[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: v69hHXj.jpg (67 KB, 650x624) Image search: [Google]
v69hHXj.jpg
67 KB, 650x624
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
or you can install linux alongside windows
>>
>>51822168
lol yuck. What's the point?
>>
File: 1260442668278.jpg (61 KB, 644x671) Image search: [Google]
1260442668278.jpg
61 KB, 644x671
>freetards shill massively for Linux
>some Anon might falls for the meme without realizing that you have to spend over 100 hours in Google learning the command line to use this "desktop OS"
>at the end there's just another Linux hater on /g/

>freetards just dig their own grave without realizing it.
>>
>>51822189
probably games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>51822265
ncie meme
>>
>>51822265
>I actually installed arch/gentoo my first distro rather than going with debian/mint
Not my problem you're retarded
>>
>>51822189
you dont need to reinstall windows after you want to get rid of linux from your HDD
>>
>>51822303
kek
>>
File: MeHOpuj.png (522 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
MeHOpuj.png
522 KB, 1366x768
>>
>>51822265
Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.
>>
>>51822295
I hope you realize your post is as bad as the one you're replying to
>>
>>51822265
I used CLI on Windows and Mac OS as well. That's kind of unrelated. If you're scared of the CLI you must just not know how to use a computer..

Also you can't "shill" for GNU/Linux, there's no company behind it.
>>
>>51822442
This guy is a dumbass spreading FUD that you need to spend 6 gorillion hours with the command line to use Linux when you never need to use it on Debian/Mint if you don't want to.
>>
x230 trackpoint guy here.

So I can change the files in /sys/devices/bla bla bla, any way to get them to save upon reboot?
>>
>>51822450
There are companies behind it.
>>
>>51822523
You can write a script to change the value and autostart it. Or if you're using startx, stick it in your xinitrc?
>>
>>51822557
Is there a command I can type into terminal that will override a single variable in a text file?

># echo -n 120 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed

Anything along those lines?, that particular one doesn't work.
>>
>>51822722
try

sudo bash -c 'echo...'
>>
>>51822722
Isn't what you're trying to do controlled by xorg config files?
>>
>>51822761

>sudo bash -c echo -n 250 > /sys/...
>bash: /sys,,,: Permission denied

:(
>>
>>51822775
Nah just seems to be a plain text file as far as I can tell. I'm new to this whole linux thing.
>>
>>51822865
I'm fairly sure that stuff in /sys is governed from other places, you should be able to create a xorg file to control your trackpad (or whatever it is you're doing). Generally /sys files are not manually edited, as you're finding.
>>
>>51822865
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X230#Touchpad
>>
>>51822850
Don't forget this ' '

The other anons are right, it's much cleaner to just edit or add a xorg config.
>>
So configuring ALSA is confusing as shit, and pulse doesn't recognize my headset. Should I try a different audio server, try to get pulse to work, or accept my fate in trying to set the default capture device in alsa?
>>
>>51822940
Tried with and without many types of " '.

Okay, I'll give that a shot.
>>
Is there any way to see which packages on Arch were compiled (so all AUR packages and any ones I installed using the ABS)?
Since Arch just did that thing with the C library I've had to recompile some of my packages, and I figure I should recompile any that use it just to be sure.
>>
>>51823125
emerge -e @world
>>
>>51823125
Read the news, seriously.
>>
>>51823125
#!/bin/bash

while read pkg; do
mapfile -t files < <(pacman -Qlq $pkg | grep -v /$)
grep -Fq libstdc++.so.6 "${files[@]}" <&- 2>/dev/null && echo $pkg
done < ...
>>
>>51823176
yeah just saw it in the news oops. thanks >>51823158
But when I run the script I get line 6: ...: No such file or directory
>>
>>51823232
Try to replace line 6 with
done < <(pacman -Qmq)
>>
>>51823125
pacman -Qm for aur? If you're using abs, you should add groups=('modified') to those packages so you can do pacman -Qg modified
>>
>>51822550
Not exactly. There's a company behind Red Hat. Not GNU/Linux. Ubuntu as well. I'm saying you can't make an apples to apples comparison with Mac OS and Windows, both of which DO have a company behind them. GNU/Linux is open and modular and there's not a company behind it.
>>
>>51823269
Thank you that worked

>>51823276
Welp now I know that one. I'll be doing that from now on thanks
>>
>>51823289
There are plenty of companies contributing to the kernel code and to funding of the kernel. Although I do agree, it can't really be compared to the others mentioned.
>>
>Recommended for beginners:
- *buntus
- openSUSE Leap 42
- KALI
- A
- L
- I
>>
>>51823328
top kek

I wonder how many stupid Americans pronounce it 'cali'
>>
>>51822945
Often alsa problems are just that the headset is muted. Write 'alsamixer' in the terminal and check if it's muted. Try to fix it with alsa first. Pulseaudio might work, but it requires lots of work
>>
>>51823362
Wait a minute, just for the record 'am not american, it's not pronounced as k-a-l-i?
>>
>>51823395
It's the Indian goddess, not short form with a funky K for California.

