[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any try-hard Cisco nerds out there? Just finishing my 2nd minimester
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: desktop.png (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
38 KB, 1280x720
Any try-hard Cisco nerds out there?
Just finishing my 2nd minimester in the Cisco Networking Academy and just wondering what sort of jobs are out there?

Would it benefit me more to cram for CompTIA tests like Security+ or Network+ rather than the CCENT and CCNA?
>>
network+ is garbage

a ccent is pretty much network+ plus some cisco oriented shit tossed in. personally i find ccent more valuable than a network+ cert because of it.

i find ccent to be a great cert to pair with something else. like a rhcsa (pure system administrator for linux desktops and servers) / rhce (pure system administrator for linux desktops and servers plus linux networking shit like samba, apache, and whatnot) or msce (have you tried turning it on and off again?). shows you really understand networking and divisive with knowing cisco, or some cisco shit.

ccna is very valuable. cisco hardware is used everywhere and is the backbone of stuff you wouldn't even think was. you're studying to be a network engineer. network engineer is essentially the system administrator of network equipment and infrastructure (routers, switches, cables, extra).

security+ is a great cert to pair with other certifications. security is something that's high in demand right now thanks to all the breaches, hacks, and such.
>>
I work at cisco. You can ask me anything if you're interested about how things work
>>
>>51832468
magnets - how do they work?
>>
Honestly, I am just graduating from an IT program at a Canadian college. Got my CCENT and 3 co-ops in a NOC.

I am the only person in my graduating class to be receiving interviews for network administrator positions.

From what I understand, getting a job immediately in networking can be a bit of a pain in the ass as you will be compete of with comp sci grads and other post secondary dary grads with relatable majors. Unless you can cultivate a job through nepotism or co-op, you will have to accept that some dicks may need to be sucked, or the long game of help desk -> NOC through internal postings may be the safest routes for getting that entry level position.
>>
>>51832468
is it possible to train at home?im a hands on type of guy. how can i learn without buying the equipment? also, do network engineers require any programming/math?
>>
>>51832817
why the fuck would cs students apply for network admin jobs? completely different fields
>>
>>51832817
Fuck I should have proof read, drunk as fuck.

The other long post was right, CCNA route and switch is the only real networking cert you will need at first. I'm starting to look at CCNA SP or CCNP route and switch. I could probably write it tomorrow and pass though I don't remember all some of the eigrp shit...

If you're planning on your own with gns, always remember this command...

Line con 0

Logging synchronous
>>
>>51831870
Speaking as someone who started with CCNA, I have trouble seeing how CCENT is useful anywhere but in helpdesk. And if Network+ is the same as that, then you're wasting your time.
Everything is relative, though. If you plan to climb the Cisco ladder, then it's a waste of time, but if you're just looking to know the basics of l2 and l3 networks to supplement your server knowledge, then it might be good enough.
CCNA is designed as a "CCENT on speed", you're introduced to network equipment from square-one but ramps up in the theoretic part quickly.
It also exposes you to 70% of the topics you'll be exploring/reexploring in CCNP. So have a photographic memory and you'll be just fine.

I'm studying CCNP with the last part, Troubleshoot, coming up in a month.
I'm always fresh for questions, if that's your fancy.

>>51832861
GNS3 is an emulator that fits that purpose. The images for the equipment isn't freely available though, so you'll have to pirate them from somewhere.
If you're really devoted to the hands-on experience, you could also rent a lab, I don't think they're too expensive, depends where you live.
>>
>>51832861
Gns3 and wire sharknftw brah.... packet tracer (its shit but it works) is fine for layer 2 shit but don't lab any advanced features on it (DMVPN, BGP, HSRP/VRRP, IPSLA etc etc.)
>>
>>51832905
Heh, I've seen my competition and there were a couple comp sci majors competing for NOC positions. As IAAS takes off again more and more will be lured into the field... It's already happening
>>
>>51832907
You think EIGRP is tough? Try multi-area OSPF.
Fucking LSA's and area types. TSA and NSSA made me shit the bed, honestly.

>>51832952
We were actually recommended Packet Tracer for L2, GNS3 seems to miss a lot of functionality there. We used Packet Tracer for some labs in CCNP Switch.
>>
>>51831085

CCENT is just 100-101 ICND1, which is the first exam of the CCNA. In terms of study it's an easier progression to do 100-101 ICND1 get your CCENT, then do 200-101 ICND2 and get your CCNA.

There is also 200-120 CCNAX (CCNA accelerated), which is a combination of the two exams listed above, but it's mainly for people re-certifying, or who already know their shit. Further to fall when you fail this one, as it's the same price as doing ICND1 & 2 separately.
>>
>>51833023
Heh I loved learning the LSA's! But ya I saw OSPF as the IGP to invest my time learning
>>
>>51832468
i work at cisco too
>>
>>51832468
>>51833239
where at? eng or sales?
>>
File: certs-are-a-fucking-joke.jpg (147 KB, 640x404) Image search: [Google]
certs-are-a-fucking-joke.jpg
147 KB, 640x404
Free exam answers for everyone, kids http://www.examcollection.com/ Don't pay for anything there, just download a cracked VCE reader
>>
>>51832468
Who the fuck designs the shitty trap questions? Kick him in the butt for me pls
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.