[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: linyos.png (2 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
linyos.png
2 MB, 2480x3508
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>51830487
>one background on one monitor
>one background on the other
Thanks feh
>>
This thread is better.
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
With all these people making a new thread this is getting confusing
>>
Ok, I have a question.
How does software written for one DE work on another DE?
Will it look weird and shit?
>>
This thread is about to hit bump limit. New thread?
>>
A is for awk, which runs like a snail, and
B is for biff, which reads all your mail.
C is for cc, as hackers recall, while
D is for dd, the command that does all.
E is for emacs, which rebinds your keys, and
F is for fsck, which rebuilds your trees.
G is for grep, a clever detective, while
H is for halt, which may seem defective.
I is for indent, which rarely amuses, and
J is for join, which nobody uses.
K is for kill, which makes you the boss, while
L is for lex, which is missing from DOS.
M is for more, from which less was begot, and
N is for nice, which it really is not.
O is for od, which prints out things nice, while
P is for passwd, which reads in strings twice.
Q is for quota, a Berkeley-type fable, and
R is for ranlib, for sorting ar table.
S is for spell, which attempts to belittle, while
T is for true, which does very little.
U is for uniq, which is used after sort, and
V is for vi, which is hard to abort.
W is for whoami, which tells you your name, while
X is, well, X, of dubious fame.
Y is for yes, which makes an impression, and
Z is for zcat, which handles compression.
>>
>>51830614
Dumbass kids from /g/ will get autism fit over anything.
>>
Mint and nvidia gfx drivers: will it work?
>>
>>51830625
Qt and GTK doesn't have a good relationship IIRC.
>>
>>51830667
>no new ip
stop bumping your own thread faggot cum lord.
>>
>>51830667
Should
>>
>>51830667
Depends, do you have a laptop or a desktop?
>>
>>51830625
Qt software in Gnome(GTK) should look fine
GTK software in KDE(Qt) will look like ass.
>>
>>51830630
What the fuck is biff?
>>
I have a rtl8723be network card in my laptop and there aren't any drivers for Linux that allow it to work.
What do?
>>
>>51830723
My guess is some email client
>>
>>51830742
What is your distro?

Should work with this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/590414/wifi-problems-with-rtl8723be-in-ubuntu-14-04
>>
>>51830742
Should work out of the box, since it is inside the kernel since 3.15

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#rtl8723ae.2Frtl8723be
>>
>>51830761
I am in fact using ubuntu 15.04. I tried every method I could find. Even the link you posted I tried once. Could doing a fresh install and then a kernel upgrade help?
When I boot into ubuntu to install it gives me the acpi (or whatever it's called) boot failure before going into the install.
In addition when installing it lists the card as a network instead of my home WiFi.
>>
>>51830818
A newer kernel could probably held, preferably 4.0+
>>
>>51830838
s/held/help
>>
>>51830723
What are you looking at, butt head?
>>
reminder that the real thread is here
>>51830479
>>51830479
>>
>>51830791
It came with 3.19 and the card didn't work.
>>
>>51830742
echo "options rtl8723be fwlps=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
>>
>>51830861
shut up redditor
>>
Anyone have a nice guide to Xen Passthrough?

Working on setting it up now, my components have the ability. Documentation tends to be a bit sad for it.

I would go full Linux, but there are still a few things it lags behind on, but many its better on. So this seems a good compromise while I hope those few things will eventually catch up. Seems to be progress too.
>>
>>51830902
This one? http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough
>>
>>51830908
Ya that thing is kind of a clusterfuck. As a piece of technical writing I can like it, but in terms of trying not to fuck this up it feels poor to new comers to passthrough.
>>
>>51830954
Xen is a clusterfuck in itself desu.
>>
I've switched over to this thread, quick question. I got a T400 for free and I'm planning to just swap in the SSD from my dying Dell Latitude. But I discovered the T400 has switchable graphics. How do I deal with this in Ubuntu 14.04? Is there some driver for it? I've never owned a computer with switchable graphics before, just desktops with dedicated cards and laptops with integrated ones.
>>
Remember this thread is a meme
>>51830479

>>51830479

>>51830479
>>
>>51830986
I suppose. Sad really since its really a gateway for more to use Linux. I imagine I can't be the only one held back by a couple choice programs.
>>
>>51831022
Switchable graphics (for nvidia, at least) is handled by the bumblebee project. It's rumored that someone may have gotten it to actually work, once.

Seriously, switchable graphics support is pretty atrocious, you'll have an easier time if you pick either the dedicated or integrated card to use all the time, and set your system up that way.
>>
File: anarchy42[1].jpg (17 KB, 493x551) Image search: [Google]
anarchy42[1].jpg
17 KB, 493x551
>>
File: chrome2.jpg (132 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
chrome2.jpg
132 KB, 1600x900
Whats a good distro/DE to crouton onto this?

