[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wish there were a Web Dev board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1443932028573.jpg (49 KB, 908x867) Image search: [Google]
1443932028573.jpg
49 KB, 908x867
Alright, I'm a fuck boy web developer with a little over three years experience of horse shit. Coldfusion, full stack. I'm good with front-end stuff mostly -- I have skills in design, but at my tiny ass company I don't have the opportunity to capitalize on my talents or learn anything worth knowing in the industry. We literally don't even have source control. Everything regarding git, MVC, Object Oriented programming, frameworks, task runners, tools.. ANYTHING relevant in the industry right now, I've had to learn on my own.

I'm trying to get a new job but I've been shot down after applying and interviewing for countless mid-level dev jobs.

Should I just look for Jr. Developer roles? Am I fucked altogether at this point?

Second question: If you were going to start a javascript based, mobile app project would you use an Ionic/Angular/Cordova stack or React Native? Either way, I'll probably try and learn Node and convert my PHP api to JS.
>>
I'm really excited about Star Wars thb
>>
I need to rewatch Twin Peaks.
>>
Fargo is literally the best show of the decade.
>>
>>51834944
>Coldfusion

wut
>>
I swear to god you're me anon.

I'm in the same boat, but not nearly the amount of experience you have. LAMP environment, no version control, no testing, no oop, no RESTful APIs, and absolutely NO interest in trying, so for the past year I've not used anything I know much companies that would pay competitively would use.

So I've resorted to learning shit like PEAN stack (don't think that's an actual acronym. PostGRES, Express, Angular, Node) on my own for the chance to try it out at some JR. Position. Waiting on a call back from a company in Denver. And of course, they use Git, agile developer with bi-weekly sprints, testing, the whole nine yards.

And I guess Ionic Framework would be a good choice if you want to use Javascript (technically Angular.js I guess), but just a warning, it's possible you may not get approved on the Apple Market. They tend to be a little harsher on Hybrid apps.
>>
File: seinfeld.png (173 KB, 1453x304) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld.png
173 KB, 1453x304
>>51835087
Yeah, dude. We are me. All that shit. At least you're getting experience in JS. That seems like what it's all about. My app is basically done but it's all in PHP cause that's the first thing I learned. I thought JQuery Mobile would work until I got some serious native chops or something but it's a game and you basically HAVE to have push notifications for that shit. Since all these front-end jobs are requiring high level JS knowledge I figure I can just work on converting this app to a JS framework and use Node on the back end. I'm scared to death at figuring out websockets though.

Anyway, one of the guys in my office is actually finishing up development on an Ionic/Angular based Cordova app. He literally asked me what technologies to use for it and I got shoved off the project due to lack of personnel on other projects and just because he is a senior, even though that shit is exactly what I want to learn. Anyway, I don't think he's having trouble with the Apple app store. Basically they mostly want everything to look as close to their native shit as possible and Ionic mimics Apple UI, so it's mostly smooth sailing on that front from what I have heard. The only reason I'm doubtful in taking that approach on my app is because of Angular 2 and there not being a clear upgrade path, allegedly. If anyone can comment on that, that would be great. Furthermore, React seems like the new cool kid thing, and cool kid stuff seems like what you need to get jobs these days.
>>
>>51835087

Do you also work with Indians who copy paste code, use folder copies for version control and never write comments?
>>
>>51835307
Replace Indian with Polish people, and yes. Literally everything he's told me he's made, I normally copy and search in google and find a stackoverflow with the same exact code.

>>51835306
You're right, companies that use javascript frameworks seem to want whatever bleeding edge tech is out there. I hear React.js is the latest greatest (been asked that a couple of times on interviews now) so it might be worth checking out.

As far as Angular 1.x/2, I think it'd be a safe bet Google will be supporting Angular 1.x for at least another three or so years after 2's release, which from my understanding hasn't been decided yet (but I've seen is planned for mid-2016). I'll agree that's a touchy subject though. It doesn't hurt to at least study the basics because I'm sure the concepts will still transfer just fine.

Definitely go the -EAN stack though. Haven't regretted it since.
>>
>>51834944
Should have just gotten a CS degree man. I'm doing stellar with mine.
>>
>>51835306
BTW, did you use some type of PHP framework, or did you use vanilla PHP?
>>
So you don't have a degree, have only 3 years experience and you're applying for mid level positions.

Rrright.

I know the tiny tech start-up field is kind of anti-intellectual, but graduates have been taught by leaders their field and don't even get entry level positions without 2 years experience or nepotism. That's 6 years out of their life (more, when unis collude in the unemployment statistics manipulation by not graduating you) against your "I taught myself everything and work for my uncle's failing software business".

Get a degree anon, there's probably a heap of shit you haven't been taught that you actually need.

If you want to be equivalent to a graduate with two years experience, you need 8 years working the junior positions. Deal with it.
>>
>>51834944
whats the best way to start web dev? i have C programming experience, phtotoshop experience. i want to know what the best way to make websites is
>>
>>51835491
Nah.. I wrote it all out in procedural first cause that's all I knew, then I rewrote everything in OO php. All vanilla, though. Sucked.

>>51835444
Probably. I didn't because I've always been dogshit at math and good at art. I took an Informatics degree with a specialization in design. I actually think it would have been a perfect degree if we had actually focused on JS 100% more, but at the time it just wasn't relevant like that. That's the old uni vs bootcamp argument though. For a developer, the degree is more of an entree fee than anything (unless you're doing software based shit on a cs degree obv). I'm still happy with the way I went though.
>>
>>51835638
How dog shit are you at math?
>>
>>51835638
I went the bootcamp route too though. Don't regret it at all. Nowhere near as much debt as my friends who went to college are in plus finished much faster.

Although there's the negative that even though we discussed an implemented data structures and algorithms we didn't have the time to go too deep into each.

Either way, just take every day to learn more about your craft, keep grinding through (meaningful) jobs until you get to where you want to be. It will happen before you know it.
>>
>>51835588
nah I have a BA, see: >>51835638

>>51835661
Pretty dog shit. I had an algebra or trig class (can't remember) in college and I had a hard time. Struggled to make a C
>>
I figured this would be a good place to start, what's the current best way to self-teach myself modern front end web dev stuff?

Not sure where to start but most books these days seem archaic. What do I need to learn to jump in and start working ASAP?

Should I go to school?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.