[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ye olde thread >>51818057 Post your simple/small/stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 1348781920213_9431859.png (36 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
1348781920213_9431859.png
36 KB, 420x294
Ye olde thread >>51818057

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

take at least 10 seconds to google first
read the sticky before posting >>39894014 → →

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt threa
>>
File: 1409630808061.png (257 KB, 516x526) Image search: [Google]
1409630808061.png
257 KB, 516x526
>>51831635
do you like this picture?.
>>
Is there any reason why any mounting software I use doesn't show my usb? I've tried rufus as well, there is nothing.

I'm trying to make the usb bootable so I can reinstall windows 7 since I somehow killed it when I was setting up dual boot. Debian by the way.
>>
File: australian girls.jpg (124 KB, 522x760) Image search: [Google]
australian girls.jpg
124 KB, 522x760
Should I buy Intel Pentium G3250 or AMD X2 370K

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Richland-Desktop-Processor-AD370KOKHLBOX/dp/B00CPLGFME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-Processor-FCLGA1-150-BX80646G3250/dp/B00LV8U31G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449968080&sr=8-1&keywords=g3250
>>
How can I get Drastic (the Android DS emulator) for free?
Every version of it crashes when I try to go into options. I mean, it can emulate DS games, but I need to use the options, and not a single "free" version works
>>
Is there anyway I can sort of pin a program on my screen, like make it so if I click onto another one the program in question doesn't automatically minimize.
>>
File: e51.gif (31 KB, 318x472) Image search: [Google]
e51.gif
31 KB, 318x472
>>51831722
in this scenario the g3250 literally rapes 370k
>>
My parents' PC is fucked, they've been using it unintelligently for years since I left home and there's all sorts of nasty shit installed on it. I think I'm just going to format and do a fresh OS install. However, in cases where the PC is infected six ways to Sunday, is it usually recommended to format even secondary drives used mainly for storage?
>>
i can make game, website, program for you
>>
I was using a computer I've had since 2008.

It's been running fine for years and then just a few minutes ago I heard a loud pop and smelled some smoke.

Did the power supply die?
>>
File: 1448863792745.webm (3 MB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
1448863792745.webm
3 MB, 640x350
>>51831836
Why doesn't the amd CPU have a higher clock speed?
>>
>>51831912
Probably.

Take the parts out and smell them individually. to see where the smell is coming from.
>>
Do routers with DD-WRT/OpenWRT have each separate ethernet port as a separate NIC? I need a router/router like thing that can either assign IP addresses to specific ports or run multiple instances of DHCPD for each port to simulate that.
>>
>>51831800
I dunno, but it would probably help other people help you if you said what OS you're trying to do this on.
>>
>>51831635
I'm trying to convert a bunch of epub to PDF files
I'm using the command:
find ./ -name "*.epub" -exec ebook-convert {} filename.pdf \;

What I would like to know is if there is a way that I can copy the filename from the find command and have it put in the output.

For example, if i'm converting:
book_1.epub and book_2.epub
using the command above it would name both of the files the same thing.

>tl;dr
how do I bulk convert epub to PDF and keep original filename
>>
How do I overclock my CPU? It is an AMD Sempron 2650 APU with radeon r3 1.45 GHz (shitty, I know, I'm poor). My mobo is GA-AM1M-S2P and the current BIOS won't let me overclock, I can only decrease the clock.
>>
>>51831949
because it doesn't do as much per clock cycle as Intel so it has to be faster

GHZ != Speed
>>
>>51832268
figured it out.
I ended up doing:
find ./ -name "*.epub" -exec ebook-convert {} .pdf \;
[/cod]

I guess not specifying the file name and just the format fixed it
>>
>>51831857
Scan them for viruses. If there are programs installed on it just nuke it all (but save things like pictures and videos and other special digital data).

Most likely there is nothing wrong with drives used for storage but they may have let a virus in somehow
>>
>>51831912
have you looked?
jesus christ if you look it will probably take no more than 5 minutes to find out where the smoke came from
>>
I pressed fn+f7 key to disable touchpad while I was using the mouse because it was acting screwy (million clicks a second + randomly jumping everywhere), but when I pressed it again to get it back it didn't work.

Even restarted the laptop and it's still just off for some reason.

Either way, I found this:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/153789/syanptics-touchpad-wont-re-enable

I tried the first answer, but when I get back from tty1 I need to type my root password for a "PC/SC daemon" thing and nothing happens afterwards.

Touchpad settings read "Synaptics backend not found" (before and after trying this).

Pretty fucking annoying. openSUSE btw.
>>
File: foxfi.jpg (31 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
foxfi.jpg
31 KB, 1000x600
Why is FoxFi on the Galaxy S5 such a fucking piece of shit? Is it Indian engineering?

When you turn it on, everything works fine. Wi-fi tethering and all.

But when you turn it off, the internet on the phone no longer works and I have to restart the phone in order for the internet to work again. Every, fucking, time. And FoxFi can only be started once per restart cycle; if started a second time, it can't because it can't detect the internet like the rest of the apps on the phone.

Any ideas? Is this a known bug? Not my phone btw; I don't carry NSA devices on my person.
>>
>>51832292
Then what determines the speed and what does the GHz determine? And is cache relevant when choosing a CPU?
>>
File: cdburnerxp.jpg (283 KB, 1072x461) Image search: [Google]
cdburnerxp.jpg
283 KB, 1072x461
what do these options mean?

cdburnerxp.se won't load for some reason so I can't check the website
>>
File: hj.jpg (144 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
hj.jpg
144 KB, 1000x1000
For Christmas my dad wants a sound system for the back patio but my mom doesn't want to run wires through the wall. Would these be a good buy and then just allow him to use a tablet or something to stream his music? I've never heard of this brand., and idk what else to look for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3ZOM2C?keywords=wireless%20patio%20speakers&qid=1449969603&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7
>>
>>51832862
In short cache is like ram on the CPU.
The CPU can access the L Cache without having to travel to the actual RAM sticks.

