[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about the new Chromebook Pixel? I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (461 KB, 2000x1350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
461 KB, 2000x1350
What do you guys think about the new Chromebook Pixel? I was considering buying the new Pixel and an SD card, so I can run Linux etc.
>>
I can buy the new one for about $800 after tax. Also considering buying an iPad Pro for $700 as well. Yes, I know it seems like shit but I want to read books etc. I need it for biology, and I can buy it for a lot cheaper than other people pay for it.
>>
Ridiculously expensive, considering the storage space, the OS, and the fact that it is ad supported.
>>
>>51831655
Ad supported?

Low storage capacity; but I get 1TB of Google storage and I can just use the card reader? I can't find another laptop in this price range with a great screen, and a great build quality. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51831723
All google products and services are ad supported. That is their whole business model. To use the chromebook effectively will require using some google cloud services, which both rape your privacy, and serve you ads so targeted that they can make you buy dumb shit like google glasses or something whenever they want.

Personally i'd buy a mac. But there are other PCs better than a chromebook. Surface Pro if you want portability, or a thinkpad if you want a good keyboard
>>
>>51831791
Surface pro 4 was trash, I was considering just booting Linux on it and enjoying my nice Linux laptop?
>>
Sexy as fuck.

Powerful specs.

No applications obviously of course, Matlab/LabView/etc can't be done online so no go for me.

But other than professional programs like that, what can't just be done in the browser? Seems to me 90% of laptop users would do great with a chromebook.
>>
>>51832223
>enjoying my nice Linux laptop
i guess i shouldn't be trying to give you advice, as i can't relate to this concept at all
>>
>>51832324
web apps are horrible.
>>
>>51832223
>>51831791
Why not surfacebook?

It will probably be a reasonable price at least next black friday.

>>51832432
Use google docs online, it's not that bad.

For some reason microsoft's online office apps remove half the features.
>>
>>51832467
>next Black Friday
I'm buying a laptop within a few weeks. Owned the new 5k iMac, surface pro 4, surface pro 3, don't want to drop $1,400 on a 13"Rmbp when a new update is coming soon. Also owned the 2015 MacBook. All of these things were returned because of defects. Literally. I hate windows and prefer Mac.
>>
>>51832467
i haven't looked at the surface book, i assume it's much more expensive than the surface pro? I guess the book would be better than a thinkpad though.

And web apps are shit. ALL of them. if you think they are good, then the OS you use must be giving you low standards
>>
>>51831627
You plan on using the pen for doing your biology illustrations/work?

>>51832492
>defects
They can't get you a replacement?
>>
>>51831540

Dell XPS 13
>>
>>51832519
I'm using windows and the apps are use are just big three office and the mail 'app'. Word editor werks like a word editor for Gdocs while the Excel can plot graphs with all the little nooks and crannies of exponential/polynomial trend lines.

With optimization of the web web apps are becoming more and more of a thing. Bloated javascript turds are dying out.
>>
>>51832521
I had 10 replacements.

No joke.

4 surface pro 3's, 3 surface pro 4's, 2 2015 MacBooks and 1 iMac. Tired of that shit. Really.
>>
>>51832615
native windows apps are all shit though. Web apps are still much worse, including office.
>>
>>51832492

What are these defects you speak of?
>>
>>51832521
Yes, there's an app available in the Apple Store that's updated for the iPad pro, it's a ridiculously in depth examination of the entire body. The iPad Air 2 isn't enough screen real estate. I need something solid like the pixel for writing, and note taking, whereas I need a screen like the iPad pro for portability and biology. I'd rather spend $1,500 for a Chromebook pixel 2 and an iPad pro than buying the surface book which I won't even really consider. Played with it, read reviews and it's not for me. I don't do any real gaming or anything. Just need a wonderful screen, great keyboard and a good trackpad. I refused to use the iPad pro as a laptop because of the ridiculous price of the keyboards that go with it.
>>
>>51832711
The logic board failed on the MacBook, along with too much backlight bleed. Every surface I used was just terribly manufactured. The backlight bleed was disgusting and it was riddled with heating problems. Just terrible, terrible heating problems. They offered to keep swapping out surfaces and we couldn't find one that didn't have a defect. Good on Best Buy for trying, but no thanks.
>>
>>51832742
you shouldn't mix apple devices with non-apple devices. Your iPad and chromebook are not going to talk to each other at all. In 2015 this is a bad thing. In 1990, this was the norm
>>
>>51832791
Forgot to mention I have a desktop at home for synching.
>>
>>51832807
what desktop? Ether way you can't hand off your iPad work to your chromebook for instance. can't use siri to it's full extent, can't use 3rd party apps with iCloud sync, iCloud services, etc.

The best you will get is doing everything through google apps, but this is a significant compromise
>>
>>51832685
Jesus you must have the luck of the Irish.

>>51832742
If you are getting an iPad you might consider a refurbished MacBook alongside to cover the premium price you are paying for iPad.

