[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 17
File: better_even_inside.jpg (288 KB, 800x1360) Image search: [Google]
better_even_inside.jpg
288 KB, 800x1360
Daily reminder
>>
>>51832608
Guess which one you can dissasemble and replace broken part
>>
>>51832652
Why would I want to disassemble my laptop...call me crazy but i'll let a professional do it. Desktops can be messed with but I'm not opening up a laptop
>>
>>51832608
Daily reminder that apple products have a closed design?
>>
>>51832747
You mispronounced better design you neckbeard.
>>
>>51832652
You don't need to replace a broken part when the laptop isn't a piece of shit.
>>
>>51832763
You mispronounced c.uckold design.
>>
>>51832745
Laptops aren't that different from desktops.
Or at least they used to be similar before all this bullshit with soldered components started.
>>
>>51832792
nigger nigger nigger

go back to ur mud hut, Jamal.
>>
>>51832763
>insides of a PC
>design
Do you buy vertain grafic cards becausd they can glow in 60billion difcerent colours? Talking of autistic. Amirite?
>>
File: 51777777.png (163 KB, 674x888) Image search: [Google]
51777777.png
163 KB, 674x888
Daily reminder
>>
>>51832860
Gladly, and I will take my think pad, and your wife with me.
>>
>>51832781
>You need to replace whole laptop if smallest shit fucks up
Apple fags
>>
File: osx_screw.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
osx_screw.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
at least thinkpads have the decency to attach screws correctly, unlike macs

pic very much related
>>
>>51832608
Getting a "good laptop" is a ridiculous concept period, buy something midrange so you can do what you need to on the go and pay the extra money for a decent desktop
>>
>professional
>nerdshit
wow what a surprise like srsly omg
>>
>>51832745
Not even a professional is able to do shit when everything is permanently attached.
>>
>>51832745
>Desktops can be messed with but I'm not opening up a laptop
We're comparing Macs to Thinkpads. A Thinkpad will be easier to work on than any Mac desktop.
>>
>>51832745
So why compare the inside ?
>>
>>51832608
Sorry darling, it's the wrong side if you want to open your thinkpad.
>>
>>51832863
You can spaz out like that if you want, or you can look around and see lots of people praising the internal design, not because it looks good, but because it's efficient, remember how they praised the asymetric batteries on the first retina mbp? Or how every reviewer mentioned the different sized blades made the fan sound quieter? Wasn't apple the first mainstream company to put pcie storage in their main product line?

I like thinkpads, their durability and overall functionality over looks, but saying it takes no design to make the insides of a notebook better is just silly.

>>51832946
I also second this, after about 5 higher end ultrabooks / macs, I just feel like I could do the same on a cheap ass hp stream 13. Or just turn on my desktop.
>>
>>51832900
I'll make sure to send a postcard, nigger.
>>
>>51832781
Yeah....because macbooks never break. You right. And by right I mean retarded.

Anything with parts can mess up. It would be nice to be able to fix it without having to go to a store where their sole purpose is to sell you shit.

It would also be nice to upgrade parts when you want to. Or does Moore's law not apply to Apple products, either?

>>51832745
Laptops aren't that hard to work on. Similar to desktops, just in a smaller/tighter package. I make quite a bit of money repairing laptops.
>>
>memepads
kek, same tier with fagbooks
>>
>>51832992
And I will send you a mulatto baby, post dated 9 months.
>>
>>51833015
Nice try trying to justify your recent memepad purchase.

Neckbeards and applefags are in the same realm of delusion.
>>
>>51832781
>You don't need to replace a broken part when the laptop isn't a piece of shit.

This is true. Also, laptops are commodity hardware. You buy a good one, use it for 2 - 5 years, then pass it on to some poor person who can still get some use out of it.

/g/ is full of NEETs who gobble up the sloppy seconds from BigCo dumping aged, clunky Thinkpads and bragging about how well it runs an extremely lightweight OS and does complicated tasks like running vim/emacs and maybe playing a 720p anime download.
>>
>>51833051
That baby won't even survive the AIDs treatment it needs because of you, Jamal.
>>
>>51833015
>It would also be nice to upgrade parts when you want to. Or does Moore's law not apply to Apple products, either?

Implying that you're going to upgrade parts meaningful to performance like your CPU, bus, and chipset.

>Laptops aren't that hard to work on. Similar to desktops

What a meaningless statement.

> I make quite a bit of money repairing laptops.