The clock speed is the rate of electrical pulses:

1 GHz is 1 Billion pulses of electricity per second. Therefore your CPU can do 1 Billion operations a second

Again, in short, architecture plays an important role in how much can get done per pulse of electricity so to make up for that AMD usually has an insanely higher clock rate.

1GHz Intel is different from 1GHz AMD or 1GHz ARM

Each processor has its strong and weak points and depending on what you want to do with it will determine what processor you should buy.
>>
>>51831635
My psu is doing a really annoying cricket like sound when idle. Any ideas?
>>
>>51833114
fan? Maybe the fan changes speed and at low speed it squeaks?
>>
I have a HTPC that runs Windows 7 Home Edition. I wanted Remote Desktop, but fuck finding a Pro license or upgrading and all that.

So I'm figuring I will just install some Linux over it and go with that. Which distribution should I use? I need it to serve files up over the network, run Kodi, a torrent client, work with an AMD GPU, and work with a 360 controller and receiver.
>>
>>51833174
you can't adjust psu fan speed can't you? Guess i'll have to buy a new fan
>>
>>51832885
>Pad DVD size to 1GB (also “DVD High Compatibility”)
Writes at least 1GB data, no matter if there are 1GB of files or not. This is done to ensure compatibility to older DVD players. Note that it may take a while to write the data to hard disc when creating an ISO image with that option.

>Double Layer compatible mode
Burns Double Layer discs with the so-called “compatible mode”. Layers will be switched exactly at 1/2 of the data payload burned on the disc. Required for DVD-Video compilations to work properly, but should be always disabled for generic data discs (or quite a lot of disc capacity would be wasted).

>Modify IFO/BUP files if necesssary
Quite a lot of the movies are mastered with additional navigation offsets recorded to IFO/BUP files and not all of the mastering engines are compatible between each other. To increase DVD-Video compatibility, it is recommended to allow patching these files.

What, you don't know how to use Google Cache my nigga?
>>
>>51833254
thanks

>What, you don't know how to use Google Cache my nigga?
no, what's that?
>>
Whats the best program to run iso's? I think I've used powerISO and daemon tools but I do believe those are both supposed to be pretty bad. Any recommendations?
>>
>>51833214
I'm not sure you can, I've never done it.

Could also be some electrical part about to go bad if it is a really high pitch noise.
Can you upload an audio file of it?
>>
File: cached_google.png (25 KB, 536x195) Image search: [Google]
cached_google.png
25 KB, 536x195
>>51833275
click on the arrow by the URL
>>
>>51833290
Assuming you are using windows.. on Win8+ ISO mounting is built in, and all you have to do is double click it like any normal file to mount it. If you are using Windows 7, Daemon tools was my go-to iso mounter.
>>
So i just noticed that my wlan encryption isn't set to wpa2 ccmp yet, i should probably change it right away no
>>
>>51833039
And how did you know that Intel rapes AMD?
>>
>>51833549
benchmarks
>>
>>51833309
I cant post the fucking link because hiroshima thinks its spam any ideas? Ive tried shortening the url but nothing.
>>
File: 1442622079783.jpg (77 KB, 741x898) Image search: [Google]
1442622079783.jpg
77 KB, 741x898
>>51833593
What site do you recommend me?
>>
>>51833651
Anandtech benchmarks are better but passmark has more coverage
>>
>>51833612
Screencap the URL
>>
File: url.png (7 KB, 203x23) Image search: [Google]
url.png
7 KB, 203x23
>>51833738
>>
>>51833764
That sounds electrical, one of my USB wall chargers makes that same noise when I try to charge my phone. I would guess that your power supply is starting to go bad so you might want to start looking for a new one.
>>
>>51833832
yeah I thought so too, but i've had this forever and the voltages are fine.

Guess i'll have to add psu to the upgrade purchase, thanks for the help anon.
>>
>>51831726
Just fucking buy it. It's worth it.
>>
File: 20.png (44 KB, 172x187) Image search: [Google]
20.png
44 KB, 172x187
What does this icon mean that is on a lot of computer stuff? How come sometimes it's a 10 instead of a 20? What do they mean?
>>
>>51834100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_RoHS
>>
File: saber mad.jpg (189 KB, 686x441) Image search: [Google]
saber mad.jpg
189 KB, 686x441
>>51834050
but it costs money
>>
File: 1449539930836.jpg (151 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449539930836.jpg
151 KB, 768x1024
>>51834100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_RoHS
>>
I got locked out of my verizon email account and the alternate email to retrieve my email is another verizon email to the same account. Is there another way to retrieve my email password? Will the code that they sent me expire and change back the password that I gave?
>>
>>51834131
>>51834142
thanks
>>
>>51834137
>being this poor
>>
>>51833870
buy one of those nice evga ones with the 10 year warranty. never have to worry about it for a while then.
>>
Can someone expand on the reasoning behind AMD being shit for upper-mid (4690 area) processors?

I know that more cores is a meme because no game developers bother to multithread anything. Is there more to it though?
>>
I know people are proponents of having a physical backup over RAID, in the most part, but I was wondering why it's common to suggest a physical backup in a whole new system? Anything wrong with having it in a HDD that's in the same case, and only having the SATA cable connected for a scheduled weekly backup (i.e. plug it in Wednesday evening for a 3AM backup, and then once confirmed successful unplug it the next morning)?

nb. I have a backup of more precious stuff at my mum's place (photos etc).
>>
>>51834249
AMD has significantly worse single-core performance. As someone who has an 8350 and has spent the last couple years regretting it, do not buy an AMD processor if the primary use of your PC is to play vidya. Wait and save up more money to buy an Intel.