Debian LXDE is kinda sucking. Its annoying but doable on the install for Debian with all that isn't in the stable build, but I can't seem to get LXDE to not require a magnifying glass while using a HD but small screen.
>>
>>51831022
Installing the Nvidia drivers also installs the optimus module, then on the nvidia settings program select the GPU you want to use.
You can also use a software to change the GPU http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/prime-indicator-lets-you-quickly-switch.html
>>
>>51830818
See if it works with debian non-free. Just use it live and check the network.
Does your computer have a button for turning networking on/off?
>>
I figure I'll post again since I did so just as the last thread died.

Anyone with an X230 and low sensitivity issues can do the following:

Copy both of the sensitivity/speed files located at /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2 and putting them in another directory (In my case /home/username/Documents) and just put two commands into rc.local, one for each file, to overwrite them on startup.

>sudo cp -f /home/username/Documents/filename /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2

Obviously change the values to whatever you want. Seems to work just fine.

Cheers to anyone that gave me advice and things to try last night
>>
real thread:
>>51830479
>>
>>51831141
>>51831103
It's an ATI card. I've looked it up, a Radeon HD3470, absolutely ancient shit. It looks like there is a driver for the Intel card (obviously) and one for the ATI card, but none for both. I may just set the BIOS to use only the integrated graphics.
>>
>>51831229
You will have trouble with the ATI card since AMD has removed support for older cards, so by all means only use the Intel one.
>>
>>51831140
XFCE.
>>
>>51831181
I'm pretty sure ArchWiki covered this.
>>
>>51831217
Stop bumping your shitty thread you redditor
>>
This is probably a retarded question, but can anyone guide me on the important differences between distros? I'm using Mint right now because it seemed best for a noob, but I'm getting a new computer soon and want to try something else and even after looking through the guide to "Babbies First Linux" I don't know what to look for. Since it'll be for only browsing and torrenting use outside of gaming (will be dual-booting with windows) most of the really technical stuff doesn't matter.

To summarize I guess I'm trying to ask what should a casual newfag be looking for when choosing a distro? What is meaningfully different between them for someone not delving too deep?
>>
>>51831398
all distros are basically the same except for install and package management, other than that you can pretty much make any distro look and act like any other distro
>>
>>51831398
Most distros are the same, an ego trip of a bunch of devs, only changing the default programs, icon theme and DE, just look what distro are they based on, for example all distros based on Debian are similar, all distros based on Red Hat are similar and so on.
>>
>>51831398
in no particular order:

>installer/"out of the box" setup
different distros have different default configs. Install Debian and you'll get a pretty plain sort of distro. That's good if you want to set up stuff your own way, and bad if you'd rather have something ready to go. Mint and the *buntus install and configure more things by default.

>repos/package management
whether you use a plain or bells-and-whistles distro, you'll eventually need more software. Some distros have policies on what gets in (eg, they vary about how strict they are that everything be free software) and the things you can do with their package managers.

>release schedule
Some distros do regular releases and then support them for some time. Others are rolling-release, where they continually update software as new things become available. Among the former, they vary in how long they'll support a release. CentOS and Debian Stable support a release for a very long time, but that means older versions of software. Fedora releases stuff like crazy, every week there'll be a pile of updated packages, and every six months there's a full new release.

pick what you want based on those first, beyond that you can do almost all of the same kinds of things with almost all distros. Different ones have different flavors, and things they "want" to do, and various customizations might be harder or easier, but anything's possible.
>>
>>51831461
>>51831466
>>51831532
Wow, thanks for the help. That cleared things up quite a bit. Seems I'm not as clueless as I thought! I guess I'll go for OpenSUSE since that seems to have a wide selection of packages and Tumbleweed would be nice for a rolling release since I don't intend to replace this computer for quite a while.
>>
File: 14457039361390.jpg (7 KB, 232x197) Image search: [Google]
14457039361390.jpg
7 KB, 232x197
I fucked up my windows partition using some kind of shitty shareware partition tool, then I remembered I have a second 500gb hard drive in my cupboard, installed Xubuntu on it and backed up my remaining files from the windows partition.
Now I've broken xubuntu and both my hard drives have broken OSes with nowhere to back up

why am I so dumb
>>
My battery life on OpenSUSE only lasts me 45 goddamn minutes, and 6+ hours on Windows. I really do prefer Linux, but this isn't even functional. How can I improve my battery life on OpenSUSE?
>>
>>51831302
ArchWiki only ever covered the trackpad, by modifying x11/xorg.conf or whatever it was, which I have disabled anyway.
>>
>>51832130
How did you break it?
>>
>>51832168
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management
>>
>>51832198
You can update it on ArchWiki, then.
>>
>>51833230
It spends about five minutes booting and after shutdown, it just shows a "-" character on a black screen and stays like that forever.
It works fine otherwise, but the long boot times that spew errors are killing it for me.

