[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you write free software? Is it because you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: gerwinski-gnu-head.png (285 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
gerwinski-gnu-head.png
285 KB, 1200x1200
Why don't you write free software?

Is it because you're dumb?
>>
I'm not on welfare so I actually have to make a living.
>>
>>51819447
>Implying that people would actually buy your shitty proprietary software
>Implying that you can't sell free software
>>
File: 1326790508531.png (22 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1326790508531.png
22 KB, 510x546
i think it's primarily because people are too lazy/cbf. If people actually cared and wanted to, they could do it. Not having the intelligence to perform the task would account for a very low percentage of individuals.
>>
>>51819447
So you spend your free time sucking Microsoft's cock?
>>
>>51819456
fuck what's that game called? I loved it as a kid but I forgot the title

On a related note - is it free/open-source yet?
>>
>>51819480
nvm found it - medievil
>>
Because I'm actually smart enough to get paid to write software
>>
Because I have no money and from that no motivation. I only need enough money for rent, electricity, internet and food. None of that pricy fresh food. Frozen meat, rice and pasta.
>>
>Is it because you're dumb?

yes
>>
File: just'taking'a'gnu.jpg (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
just'taking'a'gnu.jpg
36 KB, 400x300
Because you will get paid ( and I won't ) and you will use my work to promote your office to continue to get paid for the work I have done.
>>
>>51819442
yes
>>
File: gnjew.png (320 KB, 800x935) Image search: [Google]
gnjew.png
320 KB, 800x935
>>51819442
>Is it because you're dumb?

No, it just doesn't pay back at all.
Unless you can find someone to employ me full time to do it I refuse to ever be conned and bullied in to working for free by Stallkike and his cult nutjob following.
>>
>>51819452
I'm selling air for $10 a breath. Please pay.
>>
>>51819488
You can sell free software as well, it is free as in freedom
>>
>>51820041
Apart from the fact "Free Software" forces you to give the source to anyone who buys it.
All it takes is 1 person to buy it and give the source out and then they can share the source and distribute it for free.

Xchat used to charge Windows users, the source was available so third parties built and distributed it for free.
It seems the only way to make money on FOSS is providing technical support.
>>
>>51819806
This

Also, saved.
>>
>>51819806
>oy vey gib me money to make your code, goyim

I'm not sure you know who the kike is here
>>
>>51820123
>It seems the only way to make money on FOSS is providing technical support.

>intentionally bug software to get money being a techie
>luddites don't check source code, don't fix software
>company keeps writing more bugs
>free software is intentionally worse than proprietary aoftware
>>
>>51820143
>Also, saved.
Hello redditor, make sure you post it to /r/4chan XD

I'll see you on the other side of the karma rainbow, if you know what I mean ;)
>>
>>51820123
Yes, but you can sell the service even if it's open source. Different ways of making money, provide tech support, sell service and/or sell the application to people who want to support it
>>
>>51820123
And yet lots of people pay for Debian's CDs. Most people are going to pay for convenience.
>>
>>51819442
I wrote gcc. Ask me anything
>>
>>51820347
How much money do people making selling services compared to when they sold it as a closed product?

There must be companies out there that have made stuff open and still sell it or the service for comparison.

Personally I cannot see the service salves making anywhere near if you sold closed software instead. The service would have to be super expensive and most likely the open source would just make their own free version of the service and put the company out of business.

>>51820378
How many CD's do Debian sell? How much money do they get from it per year? What percentage of Debian installs are done from a paid for CD/DVD?

How much would they make if they charged as little as possible for CD/DVD production costs and every install had to be paid for?
>>
>>51820392
>How much would they make if they charged as little as possible for CD/DVD production costs and every install had to be paid for?
Urgh I mean pay as little for that but obviously make a tiny profit for themselves.

Also is they made people pay for installs to get a little profit they could pay developers to work full time. That can't be a bad thing.

It seems only RH and SUSE pay people full time to work on open source software. Some others should help out too rather than just taking others hard work and earnings to sell it off as their own.
>>
FOSS creates unemployment among software developers.

I am not evil, sorry.
>>
>>51819442
I do, I just don't need to attach 35KB of words and a self-important attitude to make it so.

wtfpl master race
>>
>>51820418
>only RH and SUSE
That sad thing is about this is that without them a large chunk of the security and kernel work wouldn't get done, let alone all the desktop related shit.

