[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no reason to have a cd / dvd drive in 2015.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 12
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 225x225
There is no reason to have a cd / dvd drive in 2015.
>>
File: 1439331999835.png (592 KB, 876x882) Image search: [Google]
1439331999835.png
592 KB, 876x882
>>51821054
>I have no use for CD/DVD drive in 2015, so you shouldn't use it.
>>
i use a cd drive to make lossless copies of my cds.
>>
But then how would I burn the ISOs on my CDs to play on my PSone?
>>
>>51821054
Maybe not in the PC itself... but I still have and use a usb dvd drive that mostly sits in my drawer just in case some older person wants me to burn them video or music for playback in their car or DVD player.
>>
I rip and burn BDs.
>>
>>51821087
Why not just use an emulator? Even a toaster can perfectly emulate any PS1 game at higher resolution.
>>
I keep a removable drive around, usually just for burning DVD movies for the kids, and even then it's been a while
>>
>>51821109

But muh nostalgia
>>
>>51821131
More like muh controllers.
>>
>>51821054
Ok
>>
>>51821054
Waste of a sata port.
>>
TrueCrypt requires me to burn a recovery disk.

Won't encrypt my drive without it.
>>
finally somebody is taking a stand against cd and dvd drives.

it's about time somebody knocked them down a peg.
>>
>>51821054
I know, and thats why i have a terrabyte where my optical drive used to be in my laptop.
For the special case you need an optical drive, just use a good external one.

Mfw coworkers couldn't open up my dvd drive (it's a long-running prank)
>>
failure of all other removable boot media
>>
>>51821054
good thing that i'm still allowed to use a blu ray drive :-D
>>
>want to install game that you only have on DVD
>cant because no DVD drive because you're a minimal hipster retard
>>
>>51821054

Blu-rays are the best low-end cold storage backup option in existence.
>>
There is no reason to have any physical media in 2015.
>>
>>51821086
>having other CDs
>>
>>51822071

I just had a 3TB hard drive full of TV shows fail last month. It was a complete and total disaster...

...or it would have been, if I didn't have a Blu-ray backup scheme in place. I was able to recover 80% of it.

And before you say it, fuck your RAID, it's not a backup, it's not impervious to failure, and it's god damn expensive to boot.
>>
>>51821086
This. I only use mine now to rip my CDs but I'd always have one. Can't see it anyway as my case has a door. (R4).
>>
I still install my OS from a DVD. I also use Live CD's for stuff like antivirus scans. Other than that, I sort of agree. No media specifically meant for the PC comes on a disc anymore.

Games? Nope.
Movies? Just pirate them, goy.
Music? ^
>>
>>51822100
Have fun redownloading all those TV shows in x265 in a couple of years.
>>
>>51821054
my cars stereo only plays cds and mp3 cds.
>>
>>51822173
>>51821054
btw i have an old usb dvd burner drive that i use on all my computers since i stopped bothering like you said op.
>>
>>51822164
cant he just re encode shit?
>>
>How to tell if they use their computer for work or just for games and anime;
>Do they have an optical drive?

If you do any form of work where you have to interact with someone else then a CD drive is necessary. Customers are going to come to you with files on CD.
>>
I feel obligated to mention that you can easily have your cake and eat it too, with regards to all these legacy peripherals. All you have to do is diversify. Don't have one computer, have two or three.

Have one beefy-ass server running headless in your closet or laundry room or basement. Have it stacked with hard drives, and use it for your media serving, use it for frontline archiving, and, yes, use it to manage optical media.

After you do that, you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want with the rest of your home network. When you remove requirements for things like hard drive space/removable hard drives and 5.25" bays, smaller, more barebones computers become a lot more viable. All-in-ones become a good option, especially if you double down on diversification and also stick a custom Windows-based Steam machine in your living room underneath your TV.

>>51822164

Like I give a shit. x264 is just fine for a whole lot of things. Besides, I'm hedging against a future where filesharing gets fucked sideways by aggressive international IP treaties, which would kind of render your point moot.

>>51822173

Get one of those Bluetooth FM transmitters. Any car with a radio can pick that shit up. They plug into your car's power outlet, and a decent one costs like $35.
>>
>>51822100
RAID is great solution for hardware failures, and would've saved you a ton of time re-ripping those blu rays. You'll still want to do incremental backups to a separate drive every now and then for things like data corruption, but in terms of covering yourself for hardware failures, RAID is where it's at. And it is no way too expensive. I paid $45 bucks each for the 2 WD Blues in my RAID array.
>>
You can get them for 20 bucks, there's really no excuse not to. When I made my new build I just popped the one out of my old case anyway.
>>
>>51822221
If he wants further quality degradation and/or to be stuck on 1080p, sure.
>>
>>51822257

RAID is not a backup. Only backups are backups.

