[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/open/ source thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
I taught it would be a good idea to start a thread for the discussion of open source/ "free" software.

We have a lot of open source projects now and our obsession is now moving to the hardware world, thanks to open source 3d printers and CNC machine's. We now for example have Arduino, Novena (complete open hardware laptop) and you also have the Open Source Ecology project which aims to make all sorts of things open source.

Also what is new are projects to make the government more open and use open data.

It al made me think of a future where everything is open source, an utopian dream, no product will have features bad for the consumer (no planned obscelesence, no backdoor's and spying feutures), decentralised production of goods (things will no longer have to come from China, you will just be able to get goods from decentralised fabrication places), open democracy ( you canworld? and discuss with government on the internet/ rather than voting on a president every 4 year you can vote for legislations every day), faster innovation (no patents blocking innovation), scalable (if we reach space than we only need some tools and the internet and then we can start building there).

Is open source gonna save us?
How will open source change the world?
Or am I just a freetard and are Microsoft, NSA, Google and Facebook the good guys?
>>
File: 62910127.jpg (102 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
62910127.jpg
102 KB, 500x333
>>
>>51841093
Filthy degenerate
>>
>>51841093
You mean FOSS right, open source doesn't grant the user the four essential freedoms.
>>
>>51841586
Yes I'm talking about FOSS and FOSH(?), but I find open source just a nice term to describe these things. Free software and free hardware bring alot of confusion of what free means. Essentially what these free software and hardware are part of the open commons. We freetards need some political ideology that unites us I think open-commonism is the best name to give the ideology.
>>
When will there be decent OSS alternatives to adobe products?
Or an office suite with a decent UI?
>>
>>51841821
Gimp / Inkscape / libre-office, they all get the job done only takes some time to get yourself familiar to these tools
>>
>>51841754
Well next time please refer to it as FOSS. Although Open Source is a large part of freedom in software, its not everything and must be distinguished from its Free (as in libre, not gratis) counterpart
>>
>>51841973
I don't really agree since if a project is open source it makes no sense to put a restrictive licence over that project, it is indeed theoretically plausible but makes no God damn sense. Can you name me an open source project with restrictive licensing?
>>
>>51841925
I said decent
>>
>>51842139
I don't think Microsoft edge is published under GPL same with the apple language thing. Stallman also used to have issues with the BSD licence, although I think it's fixed now
>>
>>51842315
Microsoft edge is not Open Source some parts including it's JavaScript engine which has an MIT licence so not restrictive. Apple has it's own licence, APSL, of which version 2.0 is not restrictive the only problem the FSF has with this licence is that it is not copyleft and not compatible with the GPL. Previous versions did had some problems according to the FSF.
>>
>>51841754
>but I find open source just a nice term to describe these things.
the rest of the world doesn't care what you think is a nice term to describe things. Use the term "free software" as it more appropriately defines the goals behind the movement. Free as in Freedom.
>>
>>51841754
"Open Source" is just a really weak term. At least with free software you can properly explain what free means, with open source all it is is "you can look at the code", which alone doesn't free your computing.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.en
>>
Hey guys , i have this pc :

Motherboard : Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
Processor : Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.06GHz
GPU : Nvidia GeForce GTS450
RAM : 2 x Kingston 9905403-174.A00LF 2GB
PSU : Rasurbo 550w DLP 55.1
HDD : Western Digital WD Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache

Tell me wich part should i upgrade first , or in other words wich part is bottlenecking me?
>>
>>51843138
This is an open source thread, find a build thread or make your own namefag
>>
>>51843138
All parts are shit.
Anyway GTS450.
>>
>>51842678
But open source is spreading well beyond software, we now have open hardware, open data, open government, Massive open online course's, Open source books, open source movie's, and the list keeps on growing. Open source is a term which describes the core concept that these things have in common, freedom is a result of the transparency and accessibility of the source of the project.

I will try to make it clear in an example:
> Corporation Evil creates a product
> Product A is open source but it is restricitive, you can't use parts of the source for your own projects.
> Some internet fellow forks the project and adds it's own contributions also relicences it under some non restrictive licence
> He puts the project online
> Evil Co. flips out send out DMCA notices tries to sue that internet fellow
> Shit gets taken offline
> Community notices that it got taken offline and start responding by putting it back online on multiple locations.
> Evil Co. cannot sue everyone and eventually gives up

You see because it's open source and the source is accessible through the internet it can't be erased especially if there is a community around that project. It's similar to the fappining by leaking those foto's to the public domain (internet) and a community started to take notice of the leak. The corporations tried to take the leak offline but that was impossible, the community already started archiving the leak in decentralised ways. This is the nature of the internet.
>>
>>51841093

The pic is really funny because FOSS is at its core a capitalist concept.

>> the entire finance industry is based on FOSS
>> 90% of the corporate tech industry is based on FOSS

inb4 muh windoze desktop.

The front end is but 10%, the tip of the iceberg.

Industry standards are generally Free and OSS with a few exceptions.

If anything, Microsoft's corporatism is more a form of leverage used as a means to subvert true capitalism and industrial progression.
>>
>>51843448
How is FOSS a capitalist concept, it's true that many corporations rely on open source infrastructure but the products which they produce are not Open.
Imagine an open source extremist, someone who uses only open source products (both hardware and software (sadly this isn't yet possible)) and this extremist compiles everything from source (including his hardware which he 3d prints and manufactures himself). This guy is self sufficient, he doesn't need the market, he doesn't need capitalism.
>>
>>51843770
That is correct, the tools are FOSS, the products are not.

This is like having a patent on a wrench or a screw design - If it's not widely available it wont get adopted and subsequently wont be used.

The difference here is that the industry needs standards or else it'll be fucked.
>>
>open source thread
>it's all discussion about terminology
I want the memers and freetards to go
>>
File: che-stallman-tshirt-show.jpg (40 KB, 350x465) Image search: [Google]
che-stallman-tshirt-show.jpg
40 KB, 350x465
>>51841754
> open-commonism
RMS == Karl Marx confirmed!
>>
http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/06/its-actually-open-source-software-thats-eating-the-world/

how long b4 we freetards rule the world?
>>
>>51843138
You should upgrade the processor and RAM if you want to compile stuff properly, which is more likely to happen on an FOSS thread. If you want good graphics you should also upgrade the graphics card.

I haven't tried an SSD, but if you don't need much space you should give it a look. Otherwise (e.g. if you're short on storage) you should better get a larger HDD. How are you bottlenecked ?
>>
Join us now and share the software;You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.Join us now and share the software;You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.Hoarders can get piles of money,That is true, hackers, that is true.But they cannot help their neighbors;That's not good, hackers, that's not good.When we have enough free softwareAt our call, hackers, at our call,We'll kick out those dirty licensesEver more, hackers, ever more.Join us now and share the software;You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.Join us now and share the software;You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free
>>
>>51845890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.