Kaali

rhymes with barley
>>
>>51823362
How do you pronounce it?
>>
>>51823382
I managed to configure alsa fine for my playback devices; it's my capture devices that are giving me issues.
>>
>>51823328
>- openSUSE Leap 42
It's pure trash, tried it few weeks ago after the official release.

Would not recommend.
>>
>>51823433
Probably cawli
>>
>>51823438
I might state the obvious, have you tried unmuting it?
>>
How can I memorize the octals used to set permissions?
>>
>>51823452
u wot m8

see
>>51823420
>>
Why people seem to hate elementary OS?
>>
>>51823452
>cawli
Holy shit its retarded. Cali as in California seems better.
>>
>>51823471
because it's shit and has money begging devs.
>>
>>51823458
That's easy, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_permissions_and_attributes

I might be drunk so excuse me
>>
>>51823471
Please donate to the eOS project. The developers are working hard to provide you the best beginners' Linux.
>>
>>51823455
I have. I can get it to work with a simple arecord command, but not in my asoundrc
>>
>>51823455
I once spent a lot of time on it and the solution was just to unmute. I don't know why alsa have that problem. It's not really obvious because the assumption is that it should not be muted on default
>>
>>51823494
I admit, they do have some sick icons
>>
>>51823485
It's a clusterfuck of text.
And doesn't answer my question of "How".

I asked if I need to memorize it the hard way?
>>
>>51823515
Yeah, I don't know why it's muted by default.
>>
>>51823525
Learn what they mean, memorize through practice or mnemonics, like anything else in the world.
>>
>>51823471
>greedy kike devs
>literally an old, outdated version of ubuntu with a new logog and a cheapass OS X theme ripoff
>>
>>51823525
File permissions is a big thing on linux, and imo missing on windows. It's not that hard to memorize it. 755 for executables and 644 for other files. I think I'm drunk don't take my word for it
>>
>>51822265
Linux can't be a desktop OS because all the window manager avalaible for Linux are terrible, slow and buggy.
>>
>>51823567
Hahahahahahahaahahahahah. VERY FUNNY
>>
>>51823567
>i3
>slow
>buggy
>>
>>51823525
>go to the bathroom
>spit behind your left arm once and right arm once
>3 deep breaths
>repeat "I am a huge faggot" 13 times while looking at your reflection in the mirror
Before you finish you should have it remembered
>>
>>51823567
>openbox
>slow
>buggy
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51823525
r is 4
w is 2
x is 1
first number (out of 3) is the owning user's permissions
second number is the owning group's permission
third number is everybody else's
ex. 750: 7(4+2+1) -> rwx for owning user, 5 (4+1) -> r-x for owning group, 0 (---) for everybody else
Here you go, now just read about setuid/setgid shit (first number with four number permissions) and you're all set
>>
>>51823567
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51823648
Man, rms is our spirit animal
>>
>>51823615
not him, but openbox is retarded.
>xml config
>you have to manually update the application menu
I mean lmao
>>
>>51823603
>Notice the word 'Friendly' in 'Friendly Linux Thread'.
I-I thought there are n-no bullies here :^(
>>
>>51823674
That's as friendly as linux gets t b h
>>
File: shut_up_stallman.jpg (330 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
shut_up_stallman.jpg
330 KB, 806x938
>>51823648
>>
>>51823671
>you have to manually update the application menu
umm wut
>>
>>51823626
Man, this pattern is tougher than my high school calculus.
>>
>>51823674
>>51823684
Go to reddit if you want a hug
>>
has anyone used linuxbrew?
>>
>>51823726
Too lazy to google that shit and also first time I've heard of it. Care to explain?
>>
>>51823740
looked it up, seems to be a port of homebrew (osx package manager full of foss) for linux
could be handy for some cases
>>
Is there any perfect clone of OS X DE?

>inb4 elementary OS
>>
>>51823671
it's not an application menu.. It's a menu with whatever you want in it. Filling it automatically would make no sense. It's not a start menu replacement.
>>
>>51823626
not him but wow your explanation is awesome.
>>
>>51823819
no, and that no extends to elementary and pear of course
>>
>>51823590
>>51823591
>>51823615
Everything build on top of X11 is objectively buggy and slow, therefore terrible.

X11 developpers themselves often admit it during talks at conventions.
X11 was never supposed to be used anyway. It's like a meme that went to far.