And it scales poorly. It's as though every GB you buy is double the price, and that's not where it ends. Beyond about 6 drives, you start to restrict your potential choices of case, and then your choices of motherboard, and then you eventually need extra SATA or RAID cards. Eventually, as your RAID setup scales, you need an entire extra computer to fill with drives,, and you need it twice as soon as you would with JBOD.

Blu-ray, on the other hand, is about $100 for a drive, and then ~$0.02-0.04 per GB. No need for any extra hardware beyond that. Great scalability.
>>
File: 1434206689156.jpg (37 KB, 600x630) Image search: [Google]
1434206689156.jpg
37 KB, 600x630
>>51822071
There is no reason to live in 2015
>>
>>51822071
how are u suppose to run a computer without an physical media?
>>
>>51821054
I do, and the drive is just like, 13-15 € for a brand new LG.

Have still a shit ton of stuff on optical, home videos and pics with ex gfs included.

So, yeah still a valid tech. I got a new PC now, a week old, and for the first time i did not put a floppy drive.

I'm kinda sad but the progress, ok.
>>
>>51822253
>Get one of those Bluetooth FM transmitters
>they sound like shit
>just another reason for a nigger to break into car
>not as intuitive as using car stereos controls
>>
>>51821054
haven't had or use one since 2011
my case doesn't even have a place to put a CD/DVD reader.
>>
>>51822395

They don't have to sound like shit. I have one that's pretty good, or at least as good as anything's going to sound coming out of a 15-year-old car stereo. Niggers don't want your fucking $30 tchotchkes, and controlling your phone while driving is, among other things, what smartwatches are great for.
>>
File: 1449398494637.jpg (454 KB, 1080x1620) Image search: [Google]
1449398494637.jpg
454 KB, 1080x1620
>>51822306
>Beyond about 6 drives, you start to restrict your potential choices of case
What the fuck are you talking about?
A single rackmount can fit like 20 fucking drives. You shouldn't ever need a new case.

>Eventually, as your RAID setup scales, you need an entire extra computer to fill with drives
WHAT
>entire extra computer
lmao

learn how to build a proper raid.
>>
>>51822071
Get a load of this fucking edge lord.
>>
>>51822483
Get a load of this delusional moron.
>>
>>51822071
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>51822472

Yeah, if you have a rack-and-blade setup. How much does that hardware, aside from the drives themselves, cost? And, again, when you do redundant RAID, every GB effectively costs twice as much.

A Blu-ray drive is something you can go down to the local electronics store and buy off the shelf for $100. It's more cost-effective, more foolproof, and simpler in every way, and it accomplishes almost exactly the same thing.
>>
>>51822517

<cont'd> Cold storage has merit. Even Facebook does it. They literally back things up to Blu-ray to preserve them long-term and avoid having to store them online.
>>
I only have it since it still works. If it breaks I won't buy another one.
>>
>>51822460
or just use my stereo since your idea is a waste of money
>using a wrist mounted device while driving is easier than stereo
>>
Sure there is. I buy, rip, and then encode blurays all the time. Not to mention making disc backups of drivers for motherboards etc.

1.2TB out of my 1.6TB worth of anime/movies is from shit I ripped and encoded myself.

Dont burn discs nearly as often though. Bought a case of CDs like 1 year agom used 3. 2 useable because I fucked up the first one.
>>
>>51822579

Use your stereo, and be stuck with CDs. Boy, that sounds like a hoot.

And the watch isn't easier than your stereo, it's just easier than using your phone, and it's good for other things too. In fact, if you don't want a watch, you could just dash-mount your fucking phone.

And here I thought you fags were supposed to be problem-solvers.
>>
>>51822071
>Give us control of all your data
>we swear we don't profit from this :^)
>under no circumstances will a future dystopian trump/hillary america deem some of your data illegal :^)
>and we're secure, really. our storage is based on windows and debian, which never, ever fall victim to the latest exploits because old is secure and so is proprietary!
>-Corporate Amerikek
>>
>>51822633
or i could just burn a cd every couple of weeks. using a touchscreen phone while driving is an accident or ticket waiting to happen.
>>
>>51822745
>using a touchscreen phone while driving is an accident or ticket waiting to happen.

A) Not if you have car mode. Makes the buttons huge. Also, mount somewhere you can reach it and see the road.

B) Then how do you explain the countless 5-6" in-dash LCD touchscreen infotainment systems? The Tesla Model S has one that's fucking 12+", for fuck's sake, and it's the primary means of interacting with the car.

