[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>buy fancy new m.2 SSD and some more RAM >install both
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: HDD-SAMSUNG-MZ-V5P256BW.jpg (35 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
HDD-SAMSUNG-MZ-V5P256BW.jpg
35 KB, 800x600
>buy fancy new m.2 SSD and some more RAM
>install both
>truecrypt doesn't boot from old SSD
>Error: BIOS reserved too much memory: 556
>remove first new RAM stick
>remove second new RAM stick
>remove new SSD
>boots
>install new RAM again
>still boots

what the fuck is this? how can the presence of a new SSD make truecrypt unable to boot from a different SSD?
should i just install gentoo?
>>
Yes, install gentoo
>>
>samsung ssd
hahahahahahgahahahahaha idiot
>>
>>51820863
why are you still using truecrypt in 2015
>>
>>51820915
what else am i gonna use on win7? veracrypt etc. don't really offer any benefit over TC, the security flaws that were found are all minor.
not worth a reinstall.
>>
Yeah Samsung Firmware does that
>>
trick question: do m.2 ssds support ATA passwords?
>>
>>51820935
you don't use windows if you want privacy and security for your data
>>
>>51821608
i'm not aware of any major M$ spying on win7. i just don't want my data lying around unencrypted in case of a police raid or something like that.
>>
>>51821627
why would the police raid you
>>
>>51821661
For the cheesiest of pizzas
>>
>>51821661
dunno, torrents maybe. they probably never will, but still - i don't like the idea of someone being able to turn on my PC and see all my private data.
>>
>>51821627
What are you hiding anon? Your secret's safe with us
>>
>>51821703
>What are you hiding anon?
everything.
>>
>>51820863
OP you do know BIOS only has access to like 1 MB, in this case bios allocated 556 KB

So removing or adding a memorystick does not change BIOS 1 MB
>>
>>51820913
Yet /g/ still claims this thread doesn't have paid shills
>>
>>51822551
at first, i thought it might be a problem with the BIOS being unable to handle more than 32GB. so i flashed a new one but that didn't help either.
so my next idea was that it's probably operating on a very limited amount of memory and is using too much of that memory to address all that RAM. that's why i tried removing it.

could removing some of my drives help reduce the memory use to a level where it will be able to boot? i currently have 3 SSDs, 3 HDDs, a BD drive. + my new SSD, of course.
actually, i just had another idea, i think there's a BIOS setting for only initializing drives needed for boot. gotta try that later.
>>
>>51822618
Disabling almost all features should give you more RAM but im not sure, could be static allocation burnt into the chip
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.