Probably my favorite PC series, the Total War games, run like complete ass on AMD setups. As far as I know, there are no games which run better on AMD CPUs compared to an Intel CPU with a comparable number of cores. Better to spend a little more on Intel and know that yours is the setup that 99% of developers optimize for.
>>
Besides aesthetics and build quality, what reasons are there to choose a more expensive tower/case over a cheaper one?

I want to know what the $500 case has to offer that the $50 case doesn't.
>>
why would I care about getting a motherboard whose chipset supports RAID?

Also I read that with intel h61 you can't use and SSD
why is that?
>>
I started a thread not realizing this one was up so I fucked up there. With that being said, though, just open this in a new tab and check it out and reply here.

>>51834439
>>
I dropped my Moto G1 from my bed and now the flash wont turn on anymore.

Is it kill?
>>
>>51834572
higher end cases have better noise damping (foam lining but also generally better thought out geometry), better paint finish (my $50 case scratched extremely easily), more and more versatile fan mounts (+ radiator support) which typically come with good fans preinstalled, and lots of room for running cables behind the motherboard or velcro'd along struts. there's no reason to pay more than $120 at most for a case unless you really like the way one looks though.
>>
Can anyone give me a link where I can download Initial D soundtracks?

I had them all downloaded 9 years ago, but after going through several computers since then, I've had several corrupt files that don't play right. Plus, I'm sure Initial D has even more music out by now.

I realize this is an oddball question, but I figured since this is /g/, you guys are probably into techno and other forms of electronic music.
>>
How come if I keep my phone plugged in for a long time the battery drops from 100% to 98% after I unplug it?
>>
>>51834681
phones internally cut off the supply to the battery after it's fully charged so it doesn't wear out. yours might wait until it discharges again a certain amount before it'll start charging again.
>>
>>51831978
>>51832477
Yes I have. It looks like my motherboard and hard drive are fine, so it must have come from the power supply.

There was no smoke, only the smell.
>>
>>51834657
Time to use the warranty?
>>
File: cardashboard.jpg (251 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cardashboard.jpg
251 KB, 1920x1200
>>51834681
It's kind of like how the needles in your car's dashboard instruments move erratically when you first start the car.
>>
>>51834701
>>51834724
ok thanks
>>
I'm noticing that buying several smaller hard drives is cheaper than one larger hard drive.

For example, I can get three 2TB hard drives for $65 each, totaling $195, or I can get one 6TB hard drive for $270.

What's the reasoning behind this? In non-computing fields, this would be considered highly uneconomical.
>>
>>51834719
Speaking of this, is this a good power supply?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/457407/EL_Series_PSEL500_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply
My old one was only 430W.
>>
>>51834835
cheap noname psus never actually provide their advertised wattage, they've got shitty voltage regulation which decreases the life of components powered by them, and they risk failing spectacularly taking your entire computer with them. a lazy way to find a good supply is to only purchase the name brands and series listed here:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/legacy.html#psuInfoToggle
though that guy is a little too demanding with his choices so you can go with cheaper series from the same brands if they're well reviewed.
>>
Why does next day shipping cost more than 1-hour shipping on Amazon?
>>
>>51834905
fuck you
>>
>>51834919
What? I just thought it was legitimately odd that it costs me $10 to do next day shipping for my CPU I got but I can do 2 hour shipping for free or 1 hour shipping for $9. Do I have to tip the driver as well if I do the hourly versions?
>>
>>51834942
Well actually I should add the $10 was for CPU and mobo together so I didn't check how much it would have cost for the CPU alone (didn't check to see if they have my mobo on the "Now" side but assumed they wouldn't) still seemed odd to me though.
>>
I'm just setting up my computer and my pc cant connect to the internet, it says cant find driver for network adapter. How do I fix this?
>>
>>51835032
google "(your mobo model) drivers" and find the LAN drivers. copy those to the new pc through a flash drive.
>>
My friend is out of town for a month and wants me to watch his place for him, which includes feeding his two tigers, but unfortunately he's out of tiger food and the local pet store doesn't stock it. Any tips on where I can get some quick before they get too hungry?
>>
Wangblows here. I have an external hard drive that I store all my files on and move it between installs/PCs. It has a folder containing all the installers and shit for programs that I use/need, and there's also a folder within that folder containing shortcuts the the more necessary/common ones. Is it possible to make the shortcut targets relative? Every referenced file is in the up one level from the shortcut so it would be something like "../installer.exe", but that doesn't seem to work (it tells me invalid name or something).

The main problem is that the letter of my drive likes to change sometimes so when i have something like "E:/installers/program.exe" and now the drive is J:/ for whatever reason, the shortcut won't work anymore. Is there a way to have relative .lnk files? Also in the shortcut file's properties, there's a field called "target", which is a direct path to the file in quotes, and "start in", which is a path to just the folder the exe or whatever is in. Why is "start in" necessary and what does it do?
>>
>>51835122
go hire the first maldivians you see on the street as "servants"
>>
File: 256.png (2 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
256.png
2 KB, 300x100
I didn't update Win7 in more than 4 months, what updates are safe to install and what should I ignore? last time I had to ignore quite a bit of stuff (I don't want to install the Win10/spyware crap, just normal Win7 updates).

If you could redirect me to a maintained list of unnecessary updates, that would be nice.
>>
What video player should I use on Linux , I only watch mvk files,
>>
First time building a PC here.