You make money helping poor people to continue to limp along with their poor-people laptops.
>>
>>51833015
Don't forget
>a fucking pain in the ass to find replacement parts since everything needs to fit just so
>>
File: GAWDMUSCHINE.jpg (110 KB, 1000x829) Image search: [Google]
GAWDMUSCHINE.jpg
110 KB, 1000x829
>>51833088
Honestly, of all the recommendations I've gotten on /g/, the Thinkpad is probably the best one. My T420 is a great device.
>Cheaper than any new laptop
>Good build quality
>Easy to upgrade
>Looks Nice
>Trackpoint + 7 row keyboard is maximum comfy
It's perfect for web browsing, typing, watching videos, listening to music, playing retro games, and dicking around with Linux - things that a Laptop should be used for. Anything more and you should just get a Desktop.
>>
>>51832745
>call me crazy but i'll let a professional do it
*cringe*
I bet you don't even change your own oil
>>
>>51833119
Not my problem.
>>
>>51833456
It's not mine either because its remains are going to used as fertilizer in your third world country.
>>
>>51833280

Agreed. I have a T60. Hareware is ancient, but it just fucking works.
>>
File: MSI_gt72_guts.jpg (52 KB, 600x380) Image search: [Google]
MSI_gt72_guts.jpg
52 KB, 600x380
Macbook guts looks disgusting.
>>
>>51833652
Your unshaved neckbeard looks disgusting.
>>
>>51833280
>tfw bought an x230 for exactly these reasons.

No 7 row keyboard but it runs dota 2 on low@60fps so that's a bonus for me.
>>
>>51833740
>ad-hominem
>>
File: _.jpg (32 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
32 KB, 300x168
>>51832608
fuck you
>>
File: 1410138050263.gif (916 KB, 490x367) Image search: [Google]
1410138050263.gif
916 KB, 490x367
>>51833921
>>
Thinkfags
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
Why doesn't Louis make videos of repairing Thinkpads?
I'm sure he has repaired a few.
>>
>>51833280
>Anything more and you should just get a Desktop.
Unless you have a real fucking job and that involves writing software on location around the country/world. But you fucking 12 year old faggots can't really understand that concept.

Thinkpads were fucking neat-o in 2001 but even then if you actually had to use one for real work or God for fucking bid, carry one around the country with you, it was just a heavy, ugly, worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>51834720
I don't see how coding is more hardware-intensive than any of the things I listed. What I really meant was high-end video editing, 3-D rendering, and gaming. Y'know, workstation stuff. If you need to do that while on the road, then you probably work for a company that can buy you a 3000$ desktop replacement anyway, and the used laptop is moot.

What laptop would you use for business?
>>
File: LouisCK.jpg (2 MB, 1775x2219) Image search: [Google]
LouisCK.jpg
2 MB, 1775x2219
>>51833280
>web browsing, typing, watching videos, listening to music, playing retro games, and dicking around with Linux - things that a Laptop should be used for

So, exactly what I said. You schmucks have extremely low-powered needs.

There are people out there doing real work with powerful software, and the Macbooks are able to get it done. You can bitch and moan about how they should use a desktop, but they're the ones doing it and succeeding, while you're all just posting on /g/.
>>
>>51835025
>I don't see how coding is more hardware-intensive than any of the things I listed.

Because you're an ignorant 12 year-old kid.

> Y'know, workstation stuff. If you need to do that while on the road, then you probably work for a company that can buy you a 3000$ desktop replacement anyway, and the used laptop is moot.

Dumbfuck, did you ignore the parent comment, and mine? PEOPLE ARE DOING THAT SHIT ON THE GO. Either because that's part of the job or because they want to. Your completely arbitrary, ignorant, childish, retarded black-and-white claim that "anything more and you should be using a desktop" is just ridiculous.
>>
>>51835119
Your shitbooks are meme equipment, and don't automatically make you a better more learned person if you use them. That's all you need to know
>>
>>51835119
>>51835143
These ad hominems are great, guys. I'm actually a 19 year old college student. If I find in the future I need a beefy laptop to do my job as a physicist, then I won't hesitate to buy one.

I never claimed the used Thinkpad route was the best for every use case, just that it's not a bad deal for the majority of people out there, myself included.