It gives me an ata2.00 error on boot, so I have a mild suspicion that it's complaining about my broken windows partition.
>>
>>51833321
Looks like a dead HDD. But try to repair the filesystem (usually fsck for ext4 partitions).
>>
I know it's different for everyone, but how long did it take you guys to sort of get used to whatever distro you first installed?

>install Debian as first distro
>get ass kicked for over a week and make a thread bitching about it yesterday
>learn one or two new things a day
>feels incredibly satisfying when I resolve or solve something

Man, I just don't know. Just found out how to (sort of) edit my sources list in nano. I attempt to read the wiki and my eyes just melt. I managed to install Audacious and get flash, that's about all I've done in over a week of exclusively using Debian.

I've learned a bit about using the terminal as well, and even though it's basic, it feels incredibly satisfying just navigating to a folder in the terminal.
>>
>>51833321
>>51833376
or it might be cable error
>>
>>51833437
I'm surprised you managed to be comfortable in Debian in a week. I got used to Ubuntu (8.04) after a month.
>>
>>51833459
>I'm surprised you managed to be comfortable in Debian in a week

U wot, I'm somewhat nervous about doing anything to be honest. Most of the time when I try to install something I get errors, especially when using the terminal.

I don't think I've once managed to download something in terminal withou getting 404 ppa: something or other. I still don't know it means.

But hey, whatever. It's given me something to learn which is nice.
>>
>>51833526
404: Not Found, basically no repos have it.
PPA? PPAs are meant for Ubuntu not Debian.
>>
>>51831281
Damn sorry I should have mentioned I've had bad experiences with XFCE. Used Xubuntu for awhile and more shit broke on that than any horror Vista or ME ever caused.

I wonder if it could handle Cinnamon. I think its less intensive than actual Gnome3 which is terrible on resources.
>>
>>51833579
Cinnamon or MATE. MATE is GNOME version 2.

Or you can try Openbox instead, it is a pure WM, and usually paired with tint2, compton and conky.
>>
>>51831140
>Debian LXDE is kinda sucking
what else sucks about it? Literally installed this about 30 mins ago.
>>
>>51833620
Conky sucks m8
>>
Would it be possible to share my /home partition across two distros? And should I take a precaution before doing that?
>>
>>51833243
thanks senpai
>>
>>51834156
Yes - but only if the two different distros use the same user numbering scheme (because not all of them do, after all.).
>>
>>51833437
My first distro was Fedora Core 3. Yeah, I fucked up. I basically hated it, and after two days of fucking around with it, nothing worked and I was about ready to delete it and give up on Linux forever. That was with GNOME. Then I tried KDE and liked it enough to keep playing around and getting things working (it was like Windows but massively customizable, which appealed to me at the time). Took me probably a couple of weeks before I felt like I was starting to get the hang of the Linux way of doing things.

Then I tried Ubuntu 5.04, the new kid on the block that was getting a lot of positive attention, and I've mostly been a (K)Ubuntu fag ever since.
>>
>>51834279
>Using RPM distros for desktop
Your fault.
>>
So, the home folder is the same kind of retarded pointless bullshit as the "my documents" folder on windows?
As in, you never want to use it because doing anything with an OS partition is a pain in the ass when you have all your important data on it?
>>
>>51834378
"My Documents" equivalent would be /home/Documents, anon.
>>
>>51834404
I meant /home/user/Documents
>>
I've created a basic Linux guide you can contribute if you likem it's a work in progress
http://pastebin.com/sZsvTAaZ
>>
>>51834378
Stop thinking linux in relation to windows, it's pointless and not comparable at all.
>>
>>51834438
Just contribute to the wiki, anon.
>>
>>51834361
It was worse back then because RPM dependency hell was a very real and frequent problem, as I found out the hard way. But I was a complete noob and didn't know any better.
>>
>>51834479
But the wiki is full of freetards
>>
>>51834543
epic
>>
>>51834543
kek'd
>>
>>51834543
Just eradicate them, anon.
>>
File: zat.png (223 KB, 678x750) Image search: [Google]
zat.png
223 KB, 678x750
how the fuck do you remove the scroll bar in zathura, I tried evey fucking theme and all appropriate settings in it's config file.
set guioptions s
set show-scrollbars false
set show-v-scrollbar false
set show-h-scrollbar false

shit still pops up, I know gtk3 is shit but It's a dependency for it, could it be responsible for the fuck up
>>
>>51834580
if i knew how...
>>
>>51834664
Learn to vandalize wikipedia first.
>>
Hey guys, I've been using arch, but want something where things just work a bit more.

