[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>build a PC for little brother with a 120gb SSD because he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
File: w10-update.jpg (374 KB, 852x640) Image search: [Google]
w10-update.jpg
374 KB, 852x640
>build a PC for little brother with a 120gb SSD because he only plays like 3 games
>has worked fine for months
>Win10 update comes that acts as a whole new install and keeps the old Windows install
>he's now asking me why his drive only has 10mb
>he already tried disk clean up but he didn't know it's under system files to clean previous install which is 30 fucking gigs

Why is Microsoft so incompetent? I wish they didn't have a goddamn monopoly on games because OS X at least doesn't have this bullshit. Vulkan please save us.

Also fuck them they changed all my default programs.
>>
Ah yet another reason to stay on win 7. Thanks op
>>
>>51828324
>120GB
>2005+10

It's your fault for building a computer with a third world tier storage size.
>>
why don't you remove the old install?
I've upgraded on a 120GB SSD too and had not a single problem with it.
>>
>>51828509
>Ah yet another reason to stay on win 7.

I agree, Windows 7 really is the cure for people with not enough brain-cells to tick that one box in disk cleanup.
>>
>>51828545
>why don't you remove the old install?

I did but the average person isn't going to know how. It's hidden under system files which needs Admin privileges.
>>
>>51828619
it gets deleted on its own after 30 days.

it tells you on the upgrade page that you have 30 days to roll back to your old installation.
>>
>>51828324
This is why we are all fucked when it comes to tech.

People should at least learn to google.
How come almost nobody cares about learning or gathering information on anything?
Even worse if you confront someone about it all your get is "lol, fucking nerd".
>>
>>51828619
C:/
Windows.old folder wow it is fucking nothing.
>>
>>51828530
>this somehow justifies it as being okay
How can you people just eat up all this windows 10 shit and deny all bad things about it?
>>
old install is automatically removed after 1 month
>>
>>51828634
That would be fine if Microsoft made it so it only installs with a decent amount of free space left and not the bare minimum leaving you with 10 megs of space.

>>51828648
You think someone computer illiterate enough not to know that is just going to delete that? People are wary of deleting shit like that because lel del System32
>>
>>51828685
If your brother is that retarded why is he even allowed to use a PC in the first place?

Make him use a console and a Mac.
>>
>>51828530
it's sad that the only thing you can brag about is a large ssd
>>
>>51828685
The average computer illerate isn't going to care how big MS since it has no affect on their Web browsing in their prebuilt shitter.

>b-but mah gaymes
If you took the time to buy nice hardware you should be able to take the time to learn how to clean your drives.
>>
>>51828756
I explained why. Games. You can't play LoL and Minecraft on a console and OS X has a tiny library of games. Why are so many of you incapable of reading?
>>
>>51828776
This.

People need to stop thinking that you don't have to learn the damn software you are using.

Only stupid people would use a car if they didn't know how to drive.
>>
File: Disk-Cleanup.jpg (69 KB, 640x470) Image search: [Google]
Disk-Cleanup.jpg
69 KB, 640x470
>>51828652
>Open Disk Cleanup, which is the place to go to delete Windows's trash since forever
>Click Clean up system files
>Tick Previous Windows Installations
>OK

And if you are literally retarded and don't know how to Google it, it shouldn't be a problem anyway because it gets deleted after 30 days.

It's either backing up your previous Windows so you can downgrade if something doesn't work on Windows 10, which takes some storage, or just don't do it and get fucked in the ass if something goes wrong.

>>51828761
I have a 1TB HDD, which is probably cheaper and OP's brother wouldn't even notice the difference.
>>
>>51828799
You literally can play both of those tho
>>
>>51828799
>You can't play LoL and Minecraft on a console
You can on a Mac though.
>>
So if I were to upgrade to Win10 now would it keep a backup of Win8 and then another backup of Win10 when you install this update?
>>
>>51828828
LoL isn't on consoles and Minecraft has limitations on console from my understanding but I don't play it.

>>51828830
Did you just stop reading after console?
>>
>>51828869
Then tell your brother to learn the fucking OS he's using instead of being a retard.
>>
>>51828904
Ok, I'll tell him a neckbeard is mad on the internet because he can't Windows.
>>
>>51828936
Do it. Then slap him and tell him he's everything that's wrong in the world.
>>
>>51828824
>>51828818
We know it's an easy fix you dumb sacks of shit. The point is we shouldn't need to work around Microsoft's incompetence. Since when did a goddamn Windows update need 30 gigs of space?
>>
>>51828956
>Then slap him and tell him he's everything that's wrong in the world.

I'd rather tell that to the people that thought this was ok in the first place.
>>
>>51828959
Since people started asking for a feature to not have to painstaking spend hours backing up all your data every time to want to reinstall Windows.

