[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convince me not to Are there some real benefits by upgrading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: upgradepl0x.png (228 KB, 859x566) Image search: [Google]
upgradepl0x.png
228 KB, 859x566
Convince me not to
Are there some real benefits by upgrading?
Is it really botnet?
>>
If you're already on 8 / 8.1 (from the looks of your pic, you are) then you've been keked already you might as well go to 10 for the sloppy seconds
>>
>>51845426
>using 8.1
Then just fucking do it.
>>
Not really, every version of Windows now has the botnet backported and not updating to the botnet exposes your PC to malware so it's impossible to avoid.

The only sensible thing to do is to move to GNU/Linux or *BSD. Macs have probable botnet as well but if you're desperate to avoid GNU/Linux or *BSD it would probably be at least marginally better than Microsoft malware/spyware.
>>
File: torres.png (47 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
torres.png
47 KB, 300x100
>>51845426
Close window, dowload Gentoo, make a bootable usb and I N S T A L L G E N T O O.

/thread
>>
File: windows 10 final botnets.jpg (2 MB, 2560x2938) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 final botnets.jpg
2 MB, 2560x2938
>>
>>51845426
You can go and fuck yourself and continue eating shit for what I care, op..
>>
You should upgrade. It works a lot better, looks better, is more secure, and has the latest features. It's also Windows, so it's backwards compatible.

It's really sexy as fuck if you ask me, I disabled all the botnet stuff (except error reporting) and removed the search bar from my taskbar.

The UI improvement is huge from Windows 8 and even 7, everything is more easily accessible and the start menu is finally good looking AND useful.
>>
File: 1444296260603.png (31 KB, 382x203) Image search: [Google]
1444296260603.png
31 KB, 382x203
>>51845799
Pajeet, pls
>>
>>51845426
do it OP w10 is fucking cool
>>
>>51845426
Holly fuck, the options are literally "Upgrade now" and "Start upgrading now". What the fuck, Microsoft?
>>
>>51845822
I think it looks a lot better than glossy Windows 7

>>51845513
If you really wanted to disabled Telemetry that bad then go find an Enterprise or Educational copy, I think it's a good idea to have this enabled at least with basic settings so Microsoft can actually diagnose errors in Windows.

I work as a software developer on a web platform and trying to reproduce a bug without user crash data is nearly impossible. I would never even know it happened unless I accidentally somehow stumbled upon it, and that has happened before too.

If you want all of these features disabled by default then you're going to make it harder for developers to fix bugs and even do performance optimizations because they don't have any usage data anymore.
>>
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases
is a protip
>>
>>51845491
that's false, the updates for win7 that contain botnet functionality aren't even required, and they don't contain security fixes.
>>
>>51846073
can telemetry be disabled in the educational edition?
>>
>>51845426
Once you disable the botnet and bullshit "features" it's pretty good, much better than windows 8.1.
>>
>>51846587
Not sure about educational but I know Enterprise you can use Spybot Anti-Beacon and set diagnostics to "Basic" which is just simple data.
>>
>>51846073
If it was only usage data, open source so I can confirm its only anonymous usage data and I had a easy way to disable it, then I'd have no problem with that.

Thats not actually the case.
>>
>>51847908
>disable
>>
>>51845426
You already have the botnet and spyware installed. (It was one of the updates on windows 8.1 the last couple of months)
>>
do it, they're fucking older windows releases intentionally like it's iOS.

outside of the additional time required to set up a PC (disable telemetry, remove fucking CANDY CRUSH), it's a better OS now.
>>
>using Windows at all
Gtfo.
>>
>>51846560
There's 12 telemetry updates that ms published and I uninstalled. If I was near my desktop I could get that list
>>
>>51845426
>Is it really botnet?
well that depends on your definition of it.

if you define botnet as "*someone might your computer for their own selfish purposes" (which is the the definition itself) then yes, Windows 10 is botnet.

if you define botnet as "anything which violates your privacy by tracking and profiling you and/or hijacking your personal data without your consent" then yes, it's botnet in this case as well.

* Microsoft.
>>
>>51845426
I liked the font in the title bar on 10 better...
>>
>>51848110
>what is DirectX

checkmate athiests
>>
Windows 10 is fine, just use it for gaming and shitposting. If you're going on darker websites like eight.chan, then use Linux. I use Ubuntu for browsing more underground chans like 8 and master with a hosts blocklists and a ton of addons in Pale Moon.

I also use Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS for extensive music production and video editing, plus proof-reading.

Ubuntu + Tor (or a proxy) for all other chans but this one.
>>
dual boot with a linux distro
otherwise go for it
>>
>>51845426
it's more aesthetically pleasing, but much less stable
>>
don't. it's better than 8.1, but still a kekhold of an OS. invest in a copy of windows 7 home premium, or pirate one.
>>
windows and osx have been botnets since ethernet and wifi. windows 7 and 8 are trash. upgrade to 10.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.