[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/smpg/ - Streaming Media Player General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9
File: NexusPlayer.png (570 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
NexusPlayer.png
570 KB, 800x800
Welcome to /smpg/ - Streaming Media Player General

Here, we discuss our streaming media player boxes that we have acquired to play media over our home network to our TV.

Only retards, poorfags and NEETs watch media on their laptop, amirite?

I got pic related for $25 from Target's clearance sale. It's an official Nexus device so I'm currently running Android 6.0.1 with it right now. Kodi runs perfectly on it and I'm able to play high-bitrate MKVs from my Linux torrent box without any problems at all over Ethernet. (there's an adapter for it)

What streaming media player box did you guys get?
>>
My primary is a Sony Media Player. It worked great for a long time. I started having trouble because all the traffic goes through Sony's servers for some reason. If they get glitchy, so does Netflix.
>>
>>51834020
>My primary is a Sony Media Player.

My condolences.
>>
I hate the nexus player remote. You could use shield tv or fire tv remotes with it.
>>
>>51834141
It feels cheap but it works fine.
>>
>>51834020
lol
>>
>>51833982
>2015
>using Nexus Player
>6.0.1
lol, enjoy your fucked up black levels.
>>
>>51834900
I just turn off the hardware acceleration.
>>
>>51834900

The google dev said the fix is on the way, but it took them nearly 3 months to acknowledge it.
>>
>>51835344
Fuckers
>>
I got ahold of an 32GB Apple TV dev kit for $1 when Apple was handing them out a couple months ago, which is now just a normal retail Apple TV after software updates.

It's been pretty sweet. The remote is a nice little piece of kit... the touchpad is way nicer than cheap fiddly directional buttons, and the machine itself runs Plex, Netflix, very nicely. AirPlay works better on it than it does on older gen Apple TV's I've played with at my friends' houses.

It's also neat that you can drop homebrew apps on it with nothing more than an USB-C cable and an old mac.
>>
Ditched my Roku 3 because the video quality on Netflix wasn't good very good and I could never get HD quality on Youtube. I got a Fire TV now and all is well.
>>
File: q.jpg (212 KB, 1400x930) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
212 KB, 1400x930
So futuristic
>>
>>51836436
I still want one it looks so cool.
>>
File: DSM380_Lifestyle.jpg (33 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
DSM380_Lifestyle.jpg
33 KB, 1000x669
>>51836448
What about this one?
>>
is the Chromecast even worth looking at?

$35 seems pretty cheap.
>>
>>51836457
Nah
>>
>>51836467
Yea, I've never had any problems with it.
>>
Have a Chromecast and a Roku 3.

I prefer the chromecasts compatibility with android apps(obviously) but I like the Roku's remote and interface.

Should I look into the Nexus player or just stick with what I've got?
>>
Nexus player, couldn't resist x86 at that price, plus my first nexus device to fuck with ROMS on.
Only fuckery was getting files over smb into kodi, it didn't like the SMB server in OSX, after a few tries I made a debian VM with the shares mounted over sshfs then rebroadcast over samba.
Probably would have been easier to mount directly over SSHFS on the player itself, but I'm dum.
Right now watching demolition man on the thing, first holiday in 2 years, fun.
>>
File: P_20151213_182122.jpg (555 KB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
P_20151213_182122.jpg
555 KB, 4096x3072
>>51836507
Made it a nice little box.
Here.
>>
I've used a WDTV, Fire TV stick, Rasbperry Pi 1/2, and finally said fuck it and built a HTPC. It's worth it. The fact you can use programs like Event Ghost is worth it alone. Also you can build one for <$100 if you pick up a Frys deal that happens every so often. ~$35 for a Athlon 5350 + MSI motherboard. Will run 1080p 10bit just fine.
>>
>>51836563
That's bigger than my nuc.
>>
File: P_20151213_182112.jpg (3 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
P_20151213_182112.jpg
3 MB, 4096x3072
>>51836563
Here's a better pic
>>
>>51836467
Its worth every cent, but keep in mind, it won't do anything by itself, you need another device to "cast" what you want.
>>
>>51836597
and due to this, *everything* you send over the to chromecast is re-encoded at least once. with stuff that can run kodi/plex you often have the option of direct streaming, which will dump the streamed file as-is onto your player to play instead of re-encoding it before sending it over.
>>
>>51836563
Dust your shit holy fuck

Also are those quail eggs?
>>
>>51836577
120mm, exact diameter of a CD.
I thank that's almost, well, what's the word?
>>
Waiting for the Nvidia Shield to drop in price again.