What's a good OS? I'm already ruling out Windows 10 and Mac OS X.

I'm contemplating sticking with Windows 7 because I already have it, and because most lesser-known OSes tend to be incompatible with a lot of games (which is why I'm building a PC in the first place; if I weren't gaming, I'd get any regular old office PC).
>>
>>51835225
>4 months old
I dont really think you need to update.

If you ever need a reason to update windows is when you do a clean install.

Most updates are "Security" updates rather than stability and performance updates so its pointless to update.
>>
>>51835254
gaming on linux is impossible, wine and vms are both non-options. stick with 7. if you want rice to make it feel fresh, try out bb4win.
>>
How do you get and activate Windows 7 successfully? I can't find the old Daz Loader thread, and everything else looks sketchy as hell.
>>
>>51835225
The Windows 10 shitstorm happened around 4 months ago, so you're probably good already.

Every Windows 7 update thereafter is going to have the shit you don't want.

https://rbt.asia/g/thread/49886725
https://rbt.asia/g/thread/49791005
>>
>>51835254
Windows 7 Ultimate first then Linux Mint.

It would be better if you created a linux live USB for mint instead installing it since dualboot is a pain after some time.
>>
>>51834894
Evanix any good?

I live near a microcenter and they have a bunch of rebate deals on them right now.
>>
>>51835290
>Linux Mint

Honest question, why do people recommend Mint over Ubuntu? It has asinine security patch policies and looks like garbage compared to the more polished Unity.
>>
Does this seem like a good monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8E0K06/?tag=dislag-20
>>
>>51835308
>Ubuntu

Honest question, why do people recommend Ubuntu over Xubuntu? It has asinine memes and looks like garbage compared to the more polished XFCE.
>>
>>51835308
Because most people that want to try linux have no idea how to use it and mint just werks for new people.

If they enjoyed linux they would quickly change from mint.
If not and just want a linux OS for stuff they keep it or delete it.
>>
>>51835322
Not really, kinda overpriced.

Tell me your budget.
>>
>>51835347
Around $400 and $500.

I want 144Hz and a good response time first and foremost, this had the least input lag according to Displaylag.com
>>
>>51835322
I scrolled down and found a 27" monitor with the same specs from the same manufacturer for only $16 more.
>>
>>51835364
It's 1080p though. At 27" 1080p starts to lose its pixel density. And I don't particularly care about size, at least not for a computer monitor.
>>
>>51835361
BenQ XL2411Z
Better and only $250.

Or ASUS VG248QE, perfect gaming monitor but ASUS has started to become a shady brand when it comes to quality and warranty so i kinda dont recommend their monitors anymore.

Want to spend more? you only will get useless features.
>>
>>51834829
It just depends on which drives you're comparing
You can get 5 TB drives for $150 which is cheaper per TB than the 2TB for $65
>>
>>51835407
The ASUS VG248QE haves 1ms response time and 2ms input lag.
Which is perfect.
>>
>>51835421
>2ms input lag

The lowest input lag on monitors on Display Lag is 10ms so I call bullshit. And Tom's Hardware says it's 23ms.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vg248qe-144hz-gaming-monitor,3609-9.html
>>
>>51835457
All places test the input lag differently, they have their own ways, its like the BTB and GTG ratings.
They also change the meaning of "Input lag" or mix it with response time.
>>
I just installed a Virtual Machine (Ubuntu) and I'm wondering how to get the display size to match my monitor. Right now I have it on full screen and at 100% scaling but it's still a small box in the center of my screen.
>>
>>51835476
Well I'm pretty sure they didn't mix it up.
>>
>>51835515
Well then im not sure what they are testing because not even IPS monitors have 20ms input lag.
>>
Are zombies real?
>>
File: Untitled.png (103 KB, 1633x889) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
103 KB, 1633x889
I want to change the color of the text in circle 2 to white, and the color of the border (circle 3) to white and black respectively. What registry values do I need to change in circle one to do this?
>>
If I get a new motherboard will I be able to re-activate my same copy of W8 using phone activation?
>>
File: glitch.gif (326 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
glitch.gif
326 KB, 300x300
need some advice

I recently built my first computer. I bought all new parts but i kept my 500w PSU, hard drives, and GPU from my 8 year old first computer which was a best buy off the shelf PC.

I have been running my new PC for 3 months without any problems.

I recently upgraded my GPU to a R7 370 and that is when i ran into some issues. Most notably is when i play current generation games my hard drive gets loud. I can only imagine it's spinning very quickly. On the other hand when I'm playing games like LOL, CSS, or generally under light load them it is whisper quiet.

Every so often my main display will go black and glitch. I had 3 monitors setup when it happened and continue to happen when i have 2 monitors connected.

Could it be the hard drive that is causing problems? It is a 8 year old drive that has been used almost every single day since i got it. From what i'm aware it has not been dropped or seriously damaged and definitely has not been dropped or damaged since i installed it in my new PC> I ruled out the Beta Crimson drivers because i reinstalled the driver to the latest and it continues.

Not once did this problem occur when i was using my older GPU that did not need a 6pin power connector.

The .gif is a point of reference as to how my monitor acts when glitched though not 100% accurate
>>
>>51835572
Yes.

Most of them are because parasites.
>>
>>51835587
hard drives spin at a constant rate. you sure that's where the noise is coming from?

generally when they're failing you get clicks, not louder whirring.
>>
>>51835525
Okay, assuming I'm going higher end and will pay $500 or more, how about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009848

It's on saaaaaaaaaaaale.
>>
>>51835587
>R7 370
>500w PSU
Let me guess, its a bronze PSU that only can do 480w?