>>51828984
Your brother you mean. Since he's the fucker that's using Windows 10 in the first place.
>>
>>51828959
Please, tell me, what do you prefer:
>Have a 30Gb backup so if Windows 10 doesn't work well, restore your previous Windows installation just as you left it.
>Don't have a backup, if something goes wrong, you are beyond fucked.

So how is this exactly Microsoft's incompetence?

>Since when did a goddamn Windows update need 30 gigs of space?
Since you are installing a whole new OS instead of a 3MB security update.
>>
>>51829042
>Since he's the fucker that's using Windows 10 in the first place.

I'm the one that installed Windows 10. It was free and he's also going to be locked into it anyway because of DX12.
>>
>>51828324
what dell is that familia?
>>
>>51829071
>So how is this exactly Microsoft's incompetence?

Because previous updates never required a whole new goddamn install? Can you not read?

>Since you are installing a whole new OS instead of a 3MB security update.

This update at the very most only amounts to a service pack, it isn't even that really.
>>
>>51829071
I'd prefer the option of making it a bootable backup on an external disc where it would actually be useful if Windows went full retard and I wasn't even able to boot into it to do the restore.

Like what happened with my friend.
>>
>install Winshit 10 like a fucking imbecile, even though it's worse in pretty much every aspect
>get surprised when you get a bad experience

fucking normies I swear
>>
>>51829081
Ever heard the expression, "Vote with your wallet"?

A lot of people on /g/ agree Windows 10 is a shitty system. So we don't use it, because we don't want to contribute to them making things even shittier.

>>51829111
>Because previous updates never required a whole new goddamn install? Can you not read?
That's because it's never downloaded a entirely new god damn OS before.

Don't want to update? Get a fucking Windows 10 disk and use that.

>This update at the very most only amounts to a service pack, it isn't even that really.
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51829111
There's a difference between update and upgrade. Every upgrade since win7 backed up whole system. And even updates can be rolled back when they fail.

Don't blame your incompetence on others.
>>
>>51829111
>Comparing installing a different OS to a Service Pack or a regular windows update

Ok, stopped reading here, I won't waste more time trying to explain basic shit to you.

Have a nice day and read a goddamn book.
>>
>>51829111
Windows.old was introduced either in 7 or Vista you dumbfuck. And going from XP to 7 or from 7 to 10 is considered update only in your retarded head.
>>
>>51828324
>>Win10 update comes that acts as a whole new install and keeps the old Windows install
so you can roll that shit back in case shit breaks?

If they didn't do that you'd be

>this update broke shit and now I can't go back
Why is Microsoft so incompetent
>>
>>51829181
>Ever heard the expression, "Vote with your wallet"?

I'm not going to tell my little brother he can't play games because of that. I guess you've never had a little sibling.

>>51829191
Microsoft themselves are calling this an update...

>>51829243
>>51829233
>>51829191
>>51829181
You do know what we're talking about right? He already had Windows 10 installed, not 8.1 you dumbshits. This is a Win10 to Win10 update that creates a whole new Windows.old install.

Fuck you people are dumb.
>>
>>51829181
>A lot of people on /g/ agree Windows 10 is a shitty system. So we don't use it, because we don't want to contribute to them making things even shittier.

Every fucking new version of anything is considered shitty by /g/. When new version of Windows comes out, there will be retards crying for their beloved Windows 10 instead of using Windows 11.
>>
>>51829266
>You do know what we're talking about right? He already had Windows 10 installed, not 8.1 you dumbshits. This is a Win10 to Win10 update that creates a whole new Windows.old install.
and what if that update broke shit?

Are you really complaining that Microsoft is "caring" for users by backing their shit up in case of a worst case scenario?
>>
>>51829283
>and what if that update broke shit?

Having a previous restore point is fine. The problem is it's an update that amounts to a Service Pack at most and yet requires a whole new install. How many times to I have to repeat myself?
>>
>>51829316
Because doing a "reinstall" is good so that the update starts from a "clean" windows install, again, in case of a worst case scenario
>>
>>51829266
>I'm not going to tell my little brother he can't play games because of that. I guess you've never had a little sibling.
If you refer to DX12, you don't need DX12 support to play games and you won't need for years.
>>51829279
There will be no Windows 11 and actually for once it's not just /g/ crying about spynets.
>>
I just love how the same people say "You can't even learn to use terminal to do your stuff? Are you retarded?" but when it's Microsoft and you have to use GUI to do some shit "That's too complicated, average user has no idea."
>>
>>51829279
I remember there were people still using Firefox 3.6 here up till a couple years ago.
>>
>>51829316
What do you think "previous restore point" is?
>>
>>51829338
>There will be no Windows 11 and actually for once it's not just /g/ crying about spynets.

