[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
want a new project. never done anything like this before. any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: images-5.jpg (10 KB, 207x243) Image search: [Google]
images-5.jpg
10 KB, 207x243
want a new project. never done anything like this before. any advice, good projects to do. general PI thread.
>>
File: 14483627129529.png (366 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
14483627129529.png
366 KB, 780x439
>>51843367
Make your own personal assistant that can answer simple questions like "How is the weather like?" or "What is 13 + 37?" or something like that.
>>
>>51843367
i though i might use my rPi 2 for a minecraft server, it's shit. the low ram really kills it.
>>
Best advice I can give you.

Dont get one, its an useless piece of crap
>>
>>51844177
Raspberry is very bad tho, there are much better alternatives.
>>
>>51844280
>>Dont get one,
This
> its an useless piece of crap
Don't know about that, but I thought yeah cool I can do something with this, but eventually both versions ended in a drawer collecting dust
>>
>>51844177
Don't blame the hardware, Minecraft is coded like shit. It's made in fucking java of all things
>>
>>51844141
I've been wanting to do this but voice recognition and shit seems very hard to understand without knowing enough C++
>>
>>51844280
this.

Get some other cheap arm board. I have a Cubieboard 2, currently works as small home server with 2 TB SATA winchester and some services like Syncthing (like BTsync but free and better), public FTP, Apache2 with cgi for some shell scripts and it runs fine. Installing Debian on it was the most work, as you have to use their shitty bootloader and manually install it
>>
>>51843367
I am going to buy raspberry pi 2 soon, I will try to make it home server or simple media center just 4 fun.
>>
>>51844280
>>51844393
>VPN server
>>
>>51844613
Still overpriced and underpowered.
>>
>>51844571
You should get odroid c1, it's much faster and costs just as much as pi 2. If you're not gonna do much with it, you could get pi zero since it's only $5
>>
>>51844674
i have one at home running as VPN.
My home is in the netherlands so i have fast internet, unprotected piracy and such.

No downside discovered
>>
Own three pis, all are collecting dust right now.

I eventually realized that for the same money you can just get old x86 netbooks.

The pi really only really makes sense as a headless media server/ NAS type of thing, if your main usage is going to involve plugging in a display, keyboard, mouse, and maybe battery you might as well just go with a device that has all that built in already.

It makes a decent emulation machine but N64 is still horrible and no (PC) Starcraft or AOE is a major buzzkill for me. A point in the pi's favor is that the PSX emu seemed pretty much flawless whereas the N270 netbooks struggled to run it at 75% speed.

On the plus side, it did get me into linux which is now my main OS.
>>
>>51844769
me too, i'm also >>51844566
i forgot to say, but i have transmission-daemon and VPN on it too. 120/10 net here, unrestricted piracy too. I just think that its price is too high compared to other random cheap ARM boards
>>
>>51844678
odroid c1+ is pretty boss, 1.5 ghz quad core with eMMC support, full gigabit ethernet, onboard RTC and IR rcvr, plus the android support is top notch.
>>
File: tumblr_nf25ceSKkD1touov2o1_500.jpg (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nf25ceSKkD1touov2o1_500.jpg
95 KB, 500x500
>>51844470
There is this but it is made using google speech to text api and javascript but i don't know...

https://www.talater.com/annyang/
>>
>>51844177
enable zram or something, buy a cheap 1-2gb usb drive that you are willing to waste and make a swap of it
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.