Anyway bad drives can cause lots of problems so its highly probable.
You will notice the clicking of death, then you know its dying.
>>
Can anyone help me out with OpenWRT? I'm trying to set up an old router I have to connect to my main network wirelessly and provide network access to wired devices. I've looked at the documentation and on the OpenWRT forums for creating a routed client but that seems to take input from lan and create output to a wireless network, the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

>simple
how2 Router1 (WiFi Only) > Router2 > LAN clients only with OpenWRT?
>>
Which windows update security update files should I avoid so that my copy of Win7 doesn't become a botnet for MS to spy on muh freedoms?
>>
>>51835641
anything involved KMS/WAT, google for exact codes.
>>
File: why the fuck.png (3 KB, 78x221) Image search: [Google]
why the fuck.png
3 KB, 78x221
Is there any way to change the size denominations in folder views?

I think it's stupid that I have files that are hundreds of megabytes each, but Windows still measures them in hundreds of thousands of kilobytes.
>>
>>51835600
I ruled out all of my case fans. They all spin at a constant RPM and when i heard the noise i checked every fan, including in fan controller software, and they aren't the cause of the noise. I also ruled out the backup HDD, i took it out and played a multiple current generation games and i know for a fact it's the my main Hard drive.
>>
>>51831635
I don't understand anything and have the brain of a cow.
What is better, SLI 970s or a single 980? Thanks.
>>
>>51835653
Do a surface read test.
>>
>>51835273
>>51835286

Okay then I'll just install the .NET Framework updates, 10x for the tips!
>>
>>51835669
Also, how many watts would be best for SLI 970s?
>>
>>51835698
800w gold rated PSU.
>>
>>51835652
Not natively, you'll need a third party file explorer for that.

https://explorerplusplus.com/
>>
Why is /g/ hates on the Corsair CX series power supply's?
What are other 80+ bronze budget power supply's
>>
>>51835673
aye captain i'm running a surface test right now.
>>
>>51835651
Sorry for being a POS faggot but I don't know how to google for those files or what I should be looking at. Care to spoonfeed?
>>
Bought a 55' smart and it has a fucking dead pixel or something like that. It's only visible in a black background, it appears as a little white spot.

I heard a dead pixel can "infect" other pixels. Is this true?
>>
>>51835741
Honestly just go through the list of updates and don't install any update that talks about Windows Activation Technologies (WAT), only one I remember is KB971033
>>
>>51835716
if you're on a budget they're fine. it's just that some retards think you ought to run a $500 gpu off a $60 psu.
>>
>>51835758
Not really, still get that warranty going, a dead pixel is a huge deal.
>>
>>51835758
>I heard a dead pixel can "infect" other pixels. Is this true?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Still No, but I can see where the misinformation comes from. The only reason more than one pixel could die is because of the build quality. The fact that a pixel died means there's something wrong. I highly doubt that one little pixel is the only thing wrong with it. Things rarely have one problem, they generally have multiple.
>>
>>51835772
Well I'm getting a Sapphire Nitro 380 so the CX600M should be fine.
Logical Increments recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W, but I'm not sure i really need a 80+ Gold for such a budget build
>>
>>51835837
logicalincrements is excessively picky about mobo and psu quality. don't feel obligated to follow their lead, just stick to the general brands they recommend.
>>
what are some decent apps on windows phone that play animu efficiently? VLC is okay but it does have a lot of encoding issues.
>>
>>51835947
Don't watch anime on your phone.
>>
>>51835967
I take trains a lot so I need something to do, my phone is all I got.
>>
File: 1449728018891.jpg (259 KB, 1000x1502) Image search: [Google]
1449728018891.jpg
259 KB, 1000x1502
>>51835947

>
>>
>>51835982
mx player works for me. i recall having to download a codec to play something.
>>
File: 57986.jpg (31 KB, 256x372) Image search: [Google]
57986.jpg
31 KB, 256x372
>>51835994
And I'm waiting for them.

>>51836003
I'll check it out, thanks anon.
>>
>>51836003
MXplayer is for android.
>>
>>51835607
Pls respond.
>>
>>51836039
there's a windows phone port
>>
Does GRUB install on a separate partition?

If I delete both 4.57GB partitions will GRUB be broken?
>>
>>51836039
It's also for Windows Phone, I've only used the android version but I liked it, even if it's a bit bloated.

>>51836024
Also look into CCPlayer.
>>
File: medium04.jpg (31 KB, 450x370) Image search: [Google]
medium04.jpg
31 KB, 450x370
hi im in the market for a tv, i'm moving soon and i'm going to buy my first tv.
budget up to 700€
http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UF675V
Thinking of getting this one.
Should I, or do any of you have other suggestions.

Sincerely
a
>>
I have a microSD card that I've been using for a few years that has recently started clicking when I read data from it. Is this a sign it's failing?
>>
>>51836062
It is probably in /boot but I would check where the files are.
>>
Saw this on the Amazon page for a CPU I was thinking of buying

Graphics Card Ram Size 1740 MB

What does this mean? Is it a mistake? Why does my CPU determine how much RAM my Graphics Card can use? I mean obviously if it's a 32-bit CPU (which this is not) then there's a limited address space to work with, but otherwise it shouldn't matter should it?
>>
>>51836088
No, its a sign that its about to explode.

>>51836153
IGPU max memory.
Probably max dynamic memory.
>>
I did a clean install of Windows 7 from my friends installation disks. They were dell and my laptop is hp. It won't update, but I got all the drivers from hp's website. Also why isn't it prompting me for an activation key?
>>
>>51836153
>>51836200
TLDR; wont affect your GPU.