Wayland on the other hand might fix some of the issues with X11 but saddly it's still at a very early stage and miss a lot of features. Therefore it's terrible.

There is no need to be upset people. X11 is terrible. We all know it. You know it. Every single piece of software built on top of it tend to blink, flash, or display weird behavior. It's slow. X11 draw a lot of useless stuff that is not even displayed. Why draw only one frame when you can draw the same frame 120 times and return only one to the client ? Do you hate fun or something ?

It's objectively bad. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings.

But at least you can make your cute anime "custom" desktops and post them here. Linux is a niche desktop OS for people who are not bothered by performance.
Linux is not meant for Desktop. It never was and X11 is the greatest piece of software shit ever made.

t. RHCA certified
>>
>>51823843
I know wayland is better. It's gonna be a few years before it becomes the default though.
>>
File: conan_the_austrian.jpg (40 KB, 500x468) Image search: [Google]
conan_the_austrian.jpg
40 KB, 500x468
>>51823615
>it doesn't use a lot of RAM
>it's fast

Ahah, lol.
I wish people on that board were competent and qualified.
Like me.
>>
>>51823843
nicely meemed, familia.
>>
File: display.png (35 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
display.png
35 KB, 1280x800
>>51823697
>>51823826
Okay, give me a list of applications that would let me replace my xfce setup (pretty much stock, no fancy shit, just a single panel) with openbox.

I can swallow not having the possibility to plug in a secondary monitor.
>>
>>51823884
>It's gonna be a few years before it becomes the default though.
Scheduled as default display protocol in Fedora 24.
So like 5-6 months from now.
>>
>>51823674
Fuck off, ushifag.
>>
>>51823919
openbox + tint2 + nitrogen

openbox doesn't have a desktop so if you want the desktop icons then no clue what you'd do

the dock is probably an easy answer but I hate docks so I don't know of any to recommend

tint2 is a panel commonly used with openbox and nitrogen handles wallpapers
>>
>>51823919
look in a wiki
>>
>>51823939
Still unusable for me until my WM (or another acceptable one) supports it
>>
>>51823919
That bottom dock bothers me. Why can't you just move those icons to the top bar? I'm assuming you have the dock set so it reserves the space on the sides so it seems like a waste of vertical space. If it doesn't reserve the space that's fine but then applications can cover those icons when they're maximized.
>>
>>51824084
the dock is set to hide automatically in a situation when a windows (whether put on the bottom of the screen or maximized) would obscure it
>>
File: Rosanna Arquette.jpg (60 KB, 800x344) Image search: [Google]
Rosanna Arquette.jpg
60 KB, 800x344
working on conky here

whats the difference between pixelsize and size?

I have really hard time googling it out
>>
>>51823941
>ushifag
Thanks, my lexico just expanded.
>>
>>51824179
*lexicon
>>
Lately I've become more concerned with privacy and I want an OS that is open source so nobody can spy on me and violate muh freedoms. I'm willing to learn linux, but preferably something not too complicated, like Arch. Any recommendation? Are there any good C++ IDEs for linux?

Honestly, 90% of the reason I haven't switched to linux is because I can't get my mouse or trackpad to feel right and I couldn't find any software to fix that. Something feels completely different moving my mouse on windows vs linux
>>
>>51824306
any mainstream gnu/linux distribution will do.
hell even ubuntu, if you turn off the dubious amazon data collecting shit
>>
>>51822442
aaaaaaaaand here comes the dumb arch user
>>
>>51824306
That's because X11 is shit.
>>
>>51824444
Your quatro quatros pisses me off.

X for life, faggot.
>>
>>51824444
So X11 is what windows uses to control the mouse? Are there any distros that use it or is there a way to change to X11?
>>
>>51823692
Every time I see this, I wonder why we have to call Gentoo or Slackware or whatever that uses a Linux kernel a «distribution». Yes, it uses a Linux kernel and, probably, the GNU coreutils but Windows, which is called an operative system, also uses a kernel and something similar to the coreutils. OSX is on the same way, but distributions aren't different. Calling them GNU/Linux, GNU plus Linux or Linux is just a way to show how stupid you/they/we are. We are able to solve the pic related problem by calling them operative system, which they totally are.
>>
>>51824534
You can change mouse settings in linux quite easily, you generally need to add a config file, that's it. Like this >>51822907
>>
>>51824534
He's talking about xorg which has been a standard display server for gnu/linux for the last decade.

It's an aging piece of shit with layers upon layers upon layers upon layers of weird patches aimed to make it not shit itself every 5 minutes.

It's a very insecure piece of software and the community has been working on a better alternative for quite some time.

2016 will probably be a great breakthrough since fedora is scheduled to use wayland as default display protocol in F24.
If Fedora manages to get their shit together, all distros will follow, sooner or later.

