[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /g/, Why didn't u put a xeon/dual xeons in your machine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Xeon comparison.jpg (1 MB, 3844x2160) Image search: [Google]
Xeon comparison.jpg
1 MB, 3844x2160
hey /g/,
Why didn't u put a xeon/dual xeons in your machine?
there's literally no better option if you get the right one for the right price.
>>
Also, go with 1366, not 775 or older
>>
No response? Jews must be behind this...
>>
>>51846088
>Why didn't u put a xeon/dual xeons in your machine?
Got a pair of Woodcrests chugging away in mine.
>>
File: Speccy.png.jpg (102 KB, 613x556) Image search: [Google]
Speccy.png.jpg
102 KB, 613x556
>implying I didn't
>>
>tfw I did this shit before it became a meme

To anyone who's seriously interested in it and not just trying to force a meme know this, the high performance to price ratio does not come without it's trade offs and there will be some situations where it won't perform as well as you'd have hoped.

Do research first, lots of it. Don't just jump on the first motherboard you find. Make sure you understand what you'll be losing out on by going with older hardware and what dual CPUs are good and not so good at. Also, don't bother with anything older than 1366 and don't be tempted by AMD even if you could get a quad socket board for cheap.
>>
>>51849079
Op here, You have a point sir the main drawbacks are barebones mobos and strange form factors imo
>>
>>51846088
What is the advantage?
>>
>>51848915
>96GB trichannel ddr
Is that even enough?
>>
>>51849572
Not for minecraft server.
>>
>>51849339
Form factor isn't a huge issue if you're handy with a drill, just move the stand offs. Also there are ATX compliant boards available, that's why I said to do lots of research. The same goes with feature lacking motherboards, whilst there are some that only have on PCIE slot and fuck all back panel connections there are plenty that have more.

There are however drawbacks that are unavoidable, such as the power needed and heat generated and the lack of modern features like USB 3.0, SATA III, PCIE 3.0, and probably others.
>>
>>51846088
I wasn't lucky enough to get a hold of a ThinkStation D20 from corporate surplus when they were refreshing, just an S20.

>>51849598
In defense of it, those are easily added with cards. Although if you're looking at SLI you'll might be shit out of luck, but if you're able to consider that kind of setup maybe bang/buck bullshit isn't as much of a concern for you.
>>
>>51848915
Have you tried overclocking?

setfsb or blck
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (1 KB, 447x26) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
1 KB, 447x26
>paying $25 for 100 (one hundred) extra MHz

Only at Intel
>>
>>51846088
Because you will pay more than the difference for error checking ram.
>>
>>51849689
>the only difference is clock speed
>>
>>51849662
>In defense of it, those are easily added with cards.
Possibly. The problem is that it's PCIE 2.0, or even worse 1.0, and many expansion cards are designed for 3.0 and so with the limited amount of lanes you may not end up getting the full bandwidth. It can work sometimes, again it's a matter of doing some thorough research.

>if you're able to consider that kind of setup maybe bang/buck bullshit isn't as much of a concern for you.
True, sometimes you will just have to accept the drawbacks, just make sure you're aware of them.

> if you're looking at SLI you'll might be shit out of luck
I can't say I've seen a board that has SLI support in its specs, except for the SR-2 godboard of course, however there are some that support Crossfire. I used to run two 290s on one, ran like shit though. I'm not actually sure if SLI only works if the board is certified or whether it could possibly work with any board that has two 8x+ slots.

>>51849682
The only dual socket 1366 board that can overclock is the SR-2.

>>51849691
I got 32GB of ECC (8GB sticks too) for about £60. It's actually usually cheaper than non-ECC.
>>
>>51849691
>implying
>2016
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.