Looking at Fedora, which I've heard has pretty good upgrades, so I shouldn't ever need to reinstall to get newer software....

Any opinions on it?

>>51834361
What's wrong with RPM distros on the desktop?
>>
>>51834984
Dependency hell.
>>
>>51835073
Is that still a problem?

Also, is there a guide to making gnome usable?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q92FrMYLfk
>>
>>51835156
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME

Or just look for extensions and utilize gnome-tweak-tool
>>
>>51833620
Yea I may redo it with buntu for ppa and better repos and Cinnamon.

>>51833678
Its a 13in screen, but a 1080p resolution. LXDE apparently doesn't scale well or I'm too stupid to make it scale well so everything is very tiny.

I went Debian because I figured its a lighter starter and LXDE because I've used it well on many shit boxes and it runs very well on very little. But this thing does have 4gb of ram and a dual core so it should be able to handle more. LXDE was nice on singleboard machines hooked to TVs, but this is ass.
>>
>>51835467
If you want to go Cinnamon, go Mint instead. Mint is literally Ubuntu + Cinnamon
>>
>>51834378
.config

xresources

xdefaults

shell profile and rc

easy scripts and source directory (shortened to ~ in terminal)

gtkrc
>>
File: Antergosupdates.png (57 KB, 502x538) Image search: [Google]
Antergosupdates.png
57 KB, 502x538
two days without updating Antergos
>>
Sort of underwhelmed by Xubuntu.

It's so ordinary and... usable.

Which distro do I install to make my life a bit more interesting?
>>
>>51835671
There was a major update in Arch's repo, read the Arch news.

>>51835681
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
>>
>>51835681
>a bit more interesting
Slackware
>>
Also, how easy is Fedora to upgrade?
Does it actually work?
>>
>>51835671
Arch just changed which C++ ABI they're using. Pretty much everything written in it needs to be updated.
>>
>>51835840
dnf upgrade?
>>
>>51835861
Yeah, whatever the recommended way is.
(I guess that replaces fedup?)
>>
>>51835878
yum.
>>
>>51835915
So, does it tend to work well?
>>
So how do I work with setuid?

First I opened terminal as root and set file mode:
chmod 4740 foo

Then I launched terminal as regular user and:
less foo
foo: Permission denied

./foo
bash: foo: Permission denied

setuid should set my effective user ID to root, right? So shouldn't I be able to read or execute 'foo' as root?
>>
>>51836711
where is your setuid in this example?
>>
>>51836792
Octal number 4 (as in 4740) represents setuid, right?
>>
>>51835580
Sadly not an option in crouton or I would, getting Linux on a Chromebook particularly running at the same time as ChromeOS is a bit weird.

But I think LXDE is has got to go.
>>
File: tumblr_mnceg3dU1f1razvfio1_250.gif (2 MB, 210x368) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnceg3dU1f1razvfio1_250.gif
2 MB, 210x368
When should I make the switch to Wayland?
>>
>>51836838
After Fedora 24. Seriously, we need more and more people to jump on the bandwagon.
>>
>>51836711
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid
>When an executable file has been given the setuid attribute, normal users on the system who have permission to execute this file gain the privileges of the user who owns the file (commonly root) within the created process.
>who have permission to execute this file
You do not have permission to read nor execute the file.
>>
>>51836850
I'm planning on it, I just want to be sure it's ready for use
>>
>>51836854
Assuming you are not in the file's group, otherwise you would have read access.
>>
>>51836850
How painless should I expect the upgrade from Fedora 23->24 to be?
>>
This is probably a dumb question, but speaking of Wayland, is it going to cause any actual problems when Ubuntu starts using Mir and everyone else starts using Wayland by default? Is it going to affect application compatibility? I know Mir and Wayland both have X compatibility layers, but what about new programs?
>>
>>51836711
is foo a shell script? Cause in that case setuid is ignored. Otherwise just
chmod o+x foo

And it should work (or g+x if your non-root user's group owns the executable)
>>
>>51836854
Okay, but if I give execute permissions to others, what would be the point of setuid anyway?
Does it make any difference if you are executing the file as root or as regular user?
>>
>>51836854
>>51837010
Thanks it works now... also see >>51837062
>>
I'm running Xubuntu 15.10 on a Thinkpad X220. Is there any way to make it so that brightness is automatically raised to a certain level when the computer is plugged in, and is dropped down to a lower brightness when running on battery power?
>>
>>51837062
>what would be the point
The point is the executable having root permissions and for it to be possible to be run by non-privileged users (even without administrative privileges, so without sudo too). It's needed for example to change root-owned files, i.e. passwd changing user's password in /etc/passwd.
>>
>plug in usb
>try to transfer image from one folder to the usb stick
>no paste option, no fucking nothing

