[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'm making my own OS >some faggot on dpt wtf why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: reactos-logo.png (17 KB, 246x127) Image search: [Google]
reactos-logo.png
17 KB, 246x127
>I'm making my own OS
>some faggot on dpt

wtf

why aren't you helping reactos instead?
>>
>ReactOS
>a 70% port of a 15 year old OS

Well, if you want to throw away your time.
>>
>>51833960
Sure why not.

Now explain what makes ReactOS so great.
>>
>helping a shitty NT clone that will never live up to our expectations instead of helping something superior like Plan 9

>>>/s/uicide
>>
>>51834286
>>helping a shitty NT clone that will never live up to our expectations instead of helping something superior like Plan 9
What's so great about Plan 9?
>>
>>51834266
>Now explain what makes ReactOS so great.
It's like Linux, but its free as in Freedom and can run Windows software without WinE.
>>
>Bolshevism-OS

No thanks.
>>
>>51834286

Something superior like Plan 9?

Shitnux hasn't managed to break 2% market share after 20 years, and you want to start work on UNIX II - The Quickening. Top kek.
>>
I'll keep on doing my own, it's not like those alternative OS will be useful anytime soon.
>>
ReactOS is never going to be finished.
At some point people realize NT is a horrible OS and then silently remove themselves from the development.
The dream is to have a free as in freedom windows.
But the people who care about freedom AND wants to install another OS does not want a never finished windows clone.
The reason Microsoft can never fix the design flaws in their OS is because that would break a lot of applications that rely on the broken design.
>>
>>51836027
Linux is better than Windows from usability point of view. I am suffering more when using Windows. Also, 2% market share is apparently enough to have enough contributors.
>>
>>51834264
12 year old
they target windows 2003 now
>>
>>51834266
A linux(?) distro styled after Windows XP and is also binary compatible with Windows executables.
>>
>>51837093

can I play the Sims on it

(1&2 Wont run in WINE)
>>
File: 1374346251600.gif (496 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1374346251600.gif
496 KB, 500x455
>install reactos in VM
>blank screen on boot
>>
>>51837146
just install your prefered buntu and setup XP vm with gpu access
>>
File: 1449967020184.jpg (74 KB, 400x566) Image search: [Google]
1449967020184.jpg
74 KB, 400x566
You know how much time and effort must be devoted to such a project. They have recreated so much of the core Win OS functionality, with such few people, not an entire army of people paid megabucks.

Why because I am low-level dev, and all of Windows core is closed source as you know, kernel debugging can only get you so far before becoming gruelling. But these guys seem to have the exact functionality as the original. How? I dare not ask..

Either way, it's a brilliant feat. And it can run .exe natively, and .sys Windows-only drivers also function correctly.

No wonder you are all such peasants when you can't appreciate such hard work.
>>
>>51839469
Yes, it's amazing what they accomplished. Actually I am using it to debug my windows drivers and applications.
>>
Does he need help with the logo?
>>
If I wanted to release my own variation of arch that's coupled with all of the packages I want and the configurations I want out of the box, how do I go about repackaging the system?

Say I wanted to install my version of arch right now on another pc. For backup purposes or just to have a uniform experience across my computers, what do?
>>
>>51839743
There are many variants. You can do a disk dump and/or use virtual machines, use orchestration (puppet, chef, ...), copy it over with rsync and a script to set up boot, or probably even use cloud deployment mechanisms like vanguard or ansible...
>>
>>51833960
Why would you support ReactOS rather than Linux.

It is far behind Windows, whereas Linux is ahead in most regards (as its adoption on anything but muh end user regular desktops shows).

Why not just help to kick Windows to the curb and get on with it on the better and free-er Linux?
>>
>>51836126
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>51837093
>forgot to mention it is literally never finished and never will be because of licensing issues

You would know this if you were walking your talk and actually contributing yourself, OP. ReactOS will never be done, talk to the developers on IRC.
>>
>>51833960
ReactOS was a great idea!

...Before Windows 7 came out. And every Linux distro released in the last decade.

Why would I want to use something that can do neither what Linux can, nor what modern Windows can? It can't run any Windows binaries that rely on even remotely new libraries. It can't use any core Windows services.

But wait, it's also Linux! ... Shitty, circa 2000 Linux, without ANY of the benefits of the last decade and a half.

It wants to be the best of both, but it's incomplete... But even when it's finished, it'll only just manage to be the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>51836082
>muh linux
>muh unix

VMS > Unix, every day of the week.
Guess what OS2 and WinNT were based on...
>>
>>51840201
reactos is a foss alternative to running legacy windows software, and to study windows internals

also, it's not linux, has nothing to do with linux, it uses its own from-scratch implementation of the NT kernel
the closest relation to linux it has it that bits and pieces of its userspace code is shared with wine (naturally)
>>
File: Fucking Adorable.jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Adorable.jpg
57 KB, 800x600
>>51839469
Honestly, I respect the devs and I think the idea is great. But, they've been working on it since 1996 and it's still in alpha. I know there's only a few people involved, but I can't help but feel they should've picked their fights more wisely. That being said, I honestly hope they suceed in the end
>>
>>51835955
>can run windows software without wine

oh you of little faith.
>>
>>51840560
>picked their fights more wisely.
replacing windows would be neat, but kind of beside the point

what's wrong with making a clone just for the sake of learning about the original?

like, if you wanted to learn more about how things like the windows nt kernel worked, reactos is a great resource, since they have a rather decent clone of it, complete with commented source code which anyone can view and modify
>>
>>51835955
and can't run any linux software. And it can't run most of the software Wine can. What's the point of this again?
>>
They are absolute madman, why are they wasting all their knowledge and skill on reverse engineering decade old windows versions?
>>
They tried a 120.000 dorrar kikestarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thorium/thorium-core-cloud-desktop
This failed and they then tried to create an Indiekikekike campagin, which... also failed!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reactos-community-edition
>>
You peasants do know the core NT kernel has not changed significantly in past few Windows versions. Same kernel32 API's, same bugs (if not a vulnerability they won't fix it), have been lingering around since XP, and still exist in WIN10.
>>
>>51834286

>Plan 9
>put on the back burner 20 years ago so they could concentrate on Inferno
>>
ReactOS is trying to solve a problem that does not exist anymore. Pretty much all server software has to support *nix now or else it is doomed to fail and on the desktop people only use web browsers anyways. It may be a fun playground if you speak Russian and are into OS development, but aside from that, it might as well die.
>>
>>51840759
In russia decades old windows run everything. ReactOS would help them migrate away from Microsoft botnet
>>
>>51840634
Yeah, it's perfect for people that want to go into OS development. All I'm saying is that they are kind behind the times if they want to actually expect the average person to use their OS, which is kind of a tragedy since windows is becoming more hostile towards the end-user nowadays with their telemetry service.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.