Which CPU is it?
>>
>>51836200
>>51836244
Ok thanks. It's an i7-4790k
>>
>>51836263
Yup, the I7-4790k uses a Intel HD Graphics 4600, which haves a 1.74GB VRAM limit, that its what the specifications in amazon are talking about.
>>
Is there a program that will allow me to make a copy of every single file name and folder name on a HD?
All I want are the names, not the actual contents in the folder or file.
>>
>>51836062
well, where did you set the grub to install?
>>
I know people say to disconnect hard drives while installing Windows to an SSD, but does that also apply for reinstalling? Considering the drive is already formatted and the 100MB boot partition is already on the SSD.
>>
What GPU should I get for 1440p? 970 or 390x?
>>
>>51836385
find / > contents.txt

this will output the file path and name to a file just like it would on the terminal
>>
>>51836452
390x obviously
>>
>>51836385
for just the file names and folders without the path do something like this
find / -type f -exec basename {} \; > contents.txt 
>>
is there any good non-topical supplements or drugs for someone that has trouble concentrating on anything?

i'm a senior CS uni student and i've lost the ability to focus on more than 1 page of anything
>>
File: magazine.png (8 KB, 141x160) Image search: [Google]
magazine.png
8 KB, 141x160
Is there some kind of RAM log in Linux (I'm using Fedora, Gnome DE if that matters) that periodically writes memory usage per app, etc?

A few moments ago my computer started fucking up. Mouse movement really jittery, no mouse clicks or keyboard button presses registered. I remember that I always leave the System Monitor open, so it was probably underneath other application windows. So I hit the Super button and try to reveal it. It doesn't reveal. For some reason my monitor goes black and I end up at the user account login screen. No big deal. I probably moved my mouse right before the screen locked, so i fucked up the chain of events that goes on when locking the system. No big deal. So then I log in and my button presses register all at once and I get a glance that my RAM usage was 100%. It's never been there, ever. And then Firefox tells me that there's a script running (oddly enough on 4chan, as if I never made a post that I made earlier on in the day....), and suggests that I stop it. So I stop it, but nothing else ends up working after that so I have to hold down the power button on my laptop in order for me to restart it, since I can't do it from the menu because no input is registering (other than moving the cursor).

So Firefox might be the issue here. But is there anyway to read into my other applications's memory usage before the reboot?
>>
>>51836560
htop then order the programs by mem%
It's a terminal program
>>
>>51833290
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html
>>
I absolutely refuse to use Chrome, Chromium, or IE.

But Firefox is mad bloated. What can I do?
>>
Is CPU cache overclocking worth doing?
>>
>using linux
>plug in usb
>try to transfer image from one folder to the usb stick
>no paste option, no fucking nothing

What the fuck is this? I just want to move a god damn file to a usb. Does this REALLY have to be this fucking obtuse?
>>
When I look up "google.google" on my own recursive DNS server or one of Google's, I get nothing, but when I look it up on my ISP's DNS server I get 198.105.254.228, which is registered to a company in Colorado called "Search Guide Inc".

What's going on?
>>
How do I get into mac recovery mode without a mac keyboard?
I know I have to hold alt, it works every once in a while but now of all times it dosen't want to.
I'm using a windows wire-less keyboard which only works before the mac starts up whenever it wants to.
Am I just gonna have to give in to apple's monopoly and but those expensive ass keyboards?
>>
>>51837161
>blaming a DE problem on linux
how nu r u?
>>
>>51837161

werks on my machine :^)
>>
>>51837161
your file manager must suck
>>
File: seamonkey_logo.png (20 KB, 340x105) Image search: [Google]
seamonkey_logo.png
20 KB, 340x105
>>51837072
>>
I have this problem with Firefox (42.0 and Xubuntu 15.10) where it forgets userscripts after a while. For example if I let the computer sit overnight (or even a couple of hours) when I begin to use it again half of 4chanX or other userscripts has stopped working. For 4chanX it seems to only be thread updating for others it is the whole thing.

I've been tweaking tracking/security settings and thought I had disabled some long time cache or DOM storage but it should be as default now and it still happens

any ideas?
>>
File: Realtek RTL8191SU.jpg (35 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Realtek RTL8191SU.jpg
35 KB, 800x800
Reposting.

I bought this wifi adapter to use on an old computer I have on the living room.

It is supposed to work with 300Mbps connection speeds but I get ~20Mbps download speed and ~30Mbps upload speed, signal strenght is 80-90%.

I tried installing the drivers from the CD it came with, from windows center and also donwloading the latest drivers from their website.

WMM is enabled on my router, I wanted to enable 802.11n on the adapter priorities but it doesn't show with any of the drivers, only 802.11d appears, disabled by default.

Any ideas?

Suggestions from previous thread:
- The adapter is shit and you should feel bad
- Phones are crippling your wifi speed
>>
>>51837609
300 Mb/s is the theoretical maximum of the wireless protocols it supports. Realistically it will never get remotely close to those levels. I'm lucky if my laptop gets 50 Mb/s and it lives like five feet from my wireless router.
>>
>>51837351
Win+r should start up internet recovery
>>
>>51837642
This one gets around 50Mbps at much, but I get full upload speed, 30Mbps, same as I get vie ethernet on my main computer.
>>
Do all assembly compilers accept the same code, or does it have to be written differently between each compiler? (That is, will a tutorial for NASM work if I'm using FASM or MASM or whatever I decide is best for me?)
>>
File: hamster1.jpg (15 KB, 361x438) Image search: [Google]
hamster1.jpg
15 KB, 361x438
How come I can't connect/ping 2 hosts to one another connected to one router but my wireless devices can see both of them? It's on WDS atm and I'm running DD-WRT. Ones on DHCP while the main one is on Static. Any help?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114 KB, 1920x1080
On Android, how do I set a daily data transfer limit? also can I reset the data usage graph? it's so annoying that I want to see a specific day but it forces me to see the whole month, I wish to wipe the graph or at least set a custom graph view, is it possible? (I know I can just manually tap to select but I cannot zoom in, it's a pain and imprecise).