It will take some time since to call Wayland a success RHEL/CentOS have to adopt it as default.
And that's gonna take some time.
>>
>>51824494
X is a piece of shit that relied on duct tape hacks for years, I can't wait till wayland replaces it for good.
>>
>>51824618
If you want something good, then donate to the developers instead of complaining, faggot.
>>
File: keyboard-layout.png (6 KB, 560x182) Image search: [Google]
keyboard-layout.png
6 KB, 560x182
would this work if i were able to change what function keys do in a distrobution of GNU + Linux
>>
>>51824641
You can say that if we had an alternative, Almost all linux distros are stuck with X, wayland isn't ready yet. You might be OK with eating shit from your hands, I'm not.
>>
Lots of samefagging all of a sudden
>>
>>51824685
So, you CLI?
>>
>>51824684
you can map keys however you like
>>
>>51823692

god damn I love linus bantz
>>
>>51824706
No, I still use X. It's a pain in the ass, but if I want to use anything graphical, I don't have a choice in the matter.
>>
>>51824739
You can use Windows.
>>
>>51824756
No, how much Stockholm Syndrome must you have to you refuse to let anyone criticize fucking Xorg?
>>
>>51824721
like binding F1 to do something else than the original F1 does?
>>
File: 1423201493563.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1632) Image search: [Google]
1423201493563.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1632
So, I've been using Elementary OS as my first Linux for a few weeks now. Heres my opinion.

This OS is amazing. Imo, its much better and easier for normal people than Windows 10 or 8. The system is fast, things are clear. I'd recommend it for anyone who doesn't know what an operating system is. However, if you know a bit about computers (maybe you built your own), you'll find a lot of problems coming from Windows.

As soon as you try to do anything that isn't too basic, problems start to appear. For some reason, changing the language didn't make the "ç" work with a US International keyboard, and I had to edit a random file to make it work. Ok, no problem. Then, I tried to configure my mouse. Razer has no official drivers for Linux, so I just downloaded a configuration tool I found on the Internet. After taking a long time to make it work, I can use the same settings I use on Windows 7, except I cannot use the extra side buttons without another program and it changes to the default configuration for frequency/DPI every time I reboot.

I speak Japanese and I wanted to type in Japanese. Changing the system language or the keyboard language to Japanese doesn't work. I wanted something like Google IME, but it isn't available on Linux. I tried to add the Mozc keyboard and probably fucked up at some point, because it isn't working. Also, after trying to install it and failing, the "ç" doesn't work for some time when I start the computer.
>>
>>51824765
Not always, sometimes things are hard wired switches, like wifi for example.
>>
>>51824765
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmodmap

I should mention that it won't work in the console, but modyfying keys in the console is a bad idea anyways
>>
>>51824786
>turk weeb
Lmao
>>
File: gokujou_seitokai_06.jpg (363 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
gokujou_seitokai_06.jpg
363 KB, 1600x1200
Continuing from >>51824786

I installed Bomi Player to watch anime. Unfortunately, the truth is that the best quality for video is still with MadVR. Bomi also decides to ignore my hotkeys from time to time. I basically boot on Windows 7 every time I want to watch anime because I can achieve bit perfect audio and perfect rescalling just by installing KCP, clicking "Next, Next, Next" and its done: I have MadVR with the best quality possible, LAV Splitters already configured, high resolution subs and bit perfect audio. I've read just a bit about bit perfect audio on Linux and it looks really complicated to get it working.

Oh, my system didn't recognize my Asus Xonar DG card at the beginning. I had to install a random program that could detect my card because the system wouldn't do it.

Music reproduction is usable. The default player of Elementary OS is very direct and looks good. However, it has a known bug that for some users it doesn't save your play lists after you close it. That was a deal breaker for me, so I had to install other players. I've even asked for recommendations in other FLTs. They work, but they don't fit nice on the OS like Elementary's player.

TL;DR Linux today is a very good experience for people who can't into computers. However, it can be very frustrating when something doesn't work.
>>
>>51824786
>I had to edit a random file to make it work
I stopped reading there, you're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>51822130
Stop recommending openSUSE, after Leap it's seriously broken.
>>
>>51824786
>I speak Japanese and I wanted to type in Japanese.