Again, I thought this was the technology board, not the scratch-on-a-cave-wall-because-the-printing-press-is-too-overengineered board.
>>
>>51821054
that's why i have a BD drive
>>
File: lg-hit-ggwh10n.jpg (14 KB, 468x171) Image search: [Google]
lg-hit-ggwh10n.jpg
14 KB, 468x171
>>51822805
>2015
>not having an hddvd drive
>>
>>51822797
A) still need that gay ass holder and lame bluetooth to FM transmitter shit
B) i never thought those were a great idea ever. only reason companies are adopting touchscreens is cause its easier than developing hardware control layouts these days
>>
>>51821054
I installed my OS via USB flash drive, now I have no reason to go back.
>>
>>51821054
How then will I burn PlayStation games, huh faggot?
>>
>>51822878

Whatever, Ug. Enjoy your cave wall.
>>
There's no need to have an NES either but i still do and I still play it.
>>
File: 5.jpg (57 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
57 KB, 555x555
There is no reason to use paper books in 2016.
>>
>>51822306
This is bait right? I never stated RAID was a backup. I only stated that it's a good solution to save yourself from hardware failures. In my post, which you obviously didn't read, I even stated that you still want to do incremental backups onto a separate drive.
>>
>>51822536
So you'd rather spend $100 on a blu-ray drive and not $45 on another HDD? You make no sense anon, you are contradicting your own argument.
>>
i have a dvd drive for pirating xbox 360 games
>>
>>51821168
more like no lag generated by using emulators.
>>
>>51822043
They are also included in google's disaster recovery driver for the main system of google. They also have 900gig size blueray design. Simply functions only.
>>
>>51823118

>separate drive

That implies using mechanical storage as a backup, which isn't something I'm going to do.

Also, RAID saves you from *drive* failures. It doesn't necessarily save you from other types of failure, and, as such, provides a false sense of security.

>>51823154

What capacity HDD are you talking about? 1 TB? I'm not putting those in my fucking fileserver. I have 20TB in JBOD. Do you have any idea how much it'd cost to migrate to a mirrored system? I'd have to buy new *everything*: more drives, and either rackmount hardware, or a whole second computer just to hold all those drives, or super-high-capacity drives with a higher cost-per-gigabyte.

You're also making an apples-to-oranges comparison, as you have to buy a new HDD every time you want more space, whereas you only need to buy an optical drive once, and then buy media.

Also, absent a rackmount setup, you're going to reach a point where you run out of space for drives and start having to buy extra things to keep adding space, which makes the cost curve of HDD-based storage unpredictable and non-linear beyond a certain point. A Blu-ray-based backup regimen scales in a linear fashion once you own a drive, no strings attached.
>>
>>51821054
>What is backup
>>
>>51822164
This is why I encode them to x265 before storing them. Fucking tard
>>
>>51822395
I have one that has a 3.5mm cable I plug into my phone. It's the same as CD quality honestly. I love it.
>>
>>51823179
This guy gets it.
>>
I still make mix-cds for my car

>"b-b-but you can just hook up your phone/mp3/whatever to it"
I don't want to
>>
>>51822071
Physical media gives me the illusion that I own a product and not merely a license to operate a service.
>>
the people who say you dont need one of those drives obviously doesnt do anything real on computers troubleshoots shit.

unless you have a pile of usb sticks in a drawer, have fun dealing with making bootable tools when you can simply take 30 seconds to burn a disc
>>
>>51821054
How can someone else rip your shitty Chinese cartoons and put them up on bit torrent for you to leech without an optical disc drive?
>>
>>51825717

>what are webrips

>>51825676

>not having a pile of USB sticks in a drawer

Just walk into Best Buy on Black Friday, they're like $4 apiece. I did that two years in a row, and now I'm swimming in the things.
>>
>>51825750
$4 a piece, instead of $4 for like 10-20?

dont act like you would have 10+ of those things laying around ready to use, much less hand out to people
>>
I use mine for backups. Nothing else.
>>
But how do I watch my Simpsons DVDs then?
Impossible to find them on OCH
>>
>>51825750
>how did they get on the web i don't question these things
>>
>>51825774

I actually do have 10+ of them. And I do give them away when necessary. Sure, they're more expensive, but they're writable, more capacious, smaller, more durable, and compatible with a wider range of devices.
>>
>>51822071
Tell me how you're going to download those BDrips if Blu-Ray doesn't exist?

