[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it illegal to sell a product that uses open source? I dont
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Is it illegal to sell a product that uses open source?

I dont know much about coding or memorize syntax but i like taking stuff apart and changing things.
I just opened an apk and changed some of the code to suit my UI needs like names and stuff.

In exchange for your help ill give you an idea that can make money sort of:
An app that uses face recognition and rates people on a a scale of one to Kirsten Stewart.
>>
Depends on the licence. GPL? Fuck no. MIT/BSD? Go ahead faggot.
>>
Theres that one scene where she is a stripper. i bet theres a reason why they hire gay costume dressers.
>>
>>51836235
why is that?

are there people actively looking at code or licenses or something?
>>
>>51836261
GPL says you can use,modify, and redistribute the code, but any code you distribute must also be under the same GPL licence. The rest say you are free to redistribute under most circumstances with a few caviates.

Chances are, no one will check, but if they do, Richard Stallman will literally rape your dead corpse, and love it.
>>
>>51836235
you can sell GPL stuff as long as original, modified source code and license are available.
>>
>>51836243
That's one cute boy.
>>
>>51836313
good to know.
>>
>>51836235
>GPL? Fuck no
sure you can. as long as the software in your product contains the license info and where all source code is available, then it doesn't violate the license.
>>
>>51836313
>>51836345
ok.

what about android devices? can i buy them and then resell it as a product?
>>
>>51836163
Even with GPL you can sell software. Redhat does that all time.
The GPL is know to being difficult to work to corporations wanting to profit with free software, but they do it and they do it all the time.
>>
>>51836412
forgot pic
>>
>>51836412
Yes.
Just do it.
Altought the kernel in android uses GPL v. 2, the rest of android is licensed in a more free (free as negative freedom, ie. more permisive) license.
>>
>>51836412
the android licensing isn't going to be your problem. the hardware is where you are going to run into problems unless you have a contract with the manufacturer
>>
>>51836395
... from the thumbnail I thought that was John Connor from T2.
>>
>>51836412
The hardware is most likely patented so you are not allowed to do that.
You can be a reseller but I don't know what that requires.
Like if you buy a Samsung device and throw another ROM on it and then sell it?
>>
>>51836163
IIRC, as long as there is no copyright protection you are free to profit from it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.