[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there people on /g/ who insult others who care about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 5
File: 1437052136798.png (15 KB, 286x329) Image search: [Google]
1437052136798.png
15 KB, 286x329
Why are there people on /g/ who insult others who care about privacy and freedom?

I just don't understand it, what do you have to gain from having your rights stripped away from you day after day?
>>
Privacy and freedom are illusions.
>>
Because I have nuthin2hide
>>
>>51827180
What's your name?
>>
>>51826864
Most Americans are brainwashed. It's that simple and it's getting worse.
>>
>>51827180
Post all your account names and passwords.
>>
>>51826864
Because tinfoil freetards are zealots. They jump into every thread trying to spout their ideology.
>>
they don't really care about tech they're just here to talk about their smartphones
>>
>>51827259
Butt dey don have aseess to that yeesss??? xD?
>>
Fighting for privacy and freedom is a huge responsibility that consumer-tier people simply don't want to take up. So they mock the idea as a means of keeping it from ascending widely through society.

It's the same thing that meat-eaters do when the discussion comes up of how unethical and unhealthy it is to consume meat.

It's bullying tactics.
>>
>>51826864
because >>51827163

if they want to spy on you, they'll find a way no matter what shitty operating system and sub-par software you chose to try to ignore them with, especially when most of you crybaby faggots are running on epic x86 gaeman rigs /g/ built for you with backdoored hardware
>>
>>51827298
That's a big speech impediment.

But anyways, make sure to post the correct information, username and password. You're not hiding anything in your accounts, are you?

Don't worry, this won't affect anyone who does legal things, only those pesky pedos and stuff.
>>
I believe there are people who advertise on /g/, and I don't mean advertise in the "does it for free" fanboys but the actual 4chan division of M$ or Aplel or whatever that posts. Of course whatever ideology they want to push like telemetry or nonstop monitoring they'll mock people who oppose it.

What I personally don't get is people who think advertising doesn't exist on 4chan. To an extent on reddit as well, it's like somehow impossible to grasp how companies would post product spam to a place frequented by millions of unique individuals.

>B-but we have /d/ and cocks and we shout faggot constantly M$ w-would never post here
I doubt they give even one flying fuck about that, if they make people believe it's all natural does it for free spam then they'll advertise wherever they can.

I mean for fucks sake, before the Surface pro 4/Surface book released there were NONSTOP threads about it, just non fucking stop as if people here honestly gave THAT Much of a shit about some overpriced and underpowered buggy POS. I can believe people honestly care about the $5 rasberry pi and that only got a handful of threads but with the release of the apple watch or the macbook or some dell XPS or whatever it's just nonstop max commented threads about it for weeks
>>
>>51827316
Interesting analogy. I'm big into free software but feast upon vegan tears. I guess one is because of my interest in how things work and the other is because I'm a recreational bodybuilder. In other words one isn't convenient for me
>>
>>51827259
>having your information scroll by some random drone who's seen it thousands of times and doesn't care, or couldn't do shit even if they wanted to
>versus some teenager on 4chan with more than enough reason to harm you
Why do people spin this like it's at all a valid comparison?
>>
>>51826864
My guess is the majority of people spouting anti privacy trash on /g/ are either

>rusemen trying to ruse tinfoilers
or
>/v/edditors trying to rationalize their choices in other way that the ancient >but muh gaymes

The rest is probably a spillover from other boards who are here to pick their next made in china electronic toy.

Besides.
Even being "privacy conscious" ie. doing the best to make sure your right to privacy is safe and secure is a lot of work and a big responsibility.

You DO have to sacrifice a lot of convenience.
Comformist people are simply not willing enough to do it.