While the i7-2640m in my Thinkpad does get destroyed by the quad core i7s in the high-end MacBook Pros, it still stacks up very well against most consumer laptops, including the entry level MacBooks.
>>
File: bad bait.jpg (6 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
bad bait.jpg
6 KB, 225x224
>>51835119
Even his face is screaming bait. He's a comedian for gods sake
>>
>>51832745
>find broken part
>take out a few screws
>take off bottom cover
>replace broken part
>put it back on

Laptops are just like desktops in replacing parts, easy peasy
>>
>>51833525
Tell that to your alimony payments, kek.
>>
>>51835809
>Laptops are just like desktops in replacing parts, easy peasy
I'd say it's more of a mixed bag, and it depends on what part you're trying to replace.
>>
>>51833652
>Filename
That's an MSI, you failure of a human.
>>
File: 1442854066932.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1442854066932.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>51832956
>professional
>>
>>51832968
Rekt
>>
>>51832745
>Why would I want to disassemble my laptop...call me crazy but i'll let a professional do it. Desktops can be messed with but I'm not opening up a laptop

Alcoholic here. i've replaced screens in chromebooks while blackout. If I can do it, so can you.
>>
>>51833015
> It would also be nice to upgrade parts when you want to. Or does Moore's law not apply to Apple products, either?

It's a mac, you are supposed to buy a new computer every year. If a fan is making noise the people who fix it just take out a new computer and say that the files got lost. You are not supposed to fix parts or update parts. If you need a upgrade then buy a new computer. If you own anything but the newest it is going to be super slow due to forced updates anyway even if you change to a different cpu because the software looks at what kind of machine you have. If you don't have the newest it is going to be slow. It is just apple's way to tell poor fucks to stop using their computers.
>>
>>51832745
>applefags willingly get keked by 'IT Professionals"
You know the 'professional' will buy the parts and watch a youtube video made by a 'MrRajeesh7897'? Thats literally how its done now. Noone goes to college to learn how to fix a Mac, or any laptop for that matter. They watch the indian who's done it a thousand times because he gets them all from his cousins who fence stolen laptops from western countries.

They do a piss poor job, which voids your warranty anyways, and slap a 'professional service' fee on top.

Get of /g/. You don't belong here. At the very least, stay inside your containment board. You tech-retard hipster fuck.

>>>/g/hpg/
>>
>>51837629
filtered
>>
>>51832745
>scared to open a laptop
Neo-/g/ is real
>>
>>51832745
Get off /g/ fag
>>
Can somebody Redpill me on the genuine disadvantages of Mac OS? I'm going to college for mechanical engineering next fall and I'm probably going to spend around 2K or so on a new laptop. I was considering one of Lenovo's laptops, especially the new p70. But what of a MacBook? What's the battery life like? What are my actual limitations. Currently using arch. I'd assume I would need some CAD software later on in maybe the second or third year.
>>
File: IMG_20151120_160118.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_160118.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
The inside of my Asus X501 looks disgusting, look at all that tape.
>>
>>51832652
Neither.. HA!
>>
>>51832652
Never heard of ifixit.com?
>>
>>51837266
It's so easy. You can do it. It's your world...
>>
>>51833652
>MSI_gt72_guts.jpg
c'mon man, you're gonna have to try harder than that
>>
>>51832608
And the Mac still overheats like crazy. Even without a discrete GPU. Garbage.
>>
>>51832608
MacBook - now form over function even on the inside.
>>
>>51833898
nigger
>>
>>51840511
>Ifixit.com

Anon, I know this is a macfag thread, but DUUUUUDDDEEEEEE

That's pants on head retarded. Run away, fast, from Ifixit and their guides and parts.
>>
>>51841927
The internal design is actually rather clever.

The design is mostly symmetrical, which brings balance to the laptop.
The dual fans allow lower RPM, and are quieter as a result.
The batteries are isolated from the heat generating components, prolonging their life and increasing safety.
Air intakes are on the side and outtakes are on the hinge edge, preventing obstruction and preserving symmetry.
On top of it all it's beautiful, even the parts a normal user should never see. This says a lot.
>>
>>51843615
>and are quieter as a result.
0/10
>>
File: 1449816232088.png (165 KB, 1300x900) Image search: [Google]
1449816232088.png
165 KB, 1300x900
>>51843615
>The internal design is cramped to maximize available space for the battery and gimp cooling to make up for osx's abysmal battery management.

Fixed.
>>
>>51833017
newer thinkpads are on par wiith any other laptop. i think the people who buy older ones for cheap is a meme. old outdated overheating much better technology available for cheaper
>>
>>51833280
i got a t410s its trash i never use it. cheap feeling build shit mousepad shit screen
>>
File: osx-vs-windows-battery-life.png (59 KB, 598x338) Image search: [Google]
osx-vs-windows-battery-life.png
59 KB, 598x338
>>51843699
>osx's abysmal battery management.
Nice try shilling with outdated benchmarks, its actually the other way around.
>>
>>51843924
>claims shilling
>posts even older benchmark
>>
I bought a Macbook Air either late 2014 or early 2015 model to use as a long lasting internet browsing machine to go with my Asus G750JZ when I was in school.

