[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's dead, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
It's dead, right?
>>
>>51844983
Gone and forgotten.
>>
It's basically mini displayport with extra functionality. I don't ever think it'll be wildly popular but there's a niche for it.
>>
I didn't even know it existed until an apple shill mentioned it somewhere.
>>
Was it ever alive?

Apart from connecting a Mac to a Cinema Display does it do anything USB3 can't for a fraction the price?
>>
>>51845318
Much higher data rate
>>
>>51845364
AFAIK USB3 and Thunderbolt 1 are comparable. Thunderbolt 2 is faster but does anything even support it? (not that much supported TB1)
>>
>>51845364
For all of the three devices that use it
>>
>>51845390
...and I'd assume USB3.1 closes the gap.
>>
The new Dell XPS13 I helped someone set up supported Thunderbolt 3 using a USB Type C plug. I suspect that it's just going to be USB's high speed data interface going forward, kinda like how Bluetooth 4 split it into a low power mode and a high-speed mode that just uses the bluetooth stack to setup a point-to-point WiFi connection.
>>
Thunderbolt was supposed to bring on the external GPU revolution. What happened?
>>
its dead for proofs, which includes myself.
i had the chance to use a thunderbolt 1 ssd bank and display. its so fucking quick. if i had the money i would buy it in a heartbeat.

just imagine what the fiber optic versions are capable of.
>>
>>51845468
poorfags*
>>
>>51845428
Having all these incompatible plugs isn't helping things. This was also one of the undoings of Firewire.
>>
>>51844983
what's that? never seen it. some kind of proprietary connector?
looks apple-like with all the white.
>>
So I assume figure Macs will also adopt the type-c thunderbolt port. So if it does catch on, are older macs with the expresssport-thunderbolt port sol?
>>
>>51845496

This is the opposite. The USB Type C plug is taking over, and other protocols, like DisplayPort and Thunderbolt, will be supported over it.

It's more going to be confusing because your laptop will have 5 of the same plug, but only 2 will support external Displayport monitors, and only one can be used to charge your computer from, and only a different one will be usable for Thunderbolt peripherals.
>>
>>51845404
Doesn't mean it can't do it
>>
>>51845532
ist and intel designed connector, macs and PCs use it, but usually only expensive PCs. its basically display port with a 20Gbps bandwidth.

extremely paraphrased and i think i got the bandwidth and speed wrong, read the official docs on its website/apples
apple.com

>>51845532
not proprietary, but only used on high end/expensive PCS. is a niche market toole for people that ned multiple HD displays, or super fast storage

>>51845555
there are sure to be adapters, they won't be able to use the full speed, akin to using USB 3.0 on a USB 2.0/1.0 port

https://thunderbolttechnology.net

should answer any questions
>>
>>51844983

Worst connector mechanically I have ever used. Even HDMI is better and it is complete shit. Accidentally move your connected device 1 mm and you lose signal, check. Connector worn out after a year of use, check. Why the fuck can't anyone design a proper connector?
>>
>>51845532
read the faqs
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq
>>
>>51845795

Works fine for me. You're probably holding yours wrong.
>>
>>51845425
But then again now there's TB3.
>>
>>51845887

I feel even HDMI is too prone to mechanical stress. Try connecting any mobile device and moving it around like you'd presume you could and you will lose signal way too often and after a year or two eventually damage the connector. Never really had that much problems with it since it mostly held up just enough for whatever device I was using to be replaced before the connector gave out.

But this fucking thunderbolt shit? I have not once used an Apple laptop that can hold a signal while you move the thing a few millimeters or just bump the table it is resting on and I have used tens for work. It's just fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>51845425
>>
>>51846132
I'm sorry for that image quality
>>
>>51845318
It can do audio better than USB. (Well, anything can do audio better than USB, but still.)

>>51845444
Nobody gives a shit about external GPUs.
>>
>>51845444
The laptop CPU (even if it's an intel one) is still a bottleneck. It's more practical to just build a desktop.
>>
>>51844983
don't even know what it is
>>
>>51846514
what if its the top i7 you can get in a laptop? wouldn't that be the same as a top i5 in a desktop?
i dont know cpu comparisons between desktop and laptop
>>
>>51845364
Yeah, that argument never panned out for FireWire, either.
>>
>>51846541
>https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq
enlighten yourself
>>
>>51846174
>literally better in every aspect
>/g/ still hates it
don't try to reason with these mud trolls
>>
>>51846580
firewire was actually a standard everyone used, mainly because you could easily find hard drives that used it. there are so few thunderbolt drives that its useless as a data transfer cable in the real world
>>
>>51846576
It's still a fucking stupid idea, holy shit.
Nobody wants a frankenstein monster spread all over their table with all kinds of cables everywhere, just for some autistic purpose. >muh laptop can play games

Get a fucking desktop if you want a powerful PC.
>>
>>51846614
>superior yet nobody uses it
Sounds like something /g/ would like.
>>
>>51846580
That argument never panned out for FireWire because usb's today are actually faster.

Will USB 4.0 even reach half the speed of thunderbolt?
>>
>>51846614
TB is pretty good. Only retards hate it.
I hate that it's proprietary Intel x86 only, though.
>>
>>51846618
>everyone used
My entire professional life with computers and devices since 1989, I've only ever had to deal with two FireWire-only devices, so you're overstating it more than a little.

That's like saying everyone had Voodoo graphics cards; sure they were the best for a time, but it wasn't exactly widespread.
>>
>>51846576
Then your laptop is going to cost like 2k+. Most laptops that have an i7 actually only have 2 real cores and 4 threads on the CPU. This is inferior to a desktop i5 with 4 real cores. The fact that i7s operate between 2-3 GHz makes the bottleneck problem worse.

So again, it's more practical to just build a desktop. A custom desktop using an i5 + R9 270X can be built around $600.
>>
>>51846614
Is it an open standard?
>>
>>51846669
i used to work in the entertainment industry, and firewire drives were the main standard for externals when dealing with video editing

naturally when in a static environment you were dealing with nas devices. but considering how macs are today, thunderbolt is only useful for ethernet. do thunderbolt to ethernet adapters even support 10 gig cables or is it just gigabit?
>>
>>51846684
>real cores

can you newfags please use the terms "physical core" and "logical core" please?
We older folk would appreciate it.
>>
my first ipod used firewire. Was forced to use itunes on windows, back then I wanted to kill myself it was that unresponsive
>>
>>51846718
It might confuse people and make them think a logical core is a physical core. But ok, I'll try to use the correct terminology next time.
>>
>>51846629
electricity is 3x the avg cost where I love, I live off gaming laptops. My bill is already high enough as it is.
>>
>>51846853
Confusion is the best path to wisdom.
>>
The only way it will ever be popular is that it will explicitly and officially support external graphics cards so people won't have to build a gaming rig separately. Instead people will buy laptops with no discrete GPU but a powerful CPU and a desk setup of e-gpu when they want to do computation or gaymen.
>>
File: 3353983.jpg (20 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
3353983.jpg
20 KB, 600x600
If you would buy a Gaming Laptop, which one would you choose? I'm moving into a tiny apartment and don't have room for a desk any more.

Pic related is my current choice, Gigabyte P35X V4-NE001T. 4.8lbs, 15.6" 1080p display, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Intel i7 5700HQ, GTX 980M and 16GB ram. All this for $1600.
>>
>>51846913
I am idiot. This was supposed to be its own thread. Please ignore.
>>
>>51846930
pro tip - you can delete posts
>>
>>51844983
>Faster than USB 3

as long as time is money thunderbolt will be better
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.