They're like that bald goatee guy from the matrix. Ignorance is bliss
And again, an attempt to rationalize their choices by spewing the nuffin to hide phrase.
>>
>>51827374
I'm more and more convinced there is a shilling campaign here as well, half of the shit on this board would have been shitposted into oblivion by "old" /g/ if you even so much as passingly mentioned it.
>>
>>51827390
Sounds like you're hiding something.
>>
>>51827330
I iss not suree... CAn Windows 11 see dis??
>>
>>51827316
Why is it unethical and unhealthy to consume meat?
>>
>>51827316
I make fun of privacy advocates on /g/ because they're mostly dipshits who understand privacy but not who they're "fighting" against, they live in some leftist/anarchist cyberpunk fantasy land of slippery slopes and hollywood stereotypes, and assume that everyone else lives on the internet as much as they do.
>>
>>51827437
Sure. From you. The same way people trust doctors to see them naked, but not some random homeless man on the street.
>>
>>51827497
unethical because animals feel as much pain and have as much of a will to live as humans.

and in recent studies its been shown how cancerous meat has turned out to be.
>>
>>51827555
But that's the point. Once you give up the information you have absolutely no control on who gets to see it. There are almost no 'true', as in actually enforced, control on who gets to see the information or what they get to do with it.

Once you lose your privacy it is gone and never coming back. Maybe your neighbor won't see it but the people at the top will NEVER let you get away from control
>>
>>51827605
Yup, and who's to say others down the chain won't exploit it?
>>
File: 1447204799966.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447204799966.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
Only fedora'd stallmanite neckbeards with no job bitch about freedumbs. Stallman has done fuck all to actually maintain or improve the quality of open source software in recent years. His whiny preaching on mailing lists is just a distraction to actual developers.
>>
>>51827605
>Maybe your neighbor won't see it but the people at the top will NEVER let you get away from control
Control of what? We have no control, freedom doesn't exist in reality, that's how it is.

>>51827651
And who's to say they will? Is there a documented case you can point me to? This is why people mock you, because you operate on nothing but assumptions.
>>
>>51826864
We're not against privacy and freedom, we're against tinfoil hatting.

Wanting someone to write a superfluous free app/frontend just for 1 website just because said website relies on a piece of non-free js to work is complete paranoia, tinfoilhattery and just creates more problems than it solves.
>>
>>51827713
>because there's no absolute perfect example of freedom in reality we must give away every bit of privacy

Teehee.

Also, you need me to point out the thousands of examples of exploits?
>>
>>51827764
>slippery slope shit
>I'm still right! Just figure it out yourself!
>>
"great software"
>>
>>51827792
>no one can ever make educated predictions because I complained about a fallacy on the internets

Kk.
>>
Regardless of whether privacy is or isn't important, if you want something digital to remain private can't you just encrypt it? Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture
>>
>>51827325
>>51827163
What kind of defeatist faggotry is this?
>hurr can do nuffin about it why bother try
Fuck off, bootlicking cocksuckers.
The right to privacy is an inherit one.

>>51827390
>having your information scroll by some random drone who's seen it thousands of times and doesn't care
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOVEINT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEXINT

>>51827605
>absolutely no control on who gets to see it
>There are almost no 'true', as in actually enforced, control on who gets to see the information or what they get to do with it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidentiality

>>51827713
>freedom doesn't exist in reality, that's how it is
>only true freedom is death, maaan
>darkasmysoul.webm
>>
>>51827919
>Encryption isn't magic, some forms of Encryptions already have known vulnerabilities and ones that aren't known might still exist but are kept secret to exploit it

>Encryption is breakable, when Quantum computers are fully developed all current forms of encryption are theoretically useless

>Backdoors are placed in software and hardware so even if you do encrypt it doesn't mean that other people can't just simply take the key and use it

>Most importantly laws are trying to be passed to make encryption some sort of evil thing to do, "What do you mean you have it encrypted you aren't trying to hide anything are you?"
>>
>>51827919
What use is encryption if you can't trust the software doing the encryption or the OS on which you use that software or the very hardware it runs on? That's the problem freetards hope to address.
>>
>>51827945
Yeah sure there is confidentiality but then it goes back to the whole it's not actually enforced issue. Where random ass NSA agents were found to be spying on old girlfriends/boyfriends and doing other illegal things and they were only shuffled around the organization and not even fired for these breaches.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (109 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
109 KB, 569x428
>>51826864
>I just don't understand it, what do you have to gain from having your rights stripped away
For one Chrome is superior to free as in freedom software IF you disregard the privacy aspect

Google is by far the best search engine too

So that's 2 major benefits right there

In my experience proprietary software is generally superior because usually it's made by Big Corp with lots of resources to hire top developers and designers. As a graphics designer this is certainly true for almost all the software i use