Needless to say, my G750 lasted longer doing anything other than idling.
I guess props to Apple for making a computer that can be on and on battery for like 18 hours, so long as you just want to look at a dim background.
>>
>>51832781
another reason to get a think pad then :^)
>>
>>51833015
Please could you tell me a little bit about how you run your business repairing laptops? I do warranty repairs on Laptops and tablets as part of my job for a major manufacture , but want to start doing this for myself. Is the money good? what do you charge? where do you advertise?
>>
>>51843613
Why?
>>
>>51832781
same china parts inside and same intel shit
>>
I will never understand why people get so butthurt over what computer other people use.
>>
>>51844414
they want one computer one os one religion and so on for everybody
>>
>>51832608
So what do you do when the battery wears out then? Or you want to upgrade the RAM? You can't.
>>
>>51844414
Neither do I, horses for courses and all that.

I've owned a Macbook in the past, a self-built workstation and am currently typing this on me X220.

Both were great in their own way... as well as bad. Same goes for OS'.

There are always people who will go on a fucking crusade about a brand...
>>
>>51844475
Get a new one and make the new leader proud of you
>>
>>51844478
Aren't those people the real shills?
>>
>>51844478
True, but no denying that apple products are over-hyped, over priced and when they break they will be very expensive to fix (unless you bought that very expensive extended warranty) I suppose that's all alright if you don't care about money.
>>
>>51835119
Avatarfaggotry isn't authorized you cocu
>>
>>51844478
Can't believe how cheap these things are now. Might actually get one, need to replace my aging HP dm3
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111829048375
>>
alright guys i haven't been on /g/ for a while but im here on this shitty ass piece of fuck ass fuck macbook pro let me just fucking tell you fucking motherfuckers about how fucking SHIT apple is

there's a common problem with macbooks where a the sensor in the audio out gets messed up and it thinks there's something plugged in when there's not, you can find grillions of such complaints on the web and typically the solution is to blow compressed air in it, or rub it with alcohol, or jab it with a toothpick

the problem is that when it thinks there is something plugged into the audio out OSX completely refuses to play sound over your speakers. and i don't mean by default, or if you don't tinker with the settings. it is actually literally impossible to get it to make so much as a squeak over the regular speakers as long as that thing is on. if, for example, you wanted to play music or video game sounds over your speakers while having a call on your headset, you couldn't do that.

well, this macbook pro has that problem right now and the most interesting thing about it is that on windows 7 everything works just fine. with nothing plugged into the port but the retarded little red light that indicates the sensor is on, it can still play shit over the regular speakers. boot into OSX? haha enjoy literally not having sound on your $8501827650182 macbook pro that "just works" lmao

fucking anyone who thinks that anything is remotely ok with apple is a retard
>>
>>51844669
huh, never had an issue
>>
>>51832608
how are you supposed to repair it when it goes wrong? for example, on the thinkpad (which looks very well built btw) all the USB ports and power connector and others are very sensibly on separate daughter boards. So if they get broken you can replace them. It's designed for an industrial application and to be easily serviceable.
>>
>>51832763
>form over function is better
>in a discussion about internals which won't be ever seen
Toppest of keks
>>
>>51844669
oh yeah and while im here idk if you guys know but do you guys know about their laptop chargers? so the chargers for these things are like $80 or something ludicrous. the charger itself works just fine, very durable never breaks. the cable that connects it to your computer, probably worth $5 at most, is designed to break in 2 years or so. now, you can replace the cable going out the other end into the electrical port, because that one detaches. but that's not the one that they designed to break. they designed this one to break and it's not detachable so you have to replace the entire fucking thing. being a regular apple customer, i can tell you that years in the past while this was still the case you could sweet talk any of guys at the apple store into giving you replacements for free. lately that has changed and they enforce their really short (6 months? maybe a year) warranty on them being the strict amount of time you can replace them within. which i think is ludicrous. like in the past you go and you complain and say shit like hey you know i love apple computers and ill suck your dick but this $80 charger that can't even last 2 years because the $5 cable on it breaks is kind of silly and they're just like haha dont care give us money. fucking stupid.

