[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's Game Maker /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: gamemaker43.png (11 KB, 762x549) Image search: [Google]
gamemaker43.png
11 KB, 762x549
How's Game Maker /g/?
>>
Probably the best game development framework.
>>
if it was good enough for undertale, it's good enough for your crappy game idea
>>
it holds every asset in RAM
which means a NES tier game like undertale still has moderate system requirements
not like it matters in 2015 but its just bad design
>>
Everyone I've ever encountered who has used it for any amount of time has always turned out to have had some kind of mental deficiency. It's the first stop for a lot of kids who enter "make games" into Google after all. I suppose there have been a few okay things made with it, but those are an overwhelming minority. Anyone serious about game development would probably be better off looking elsewhere.
>>
>>51829146
Kinda annoying with all the online/account shit.
I wouldn't install it on my own PC.

Also nobody wants another shitty 2D indie game.
>>
it's the visual vasic of video game creation
>>
>>51829146
It was kind of cute before it was taken over by kikes.
>>
>>51829254
this is configurable on a per-asset basis

>>51829276
It's piss easy and the first result on a search. You're bound to get sonme bottom-of-the-barrel shit.

>>51829429
literally this
>>
>>51829146

The multiports work flawlessly..
If you are making 2d games, I see no reason not to use it.
>>
>>51830511
Are you typing that on a macbook in starbucks?
>no reason not to use it.
>$150
>No idea if you're going to make your money back
>>
I mean it's good for simple 2d games. Worked for undertale
>>
File: 1437280647966.gif (2 MB, 468x346) Image search: [Google]
1437280647966.gif
2 MB, 468x346
>>51832005
A drop in the ocean compared to the money you lose trying to make a game instead of working a real job full time.
>>
It makes easy things very easy and everything else "doable if you're very, very clever."

Like "hmmm this doesn't support JSON objects but if I import this text file into an array object and then have sixteen NPC objects parse the code and shoot bullets at each other on certain keywords and then merge the results into flags and string globals I have my parser!!! BAZINGA I am a GENIOUS!!!"
>>
Like others have said, it's good for 2d games. Just pirate it if you're not sure about it.
>>
>>51829146
Its actually pretty good for 2D games. Its also amazing for making fangames if you're not into pro dev.
>>
got it for 10$ through humble bundle and I've enjoyed using it for making shitty games starring pictures of my friends for sprites. I would never pay the full 150$ for it though
>>
Remember when this shit costed $20 and had just as many features
>>
>>51833542
this
>>
>>51833542
Was it available for $20 with HTML5/Android/iOS compilers?
>>
>>51832795
old GM was just like "fuck it, go write a DLL for that shit (use Delphi pls)"
and even as early as GM5.3 (maybe earlier), you could write a better solution than that, since GM started supporting proper data structures

that being said, why are you using JSON with GM

>>51833577
admittedly, no
Still, most features after GM6 were kind of extraneous, except for GM8's absolutely massive speed increase and support for alpha blending in the sprite editor -- GM6 on supported per-pixel blending, it was just a pain in the dick to actually use.

hell, most features after GM5.3 were extraneous, although that shit was fucking slow (I remember having to target 45FPS because I wanted something approaching a decent framerate while being able to have more than 30 objects on screen and so people could actually play the game), people would write games at 60 and wonder why everyone who played was saying that it ran slowly
the speed bump from 5.x to 6.x was like night and day

>>51833474
That sale was great, mostly because it had the Android export. Absolute steal just for that.
>>
>>51829146
It's pretty good to start if you want to dive into game dev, because you don't have much to care apart for game design.
You can learn a lot and make something that looks like a game. Spelunky was first made with game maker.
>>
Actual indie dev here and not a dumb nodev.
Game Maker is a great tool to start out with and very good for prototyping.
In time, you will probably change to a different engine, but that's okay. It's a lot easier to start with something like Game Maker, you kinda have a natural progression (use the drag and drop -> occasionally use GM script in your blocks -> mostly use GM script and just use the GUI for managing assets) as opposed to a huge, daunting set of features you'll be tempted to use.

Get some experience, no matter how bad the games, just finish them, find out what works for you, then migrate to a more powerful engine or roll your own if you must.

Do not under any circumstances roll your own engine if you have not made like 10 games before, it will suck, you will never finish it.
>>
I'm not a fucking pleb. I'm gonna use sdl and c/c++ like a real nigga.
>>
made my only game in highschool with it and got an a. it was a platformer.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.