[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I want to install Arch, I'm trying to go for ultra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: poo in a loo.png (678 KB, 2996x2511) Image search: [Google]
poo in a loo.png
678 KB, 2996x2511
Hi /g/ I want to install Arch, I'm trying to go for ultra minimalist but not when it would interfere with speedier workflow. To save me the hassle of reinstalling, I'd rather ask you guys in advance.

So far I have the following in mind:

i3 WM
cmus
firefox+vimperator
gpic view
ranger

are the default fonts fine these days?

Also general Arch thread.
>>
so if you get mc instead of ranger by accident you will reinstall
>>
>>51837582

yes, so before I even install it I'm asking you guys.
>>
fonts are ok

remember, hinting - hintfull, AA - true, lcdfilter - lcdnone, dpi - your_monitor_dpi

dejavu and terminus from repo
windows and roboto from the aur
>>
>>51837540
If you want to go 'minimalist' you should compile your own kernel and drop systemd in favor of any other init. Might want to look into busybox as it comes with slim gnu clones for the most used tools in a single binary. Also why firefox+vimperator? Firefox will switch to gtk3 soon and you'll have masses of unneded dbus services (like at-spi) you don't need at that point. Why not look into qutebrowser? Sure it needs python and qt5, but hell, it's still slimmer than anything using gtk3.
>>
>>51839758
void linux is rolling release without systemd
>>
>>51837657
>lcdnone
>messing with broken x DPI settings
Enjoy your huge, ugly fonts.
>>
>>51839758
Systemd is fucking amazing. It's as minimalist as you can get anyways.
>>
File: bait.jpg (169 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
169 KB, 1016x970
>>51839809
>systemd
>minimal
>>
>>51839793
>talking from my ass
>>
>>51839809
here we go again with this fucking bait
>>
>>51839828
Then why aren't you showing what the look like with those settings?
>>
ignore anybody suggesting against systemd, you will end up needing it eventually anyway.

"muh unix philosophy"
>>
>>51839758
>>51839809
>>51839835
Argument 1: Socket Activation.

I can have all the daemons I want ready to run without the security risk.
>>
>>51839863
>ignore anybody suggesting against Windows, you will end up needing it eventually anyway.
>"muh freedom"

Solid argument, good sir.
>>
>>51839841
sure
give me a min
>>
>>51837540
>i3 WM
It is also nice but I prefer to go with awesome. Semi-relavent: conky is a useful extension to any WM.
>cmus
+ mplayer
>firefox+vimperator
chromiu
>gpic view
>ranger
I you prefer to have gui instead, sunflower is pretty solid.
>>
File: scrot.png (184 KB, 840x1050) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
184 KB, 840x1050
>>51839841
>>
>>51840023
You've got to be kidding me. This is horrific.
>>
sure man
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.