Back to /a/ faggot
>>
>>51824813
why are you posting this? We don't really care.
Oh yeah I see, you're the daily elementary shill.
>>
>>51824813
>They work, but they don't fit nice on the OS like Elementary's player.
the fuck are you even on about? Makes no sense.
>>
>>51824786
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Common_Input_Method
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthy
>>
File: muskateers.png (442 KB, 1254x903) Image search: [Google]
muskateers.png
442 KB, 1254x903
I'm running Mint Cinnamon 17.3, everything is fully updated.
When I go to mouse & trackpad settings, there's an option to show the position of the cursor when CTRL is pressed. This is very handy.
However, when this option is turned on, I cannot CTRL+TAB between tabs in the file explorer. Eclipse and Firefox work fine.
Is there a way I can have both?
>>
>>51824813
>Unfortunately, the truth is that the best quality for video is still with MadVR.
You are a complete moron and have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>51824786
>elementary
You fucked up.
Mozc literally is the google IME btw and it's piss easy to install on Ubuntu. Probably an elementary problem.
>>
>>51822265
Is that Michelle Tractorberg?
>>
>>51824786
>>51824813
bruh fuck off, noone cares
>>
>>51824812
what the fuck is turk

>>51824816
https://askubuntu.com/questions/59663/how-to-type-%C3%A7-when-using-usa-intl-as-the-keyboard-layout

The third answer what the one that worked for me.

>>51824824
anime is never offtopic

>>51824830
I'm literally saying the system doesn't do well depending on your necessities, how am I a shill?

>>51824846
I'm talking about aesthetics, anything wrong with that? People on Desktop threads spend days because of it.

>>51824862
ok

>>51824863
I see. I'll look into that and report to them. Still I feel like the problem was that I must've fucked up something while installing it

>>51824923
Someone who reads this thread and is thinking about installing Linux might care.
>>
>>51824960
>The third answer what the one that worked for me.
>/etc/environment
>random file
moron
>>
>>51824960
>I'm talking about aesthetics, anything wrong with that? People on Desktop threads spend days because of it.
What you wrote makes no sense.
>>
>going through the code academy command line tutorial in the OP
>there are fucking achievements

jesus christ
>>
>>51824995
Can you read? He said he is Japanese.
>>
>>51824960
http://moritzmolch.com/1453
Here's a good guide on how to install anthy and mozc on Ubuntu. Last time I used elementary it used the same settings dialogs (they're taken directly from gnome).
>>
>>51824998
Just read a book faggot. Why do you have to be so edgy about it?
>>
>>51825003
Oh, I forgot we excuse illiterate shills if they are Japanese.
>>
>>51822353
>Mail Reader
>Read your e-mail

No fucking shit, these retarded space wasting UX nightmares are why nobody uses xfce
>>
>>51824982
I've never used Linux before, it sure is a random system file for me.

>>51824995
Then I'll write it again. The default player looks good on the system, but it can't remember my play lists. The other ones work well, but they obviously don't look as good as the default player. Since I do want them to look good, this was a problem for me.

>>51825005
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>51825043
>I've never used Linux before, it sure is a random system file for me.
That doesn't make it random, it means you're ignorant.

>>51825043
>Then I'll write it again.
Still makes no sense. Why don't they look good? Any gtk program will look and fit in the same as any other gtk program. Or did you install a qt program and wonder why it looks different?

Why even bother writing such bullshit if you have no idea what you're talking about? Who the fuck cares what some noob who edits "random files" thinks of a distro? We could have told you elementary is a pile of shit. There is a reason knowledgeable people review things normally.
>>
>>51825027
that's not the usual xfce menu
>>
>>51823671

pretty much, i3 on the other hand is pretty much mustard gas...
>>
>>51825079
>Friendly Linux Thread
>>
>>51825107
Go to reddit if you want a hug. This is 4chan, not getting called a nigga faggit is friendly.
>>
>>51825079
Not him, but I think your comprehension is bad.
>>
>>51825121
That's nice dear
>>
>>51825101
Why do you have to use trip codes in this thread?
>>
>>51822130
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?
That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.
>>
>>51825149
>companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening,
It is happening.
>>
>>51825149
How high are you?

Not kidding, I have not seen any more stupid faggot than you on /g/.

Please go to r/4chan for these kinds of things.
>>
>>51825167
>>51825189
>replying to pasta
>>
I've got a Vulcan Journey tablet with 1 GB ram and a 1.33 GHz processor, currently running Win10. My mom gave it to me because she couldn't figure out how to use it and prefers her iPad. I'm considering installing Linux on it, but I'm unsure if it's going to run well enough to be worth it. Is there any distro right now that works well for a touch-only interface? Ubuntu looks like it might be alright.
>>
>>51825167
>>51825189
hello newniggers
How's reddit
>>
File: breath.jpg (15 KB, 235x195) Image search: [Google]
breath.jpg
15 KB, 235x195
Hey, I installed Fedora 23 with Cinnamon Desktop to a friend's laptop.

Now it freezes after an hour or two and cycles the fan loudly until he shuts it down and restarts.

It used to do this when he closed the laptop but I set it to "do nothing" and it still locks but now it doesn't crash.

He doesn't have anything by Nvidia, we're at a loss as to why his laptop is so hateful.

