[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How were operating systems of old phones written? Pure asm? C
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Nokia3310.jpg (24 KB, 299x532) Image search: [Google]
Nokia3310.jpg
24 KB, 299x532
How were operating systems of old phones written? Pure asm? C with asm? Is source code available anywhere?
>>
hardware specific assembly code
>>
Something like pic related, pretty sure C (with some ASM of course for kernel etc)
>>
Always C or some higher level languages. No one writes anything remotely big in pure assembly. That's what compilers are for.
>>
>>51829222
Not that I don't agree with you, but this fucker was written in ASM
>>
>Old phones operating systems

How new are you? Old phones were only used for phone calls and messages
>>
>>51829284
But they still had an operating system.
>>
>>51829222
It's common in embedded systems to figure out where your code spends most of its time and then write those portions in assembly. For a lot of architectures the standard tools still emit assembly language that is worse than what you can do by hand.
>>
>>51829284
and in what way is that related to the questing in what language their operating systems were programmed ?
>>
>>51829280
No. There are C functions in rct to interact with directx and windows drivers.
>>
>>51829284
>Being this fucking retarded

Tell me anon, what is an OS
>>
>>51829222
a nokia like the pic in OP would be written in just assembly, it's not a large enough program to need to use C
>>
File: Trap.gif (9 KB, 344x400) Image search: [Google]
Trap.gif
9 KB, 344x400
>>51829284

>he doesn't know about libraries for S60!
>>
>>51829280
Wasn't Z written in ASM aswell?

Iirc games magazines used that as an argument why it ran so great on old hardware.
>>
>>51829284
what about snake? that's a game right there.
>>
>>51829858
i'd love to see its source code
>>
So would there be any way to possibly get into one of these phones and maybe get some code or files off it or anything?
>>
>>51830131
I would. Like many programmers, I made a snake clone many, many years ago and I would love to see how mine compares to theirs.
>>
Flip phones ran on Java for some reason. You could actually get, like, Sonic the Hedgehog and stuff if you knew where to look.
>>
>>51829280
I would seriously consider doing small games as assembly exercises because of RCT.
>>
>>51830736
Correction: I'm seriously considering
>>
>>51829858

Oh man, when I got a color screen Nokia I was pretty devastated that they didn't have Snake on it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.