So in the end the price of the illusion of privacy and freedom is having to use inferior software and breaking websites. Now i say illusion because you can't use the internet and have complete privacy and unless you're living in the wilderness while being self sufficient you don't have real freedom either

Getting back your privacy and freedom requires substantial change in the way our society works and this has to be achieved on the political level, not by using a shitty browser/OS/browser extensions etc so in my opinion you have chosen the wrong place to stand your ground

Also, a lot of freetards seems to be poster boys for autism and invade every thread with non-free software spamming their stalmann tier crap which gets annoying
>>
>>51827555
Would you trust your doctor to take pictures of you naked and store it in a centralized database at the hospital?
>>
Because normies don't give a fuck. Also normies.
>>
>>51827999
>Also, a lot of freetards seems to be poster boys for autism and invade every thread with non-free software spamming their stalmann tier crap which gets annoying
Hey bruh if you need a hugbox there's always reddit willing to provide it
>>
>>51827999
Well said, and nice trips. I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Let's face it: you have no freedom on the internet. You can use your contrarian operating systems but at the end of the day, if you are reading this, you are most likely sacrificing some degree of privacy.

What you are trying to achieve needs to start at a governmental level. It's the wrong place to stand your ground, nerds.
>>
>>51828066
I'm not sure how you got that i need a hugbox from my post

I do my fair share of shitposting too but OP asked why some of us mock freetards

I answered
>>
>>51828074
More black and white thinking. "If you can't have 100% privacy, why not just settle for 0%?"
How shallow
>>
>>51827863
>my "predictions" are educated, stupid sheep! I don't have to prove them!
(You)

>>51827945
I knew about LOVEINT but not about SEXINT, that's pretty interesting. Looking at the thus confirmed targets, however, it's hardly worrying. The US and other western countries have practiced stupid shit like this for a very long time.
>>
>>51827316
Hey, hey guise, how do you know when someone's a vegan?
>>
>>51827988

The one thing that unsettles me with the lack of privacy is the misuse of information that might be gotten from me. It's unlikely, but it doesn't feel nice.
>>
>>51828088
Because if you don't have 100% privacy, you have 0% privacy.
>>
>>51828088
No

It's a question of choosing your battles and if you think using shitty software is where you'll win you need to rethink your strategy
>>
>>51826864
People who have sold everything to the botnet feel uncomfortable when they meet someone who hasn't, so they ridicule those who remind them of what they lost.
>>
>>51827325
>epic x86 gaeman rigs
What the fuck else would you use in a personal computer? I'm legitimately curious. Power processors are literally being made by the US government.
>>
>>51828121
Refer back to the same post you're quoting for a response.
>>
Because doing anything not-stupid makes you le autism, which is suddenly important on a fucking imageboard.
>>
>>51827999
nice trips

>For one Chrome is superior to free as in freedom software IF you disregard the privacy aspect
Thats debatable...
Chrome isn't faster in terms of javascript benchmarks and the difference in HTML/CSS support between Chrome and Firefox is negligible. It's personal preference really.

>stalmann tier crap which gets annoying
They are the problem. GPL is the problem.
We've created this world where stuff is either a proprietary botnet or a libre piece of shit.

Its totally possible to make proprietary software that respects your rights.
>>
>>51828170
Not him but i think you missed his point which is that your hardware has backdoors so it doesn't matter what obscure OS you put on it
>>
>>51828180
You're not settling, you're getting. If there is a single breach, the whole thing is compromised. You're living in an illusion of privacy, using barriers that are easily circumvented if the big bad government is as big and bad as you shitpost about.
>>
>>51826864
Must be because most freefags act like they're on a moral higher ground compared to everyone else.
>>
>>51828170
Loongson chips, pre-backdoor legacy hardware.

I've been considering setting up a SPARC workstation with Debian or OpenBSD lately.