I gave him a netinstall live USB and told him to back his shit up and just do a netinstall; I'm hoping that helps.
>>
>>51825362
epic
>>
>>51825262
Don't do it. You'll fuck up. I don't think Linux has drivers for chink shits.
>>
>>51825376
Who told you to go "muh bleeding edge"?

Why can't you stick to Debian stable and make your life easier?
>>
Probably asked a million times, but in a linux environment, what should I learn that will maximize my earnings potential? I know a little bit of C, Ruby, and Python - mostly from some basic to intermediate tutorials, and I am fairly comfortable with using the terminal, but I really just want to maximize my income (say at least 6 figures as soon as possible). It doesn't have to be programming, anything linux related will do.
>>
This bullshit needs to be illegal placing shit programs in with otherwise.good software is wrong
>>
>>51825595
>I know a little bit of C, Ruby, and Python
Pick one and go more in-depth with it.
>>
File: hurt.jpg (143 KB, 903x1019) Image search: [Google]
hurt.jpg
143 KB, 903x1019
>>51825589
I just prefer Fedora. Honestly, for my purposes, it doesn't make that big a difference; I just find Fedora easier to use.

Do you have any actual advantages to Debian to state?
>>
>>51823648
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Catto, is in fact, GNU/Catto, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Catto. Catto is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Catto, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Catto, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Catto is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Catto is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Catto added, or GNU/Catto. All the so-called Catto distributions are really distributions of GNU/Catto.
>>
Too many distros are the same.

I want something to dualboot. Functional and easy too use. I'm not afraid of the Terminal, but I'd prefer not to use it too often.

OpenSuse, Fedora, Ubuntu?
What DE? Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE, XFCE?

I don't really see much difference.
>>
>>51825787
All the distros are functionally the same but there are some subtle differences between them. You should probably just go with ubuntu if you're not sure.
>>
>>51825689
Thanks, how profitable would it be to learn Python for networking (like learning the Twisted, Tornado, Scrapy, etc...)
>>
>>51825733
Deb is superior than rpm.
>>
File: airlines.jpg (155 KB, 850x1003) Image search: [Google]
airlines.jpg
155 KB, 850x1003
Should I install Arch Linux or Gentoo?

At the moment I'm running Fedora 23, and I'm having no problems with it but I've heard a kit if Arch/Gentoo shilling here and I'm curious as to what the advantages are.
>>
File: 1397623848890.png (81 KB, 1200x1099) Image search: [Google]
1397623848890.png
81 KB, 1200x1099
>>51826046
Arch
>>
>>51826046
>love live
might as well install biebian family
>>
I am thinking of switching from cinnamon to something else because I think I have some incompatible software. Wondering if anyone got past this

>wayland installed
>vmware in full screen
>nvidia card
>use anything that activates vmtools (ie copy/paste)
>switch workspace before shutting down vm

nothing in the log except complains about avahi

everything good in gnome 3 and gnome flashback. True be told though I'll probably move back to KDE.
>>
>>51825787
>I'm not afraid of the Terminal, but I'd prefer not to use it too often.
ubuntu or ubuntu gnome.

I use fedora myself but if you want something that will "just work" and you have no preferences towards either of them, it might be the better choice
>>
>>51825787
>not liking the terminal, unless you've got an icon for a particular program on your desktop then hitting a key to get a drop down terminal and typing in the name of the programand hitting enter is faster than launching it with a mouse. that is of course assuming touch typing and a decent speed
>>
>>51825787
Honestly, as someone who used Linux in the past for a while (Ubuntu for like a year before 11.04) but dropped it, I think you should try to go for something "hard" or different as opposed to something that tries to be a Windows/Mac alternative.

Otherwise, if you stick to the easy stuff, you might just find yourself saying, "Why the hell am I using this instead of Windows?" That's especially true for dualbooters.

Getting your feet wet with something more difficult makes the benefits and uses of Linux more obvious than going the easy road.
>>
>>51826608
>>51826534
>>51826480
>>51825871
thanks for the suggestions. i will look into all of those
>>
sup /g/
how i make the Applications menu open when press the Windows (Super) key on gnome-session-fallback DE?
>>
>>51826046
>I'm having no problems
If you have no problems and you don't know why you would want to change distros then don't change distros.
>>
>>51826046
i you really have no problems just stay with fedora, its a nice distro
otherwise, take arch if you have time
or debian
>>
I've been working on this for a while. How do these song choices look? Working on order right now:

https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript/blob/master/tunes.sh

Also planing to change my secure trip
>>
>>51827782
They look fucking terrible to be quite honest.
>>
>>51827827
How would you recommend changing them?