What the fuck is this? I just want to move a god damn file to a usb.
>>
>>51837128
>>51837092
You're probably missing the fact that if you just change the x flag without suid it will let you start the executable owned by root or w/e but it won't have any privileges (will fail to change files only root can write to etc) if an unprivileged user starts it.
>>
>>51837134
What file manager are you using?
>>
>>51837203
GNOME, so Nautilus I guess?
>>
>>51837203
Here's what I get by the way.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

I build the pc, install the distro, do everything, and somehow I don't have permission to do something this basic?
>>
>>51837219
What is the file system of your USB?
>>
>>51837237
Looks like you don't have permission to write to the drive. How did you mount it?
>>
>>51837241
fat32

>>51837245
Just plugged it into a usb port. Which is all I've done.
>>
>>51837237
You probably don't have enough permissions to do so. Are you the owner of the image file? Are you logged in as the same user that created the image file?

If nothing works, just copy it as root.
>>
>>51837219
how come gnome looks so clean and professional unlike other DEs? every element is consistent and precisely aligned.
>>
>>51837261
MATE looks better.
Gnome looks good but is a bloated piece of shit. It lags now and then.
>>
>>51837255
Just saved it from 4chan in my downloads folder. I'm the only user on this machine.
>>
>>51830700
I use the Breeze theme for GTK apps in Plasma 5 and it's pretty seamless, everything looks native.
>>
>>51837249
What distro?

>>51830487
The OP copypasta needs to either say that tech support questions, i.e. "help me fix a problem", which is not really a question, should go to distro forums instead of here, or tell people not to ask for tech support without providing any information about their operating system.
>>
>>51832130
Hope you didn't have any important shit on it
>Time to get over it and clean install
>>
>>51837282
It's also completely unusable, unlike MATE.
>>
>>51837308
Debian
>>
>>51837317
Are you sure that it's not NTFS? I Googled "debian flash drive denied" to see if you were being lazy. I didn't find the answer to your problem, but I did learn the permission problems with external NTFS drives are common in Debian.

Also, which version of Debian?
>>
>>51837317
Try this shit maybe
https://askubuntu.com/a/674466
>>
Emulator or WINE, what's more likely to work?
>>
>>51837403
depends
>>
>>51837403
what do you mean by emulator?
>>
>>51837415
Like a VM?
>>
>>51837372
Nah m8, it's FAT32

Debian 8.2 Jessie

>>51837385
I'll give it a go
>>
>>51837403
If you mean virtual machine or Wine, obviously the VM is going to win unless you're talking about 3D-heavy stuff like games.
>>
>>51837429
Basically, I want to run Xnormal and some other 3DCG related gratis, closed source software on Linux.
In fact, they're the only things holding me back.
I hate the idea of dual booting because it's honestly for faggots.

So, I'm looking for a way to run that software on Linux.
>>
>>51837428
unflag the "boot" dude.
>>
>>51837442
Try it in Wine, use a VM if it doesn't work.
>>
Should I switch to the proprietary AMD drivers in Ubuntu? I seem to be doing okay without them, aside from YouTube droping frames sometimes. Would the proprietary driver help?
>>
>>51837575
Do those videos even use the GPU?
>>
>>51837598
I honestly have no idea. That's why I'm asking.
>>
>>51837598
>>51837617
That probably depends on what browser you're using. I think Chrome/Chromium have hardware acceleration for HTML5 video. Not sure about other browsers or Linux's version of Flash.

>>51837575
Why not just try it? It should be easy to undo if it makes no difference or a negative one, right?
>>
>>51837287
with unix there are always more users than you initially thought
>>
How is Linux and its associated distros on the "spying" front?

I'm thinking of transitioning from win7 to Mint or Ubuntu just because of the privacy concerns I have with Win10. Shit is unethical.
>>
>>51837124
You could write a shell script to modify the brightness file, and add it to your startup programs.
>>
>>51837598
>>51837617
>>51837690
Apparently I'm wrong. No hardware accelerated video decoding in Chrome for Linux. A bit of googling reveals that the same is true for Firefox, or at least was as of a few months ago. Pepper Flash is hardware accelerated, though. Still not sure about Adobe Flash for Linux.
>>
>>51837809
get debian and you'll be 100% free
>>
>>51837809
Everything but vanilla ubuntu is fine. Go for debian testing if you want to be free.
>>
>>51837809
Generally speaking, FOSS software is written to serve the best interests of the user. There are exceptions, but they are rare. When a developer wants to write software that serves their own interests above the interests of the users, they use a proprietary license so that A nobody will know what they're doing and B their software can't be modified to serve someone else's interests instead. For example, where FOSS software is concerned, you never see ads, you never see trialware or programs that try to sell upgrades, and you never see programs that nag you to register online. If a FOSS program was released with a feature like this, it would be immediately forked and modified not to be annoying, and people would use that instead. For the same reason, more insidious or malicious features are also generally impossible.