The ecosystem is very nice with that. Sure you will be a Macfag but it's just for university so you'll survive.
>>
>>51832892
The thing is, I owned a 15" RMBP and had a pretty good run with it. I'm just not feeling dropping $1,000+ on a MacBook. I can also get both the pixel and the iPad for a substantial discount.
>>
>>51832988
That's why I said refurbished, you can get an Air very cheap this way too.
>>
>>51832892
I was so fucking pissed. That's why I don't want to buy an underpowered or really overpriced product. I figured I have a Windows desktop at home, I can synch my shit through iTunes. I'm not planning on synching with a computer very much for though. I'm not willing to buy a standalone iPad pro because it won't be good enough to write with, I don't want to use that stupidly expensive keyboard. Plus I don't want to write using the iPad, it's just not my thing. I want the screen to consume information and data. I do a tremendous amount of research.
>>
>>51832988
you clearly suck at computers or you wouldn't be so willing to mix and match ecosystems. Either go full Microsoft, Google, or Apple. Anteing else puts you at least 5 years behind a proper setup
>>
>>51833018
Air has a shit screen; considering I can pay $800 without tax for a pixel 2.
>>
>>51833045
Thanks man! Much appreciated.
>>
>>51833045
As a university student he can probably just survive with some weird ecosystem for the years and then as a professional get muh ecosystem.
>>
>>51833066
yeah sounds like he would be fine with a $50 laser android tablet and a 2nd hand thinkpad tbqh
>>
>>51831627
I have an ASUS ROG 551. It cost me $1000 dollars and has a discrete GPU (GTX 960M). SSD for the OS and a 1 TB drive for all the media. 1920x1080 matte screen.

Which is to say...you can get a much more capable machine for roughly the same money
>>
>>51833086
sounds like the would have about 3hours battery life though
>>
>>51833066
I run businesses, I'm getting a masters in business administration. Dual bachelors in business admin and biology.
>>
Why the fuck would someone pay so much money for a chromebook? Do the expensive ones do anything that the cheap ones don't, or do they just run the same chrome OS but with superfluously extreme hardware?
>>
>>51833495
Good hardware to install linux on.
Nice aspect ratio for work.
>>
Chromefag here, i suggest buying the Pixel if you like using linux, you can use a program called crouton to run a very efficient VM of most debian based distros, or you can set it up to dual boot linux, or you can flash chromeOS and install any distro you choose.

>>51831655
Ad supported? I see no ads on my chromebook anywhere.
>>51831791
You do not _need_ to use google cloud services, you can disable its automatic syncing of settings and all that if you want. They do however come with 1tb of google drive space when you buy one which is amazing.
>>51832324
You can do most things in it believe it or not, it has alot of its own alternatives for various programs, a god tier code text editor called Caret, when in developer mode you can run it like a standard linux distro.
>>51833495
Theyre pretty, really nice hardware inside, you can install linux on them.
>>
>>51833869
nice gentoo install
>>
>>51833971
:^)
>>
>>51834000
kek trips confirms
>>
>>51831627
where can you get it for that cheap?
>>
File: scb.jpg (90 KB, 960x678) Image search: [Google]
scb.jpg
90 KB, 960x678
I advise it.

I have a Samsung Chromebook with a 1.6gHz dual core atom that I got for $130 on eBay. I spent another $120 on 8GB of quality RAM, and a 128GB mSATA SSD. I also use a 64GB SD microSD card for shared storage with my VM.

When I got the device I immediately shorted the write protect jumper. I don't know how most do it, but for my series 5 chromebook I used a bit of copper wire and I kapton tapped it off. Then I installed seaBIOS and installed crunchbang on the new SSD.

I initially had problems getting the touchpad to work in crunchbang due to file hosts going down with the synaptic driver. However when I moved over to hydrogen it started to work a bit (needed calibration). Either way I use a usb mouse.

The chromebook pixel is not hardware upgradeable but the lte buses can sometimes be repurposed. Your driver milage may vary... most shit will work though.

I don't regret it for a second. I'm upgrading to a 256/512 mSATA. When this thing bites the dust I'll get a pixel / pixel 2.
>>
File: 2015-12-12-22-10-56_scrot.png (614 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-12-22-10-56_scrot.png
614 KB, 1280x800
>>51834962
running hydrogen now. daily laptop for $250.
>>
File: 1438828254117.jpg (49 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1438828254117.jpg
49 KB, 550x535
>>51835120
>carpet
>>
>>51834962
1.3gHz* soz.
still alright unless ur gaymen.
>>
>>51835142
or doing anything productive.
>>
>>51834962
>1366x768
>>
>>51835154
I run a business, draft, program, work in it repair, and can even do graphics editing fine. no its not an i7. no it cant solve cancer algorithms. but it works ok.
>>
>>51834962
>>51835120
Have you tried to solder a new cpu on?
>>
>>51835164
>10" LCD
>>
>>51835223
kek.

find me a suitable candidate and we'll see about it.
>>
>>51831723
Surface pro 4
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.