Anything else I should look at instead?
>>
>>51836635
>Dust your shit holy fuck
I live in Australia, I dusted that all this morning.
>Also are those quail eggs?
Yeah, got some nice little Japanese quails in my backyard.
The rooster's giving one of the girls hell, so I've separated him.
Anyway, I wanna incubate them. Little fuckers lay more eggs than all my chockuns combined.
No idea where I'll keep the fuckers. Probably gonna need to buy a farm.
>>
File: sushi_1.jpg (58 KB, 450x333) Image search: [Google]
sushi_1.jpg
58 KB, 450x333
>>51836726
I love those eggs with some roe. Good stuff.
>>
>>51833982
any laptop can stream and stream well. i currently have a massively upgraded hp ex485 as my meida server, with a thinkpad t420 (with nvidia graphics, bought for 350 CAD in 2012) connected to my tv. before the thinkpad, my netbook did the job well. for local files, it would choke on 10 bit shit, but that's no big deal now. since i now have plex on the server, pretty much any machine i have can stream. don't need to buy any other devices.
>>
I have the 64gb Apple TV 4, and a Netgear RN202 NAS with Sonarr and CouchPotato. I have ditched Plex and now use Infuse, which doesn't require a central server, but has most of the same features.
>>
>>51836837
What does one lose and gain by going from Plex to Infuse? Do you still get metadata fetching and show theme songs and all that fun stuff?
>>
>>51836765
They're so fucking cute.
And delicious.
>>
>>51836908
Main reason i switched is because plex resets it's server settings overtime i reboot the NAS, and i couldn't be bothered troubleshooting. Plex is getting a bit stale as well. Infuse fetches metadata just like plex, but it's kept on the device that fetched it. You can also easily download subs whenever you want. Infuse also tracks your watch status and stuff just like plex does. Infuse is much sexier though,
>>
>>51836457
Looks gay
>>
>>51836507
Kodi wouldn't work with SMB on Windows 10 so it made me create a Linux server.
>>
> 2015
> not having a smart tv
>>
>>51837938
>2015
>being an average consumer

Stay retarded.
>>
File: roaming-gnome1.jpg (50 KB, 210x236) Image search: [Google]
roaming-gnome1.jpg
50 KB, 210x236
Hey guys, I'm looking for a streaming box to run kodi on for my brother's wedding gift.

Inb4 poorfag hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

He's literally moving out of the house a month before getting married and doesn't have that much disposable income.

Being the faggot that he is, I need to set the whole thing up for him. Do you recommend that I just get him a rpi and install osmc/openelec which will enable me to set up everything on my pi and then just throw the micro SD into his, or is there a cheap android that would be better?

Also osmc or openelec with a non cancerfluence skin?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>51838436
Get an android box.
>>
>>51838436
if he's a normie he'd like netflix, kodi doesn't have a working netflix plugin cause those bastard didn't gave out APIs. get something more official like (as said) an android box, then you can set up kodi but at least he'll have some applications
>>
>>51838436
Android for normies.
>>
>>51833982
The question here is obvious, how does it handle HEVC and H264 10b?

For $25 though, even if it can't play any of those, it's still a pretty good deal for the time being I'd say.
>>
>>51838550
>>51838590
>>51839792

Probably should have mentioned, he has a blueray player that will handle all the normie shit. I want to get him a kodi box for lihatv and Genesis plugins.
>>
>>51840019
Stick with Android. Don't bother with anything else.
>>
>buying any kind of locked-down shit-tier ARM-crap
it's like you love burning money.
>>
Is there any small android box with remote support capable of 4K 10bit HEVC?
>>
>>51840111
this. i bought a minix android tv box and its the shit love that thing
>>
>>51840421
>worrying about spending less than $100

kek stay poor
>>
File: fundit.jpg (11 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
fundit.jpg
11 KB, 267x200
>>51833982
If I buy a Nexus Player and install Amazon Underground and Amazon Instant Player on it, would it function the same as a Fire TV?

Or would it be missing some things?
>>
>>51842605
pretty sure amazon's fire shit is just a generic android device with amazon apps installed

the only think you'd be missing would be amazon's siri clone, which is of dubious utility at best
>>
MXIII with a 2tb hard drive and tons of yify rips(i know, but i only watch it on a 720p TV) played through kodi.