A FOSS operating system is the only way to go for a privacy-conscious user, or security-conscious, for that matter.
>>
While installing Debian, i can choose additional Software. What Software is installed when i choose "standard System Tools"?
>>
>>51837690
>>51837831
Well, I tried it and it somehow made it worse. The video controls weren't even responsive. So now I'm back on the open source driver. Oh well.
>>
>>51838053
Have you tried googling?
I got the answer in the first result.
Learn to use the search engine friend.
>>
I downloaded VS Code editor. I only needed to unzip it and the exe is inside to launch.
The thing is how do I make icon in my whisker menu in Xfce on Xubuntu? For example for Sublime it is all made automatically because it is installed properly via dpkg but this crap only launches from the spot.
>>
>>51838255
you have to create a .desktop entry that you put in /usr/share/applications

My bet is there's one already available, just google
>>
>>51837124
Check out the Power Manager - On AC / On Battery > Monitor
>>
File: p5171200-gadling-bumper.jpg (71 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
p5171200-gadling-bumper.jpg
71 KB, 580x435
Friend of mine got a bunch of these today for a whole 5 Dollars a pop.

Tried installing XP on it before having some step one fuck ups with shitty thumbdrives.
Gave up and installed Ubuntu.

Never linux'd before, but this is a neat little tiny device to do it on thats for sure.
>>
>>51838521
Oops, should have mentioned what it is.
HP Mini 5102
Came out around 2010.

Friend got em from the garbage tip because some local highschools were throwing out nearly a hundred of these things rather than selling them like smart people.
>>
>>51838583
Nice find. Have fun and try a few desktop environments before settling for one.
>>
>>51838667
I don't even know where to start to be honest.

Only ever met one person my whole life who ever used linux that I could observe and get an understanding for.
>>
>>51838270
thanks ano
>>
Guys, what is your opinion on OS X?
>>
>>51838770
I think it's aesthetically pleasing, I enjoy messing with Hackintoshes. I'd never buy an Apple desktop or laptop though. I'd give OS X to my parents over Windows.
>>
>>51838770
p good for a laptop.
can't afford it tho.

seems like a ridiculous idea on a desktop.
>>
>>51838770
It's proprietary and doesn't work on my hardware.
>>
>>51838692
The installgentoo wiki linked in the OP is helpful. Just type sudo apt install <name of package> to install stuff. Also read some "ten things to do after installing ubuntu" articles
>>
>>51838770
Restrictive as hell, good for photo/video editing.
>>
How do I set up a global parametric (parametric) equalizer on linux?
>>
>>51839032
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13407
>>
>>51839136
Do you know what a parametric equalizer is?
>>
>>51839155
Thought the name was self explanatory but I don't really care for equalizers so I'm not sure if I know. If that forum doesn't help you I would recommend you to search the gentoo forums or archwiki.
>>
I got a free macbook that refuses to read any hard drive I throw at it, it only has a single USB port and had a beer spilled on it at some point in it's life

how do I into running GNU/Linux purely off flash drives?

I tried the SD slot on it but I guess it needs drivers or something
>>
>>51839258
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69426
>How do I do X on Linux?
>You shouldn't do X
Every fucking time.

It's always the clueless retards saying this, too.
>>
>>51839270
I also tried to change the drivers so I could use the wifi card on it but it wouldn't let me do it in the GUI for some reason
>>
>>51830545
How to do this please thank you?
>>
>>51839388

some kinda fehbg script setup i guess
>>
>>51839032
>>51839273
i use jack for this purpose
>>
File: a.png (78 KB, 566x453) Image search: [Google]
a.png
78 KB, 566x453
>>51839501
pic
>>
>>51839273
that is not just true for GNU/Linux anon.
>>how do i get waveform seekbar in iTunes
>you should be using foobar2k for this
>>how do i use my windows pro pc as a server
>you should be paying for windows server
this happens on every platform and for every program, if you can't handle that you shouldn't use the internet.
>>
Hi. Why does i3 always show error in my bar colors configuration? Pic related is the error
I will post my config in the next post
>>
>>51840047
Here is the config. What did i do wrong?
>>
>>51839527
>how do i get waveform seekbar in iTunes
>you should be using foobar2k for this