If either of those went bust (not likely imo) we'd be left with a huge gap in contributions, especially since Canonical do fucking nothing.
>>
You guys have heard about piracy, right? I can get your paid propiretary software for free if I wanted to
>>
It is because I'm dumb
>>
But I do
>>
>>51820537
this desu senpai

if you sold your shitty software with source i'd actually buy it though
>>
Time is a resource and basically can be spent on gaining finances (which give you greater freedom). I can understand having fun on some small free projects, but who's going to give away a precious resource for nothing?
>>
>>51820569
>free software = working for free
I get paid money to write free software
>>
>>51819442
I prefer the term "less capable"
>>
I already get paid to write software. There's no reason for me to become an attentionwhore by giving away my code for free in the hopes that somebody someday might hire me.

Go and watch more teamtreehouse videos and enjoy being a mediocre programmer all your life while you delude yourself into thinking you matter.
>>
>>51820649
Good point, but where exactly will you get the money from? As people do not pay for the software, you don't receive any revenue through sales.

Donations? Ads?
>>
How much do you guys get paid per hour to write code? Here in Bangladesh, I get $9 per hour.
>>
>>51820680
SMAs/SLAs, training, support, hosting, ...

The possibilities are literally endless.
>>
>>51820680
The money comes from my employer. I write software that they require for internal use, but I also have permission to license it as GPL. So everybody wins.
>>
>>51819806
gnu, no...
>>
>>51820687
>per hour
I don't get paid per hour, I have a salary.

But if I calculate my salary to hours, I get paid roughly $33 per hour.

Norway
>>
>>51820697
You literally don't know what literally means.

>>51820687
Please stop ruining our industry.
>>
>>51819806
>No, it just doesn't pay back at all.
dumb capitalist, always expecting to get something in return
>>
File: 1444791412972.png (3 KB, 280x272) Image search: [Google]
1444791412972.png
3 KB, 280x272
>>51819463
>Making a living using a learned skill
>suckling Microsoft's cock

Wow, I had no idea using a marketable skill to live ones life automatically amounted to corperate felatio. What a funny little man.
>>
>>51820716
Is that the average pay for a programmer there? I can't imagine how anybody can live in Europe with that kind of a salary. Does the company pay your rent and electricity bills at least?
>>
File: 1446565123036.jpg (195 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
1446565123036.jpg
195 KB, 517x768
Holy shit, this thread is pathetic as fuck, since when did it become some taboo against humanity to want to earn a living? What is this, a bunch of teenagers who wish they could code, so they pretend to be all anti establishment about people who actually know how to and get paid to do it? It's a whole new level of edgy.
>>
>>51820737
>Is that the average pay for a programmer there?
It's the average starting salary, yes.

>I can't imagine how anybody can live in Europe with that kind of a salary. Does the company pay your rent and electricity bills at least?
No, but they do pay my phone and internet.

Are you implying that it's a low hourly wage? You need to consider the cost of living, anon.
>>
>>51820784
s/wage/rate
>>
>>51820735
yes you did you homo
>>
>>51820778
I'm a mech engineer and I write free software in my spare time. Anyone who isn't half retarded could do it.

It's not my fault you made the shitty life choice to be a code monkey. It's like making a career out of playing video games.
>>
>>51820840
>I'm a mech engineer and I write free software in my spare time.
Why only in your spare time? Why not give up your job and write free software full time?

>It's not my fault you made the shitty life choice to be a code monkey
My sides are in orbit... calling others codemonkeys because they do proprietary software that pays rather than doing it for completely free like you do.
You're as much as a monkey as him, only he gets bannanas and you're caged with the other tardy ones that throw poop at each other.
>>
File: stalljew.jpg (139 KB, 593x445) Image search: [Google]
stalljew.jpg
139 KB, 593x445
Because I do not follow jewish teachings
>>
>>51819842
It's against the law to deprive living beings from air.
You can sell water though
>>
File: 1444574803495.gif (2 MB, 177x150) Image search: [Google]
1444574803495.gif
2 MB, 177x150
>>51820840
That's great, write all the free software you want in your spare time, but some people utilize their abilities to make money or are you a mechanical engineer for free too?
>>
>>51820840
lol, mechanical engineering is no better than being a code monkey
>>
>>51821826

You don't have to deal with retards saying you need to give your work away for free in mechanical engineering, so it has that going for it.
>>
>>51819442
>programming for free
KEK
>>
>all these NEETS wanting other people to write software for free
>"b-but you can totally make money writing free software!!"

Have fun making 1/3 of what I do while begging for donations. I'll stick with what I'm doing since I'm not GNU/autistic.
>>
>>51819463
This is the worst shiposting I've ever seen it makes me cringe desu
>>
>>51820347
Right. Just offer the code for free but have them pay for services.

My code IS my product. I don't do tech support, there is no service that comes with the code to make it useful, etc.

My code is not free because my code is all I intend to make.
>>
>>51819442
Because you're insulting me.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.