Anyone know how to set the hard drive to sleep when the system goes into sleep mode? If i put the MXIII to sleep, the hard drive(seagate backup lite) still spins and the LED is lit up. I dont want my drive to die early.
>>
Does anybody know of a streaming software setup that properly handles MKV ordered chapters? Kodi and Plex certainly don't and by looks of their forums they have no plans to implement support any time soon, which is bullshit.
>>
>>51837938
Smart TV's are so fucking stupid. How long do you keep your TV? My NEWEST TV is 2 years old, and my oldest(sony 720p LCD) is around 10. If EITHER of those had integrated computers in them, they would be absolute shit by todays standards and probably just something that'll get in the way.
>>
>>51836952
Can you access a external hooked to your netwok remotely with infuse? If I travel outside my WiFi can I still swatch my media? Also, can you share your media with other users and will infuse save their play back position?
>>
>>51836457
That thing was killed off back in 2012 i think. It was great at the time, but by todays standards its junk. The Rpi2 will run circles around it. Also, Boxee is dead, so you would have to load kodi on it anyway(if you even could) so the entire price premium for it is wasted.

I wish other boxes were designed to have internal hard drives like it though. ALL of them now a days expect you to either use an external drive, or NAS. And some(like the nexus player) dont even have a standard USB port, so if you want to use a USB hard drive you gotta use a OTG adapter.
>>
>>51842894
What sucks is that it's almost impossible to get a plain old dumb TV now.

In my case there was literally no dumb TV available that did what I needed so I had to buy a smart TV. I just use it as a dumb TV because holy hell the smart functions are bad. It runs android like some shit-tier tablet from 2012, a total lagfest.
>>
>>51842937
Why not just build a HTPC if you want an internal drive? I don't get it, I mean I expect the average layman to care but we're on /g/. There's plenty of SFF HTPC cases to choose from.
>>
>>51843030
Cause the cheapest intel set top box i could find was the Zotac Bi320, which is around $200cnd.

I wanted to replace my patriot box(I paid $30 for it back in 2010) with an android machine. I ended up getting a MXIII for around $80cnd. Still wish it had a internal drive well, for aesthetic reasons.
>>
>>51843174
Well what the fuck do you expect? The Boxee cost more than that on release.

Also you can build one yourself for less if you get a J1900 or something.
>>
>>51843030
>>51843174
HTPCs are dead. It's all cheap set top boxes and a server now. Fuck anything else.
>>
>>51843333
Why are you arguing with me, are you autistic or something? My issue is it costs negligible money to add an internal SATA port to an android box, and none of them seem to have it.

Even $200 ones dont have it(though some have EXTERNAL sata ports)

The cheapest i could put together a NUC-like system would be $250, using a barebones BI320.
>>
>>51843475
>Why are you arguing with me, are you autistic or something?

Are you? The solution is staring you in the face like my original statement but whatever. It should be obvious why Android set tops don't have it as they're all built around streaming media.
>>
>>51843475

>it costs negligible money to add an internal SATA port to an android box

Well, no. Adding an internal SATA port means adding an internal SATA bay, which means a larger enclosure, and, in some cases, larger packaging and more weight, which means more expensive shipping, more expensive shelf space. It also means creating a design that's meant to be semi-disassembled, which is inherently less elegant and appealing to consumers, which may hurt sales.

Business is complicated, you 12-year-old.
>>
>>51837938

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T
>>
File: zipyaru-20120418-40-00063.jpg (23 KB, 600x602) Image search: [Google]
zipyaru-20120418-40-00063.jpg
23 KB, 600x602
>>51833982
MK808B Plus vs Fire TV Stick

which one should I get senpai?
>>
>>51844474
>buying sticks

Get a box, nigger.
>>
>>51844586
w-which one should I get then?
I think Nexus Player is out of the question for the moment since all the hacking is being done on ARM systems.
>>
>>51844676
Any good box will do. Don't get a stick. You will regret the speed issues.
>>
>>51844735
how's this senpai?

http://www.banggood.com/M8S-Quad-Core-2G-RAM-8G-ROM-2_4G-5G-WIFI-Android-TV-Box-p-973951.html
>>
>>51844783
FireTV is going to get the best support, man. There's so many of them out there. Go with whatever is most common if you want the most hacking.
>>
>>51836563
so much stuff that could fail and fuck everything...

you need to streamline that shit anon.
>>
>>51845176

>Fire TV

That's the strangest spelling of "Apple TV" I've ever seen.
>>
>>51847181
The new Apple TV is shit. Siri is slow and useless and there's a set amount of apps that you have to wait for Apple to update.

Get a nexus player so you can have a remote and also Carr from phone when you want to.
>>
>>51848500
>The new Apple TV is shit. Siri is slow and useless and there's a set amount of apps that you have to wait for Apple to update.
Siri isn't a speed demon, but the latter half just isn't true. It has an app store just like normal iOS where 3rd-party devs can make tvOS apps available.

And if you're so inclined, you can plug into it with a USB-C cable and develop your own apps for it.
>>
>>51848500

I have two Nexus Players, and they're glitchy as fuck. And there's an app store for the ATV now.

I'm pretty sure you're a dumbass.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.