I get what you're saying but deadbeef can do that.
>>
>>51840057
I thought it was only two colours you should define?
That font (or the rendering of it) is terrible by the way.
>>
>>51840102
how do i improve it? should i download infinality?
thanks senpai by the way
>>
>>51840128
what font are you using? The spacing looks too wide which can be fixed, I know how to do it in urxvt if you use that
>URxvt*.letterSpace: -1
in ~/.Xresources

No need for infinality.
>>
>>51840146
Thanks m8 i will try.
Anyway defining just two colors shows the same error.
>>
>>51840160
Can you pastebin the whole config?
>>
>>51840167
Here
http://pastebin.com/uhTUphUk
>>
>>51840202
You have a typo in workspace.
>>
>>51840221
Jesus christ thanks man i didnt know i fucked up that much
If you re still willing to help, can you please check out my scrot configuration?
Notify-send seems not to be working, even though it works for power manager. But if i try it in terminal it will just show that bash couldnt find the command. And i3 tells me im trying to notify send for a nonexistent window or something.
>>
>>51840066
I know right? Deadbeef is awesome.
>>
>>51840272
Not too sure but the first immediate thing I can see is that notify-send usually uses this format:
>notify-send 'Title of the message' 'Text of the message'
So maybe you need the title as well as the message?
>>
>>51840317
Unfortunately the problem seems to lie somewhere else.
Whatever I type in the terminal, bash says notify-send is a nonexistent command.
But dunst is installed, and notifications work for brightness change and for power manager.
WHY
>>
>>51840404
nvm just installed libnotify-bin
>>
>>51840404
>>51840411
I don't know, I'm sorry. I don't use notify-send so I don't know what the problem would be, I use zenity for this kind of thing.

When you say you just installed it, how? Only thing I can think of is that your user $PATH doesn't include the location of the binary. Maybe power notifications are performed by root/system and the $PATH for that does include the location.

Just a guess though.
>>
>>51840481
so try doing the same command as root, if that works then check the $PATHs.
>>
>>51840481
It's working now, seems that debian install libnotify but not libnotify-bin (which is needed for notify-send to start working). So i just installed that, and now its ok.
Thanks for the help.
>>
>>51830902
Don't. Use KVM with passthrough instead.
>>
I just replaced xfwm4 with awesome.
Now what?
>>
>>51840757
Use it.
>>
So i'm building a VM pc(server) what would be good for my needs, looking at a VM with nas4free with 8TB, teamspeak server in a vm and some other vms.
Proxmox, or Xen or ESXI?
>>
File: 1432172257563.jpg (78 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1432172257563.jpg
78 KB, 576x1024
Hi /g/
I trying to install atom-editor from aur and getting this:
test@archcomputer atom-editor]$ makepkg -sri --force
==> Making package: atom-editor 1.3.1-1 (Sun Dec 13 16:14:00 CET 2015)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
-> Found v1.3.1.tar.gz
-> Found atom-python.patch
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
v1.3.1.tar.gz ... Passed
atom-python.patch ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
-> Extracting v1.3.1.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()...
patching file atom.sh
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
Node: v5.2.0
npm: v2.13.3
Installing build modules...
Installing apm...
Installing modules
Deduping modules
Running "download-electron" task

Running "download-electron-chromedriver" task

Running "build" task
Warning: ENOENT: no such file or directory, symlink '../../bin/apm' -> '/home/test/Downloads/atom-editor/src/atom-build/Atom/resources/new-app/apm/node_modules/.bin/apm' Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...

What do?
>>
Does anyone have experience burning audio CDs using a single FLAC file (not split into separate tracks) with a cuesheet?

I've tried pulling the cuesheet into Brasero but it aborts with an unknown error. I tried K3b, but it just stalls at 0% for some reason. And Xfburn doesn't appear to have any real cue support.
>>
what's the difference between apt-get & apptitude and which one should I use
>>
File: 1426533447155.jpg (44 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1426533447155.jpg
44 KB, 500x738
I hate those friendly linux thread who always shits on Unity.

The DE is great, even for people who never used GNU/Linux before and it's something that stands out by being different and usable.

I can't wait for Unity 8 + Mir. It will finally kill the botnet meme and change from gtk to QT.
>>
>>51840989
try to install atom-editor-bin
>>
Basement dweller that lives with parents here. Mom wants me to build her a pc. I want to run Qubes but she'll probably kick me outta the house if she can't use what I'm making. Considering Mint. Can I dual boot Mint and Qubes, or will Qubes just absolutely block my ability to do that?
>>
>>51841323
It's completely usable, but it does lack customization. Unity Tweak Tool ain't just enough.
>>
>>51841323
Unity was really nice when I used it on a tablet, but when I used it on a desktop it made me want to kill myself.