True, there are also clickbait "tech news" and commie sites. Even Unix-oriented sites did a test and found absolutely nothing suspicious.
>>
>>51829279
Windows 10 is objectively shit, you god damn retard.
It might become good later on, but right now it sucks for multiple reasons.
>>
>>51829279
I'm not oldfag enough to know this, did people on /g/ bitch when Windows 7 came out? Like "baww, it's worse than XP"? I'm just curious.
>>
>>51829372
It's not a whole Windows install if that's what you think it is.
>>
>>51829384
>but right now it sucks for multiple reasons
such as?
>>
>>51829394
Yes. There was XP vs 7 wars here for a while. It took a bit before people forgot about Vista which stopped people from wanting to upgrade. Also I think the first release of 7 kinda sucked iirc, it was SP1 that fixed it or maybe that was Vista I forget.
>>
>>51829405
spyware
forced updates
adware
bugs
slowness
>>
>>51829430
>maybe that was Vista
Nothing could fix Vista, anon
>>
>>51829394
Normies sure did, because somebody told them that something is bad, they usually even didn't know what it was, but they sure "knew" that it's bad. I remember the crying when XP came out. Windows Mojave is another example.
>>
>>51829430
Vista was pretty bad until like SP2

Because IIRC at that point they backported some shit from 7 (Which was like Vista++)

Also Vista got a lot of flack because
a) Hardware OEMs put it on XP era hardware, so it ran like shit
b) New driver model, so older hardware didn't work until manufacturers put out new drivers
>>
>>51829394
People are still running xp.
>>
>>51829443
>spyware
>forced updates
I'll concede you these two points

but
>adware
>bugs
>slowness
I have none of that (>ssd mustard race, no slowness here)
>>
>>51829443
You can turn the first 3 off and it's no slower or buggier than 7/8.1
>>
>>51829394
7 was liked, because it wasn't Vista (that's how normies reasoned about it anyway).

>>51829430
XP is still better than 7 in some ways, though obviously it's deprecated for online use now.
MS usually improves some aspects in new versions, but fucks something up in the process.
They just fucked up a bit too much with 10.
>>
>>51829485
Retarded people are.
>>
>>51829502
>You can turn the first 3 off
For now!
>>
>>51829502
>You can turn the first 3 off

Nope, unless you are suggesting people pirate Enterprise.
And it most certainly is buggier than 7 and 8. It will probably take another year to get on the same level of stability.
>>
>>51829266
>>51829338
This, what fucking games are you talking about, by the sounds of your brother he's already a sperglord, his precious Minecraft or LoL will never need DX12.

No developers are making DX12 games because the install base is too small
>>
>>51829485
If you're going to run a deprecated OS then why not just run Linux? Smh
>>
File: 2015-12-13_00-01-34.png (13 KB, 746x150) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-13_00-01-34.png
13 KB, 746x150
>>51829545
Well, would you look at that
Windows 10 Pro
>>
>>51829549
I'm sure Minecraft will get it when they rework the engine being owned my M$ now and it fucking needs it, thing just eats CPU cycles like it's running Prime95
>>
File: 2015-12-13_00-02-48.png (4 KB, 281x176) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-13_00-02-48.png
4 KB, 281x176
>>51829570
also
>>
Spyware? Oh, you mean that kind that connects to the internet when you are searching on the internet. You must mean this, because it's like 99% of every connection made with Microsoft server - and it's usually the server that hosts Bing.
>>
>>51828324
it gives you the option to roll back to win7, which you should
>>
>>51829382
I don't give a shit about whether it is suspicious or not. I care about my computer bossing me around which I don't like. I'm the person who purchased this computer for my own money and I'm entitled to having control over it, which is not what happens when you instal Windows 10 Botnet Editionâ„¢. Is it so hard to comprehend? I don't want forced updates, I don't want telemetry, I don't want my OS to remove programs that I installed because it believes it is harmful. I know what I'm doing and don't need my computer to hold my hand so I don't trip myself.
If they fix all this shit, which basically means they revert to 7 with DX12 I will make a switch. Otherwise they can suck my cock. I'm not even murican and honestly speaking couldn't care less about NSA surveillance.
>>
>>51828324
It does the same from RTM to Threshold 2. Bloody annoying since I gave winshit a tiny partition that was just what it needed on my SSD.
>>
>>51829570
>>51829590
Just because there's an option in gpedit doesn't mean it works.
You cannot disable auto updates, you can only defer SOME of them.
Just like you cannot disable spyware in Pro, even if there's a setting in gpedit.
>>
>>51829343
Average GNU/Linux user and average Microsoft user are far, far apart.
>>
>>51829430
>>51829504
I personally liked 7 straight from the moment I saw it, it has the nicest presentation of any OS next to the latest versions of OSX
It has all the features you need, W10 does nothing W7 can't do + Spyware.

