[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens if you plug or unplug a stick of RAM while the computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: ram.jpg (295 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
ram.jpg
295 KB, 1280x800
What happens if you plug or unplug a stick of RAM while the computer is running?
>>
It fucking dies
What are you expecting dude

What would happen if I 'uplugged' parts of your brain while you were running
>>
>>51838546
Isn't it hotswappable?
>>
>>51838546
>What would happen if I 'uplugged' parts of your brain while you were running
http://www.psypost.org/2015/10/scientists-reduce-belief-in-god-by-shutting-down-the-brains-medial-frontal-cortex-38516
>>
File: The SIMMS.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
The SIMMS.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
had a phone call from a retard that unplugged his RAM hot recently

surprisingly it only hung up and didn't detect the RAM in Windows (it did in the BIOS) until he re-seated each stick one by one

so it's not guaranteed death of components
>>
ecc registered is hotswap from memory
>>
>>51838546
I don't think it would though. There's obviously a chance it would, but I don't think so.

Why would it? There won't be surge in voltage, so the components should be fine. It would crash and maybe turn itself off, but that's pretty much all I think what would happen.

That being said, I'm obviously not going to try it.
>>
>>51838750
I meant 'die' as in 'freeze up and/or shut down'.
>>
Slightly different question. If you're quick, can you transfer RAM from a running machine to an identical one that's just been powered on and resume where you left off?
>>
If you do pull a stick of ram, will the data on there still be available? Since nothing has called the delete? Or does ram flush itself (I actually don't completely know how ram works in that sense if I'm honest, and that's pretty embarrassing for a student programmer)
>>
Your computer would crash obviously. Don't think it would really fry your stuff.
>>
>>51838796
No. Hardware needs to be initialized to the exact state as expected by the memory image.
>>
>>51838820
Yes, but it fades pretty quickly. This can be extended by cooling which is why one spying strategy is to cool the RAM of a running PC then use a very lightweight bootable disc (so it doesn't overwrite what's on there) to save it to a non volatile medium for later perusal. Certain security agencies also have devices for doing this.
>>
>>51838855
pretty cool
>>
>>51838855
Interesting bro, thanks
>>
The PC will freeze and the motherboard will peep a bit.

Restart your PC and it will run just fine.
>>
>>51838523
>even RAM sticks come full of rice now

Fucking why? What is the purpose of that? Do people seriously take looks into account when buying internal components?
>>
>>51838572
Usually no.
>>
>>51839981
Consumer desktop market has experienced a shift towards the enthusiast crowd, which surprise surprise are usually gaymer manchildren that like their PC cases with clear windows and full of LEDs.

Workstation/server memory doesn't have those flashy heatspreaders.
Also so called "value ram"
>>
>>51840014

I'm a gaymer manchildren but I don't want a computer made of rice.

Is there any performance or wuality difference between those "value ram" sticks and the shit in the OP? If I can get it for cheaper then I'll pick value over cheesy heatspreaders
>>
>>51840080
>Is there any performance or wuality difference between those "value ram" sticks and the shit in the OP? If I can get it for cheaper then I'll pick value over cheesy heatspreaders
they're cheaper because they don't have pointless cheesy heatspreaders that have to be machined/casted/painted/anodized and put on the stick.
>>
>>51838621
No it isn't...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.