(Did that new trip work?)
>>
>>51822265
>some Anon might falls for the meme without realizing that you have to spend over 100 hours in Google learning the command line to use this "desktop OS"
Maybe if you're retarded.
>>
>>51827827
stfu morpheus
>>
>>51827865
Don fucking Mclean? What are you even doing with them? I really don't know what you expect to me to say.
>>
>>51827874
The man you're replying to is not Morpheus. I am Morpheus.
>>
what would be a decent light distro to learn the command line, install a torrent client like transmission to manage from phone or other pcs on same network, maybe setup a samba share and maybe also a small webserver to try stuff?

I'll probably use a Celeron N3050 Intel NUC for this, I want it to be as small as it gets and headless to leave it next to my router.
>>
Think I figured out the trip

>>51827894
What's wrong with American Pie by Don McClean?

Just to note that the user might not hear the majority of these songs anyway. I don't know how good of an internet connection, or how fast of a cpu, these users have. It could finish in 4 hours. It could finish in 5 minutes. The playlist is overly long just in case of the people having to really spend a long time on it.
>>
>>51828034
Wait for the UP. Pi sized intel board
>>
>>51828067
>What's wrong with American Pie by Don McClean?
Go and post your list on /mu/, they'll give you plenty of reasons.
>>
>>51828108
Well, what would ''you'' replace it with? I personally like ''American Pie'' by Don McClean, but I'm not making it for me. I'm making it for the user.

Does everyone agree with this user in removing ''American Pie''?

I just need to replace it with something.
>>
>decide to try mint in a vm
>now it's basically booting windows and then starting the vm in fullscreen
cool
>>
>>51828154
I guess cripplechan post formating doesn't work here
>>
>>51828154
It's not about American Pie, they're all awful. You have bizarre and terrible taste in music. Post on /mu/, you choosing songs has nothing to do with linux or us.
>>
How to download threads on Linux (Manjaro)?
I used to use YChan on Windows but it doesn't work on Linux.
8ch compatability would be great too.
>>
>>51828154
Hey
hey
heyyy dude

you script sucks nigger ass

t. script pro
>>
>>51828108
>/mu/
literally 5th cancer after /a/, /b/ - /v/, /pol/
>>
>>51828241
I agree, that's why he will fit in so well.
>>
>>51828191
I bet /mu/ also shits on Soviet-era patriotic songs
>>
File: 1441240334381.gif (3 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1441240334381.gif
3 MB, 250x187
Any reason on why shouldn't I use Lubuntu on a perfectly good and new machine? Honest question.
>>
>>51828221
Just use DownThemAll.
>>
>>51828279
Lubuntu is targeted at low-resources machine.
>>
>>51828221
wget
>>
>>51828279
Lubuntu is willing to make cuts in functionality and ease of use to ensure it runs smoothly. If you've got the capability, just go with xubuntu.
>>
>>>/mu/60988805

Made the thread. Anyone wanting to contribute can go there.
>>
>>51828279
No, it's fine if you like it.
>>
>>51828279
Yeah, you'll miss on quite a lot of features of any other DE out there (like XFCE or MATE) without the benefits.

Besides Lubuntu is quite slow compared to somethinglike Debian + LXDE or even Fedora + LXDE.
I have no fucking idea how canonical manages to make their spinoffs so sluggish
>>
>>51828316
What would I type for this thread as an example to download it and images? Prefrably keeping format and that for offline.
>>
>>51828368
you would go in to a terminal, type 'man wget' and read it.
>>
>>51828368
just type shift+f2 in firefox and type screenshot --fullpage
>>
>>51828322
music should be under a copyleft license.
>>
>>51828748
Indeed, not illegally downloading them.
>>
What's the best way for me to install Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Should I install one before the other? Also I was thinking of picking up a cheap ssd to put Ubuntu on. I would really be using this for my universitys programing courses and to learn Linux. I don't think I'm ready to make a full switch yet.

Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>51828891
Install Windows first then go Ubuntu.
>>
>>51828891
install windows, shrink partition, install *buntu
>>
File: 12241615.jpg (36 KB, 540x756) Image search: [Google]
12241615.jpg
36 KB, 540x756
Newfag here, I'm going for
-Compiz for wm
-Slingshot/gnome-do for application launcher
-Hsetroot for wallpaper manager
-Looking for a panel a power and a session manager

What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>51829159
if you fuck it up or become frustrated just use something more common.
>>
>>51829200
Can you suggest me something that has nice window effects. I'm a sucker for aesthetics.
>>
>>51829277
ask in a desktop thread. i don't really care for these things so i guess i won't be of any help. i use XFCE with compton
>>
The dispatcher is part of the kernel, correct?
>>
>>51829471
mum get the camera lelelelelele
>>
>>51828154
Hey are you the autist who has a pony as his profile picture on github?
>>
In the end, linux doesn't do anything that I can't do on windows for my use cases.
In fact, it does less things I need for my use cases.