My ISP is quite the scam, they say my data cap in 500 MB + 32 kbit/s till 11:50 PM no additional costs after the cap is reached (4€ activation only), but these fuckers automatically drop my connection when I reach the cap and theyn they renew it, instead of limiting the speed to 32 kbit/s for the rest of the day... AND THEY CHARGE ME AGAIN 4€ EVERY FUCKING TIME.

I'm gonna sue them if I cannot find a solution, though it's a pain in the ass... please, herp meh preventing getting scammed again.
>>
I have a couple of pendrives, 4gb and 8gb, they are working really slow on my front usb ports.

I thought it could be the usb ports at first but I tried my brother's pendrive and it works much faster.

The pendrives are quite old, could they be dead or dying?
>>
If I format my main drive and install a different system do I have to format the other drives too? I want to do a clean dual win/linux install without losing personal data, is it possible?
>>
>>51838096
http://www.diffen.com/difference/USB_2.0_vs_USB_3.0
>>
File: 1424804990147.jpg (66 KB, 539x1119) Image search: [Google]
1424804990147.jpg
66 KB, 539x1119
>>5183804 (cont.)
I almost reached the data cap again, any suggestions? I don't have internet at home yet so I've to rely on mobile/tethering for a while, I wanted to set the data cap to 490 MB to be safe... any suggestion helps.
>>
Are the police allowed to partake in illegal activities to oust illegal activities?

For example calling and posing as a customer, and receiving the location of a place for prostitution, then going in for an arrest.
>>
>>51838129
Any way of checking what connection those pendrive use?

I also get decent speeds on an old as fuck seagate external HDD that I doubt works in USB 3.0.
>>
>>51838239
What kind of speeds to you classify as "decent"
USB 2.0 caps out below 50 MB/s
>>
>>51838229
Yes.
>>
>>51838273
>50 Mbps

I wish.

The one that works better doesn't even reach 5 Mbps.
>>
File: ss (2015-12-13 at 04.46.10).png (58 KB, 573x471) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-13 at 04.46.10).png
58 KB, 573x471
Hello /g/

How comes Windows won't let choose default programs?

pic related, the "always use this program" box is faded and unclickable.

this is with any filetype. how do I fix this?

thank you!
>>
My tablet is 50Hz but all of my media is 30 or 60Hz, is there a proper way to encode or play it or should I just let the video player take care of it? For both Android and Windows 8
>>
>>51838371
install gnu+linux
>>
Where is the best place to torrent a copy of wangblows 7 ultimate? I think I somehow got my legit cd stolen, I've had Windows notifications saying my copy of Windows is not genuine.
>>
>>51831635
How am I supposed to find this thread?
At least put sqt in the subject or a Dwight in the image.

Stop depriving me from helping people!!!!

>>51838492
>>51838438
>>51838229
>>51838239
>>51838222
>>51838101
>>51838096
>>51838041
>>51837806
>>51837715
install gentoo
>>
>>51838371
Are you sure its not just 7zip?

>>51838492
Do you even know the difference between Pro and Ultimate?
Just search for an "untouched" iso and check the hash.
>>
>>51838522
What are you talking about?
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>51838438
Your display is 50Hz, your media can't be "x hertz".

Anyways, don't fix what ain't broken.
>>
>>51837715
Bump
>>
>>51838551
>Are you sure its not just 7zip?

Positive, ignore the fact that it is selected.
>>
>>51837715
No, they are different.
>>
>>51838584
Try a different method.
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program
>>
I have a PC which I believe is infected with malware that's blocking my http traffic to it, which is also keeping me from updating malwarebytes to get rid of it. I've tried taking an install file from my clean laptop to the problem PC (after disconnecting it from the net) first but the install doesn't come with the latest database version and wants to connect to the net to update itself, which it can't do.

What do I do? They do a portable version but only for tech shops and I've no idea how to get the database updated without it being able to access http traffic.
>>
>>51838597
Elaborate?
>>
>>51831635

>ecards

Kill yourself
>>
What's the best way to connect 2 routers in order to expand WiFi range?
Right now I have router A that's connected to the internet and router B connected to route A.
Each router have is own SSID and password and IP, so it doesn't allow shared files on computers connected to router A to be seen on computers connected to router B.
The routers are TL-WR841ND
>>
>>51838622
Doesn't work because it only shows programs that have been defaulted already.
>>
>>51838663
set one router into extend mode, connect it to the existing network.

if your router can't do this, buy another one or install a firmware that can do that.
>>
>>51838645
They have small differences, porting code shouldn't be too hard but it wont be copy/paste if its an advanced application.
>>
>>51838704
>connect it to the existing network.
With cable?
Because the second router has to take the internet connection from cable.
>>
>>51838733
no, with wireless.
>>
>>51838724
I mean, where do the differences lie?
>>
>>51838663
>>51838733
if they're connected by cable already just make use the same SSID and password, it should just work
>>
>>51838744
Stock firmware doesn't support it.
Also DD-WRT doesn't have it on it's supported devices.
>>51838760
But it won't solve the issue of seeing each other shares.
>>
File: lube-guide-butts-edition.png (119 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
lube-guide-butts-edition.png
119 KB, 850x1100
Where to get lube data?
>>
should i buy 1x8GB or 2x4GB RAM?
>>
File: ss (2015-12-13 at 05.58.34).png (4 KB, 1595x38) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-13 at 05.58.34).png
4 KB, 1595x38
HOW

