[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello Anons, I finally hooked up my old VHS-player to digitalize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1937829891.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1937829891.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
Hello Anons,
I finally hooked up my old VHS-player to digitalize the old tapes, some of them look pretty rough... just found one from 86, jesus my dad can't handle his camcorder :^)
Everything is either too dark or sound distorted, but this issues could also come because of the age.
Do you have any suggestion what programms you can use to clear up visual and audio?

Not expecting a wonder, just a bit of improvement.

thanks in advance

>pic related, my player with woderful mono output
>>
there is something called a TBC that people use to help make it better, its hardware though and not sure if you're willing to invest.

What capture card are you using? What software?

I used to capture some stuff with a old Hauppauge capture card.
>>
To tell the truth i am only using one of those USB video digitalizers, nothing fancy itm.

Oi vay, you have to invest quite some shekels for the TBC with my quick research, maybe i'll try to get a used one and resell it after all the tapes are digital, but thx sofar.

Is it worth getting capturing cards or is there no difference to the usb hardware?

I just started with the process, and there are probably like >30 tapes ahead of me
>>
Fire an email to George Lucas and ask for some remastering tips.
>>
>>51825164
Go ask on MySpleen
>>
>>51825984

I would get a capture card, I've never used the USB ones but I would imagine they have a catch like encoding directly to MKV or some shit. I would want to capture to highest quality MPeg2 or some other larger format so I can edit it from higher quality then shrink it to lower instead of editing it and going from already low and highly compressed to another small and highly compressed format. Just guessing though, what USB device do you have?
>>
Anyone ever tried out a VHS-Service provider? If yes, any recommendations? Probably expensive as hell, but in the end cheaper and less time consuming than getting all the equipment and knowledge to get the best out of it
>>
>>51825164
Op if you want to do a good job then throw out the usb and get a proper internal card. Difference is night and day. Bit rate and file sizes will be very large before compression but that's up to you. But yeah usb converters are cheap shit
>>
>>51825164
>jesus my dad can't handle his camcorder :^)
You found a gonzo sex tape featuring your dad having sex with your mom? What the fuck mate.
>>
File: 1449955031824708359479.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
1449955031824708359479.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
On the subject of digitizing old shit, how should I digitize old reel to reel tapes?
>>
>>51827840
Line in. May possibly need a pre amp
>>
>>51827829
/b/
>>
>>51827871
That's what I'm doing currently, but the noise is horrible. Would a preamp help?

Does the quality of the recording hardware matter? As in, should I get a dedicated sound card for this?

I'm sure I'm doing more things wrong than right.
>>
VHS video quality degrades over time so you might not get better quality from your old tapes. Make sure you're capturing with the highest settings, preferably to a lossless format. You can look up to tutorials on how to clean a VHS player which might improve quality a bit.
>>
>>51827980
Yes if toy have the volume on the tape deck already at max and it still sounds garbage then you absolutely need a pre amp. Doesn't have to be an expensive one either
>>
I recorded a vhs tape into an avi file.
Now all the audio comes out of one speaker.
What do?
>>
>>51829525
Maybe it's mono sound
>>
>>51825164
I've found that certain brands of DVD Recorder actually contain a reasonably good TBC.
I used a Panasonic somethingarather, and it cleaned up the picture pretty good. Even to the extent that it cleaned up most of the 'Head Switching' noise from the bottom of the picture.

The only thing that will irk you about a DVD recorder is that the output will be MPEG2 compressed, although the 9mb/s highest quality setting is usually pretty good, and it does keep the interlacing properly (so you can recover the full 50/60fps motion later).
>>
>>51825164
>digitalize
The word you are looking for is "digitize"

You're welcome.
>>
>>51826316
One Christmas a couple years ago a Groupon came up for one of those services. We all bought one and split up the VHS-C that we had from growing up. For the Groupon cost (it was like $20-30 MAX) it was worth it. Had I paid full price, I'd still be raw about it. Over doing it myself if I HAD to do it, I'd find a service. This was just cheap and fun so we weren't too concerned about it. FYI - if the tape was good, hadn't been taped over too much, used decent lighting, etc, the output was pretty stellar. All the rest looked like crap and if you grew up in the 80's making VHS, most of them are probably like that.
>>
>>51827840
did you find the missing Nixon tapes?
>>
Vhs needs much more bigger bit rate then digital all artefacts look awfull on shitty. Bitrate
So maybe get old used internal
>>
>>51825984
>>51826315
I'm having the same problem. I bought myself one of those USB Encoders off Amazon for like $40. My problem is the recording looks fine but the file size for a 20min tape is coming out to be over 40GB.

I'd have to go into handbrake and transcode them or something.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.