I'd switch to it permanently if it had some awesome advantage that made it worth it to abandon half of my content creation software. But as it stands now, it's simply a usable OS.

If I ever need to do a job that requires me to have a licensed OS, I'd rather buy the cheapest copy of W7 from the bargain bin than install linux. It was pretty underwhelming for me, especially in how it babied me harder than windows ever did.
>>
>>51823420
What the fuck? How in the shit does Kaali rhyme with Barley?
>>
>>51829599
nice blog.
>>
>>51829631
kah-lee
barh-lee
>>
>>51829540
It's by a pony artist but it's a fursona first and an OC second.

Why is it so bad to be a furry? The maker of Pale Moon is a furry and you all love his web bowser without hesitation.
>>
>>51829667
i don't like palememe.
also i have no problem with grown up people liking a show for little girls but why would you show everyone that you love it?
>>
>>51829667
Pale moon is shit, in fact. I didn't know the maker was a furfag, but now it makes sense.
A furfag has never made anything that isn't shit.
>>
File: 1444583335694.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
1444583335694.gif
2 MB, 400x286
>>51829667
>ponyfag
>debianfag
>skid
>furnigger apologist
>tripcunt
>with a secure trip
To the filter you go.
>>
why should I use Linux when it doesn't support the games I play
>>
Should I be using systemd-boot or grub in a UEFI system that's dual booting Arch and Windows?
>>
>>51829725
>hating on debian users
elaborate
>>
>>51829667
Tbh i kinda hoped you would at least deny it, but i see its much worse.
>>
>>51829746
Don't play games for pussies like LOL.
>>
>>51829667
>Why is it so bad to be a furry?
Because you fucks love to tell everyone in the entire world about how furry you are. It's like you have some kind of contest going to see who can be the most furry in the most places where being furry is completely fucking irrelevant.
Same reason vegans, niggers, gays, and girls on the internet are cancer.

Just kill yourself or keep your shitty fetishes where they're relevant.
>>
>>51829746
if gaming is not the only thing you do just dual-boot and see for yourself. take a few days to get into it and you will understand.
>>
File: 1437958505958.png (226 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1437958505958.png
226 KB, 620x670
>>51829746
so you can finally grow the fuck up and stop being a manchild
>>
Is it worth doing LFS ?
>>
>>51829694
I'm not trying to be in anyone's face about it. I just put the pic as my avatar.

>>51829725
I only Tripcode when posting something about the script

>>51829746
Because it is Free as in Freedom(tm). Also, it probably actually does, or has equivalents. Also, games aren't the most important hing in the world, you know

>>51829761
Why?

>>51829712
I never personally used it. I just knew it was a popular and frequently recommended fork.

>>51829774
>Because you fucks love to tell everyone in the entire world about how furry you are.

I do not. I just make mentions to it sometimes
>>
>>51829746
You shouldn't.
Linux is a joke OS if you're a desktop user.
Only use it if you need to set up a server or if you're a system administrator.

It's a toy OS and most people using it admit it. Look at the desktop threads, they spend hours making their desktop environments look like a tablet interface, and thus unusable for anything productive.
But at least they're honest with what their OS is. Install linux on your desktop only if you want to turn it into a glorified tablet that can't run non-trivial games or production software.

Otherwise, steer clear.
>>
>>51829772
>>51829796
i thought this was a friendly linux thread
go away
>>51829777
i browse the internet a lot but windows does that just fine
>>51829801
there are no equivalents on linux for my games
>>51829807
thanks anon
>>
>>51829801
>responding to every post
Kill yourself, attention whore.

>I only Tripcode when posting something about the script
Like right now? Oh wait.
Fuck off.
>>
Might be a bit unrelated, but does anybody know why the whole Calligra suit was removed from Debian testing? I've been wanting to install Krita to test it out and it's never on synaptic.
>>
>>51829599
+1'd
>>
>>51829828
What games are you trying to play?

>>51829836
I was using a tripcode for its appropriate purpose, responding to a discussion. Now that the discussion is over, I stopped using it.
>>
>>51829801
You know noone will take your script seriously if you post it as a fucking ponyfag ponysona.
>>
>>51829828
>browse the internet
what i like about browsing the web on XFCE is that i can just make windows stay on top of everything (videos in MPV) and lurk while watching it. the desktop experience is much more pleasant imo.
>>
>>51829807
Unlike Windows, Linux does not try to force tablet-shit on you.
That's really one of the weirdest reasons I've ever heard against Linux.
>>
>>51829828
No one is friendly when you're not plaing real man's game (dota) and playing it's manchild counterpart (LOL).
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.