I wish they'd just switch to Wayland and Compton and stop tryign to be so hipster with it all.
>>
File: 1431812083182.jpg (85 KB, 800x1202) Image search: [Google]
1431812083182.jpg
85 KB, 800x1202
>>51841349
It werks!
Thx dear Anon.
>>
how to remove all shadows in compton conf?

i've noticed that right now, firefox does not have a shadow while most other open windows do, found that strange
>>
>>51842293
Launch compton with the -B flag.
>>
Not sure if this is the right place, but any good resources on how to properly create and use openssl to create certs for your webpage? There is lots of stuff out there but it's all kind of confusing.
>>
>>51841323
Fuck Mir, Wayland is better.
>>
anyone got experience with livestreamer through mpv? The seek functionality on mpv stops working when I watched cached streams like a twitch vod or a youtube video and I don't know how I could fix it.
>>
File: ear.jpg (85 KB, 563x604) Image search: [Google]
ear.jpg
85 KB, 563x604
Hi /g/ ,
How do I add an editor to the "open with" list when you right click some file in xfce(xubuntu)?
>>
>>51842553
Nevermind I found the solution, I just had to add the flag
--player-passthrough=hls
>>
Hey guys, I used to be quite an avid Linux user quite a few years ago (As early as red hat and lindows etc) then I went back to Windows then back to Ubuntu(way before unity or what ever it's called) then back to Windows for a long time.
The reason I keep switching back is because, if I'm honest, it's not that different. So I just take the 'might as well take the easy route' option.

I am thinking about going back to Linux but not a Windows clone. I want to use Linux, and I've come to the point that I want to use arch.
How hardcore is it? Is it out of my scope considering my Linux knowledge is mostly forgotten and outdated?
>>
>>51842643
Anything you don't know, Arch will teach you. Maybe not the first time you try to install it but you'll get there.
>>
>>51842643
Just throw away your knowledge completely i.e. don't try something assuming you know from before that it should work and stick to the installation guide and you're gonna be fine.
>>
Thoughts on Archbang?
>>
>>51842797
>>51842802

Thanks guys, going to throw it on my thinkpad x201 then and see how it goes.
>>
What rsync flags do I need to include to mirror a hard drive so that I can plug it in and boot from it?
>>
>>51830487
Anybody have any resources about Swift on Linux? I've been making some programs, but it's been a bitch since I don't know exactly which parts of Foundation have been implemented yet.
>>
Is PlayOnLinux a good software? If I just wanna quickly boot up some Windows programs every once in a while.
>>
>>51843733
Use a VM, Wine is prone to crashing and weird behaviour.
>>
>>51843825
I actually dual boot Windows but I'm not using Windows much anymore. I'm trying to stop using it completely. The last things that make me go back are video games, unfortunately. Especially Blizzard games (Battle.net), I'm not sure if they work with POL.
>>
My hard drive /dev/sda has partitions from sda1 to sda6, but sda4 is missing. sda3 is extended and contains sda5 (boot), and sda6 (LVM with root, swap and home). What happened to sda4?
>>
>>51844078
Show us your screenshot of gparted.
>>
/g/ I can't decide on a DE. I'm currently using XFCE on Fedora and I like it, but whenever I try to tweak it it, shit breaks. I don't like GNOME just because it just feels lacking in features and none of the extensions seem to really interest me. I've only used KDE Plasma once on Kubuntu and it crashed repeatedly without me even trying to modify anything on it.

Recommend me a DE/WM. I'm on a laptop if that means anything and I care very little for ricing besides a clean, modern look.
>>
>>51844154
Openbox.
>>
>>51843733
No idea, they seem to include a lot of things in those scripts
>>
>>51844134
I'm on a different computer right now but I know that sda4 is not hidden away somewhere, the hard drive space is completely partitioned on the rest.
>>
>>51844240
Just do >>51844134 later
>>
>>51844240
What do you expect us to say if you can't investigate further and want us to blindly believe what you're saying?
>df
>>
>>51844170
Should I use openbox with some DE or just by itself?
>>
>>51844289
I looked at df, lsblk, gparted and the logical volume manager. sda4 isn't there, you can "blindly believe" me that much.
>>
>>51844424
I like Openbox by itself. I can combine it with tint2 + conky for clean UI.
>>
>>51844438
>you can "blindly believe" me that much.
No
>>
>>51844438
Have fun with your disappeared sda4
>>
>>51844467
Have fun waiting for the next question you can't answer.
>>
File: bash.png (5 KB, 472x178) Image search: [Google]
bash.png
5 KB, 472x178
What's the best book or tutorial on Bash scripting? My school links to this one:
http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/index.html

Which looks extensive but it's written by an Indian guy with poor English.
>>
>>51830630
That is goooood!
>>
>>51835681
Suicide Linux.
>>
>>51844515
Yeah sure, will do.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.