DO I GET RID OF THIS
>>
>>51839104
Won't more osmolarity causes water to shift into it?
Why most lubes are more osmolar then?
>>
>>51839117
That X waaaaay on the right.
>>
>>51839142
PERMANENTLY
>>
>>51839144
REMOVE CHROMEBAB
>>
>>51839104
I like that shop :-)
Science journals, like they did. Works cited here:

http://badvibes.org/whats-in-your-lube/the-science-of-lubricants/

>>51839130
they didn't know at the time/don't care

https://badvibesdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/lube-guide-butts-edition.pdf
>>
>>51839165
NEGATORY

HOW DO I REMOVE THE BAR WHEN I DOWNLOAD SOMETHING WHILE USING CHROME
>>
>>51839202
IN THE FUTURE, EVERYTHING IS CHROME
WAIT FIVE SECONDS THEN DOWNLOAD FIREFOX *CHROME EDITION*
>>
>>51831703
Long live for GNOME. Do you mounted the device??
PD: use dd comand
example:
dd if=Mine.iso of=/dev/sdc
>>
>>51839225
I CANT USE FIREFOX ON THIS PC YOU NIGGER, OTHERWISE I WOULD

ANSWER MY QUESTION WITHOUT BEING A SNARKY LITTLE FUCK

HOW DO I REMOVE THE DOWNLOAD BAR FROM CHROME
>>
>>51839262
either extention or whatever they call them or edit the code and build it on your own
>>
>>51839262
Please use a tripcode so I can filter you :-)
>>
Can i get a quick explanation on how the usenet works?
Basically i needed to find a file, so i google it and the only place that has it was some shitty site which had it in a .nzb file (why can those shits just use torrents like normal people?) so i google nzb and downloaded some free nzb client and put the file there and nothing.. so i searched more and apparantly you need to pay for some usenet server shit so you can download those nzb files or something?? what the fuck? i am confused as hell
>>
>>51838643
Still struggling with this. All the portable versions of Malwarebytes I've seen look sketchy as fuck and I've not found a way to transfer the database version over via thumbdrive.
>>
I want to buy an antenna to extend my wifi range but I'm wondering about the following:

If the antenna can send wifi signals like 5km far and I would stand 5km away from it with my laptop or phone I wouldn't actually be able to use it would I?

Because the laptop/phone would have to send some signals back to the antenna I guess.

So how far does an average laptop/phone even transmit such signals back? Or am I getting something wrong?
>>
Is there an AMD graphics card, compareable to the GTX 970?

Also, what details must I look for when choosing a card?
>>
I have the G930 wireless headset. is there a way to increase the range by somehow modifying the transmitter or anyhow else?
>>
>>51838760
>the same SSID and password
How does that works?
Are you implying that devices connect to WiFi based on SSID and use the same password by default?
Isn't this something that can be exploited?
>>
>>51839405
r9 390

slightly better performance and double vram
>>
will this work ok?
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6sdGP0zp
>>
>>51839515
>sc stop Diagtrack
>sc delete Diagtrack
>>
I'm looking for a Laptop and i have the choice between one with a Skylake U 14' Screen and a Skylake T with 15.6' screen.
They cost almost the same no matter if i3 i5 or i7. Only real difference is processor and battery life.
Main usage will be programming and web browsing.
U or T and i3, i5 or i7?
>>
I want to build an "emergency" USB-charger from disposable batteries because I'm too jewish to buy a powerbank. Is there anything I need to do other than limiting the voltage somewhere around 5V? I'm thinking about using a potentiometer and something to measure the Voltage so It doesn't fluctuate too much when the battery discharges
>>
Qutote preview on 4chan stopped working for no reason. Now when i click on replies I go directly to them and it's really annoying. I made sure the box is checcked in the settings. I'm on Chrome on a Galaxy s4
>>
Any of you fags managed to make Japanese text rendering in putty not look like shit?
>>
File: 3.png (53 KB, 717x564) Image search: [Google]
3.png
53 KB, 717x564
This piece of shit has been stuck like this for 1 hour. What I'm supposed to do?
>>
Bought/downloaded Kainy to my phone so I can do dat dere remote streaming. Trying to install the server software on my computer and Windows is identifying it as malware. Is there something I should be concerned about?
>>
File: a.png (327 KB, 1536x492) Image search: [Google]
a.png
327 KB, 1536x492
why is adblock not working on nyaa? i have no exceptions and my list is updated
>>
>>51839893
This is a stupid question indeed. All their ads are hosted on-site, it's just local

The ads follow a distinct file name pattern (an*.jpg) so if you absolutely must block them it's a very easy thing to do
>>
>>51839843
Use an OS that isn't shit.
>>
4790k and m.2 NVMe. Should I worry for my GPU being starved for PCI lanes? It's my only card, other stuff is onboard.
>>
i am downloading a 200 MB file off MEGA.

it keeps getting stuck at around 83% "temporary error".
worst site i've ever seen, but i need those rare books.
any tip on how to solve it?
>>
How do I download an offline version of this webpage to my computer?

http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp-haruhi/swf/haruhi_swf_sample/haruhi512/haruhi512.swf
>>
>>51840356
That's a .SWF not a webpage.
Just use save as I guess.
>>
>>51840330
https://megatools.megous.com/
>>
>>51840395
The SWF file on its own will not work. It refers to other files when loading.
>>
>>51840403
>It refers to other files when loading.
What other files?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.