Blu-Ray drives are cheap as fuck and I'll upgrade to a 4K Blu-Ray drive when they and the content starts getting released.
>>
>>51825805

Web rips, you nigger. They come from iTunes and other digital marketplaces, or occasionally streaming sites with cracked DRM.
>>
>>51825824
>stream rips

Gross.
>>
>>51821054
I still burn Dreamcast games all the time, yo.
>>
>>51825852

Yeah, I keep a stack of GD-Rs around for just that purpose.
>>
File: (you).jpg (8 KB, 249x203) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
8 KB, 249x203
>>51825824
>lost generation gobbling up generation loss
Oh please master may I have some more?
>>
How do you use CDs/DVDs without a disc drive?
>>
>>51825821
>Tell me how you're going to download those BDrips if Blu-Ray doesn't exist?

https://torrentfreak.com/pirates-can-now-rip-4k-content-from-netflix-and-amazon-151127/
>>
>>51825978
Stream rips are disgusting, you might as well watch a YIFY DVD rip if you want a blurry mess with banding and artifacts.
>>
>>51821054
>eating the digital jew
Some people like to run products they own, not a license they rent
>>
>>51821054
installing windows on mobos that dont support usb boot
>>
>>51825978
enjoy your eye cancer. that shit is compressed as fuck. streaming and web rips already look like ass thanks to over compression
>>
>>51825967
you can put them on a flatbed scanner with the DPI set to 8000 easily enough. that's what the library of congress does now.
>>
>>51821054
I still can't get linux to boot off a usb on my outdated p35. unetbootin and rufus do jack shit.
>>
>>51826019
Every mass-market consumer medium is a compromise in quality.

You're just attaching yourself to plastic discs because they provide an illusion of superiority.

Blu-rayfags are the new audiophiles.
>>
>>51826091
>Every mass-market consumer medium is a compromise in quality.
Streams are the biggest compromise in quality.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (207 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
207 KB, 1920x1080
>>51821054
There is no reason to have a paper tape drive in 2015. (But I still have one because fu)
>>
I buy obscure anime on DVD and Blu-ray and need a means to rip it because nobody else will.
>>
>>51826091
check the bitrates between a movie on Blu-Ray and a stream/webrip. One is clearly higher quality than the other.
>>
>>51826189
>I buy obscure anime
>I buy anime
>buy anime
>anime
faggot
>>
>>51826216

That's not his point, and, in fact, you're reinforcing it. What he's arguing is that you're like an audiophile, in that a technical, abstract form of superiority is more important to you than the practicality of whether or not it's significant enough to matter in the face of the advantages.
>>
File: 1449153867221.gif (3 MB, 368x182) Image search: [Google]
1449153867221.gif
3 MB, 368x182
>>51821054
>listen to OP and throw away my optical drive
>go to store
>buy game
>come home
>can't play because listened to OP

PERFECT
>>
>>51826263

>buying PC game on disc
>>
>>51821054
I have a blu-ray drive because fuck it why not? It was only $30.
>>
>>51826246
the difference is that audiophiles will spend thousands on placebo bullshit while all I need is a player (cheap), blu-ray (cheap), and a HD tv/monitor (cheap). There's also a significant quality difference between Blu-Ray and HD streams/webrips. Not to mention there's the fact that with a digital copy the distributor can take it away at any time meanwhile the police would have to literally take a blu-ray from me.
>>
>>51826274
That's the normal way outside of burgerland.

I'm not getting keked by those stupid DRM platforms thank you very much.
>>
>>51826349
Oh the wordfilters are still in? Lel.
>>
>>51826246
If you have a functioning set of eyes I guarantee you you'll prefer bluray over webrips 99.999999...% of the time because they wont have banding and artifacts everywhere. There's an extremely obvious difference between the two.
>>
>>51826319
>the police would have to literally take a blu-ray from me

Or let time works it course and turn all your electronics into broken, obsolete junk.
>>
>>51826319

Blu-rays are not cheap. And no, a distributor cannot take a digital rip from you at any time. Sure, if you're a faggot and buy it from iTunes, that might happen, but if you download a webrip of content that someone else bought, it's just as much yours as a Blu-ray is.

Also, audiophiles will argue that their equipment isn't placebo. And this analogy was never about how much you spent in the first place.

>>51826349

You realize that a lot of disc-based PC games still call home to servers on install AND launch, right? That those servers can still go down, leaving you with a coaster? And that the resulting disc is exactly as useful to you as a Steam backup of your game would have been in the same situation?