The only problem I had upgrading from XP to Vista to 7 was not being able to play some old games, then Microsoft came to the rescue with XP mode.

I miss the old Microsoft, y'know, back when they were alright and not straight up villains
>>
>works for the vast majority of users
>doesn't work for OP
>must be shit!!!!!111

Also nigga, everyone knows you do a fresh install when possible.
>>
>>51829549
Fable is coming out with DX12 soon. Also the install base is huge. GPUs going back to 2010 will all benefit from DX12.
>>
>>51829647
Welcome to /g/ buddy
>>
>>51829585
Ok that's a fair point, forgot about that.
But how long has it been since the said they were reworking the engine, it's been years.
>>
>>51829645
>old Microsoft
>not straight up villains
>>
>>51829644
Yup, remove man pages and disconnect from the internet and average GNU/Linux user is fucked when there is a problem.
>>
>>51829632
No, fuck off, unless you can prove that the first one "Notify about available updates" doesn't notify about all of them, then fuck off.

Because here's what it says under gpedit
"This setting lets you specify whether automatic updates are enabled on this computer. "
>>
>>51828573
don't be a meanie
>>
>>51829645
>back when they were alright and not straight up villains
like before basic for altair or something?
>>
>>51829645
>I miss the old Microsoft, y'know, back when they were alright and not straight up villains
PFFFFF AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
To people on 7:
Why do you put up with it?
The system spams you with advertisements for windows 10 like it was a virus in the early 2000's.
The system waste a lot of space in order to optimize for the scenario that you accidentally click the barrage of popups and wreck your system.
I have so many relatives who call me so I can fix their computer from this virus that is windows 10.
>>
>>51829765
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html
>>
>>51829765
It's literally just about one update every two months that you have to hide.
In return you get an OS that isn't utter shit.
>>
>>51828324
>OS X
>good for gaming
lolfuckno
>>
>>51829765
>The system spams you with advertisements for windows 10
It doesn't even work on mine. I get "GWXUX.exe has stopped working." popups instead.
>>
>>51829765
>The system spams you with advertisements for windows 10 like it was a virus in the early 2000's.
I don't have that update installed.
>The system waste a lot of space in order to optimize for the scenario that you accidentally click the barrage of popups and wreck your system.
I don't have that update installed.
>>
>>51829677
They used to be more like anti heroes
>>
>>51829980
>anti heroes
No

They were straight up supervillains
>>
>>51829765
To the guy clearly on W10, you can uninstall those updates, you remember them right, how you could control what features you have installed unlike taking Cortana and Edge dick up your ass dry
>>
>>51828573
Because that is the only issue so far with win 10
>>
>>51829991
Well fine, can we agree they were villains but now they're supervillains, co-directed by satan and josef fritzl
>>
>>51830769
At the very least they're pandering even more to normies and acting more complacent than they have in the past.
>>
>>51830946
I realise they're probably only doing the botnet shit now because the tech didn't exist in the past and the didn't have the same position of influence they do now
>>
>>51831039
It wouldn't surprise me if that is the case. The main trend that bothers me is that they definitely justify it as "improving the user-friendliness and making windows more accessible than ever! Now you don't even have to do anything other than start chrome and use your social media garbage because we've got all the rest sorted out for you!"

When in reality they're making it worse than it ever was for users who know what the fuck they want.
>>
>>51829181
>vote with your wallet
joke's on you /g/ uses FOSS and pirates everything else that isnt.
>>
>>51828324
You're being an ignorant consumer who lets himself get fed garbage and only complains after the fact.
Please stop and read the docs before acting like a fool.

>Why is Microsoft so incompetent?
In regards to the Windows 10 update, I think that's the opposite of incompetent. The windows.old folder is on a 30 days grace period, that's how they're able to downgrade you straight back to where you came from. It not only serves as a downgrade option, but as a failsafe too should the Windows 10 installation itself go wrong.
I'm not saying "be grateful you only have 10MB left", but I'm saying "be grateful you don't lose all of your data should the installation crash".

>Also fuck them they changed all my default programs.
Sure, I'll give you that.
>>
>>51828324
>osx
They're both trash. At least windows has good compatibility.
>>
>>51828324
>I don't think you need any more than 120 GB for your entire system
SSD retards never change. If I were your brother I would be sure to let you know that you're a fucking moron for making that call. Normal people don't give a shit about SSDs
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (30 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
30 KB, 332x443
>>51828324
>Update to windows 10
>Use newly activated windows 10 key to format and reinstall windows
>enjoy your fully functional and clean windows installation

Do people not do this? Do people really do dirty updates?
What the fuck.
>>
>>51828324
>buys 120gb ssd
>why is Microsoft so incompetent
>baiting this hard
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.