
>>
>>51854711
IPS is a benefit unless you are playing competitive games where every advantage matters(or you just like more FPS).

The way 144hz are described is like going from rubber dome to mechanical keyboard. You will never go back to 60hz because it will feel like shit.
>>
>>51854733
Yeah that's what I'm getting at. How low the refresh rates are, I'm not sure. My current monitor is 59hz, I'd like to increase that but I dunno if I need 144hz.
>>
>>51854738
That sounds good, but I've never used a mechanical keyboard either so the comparison is lost on me.

Basically I know I want a >=24" 1080p monitor with IPS and >60hz refresh rate, as cheaply as I can get it. I guess it's just waiting for sales now, I dunno what else I can do.
>>
>>51854747
Save up more cash for something quality m8. A nice monitor is just as important as your graphics card.
>>
>>51854772
Actually I guess 60hz is good too, seems like 144hz only matters if you can get really high fps.

>>51854773
I guess I will. What's a good price point to save for? I'm seeing things ranging from $300 to $800 and I have no idea what quality to go for.
>>
PWM reminder, set your monitor's brightness to 100, if it is too bright try to lower the RGB color values to R 50 G 25 B 25 or f.lux
>>
>>51851302
>TN
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm less sure about any of my monitor choices at this point
>>
File: wHeDp[1].jpg (279 KB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
wHeDp[1].jpg
279 KB, 2400x1800
>>51854711
>So what qualities should I look for for general gaming purposes? So far my only criteria are 1080p and >=24"

>I'm not sure if IPS is a benefit or a detriment.

It depends entirely on what "gaming" means to you.

If you're into single player games with flashy graphics, I would certainly go for a good VA panel. For general use, they are superior to IPS panels these days. They have caught up in color reproduction -- and given the fact that they provide deeper blacks, they are essentially superior in this regard.

VA panels suffer from a certain flaw however. When viewed at an angle, gamma goes up. The sharper the angle, the more washed out the image appears. When you get really close, you can actually observe brighter gamma in the corners of the screen.

On the other hand, IPS panels suffer from "IPS glow". It behaves like VA gamma shift, but only manifests in darker colors. It is also much more apparent than VA gamma shift, especially in dark rooms, so it's always visible, not just when observed at an angle. However, the strength of this glow varies unit from unit. I've seen absolutely terrible IPS glow as well as tolerable, but personally, any amount of IPS glow is intolerable in my eyes.

So look at it this way. IPS may have near-perfect viewing angles, but this only applies to bright colors. If you play a really dark horror game, get ready for glowing slime in the corners of your screen, at all times.

If you're really into competitive video games such as Counter Strike, get a 1080p 144hz TN panel. If you're not serious about gaming, completely ignore the 144hz fad.
>>
>>51854821
>tfw both my monitors are busted as fuck.
One of them only works when the brightness is 0 and then it will still flash after it has been on for a few minutes. My other one is same thing. I think it's the backlights. I took the whole think apart and none of the capacitors are blown
>>
>>51854826
I know how you feel, dawg. Been trying to pick out a monitor the last few days and when I decided on one it sold out and now I'm completely lost again
>>
>>51854839
what brands anon
>>
>>51854849
hold me bro
>>
>>51854850
AOC & ASUS.
>>
File: We just don't know.png (47 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
We just don't know.png
47 KB, 250x251
>>51854790
>>51854836
It's ogre, monitor anon has caused me to come full circle.

I don't know what I want anymore. Literally all of those things sound like they apply to what I want, because I play just about every type of game there is and I play most of them seriously.
>>
>>51854879
Yeah, I mean only those weirdo extreme people restrict themselves to one genre

I do not wear fingerless gloves while playing shooters nor do I wear a cloak while playing skyrim
>>
I know what you mean. I play csgo a moderate amount, but also play a lot of other games.

I really do want 144hz, but I also am not sure about getting just a high quality IPS or something
>>
>>51854914
>>51854879
meant for

The best of both worlds if you have the money is the 1440p IPS 144hz I think
>>
>>51854879

Good VA or IPS panel then, forget 144hz monitors. They're beyond your budget anyway.

For the choice between VA and IPS, it comes down to whether you care about darker blacks or not. IPS blacks are a bit too gray after coming from a VA and especially from a CRT (old big box monitors), let alone something like an OLED panel (ignore this last one, you don't need to know what it is).

For a recommendation on a particular model, you should go here:

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

I would love to recommend a particular model to you, but I've been out of date with the market for a year now. I could only recommend outdated models to you and there's better stuff out there now.
>>
>>51854924
>They're beyond your budget anyway.
Are they really, though? You can easily get an entry level 144hz for 200-250
>>
>>51854948

He wants a 27'' screen though.
>>
>>51854973
OH
RIP
>>
>>51854924
Well, I'm interested in expanding my budget to grab a 144hz monitor, especially if I can get any good deals on it come christmas time. I'll dig around in your link a bit too.

CRTs are pretty great, I had one for six years before I upgraded to my current monitor. The thing is still alive and great, I gave it to a family member. I don't really remember the difference in blacks being too big of an issue going from the CRT to my current TN (I guess that's what it is) but it's been a long time now so maybe it was a big change.

I definitely notice the blacks being sorta grayish with this TN, would an IPS be better or worse for that?
>>
>>51854973
>>51854984
Oh, sorry. I'm willing to go for a 24" and up, not 27" and up. I changed my mind on that the moment I saw the prices
>>
Buy an iiyama
>>
>>51855008
>I'll dig around in your link a bit too.

It's probably the best display forum on the internet, so this is where you should open a thread and ask for recommendations. Certainly not /g/. People here are almost as clueless about displays as they are about mice. I'm hardly an expert and everything I know I've just picked up reading online, yet I have vastly better knowledge on the subject than 99.9% of /g/ and that's no exaggeration.

>CRTs are pretty great, I had one for six years before I upgraded to my current monitor. The thing is still alive and great, I gave it to a family member. I don't really remember the difference in blacks being too big of an issue going from the CRT to my current TN (I guess that's what it is) but it's been a long time now so maybe it was a big change.

Perhaps you've had a bad CRT or kept your brightness too high. CRTs have vastly superior black levels, though it's vulnerable to how much light there is in your room. It's almost the opposite with LCDs because their grey blacks appear a lot darker in brightly lit rooms.

>I definitely notice the blacks being sorta grayish with this TN, would an IPS be better or worse for that?

IPS panels generally provide slightly better blacks than TN panels. However, not all TN panels are utter shit, so it depends. VA panels are better than both, even significantly so.
>>
>>51855053
i was about to propose this :)
or philips because mercury free
>>
>>51855086
Alright, thanks. I've got the final final of college tomorrow so I can't hang around the thread any longer, hopefully OP found all this stuff useful too.

I'll be looking for a 24" 1080p 144hz IPS monitor for ~$350 if I can manage it, and I guess I'll just have to make sacrifices from there. I might look into VA too if I can find one that hits all the right points and isn't too expensive. I'm surprised I actually got quality help from /g/, usually it's a waste of time. Good job anons.
>>
File: 1436976806655.png (869 KB, 753x706) Image search: [Google]
1436976806655.png
869 KB, 753x706
some, still pretty confused and indecisive
>>
>>51855132
There is literally no 1080p 144hz IPS monitors right now. There is 1440p, but no 1080p. I think it was asus that announced they were working on 1080p 120hz IPS if I remember correctly. No idea
>>
Hey peeps I'm looking for every reason not to get an amd gpu please ruin them for me I have $550 to spend and live in New Zealand cheers
>>
>>51855608
>>>/g/sqt
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.