>Power processors are literally being made by the US government.
I never understood why /g/ thinks POWER CPUs are the only option anymore, AIX shit is literally as hipster as you can get in the UNIX world.
>>
>>51828088
It's not black and white thinking. Thinking that 100% privacy is possible is retarded, that's what it's about.
>>
File: 1449772568026.jpg (87 KB, 960x754) Image search: [Google]
1449772568026.jpg
87 KB, 960x754
>>51827316
>>
>>51828203
>>51828209
"If you leave one window open on the 2nd floor of your house when you're not home, you might as well leave all the windows and doors wide open and put a sign up that says "TAKE ALL MY SHIT""
>>
>>51828135
>all libre software is shit
Is that why no companies or individuals are using it?
>>
>>51828074
How does being on 4chan compromise my privacy?
Genuine question, I don't know much about this stuff.
>>
>>51828267
Pretty much, because ladders exist, you know? And you're in a pretty shitty neighborhood.

If you value your privacy so much, why are you trying to make excuses for being a half-ass about it?
>>
>>51828267
>flawed analogy - the post
>>51828283
Companies and individuals have very different needs when it comes to software

When it comes to consumer software, generally, the libre alternatives are inferior
>>
>>51828283
Enterprises mostly use free software in infrastructure, where free software really shines.

Those same companies are very rarely using LO or GIMP in their offices.
>>
>>51828267
So in your mind using OSX and Safari for instance is equivalent to announcing your IP, login and password and credit card info to the world?
>>
>>51828309
>>51828326
Still can't think beyond 2 possible options.

Fewer access points = lower risk.
I'm safer only being vulnerable to people who own a ladder and will put it up against my house to break in instead of vulnerable to literally anyone who walks by. Just like I'm more private with only Intel backdooring me than I am with Intel, Microsoft, Adobe, Google, Facebook, etc. etc. backdooring me and/or collecting my data.
>>
>>51828326
>>51828364
>When it comes to consumer software, generally, the libre alternatives are inferior
Really? Because Emacs, Firefox, Krita, GIMP, VLC, gcc, SumatraPDF, LibreOffice, Scribble, and youtube-dl seem to be meeting all of my needs fine.
>>
>>51826864
>Why are there people on /g/ who insult others who care about privacy and freedom?
5. Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule. This is also known as the primary 'attack the messenger' ploy, though other methods qualify as variants of that approach. Associate opponents with unpopular titles such as 'kooks', 'right-wing', 'liberal', 'left-wing', 'terrorists', 'conspiracy buffs', 'radicals', 'militia', 'racists', 'religious fanatics', 'sexual deviates', and so forth. This makes others shrink from support out of fear of gaining the same label, and you avoid dealing with issues.

>>51827374
After Snowden, data retention is becoming the responsibility of the private sector.
As for the shills, I suspect they're not private sector.
See:Smith-Mundt reform act
>>
>>51828292
You're being logged.
>>
>>51828366
You already announce your IP, login, password and credit card info to whatever websites you submit that information to (any site you visit in the case of IP), regardless of browser or OS
>>
>>51828451
That's because you're settling for worse option to maintain the illusion of privacy

There are objectively superior options for many of those
>>
>>51828482
My point exactly

So why use some obscure libre software which is badly designed and lacking features when the end result is you don't have privacy either way?

>>51828445
So we're back to my original point which is you're choosing the wrong place to stand your ground

Go change the system so corrupt politicians aren't puppets for the big corporations so we can actually have regulations on what Google et al can get away with

Using firefox and debian wont accomplish this
>>
>>51828532
So you have a choice about what you choose to share and with whom. You know, the definition of privacy?
>>
>>51828326
>When it comes to consumer software, generally, the libre alternatives are inferior
I disagree. The best day-to-day software like browsers and media players are almost always free.
Only for specific work domains e.g. video editing do you have better proprietary software.
>>
Try voting. That'll fix it.
>>
>>51828532
Neither firefox nor debian are fully libre.
>>
>>51828292
If you really are a target, they can simply monitor your digital "fingerprint" and see what sites it visits, for one.

>>51828445
>I live in a neighborhood where everyone has a ladder and can get in, and willfully do nothing about it, but haha I'm still better than you stupid sheep!
The world of security is black and white, you're either secure or you're compromised. There IS no "in between", there is no "lower risk."

