[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am curious - who benefits from the SSDs the most? I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: ssd_generic-100043624-orig[1].jpg (77 KB, 1200x829) Image search: [Google]
ssd_generic-100043624-orig[1].jpg
77 KB, 1200x829
I am curious - who benefits from the SSDs the most?

I can't see the point of them aside from boot time, which is pretty much irrelevant.

They have comparable/worse write speeds to HDDs, so they are not that great for video/image editing .

They don't make much difference for gaymen since there are barely any I/O operations aside from loadings and sometimes asset streaming.

You don't need fast I/O when programming since you are working with files that are mostly few kbs in size.

So - what are they good for? E-peen?
>>
>>51849808
>They have comparable/worse write speeds to HDDs

There is no way this isn't bait, GG anon, it'll just be you holding up the HDD companies when the rest of the world has gone Solid State
>>
File: esclaves4.jpg (34 KB, 295x339) Image search: [Google]
esclaves4.jpg
34 KB, 295x339
>no real difference for gaymen
but muh loading times
also
>worse write speeds
not in random write m8

but to be honest, the ones that benefit the most from SSDs are laptop users, since it can be thrown around without having platters or heads that go completely rip
>>
The only reason to have a magnetic HDD is backup. My newest built is going to have 2x M.2 NVME sticks with a 1 TB WD blue for backup since solid state loses its memory after a certain amount of time.
>>
>>51849808
The jews
>>
>>51849808
HDDs are a joke. Joke read/write speeds, joke sound, joke durability. The only argument for buying them is if you're really poor.
>>
>>51849974
>joke sound

Do mp3's on SSD's not degrade in quality because they don't have rotational velocodensity like platter devices?
>>
>>51849875
>>51849944
>>51849958
>>51849974

Are those /g/ tabs opening much faster now?
Was it worth all the money?
>>
>>51850020
>implying I don't have faster loading and search times for my vast collection of Mongolian two dimensional copulation animations
>>
>>51850020
>maximum projection
>>
>>51850100
There weren't any usage cases mentioned so I assume they only use it for e-peen as well as spouting buzzwords and memes on /g/
>>
>>51850020
How does this relate to the jews?
>>
>>51850229
>loading transferring files 10-30x faster
>not having an annoying sound
>lasting a multiple time longer
>only used for e-peen
If you don't have the imagination to come up with a use case there was no hope for you. It's alright if you're poor, we understand.
>>
>>51850341
Yep, I fail to imagine a real usage case aside from server environment, please enlighten me.

>loading transferring files 10-30x faster
Great for benchmarks and moving your ebin 4chan reaction images around, Cool usage case

>not having an annoying sound
It only matters if you are captain autismo that uses his pc as media center in his living room while sitting 1m away from the case

>lasting multiple time longer
While shrinking.

I give you 1/10 for nice usage of meme arrows and deflecting the question with cheap ad hominem
>>
>>51849808
>I am curious - who benefits from the SSDs the most?
the chinese because they produce it, but ultimately the jews
>>
File: Capture.png (543 KB, 799x692) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
543 KB, 799x692
>>51849808
Slower than HDDs my ass.

What they're good for? What is RAM good for? You could just read/write to tape.
>>
>>51850538
>spending $300 just to post benchmarks with chink cartoons on them on /g/

Nice. Good investment, tbqh.
>>
File: Capture2.png (541 KB, 800x692) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
541 KB, 800x692
>>51850580
I replaced my Sata2 SSD from 2009, after about 50000 power on hours and 80 TiB writes.
If it lasts me another 6 years I got no regrets. It got all the good stuff, NVMe, PCIe connection, and plenty of speed.
>>
>They have comparable/worse write speeds to HDDs, so they are not that great for video/image editing .

That's the whole reason to get them. Because the read/write speeds are 10x as fast as HDD.

Every time you run into a situation where your HDD read/write has bottlenecked your performance, an SSD would have helped.
>>
>>51850733
> where your HDD read/write has bottlenecked your performance

Like what?
>>
I've been using SSDs for a few years and thought it might just be placebo, so I went back to HDD for a bit to find out.

I forgot that programs used to take time to load. Every single time I went to do anything it would take a second or more to get a window open and able to interact with it.

I'm sure if I never used an SSD before I wouldn't particularly mind, but it's one of things where you just can't go back once you've seen how good it is. Like the first time you see an IPS display. Or see a 120hz+ refresh rate. Poor people have it easy. They don't even know what they're missing.
>>
File: lol.jpg (15 KB, 236x332) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
15 KB, 236x332
>He fell for the SSD meme
>>
>>51850793
meant for
>>51850775
>>
Compiling and building projects is such a breeze on ssd

(abap consultant)
>>
SSDs are only useful for servers. There is no reason to use them in a desktop PC. You don't need Xeons or ECC Ram in a desktop, and you don't need SSDs either.
>>
>>51850827
Just make a RAM disk. Cheaper and faster. Disk drives are for long term storage, all your running data and program working set should be in RAM anyway.
>>
>>51850847
I have to work on a laptop, so it's not an option it's really ridiculous that G people think that they can fit any meme solution for every case
>>
>>51850868
so what, my laptop has 16GB of ram
>>
File: 1447942603614.jpg (149 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447942603614.jpg
149 KB, 1280x720
>>51850880
>>>51850868 (You)
>so what, my laptop has 16GB of ram

>implying that has a better rig than mine
>>
Crucial mx200 for $65 my shit loads in 12seconds and I have faster load times for games like GTAV with 135gb free still
>>
>>51850898
If you have 16+GB of RAM then how is making a RAM disk ``not an option''?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.