>>51844685
yeah I mean it's a common problem but it's not like the audio port itself is faulty or prone to getting dusty or anything. it's just that if it does get stuff mucked up in it, the way OSX works really shits on you. also i have no idea what's wrong with mine because i did my best to clean it out and it's still fucked. apple store "genius" idea? reinstall the entire fucking OS. fucking ridiculous. problem that literally thousands of people have and they still don't know how to fix it. even if I did reinstall the entire OS I'm 99% sure the problem would persist just because the port would still be mucked up.
>>
File: 1449749183988.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1449749183988.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>51844414
linux/thinkpad users are like RADICAL muslims

they absolutely hate people who don't practice their beliefs and even bash the linux noobs who don't use their obscure distro that you have to compile for hours
>>
>>51844414
Is this your first day on the internet?
I'm on my phone right now, but I'll have you know that if I weren't, I'd post an image of StopLikingWhatIDontLike.jpeg
>>
>>51844995
Is it an android or an ios phone? We can fucking start arguing about which is better right fucking now!
>>
>>51844966
uh, source?
>>
>>51845054
ok but like let's be real here both android and iOS are pretty junky. at least, ive used both and i pretty actively disliked both of them, although i guess for different reasons.
>>
>>51845060
>>>/gif/7811179
>>
>>51845060
Sorry, I got it off /pol/ a day ago...

no idea where is it from
>>
alright i was kind of hoping there would be some apple fanboys i could argue with

anyone know where i can go to argue with apple fanboys?
>>
>>51845082
Yeah..I actually agree with you. At times ios feels really limited, and on older phones, laggy. I like that they support the older models, though, so they don't remain vulnerable to exploits, unlike most android phones, where the majority of phones don't get more than 2 updates.

Also, android is really CPU and RAM hungry compared to WP and iOS. Modern android phones have twice the specs of the newest iphone yet still manage to lag. It's customizable? So fucking what? It drops the battery amazingly quickly thanks to the wakelocks from the Play Services and various other apps.

Windows Phone has potential, since it runs just as good as iOS, but I can't see it taking off. Same thing for Sailfish, I don't think it will ever become big.
>>
>>51843924
>Web Browser Battery Test
>>
>>51833295
Yeah, I'm going to get myself all filthy, waste all afternoon underneath my car, and risk dying from the jack failing just to save 20 bucks.
And really, it's only $10 you'd be saving because oil isn't free.

I guess it's fine if your time is completely worthless.
>>
>>51845222
yeah iOS is limited but in general I like basically everything about its interface more than android. i think it's pretty stupid how much apple puts everything on lockdown but at least i like the UI to begin with so it's not super important that I have to jailbreak it to do anything. you can't exactly mod android to stop being shit at all the things it is shit at.

i don't think apple supports old phones that well at all. security updates are nice but the phones get so slow. they're not unusable but they aren't nice anymore. just because they are over 2 years old and just because apple wants you to buy a new phone every other year doesn't mean there's anything actually wrong with the hardware. the phone could still be quick and snappy, it's just not anymore because that's how they get you to buy a new one.
>>
>>51832865
Thats not a get you retard
>>
>>51845556
Then why do you eat shit from your hands?
>>
File: macfags_btfo.jpg (175 KB, 988x802) Image search: [Google]
macfags_btfo.jpg
175 KB, 988x802
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (68 KB, 388x380) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
68 KB, 388x380
>you will never know what it is you are supposed to reminded of
>>
File: DSCN0186.jpg (995 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0186.jpg
995 KB, 1500x1125
>>51845443
>being such a nerd you cant even get your hands dirty

how adorable
>>
>>51832763
nice one neckbeard, can you post your fedora collection? which arcade fire album was the best?
>>
>>51845054
Android.
GS5 with an extended Zerolemon battery that lasts me the entire workweek, and a 128Gb SD card full of Chinese cartoons.
Come at me, faggot.
>>
tfw no applefags to argue with
>>
>>51832652

I made the mistake of working on a friends 2010 Macbook pro once and I will never touch one ever again.

They use the most delicate, finicky parts that I've ever experienced with a laptop.
>>
>>51835143
>>51834720
>I have nothing to say so I'll just call him names
>>
>>51844340
This.
Why?
>>
>>51845443
>I'm going to get myself all filthy
if you're clumsy
>waste all afternoon underneath my car
it takes an hour, if that
>and risk dying from the jack
buy a better jack.
>>
>>51832745
>Typical macfag.
>>
>>51845575
Why would it turbo boost all day? Ulv core M cpus outperform the last gen macbook air
>>
>>51832745
lmao if i was your son i'd fucking kill myself for carrying your kek genes
>>
>>51850427
>it takes an hour, if that
so it really is wasted money
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.