>>51828451
Your needs aren't everyone else's needs.
>>
>>51828482
>You already announce your IP, login, password and credit card info to whatever websites you submit that information to
Yeah no fucking shit. The point is that only those websites should have that information and noone else. There is a reason that sites like that run (or should run) with https.
>>
>>51828110
>>51828266
thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>51828594
confirmed for not knowing what you're talking about
>>
>>51828594
>If you really are a target, they can simply monitor your digital "fingerprint" and see what sites it visits, for one.
everyone is a target m8, that stuff is all automated
>>
>>51828674
Yeah, but I don't think they're tracking you based on that data yet, or are they?
>>
>>51828485
There isn't anything I want to do that the free alternatives don't solve, and the free alternatives are free as in beer, don't come with DRM, and are usually faster. Most people only need Word 2003, and some people prefer it because it doesn't have the ribbon and they like the old hot keys. There's no reason to upgrade. Firefox crashes more often than I like, but I enjoy the plugins too much to switch. SumatraPDF doesn't ask me to upgrade constantly like Adobe Reader; Sumatra is also less sluggish. There's nothing like Scribble that isn't also free. VLC plays videos and music files. I don't know of any proprietary version of youtube-dl. I don't do any work where the choice between compilers matter, so gcc is fine for me. I can edit images fine with GIMP. Krita is fun for drawing.

There's no reason to spend money and jump through DRM hoops or pirate software when there is freely available applications that meet all of my needs.
>>
>>51828594
>Your needs aren't everyone else's needs.
Except they nearly are. An Office Suite, Web Browser, and a way to open and view/listen to several types of files is all the majority of people need. LibreOffice, Firefox, VLC, and Sumatra cover all of that.
>>
>>51828594
>The world of security is black and white, you're either secure or you're compromised. There IS no "in between", there is no "lower risk."
The fuck? Unless you have developed a perfect system where there are zero vulnerabilities, it looks to me you are smoking the wrong stuff
>>
>>51828695
Of course they are. Sites like Google and Facebook live off building profiles for advertising purposes. Dynamic IP makes it so they need to recognize you again somehow based on things other than your IP address.
Normally they track you with cookies but that's easily blocked so they also use your user-agent, mouse movement, browsing patterns etc.
It's disgusting but probably pretty cool to work on.
>>
>>51828870
>Normally they track you with cookies but that's easily blocked so they also use your user-agent, mouse movement, browsing patterns etc.

Yet despite this I never see target ads that take anything more into account than the country of my IP.
>>
>>51828750
I find LO great for most use cases, I currently daily drive one of its predecessors, but the smoothness and feature set of MSO as well as of course its engrained presence in enterprise makes it superior for others.

It's all relative in the end.

>>51828805
Yeah, I should have proofread a little better before I posted that.

>>51828870
Definitely, I just meant specific automated monitoring based on browser fingerprints.
>>
The only way to have privacy in the digital age is to never use the internet. If you have a device hot don't want anyone seeing the contents of, don't connect it to the Internet
>>
>>51828074
>What you are trying to achieve needs to start at a governmental level.
>he thinks the government isn't made up of individuals

>It's the wrong place to stand your ground, nerds.
We're on a website discussing privacy and freedom online, how is that the wrong place you literal retard? If you have a peeping tom looking in your windows, you don't install uBlock to get rid of him. How are we supposed to protect our information online, by boarding up our windows?
>>
>>51828263
And thinking 0% policy, i.e. NOTHING to hide, is sane? In what civilized school of thought? Microsoft's? NSA?
>>
>>51829008
that typo implies that you're on a phone using a swyping keyboard.
>>
>>51828532
>Go change the system
Using firefox* and debian WILL change the system, whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, it's a slow process due to the massive amount of mouthbreathers like you fucking it up for the rest of us. Did the dawn of the internet not "change the system", as you put it? And if you have any doubts, just see how torrenting has effected mass media. Go ahead and pick up the can, if you want. I'll be over here doing everything I can to protect my personal data, not trying to fix the world.

*wish that part were still true
>>
>>51829342
correct
>>
>>51827390
Because the data some company or the government harvests on you could easily fall into the hands of people with more than enough reason to harm you if the security of the data harvester fails (and it's never perfect).
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.