Kool-Aid: Think before you drink.
>>
>>51822306
>beyond 6 drives
What the hell do you do with your PC that you need 6 drives for backup? Is it just one used drive and then 5 backups? If so, why?
>>
>>51826382
Maybe "AAA" bullshit but I don't buy that anyways.
>>
>>51826375

I might, but I know for certain that I prefer not to pay $20-30 for a medium that eats up shelf space, requires getting up and swapping discs, is packed to the gills with unwanted, unskippable previews, ads, and menus, etc.

>>51826395

Storage. I run a Plex server that serves a household of 4. That shit gets real big, real fast.
>>
>>51826377
that can be said about anything really. are you saying we shouldn't buy anything that can break and become obsolete junk?

>>51826382
>Blu-rays are not cheap
I can pick up 3 for 25$. That's pretty damn cheap. Learn to shop.

>can't take it away from you
>well they can if you get it from iTunes
Nice job of contradicting yourself in one sentence.

>brings up audiophiles
>not about price
Oh, it's about quality. I'll take a double-blind between a screen taken right from the Blu-Ray and one from the stream/webrip any time.
>>
Need a converter to connect my c-cassette drive to my laptop.
>>
>>51826458

>I can pick up 3 for 25$.
But you don't get to choose which one, you just end up digging through the Wal-Mart bargain bin to find a copy of Weekend at Bernie's 3.

>Nice job of contradicting yourself in one sentence.
How explicitly do I have to spell this out for you? If you buy the content directly from iTunes, yes; if you download it from somewhere else like you would a Blu-ray rip, no.
>>
>>51826427
>I might, but I know for certain that I prefer not to pay $20-30 for a medium that eats up shelf space, requires getting up and swapping discs, is packed to the gills with unwanted, unskippable previews, ads, and menus, etc.

There are encodes that are not awful like stream quality ones are. The reason for the awful quality is the settings the site(s) use for their encodes. If you set the encoder right you can have decent filesizes without raping the video. There are release groups that make decent encodes on various filesharing sites.
>>
File: shutter animation.gif (837 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
shutter animation.gif
837 KB, 300x300
There is no reason to use desktops in [john oliver] guise!

use the superior smartphone or tablet with goybook and niggertube instead
>>
What if your area has poor download speed
>>
>>51826488
I can go on my amazon wish lists which contain hundreds just for blu-ray movies and pick out a good amount. by the way, cool job moving the goalposts. keep it up.

You can't say in one sentence that the distributor can't take it away from you and then in the very next sentence say that one can. It's a contradiction by definition. Not that hard to understand.
>>
>>51826458
>are you saying we shouldn't buy anything that can break and become obsolete junk?

No, I'm saying that collecting plastic discs with compressed audio/video is a terrible investment, just like collecting any other piece of consumer electronics. It's not like a well-built piece of furniture or kitchenware that can last for decades or even generations.
>>
>>51821054
How am I supposed to rip CDs/DVDs/BDs without one?
>>
>>51826592
yet all that shit breaks eventually and becomes obsolete. who gives a shit if somebody buys Blu-Ray movies or CDs? It's their money, not yours. Makes no sense that you people care so much what other people do with their own money.
>>
>>51821054
You must be a retarded Winfag. There are plenty of operating systems these days that don't support USB installation.
>>
I don't think I ever once put a CD/DVD into my old C2D Macbook. It's been totally useless for a long time.
>>
>>51826246
This isn't subtle nuances of tube warmth and $1k ceramic insulators we're talking about. There's a very noticeable difference between a 25GB 1080p file and a 12GB 720p file. There's a very noticeable difference between 16-bit 44.1kHz PCM and an MP3 as well. That's fine if it's good enough for you, but don't pretend sacrifices in quality aren't noticeable.
>>
>>51826795
...to do OSX upgrades I'd re-partition the internal drive, copy the installation DVD image to that, boot from that install partition, and upgrade/install onto the system partition. OSX had no problem with this, and I assume it's how it does it automatically these days.
>>
>>51825852
My brother traded our Dreamcast to some autismal kid for weed back in the day. Some time later he got it back, and in the meantime the kid had burned HUNDREDS OF GAMES (a large fraction were Japanese, might have been every game releases for the DC at that point), and even had printed all the case artwork in colour and inserted them into the cases.

For a long time we'd put in a random game ever time we wanted to vidya. A few of the Japanese fighting / brawling games seemed OK from what we could make out of them. I discovered the brilliant Mr. Driller this way.
>>
>>51826773
do i smell a redddit user?
>>
>>51821054
I make music CDs for my car since I have an old radio with no USB port
But yeah, if I had to spend any money for a DVD drive I would just buy the goddamn radio
>>
I need one for MRI when I fix people's computers
>>
>>51826773
Really? Which one?
>>
>>51821054
there is if you like to actually own your media
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.