[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help an Anon out with these questions, and test your knowledge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1376185287448.jpg (21 KB, 456x306) Image search: [Google]
1376185287448.jpg
21 KB, 456x306
Help an Anon out with these questions, and test your knowledge

> What are the different WiFi standards currently?
> How many access points are needed for a 10,000 sq. ft. office?
>Name a few WLAN manufacturers who are leaders in the WiFi industry
I am guessing Texas instruments and qualcomm
>How do you determine the number of access points needed in an office?

True or False
>OSI model stands for Optical static interference
>OSI is a standard for different manufactures
>OSI from top to bottom Application, Physical, Streaming, technical, network, data, presentation

>Routers forwards data packets along networks
>A router is connected to at least two networks, two LAN or WANs or a LAN and its ISP's network
>A router operates in the Network layer or layer 3 of the OSI model.
>A router provides ACL's to firewalls to interconnect ISP's and home users.

>A switch works in the Data layer or Layer 2 of the OSI model.
>A switch turns on and off similar to a light bulb to provide electricity to computers.
>A switch runs firewall protective functions on the LAN via L2.
>A switch connects hosts to the LAN network

>What is the difference between an L2 switch and an L3 switch
>>
File: traders_mantra.jpg (24 KB, 450x340) Image search: [Google]
traders_mantra.jpg
24 KB, 450x340
>>51816436
What major is this btw?
>>
> What are the different WiFi standards
802.11a/b/g/n/ac
This is a marketing question. Depends who you ask. I use 1500-2000 sq feet. Say 5-6.
>Name a few WLAN manufacturers who are leaders in the WiFi industry
WLAN manufacturers? Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus, HP, Meraki, Aerohive, Ubiquiti. Radios and chipsets vary, Atheros and Realtek mostly.
Wireless site survey is the real answer, but they might tell you something dumb like square footage

True or False
False
OSI isn't a standard? Its an abstraction?
>OSI from top to bottom Application, Physical, Streaming, technical, network,
No? You're using the garbage OSI model anyway. You want: Physical, data/link, network, then layers 4-7 (spoken like a true engineer)

Routers route packets. Switches forward. This is likely true, but I'm pedantic and your class is dumb.
>A router is connected to at least two networks, two LAN or WANs or a LAN and its ISP's network.
I mean, it can be. So true?
>A router operates in the Network layer or layer 3 of the OSI model.
This is true.
>A router provides ACL's to firewalls to interconnect ISP's and home users.
What.... I mean, a router can have ACLs implemented on it but this question is worded so bizarrely I'm going to go with false.

True
>A switch turns on and off similar to a light bulb to provide electricity to computers.
False
>A switch runs firewall protective functions on the LAN via L2.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... that would be VLANs? False?
>A switch connects hosts to the LAN network
True
An L3 switch is capable of reading packet headers and performing limited routing table lookups.
>>
>>51816514
>This is a marketing question. Depends who you ask. I use 1500-2000 sq feet. Say 5-6.
I assumed the range on most wifi was 500 sqft unobstructed and divided 10k/500. got ~20

I am EE and have never seen this before so its all new to me
>>
>>51816514
Is this computer science and what level (BS or AS) would someone need to be to answer these questions
>>
>>51816514
>>51816766

No idea where this falls actually. It's somewhere in between a mix of IT, EE (Mostly), and a little bit of CS. I got 2/3 of these questions and i'm a mechanical engineer myself, but had to do a lot of research on this subject as the company I work for was looking to get into developing "connected" devices.
>>
>>51816922
also I'm not the guy who posted this:
>>51816514
>>
>>51816766
>>51816922

A network administrator or network technician would be able to answer these questions. A tech school (AS) would be sufficient, if you didn't/couldn't start as an underling and learn on the job.
>>
>>51816922
>>51817017
Well thanks guys
I had no idea what the heck I was looking at here as EE
>post ad looking for Junior undergrad RF engineer
>Ask network admin questions
Thanks to the guy who posted the answers hope I get it
>>
>>51816436
>> What are the different WiFi standards currently?
Who gives a fuck, AC is the latest
>> How many access points are needed for a 10,000 sq. ft. office?
What the fuck is a ft?
>>Name a few WLAN manufacturers who are leaders in the WiFi industry
Ubiquity, Aerohive, Cisco
>>How do you determine the number of access points needed in an office?
I pay someone with the equipment/knowledge to do it for me
>True or False
>>OSI model stands for Optical static interference
>>OSI is a standard for different manufactures
>>OSI from top to bottom Application, Physical, Streaming, technical, network, data, presentation
All false
>>Routers forwards data packets along networks
>>A router is connected to at least two networks, two LAN or WANs or a LAN and its ISP's network
True
>>A router operates in the Network layer or layer 3 of the OSI model.
True
>>A router provides ACL's to firewalls to interconnect ISP's and home users.
Some do
>>A switch works in the Data layer or Layer 2 of the OSI model.
True
>>A switch turns on and off similar to a light bulb to provide electricity to computers.
kek
>>A switch runs firewall protective functions on the LAN via L2.
It could in theory?
>>A switch connects hosts to the LAN network
True
>>What is the difference between an L2 switch and an L3 switch
Packets and frames

Did I pass?
>>
>>51817259
I don't know it was a survey question for an interview

I am a EE undergrad and the AD said they were looking for a junior RF engineer. I applied thinking it would be mostly filters. Have no idea what I am going to do if I actually score an interview or get the job.
>>
>>51817304
You don't have a job description?

Sounds more like you'd be installing access points, or perhaps coming up with AP layouts.
>>
>>51817415
>perhaps coming up with AP layouts
Looking at it now thats what it looks like I will be doing. to be honest I need a job like ASAP and anything that doesn't require a bachelors degree is what I applied for
>>
File: funguy.png (499 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
funguy.png
499 KB, 449x642
>>51816436
> What are the different WiFi standards currently?
ac, b, n. I know there's more.
Using fucking wifi in an office environment. :^)
Access points as in WAP? Assuming you have a secured network, which you should if you aren't retarded, lazy or both, the only access points that should be provided are for guests in a lobby type setup or maybe a conference room. Two is pushing it.

kek
No. Just no.
>OSI from top to bottom Application, Physical, Streaming, technical, network, data, presentation
double kek

So can different network devices, but routers are supposed to do it in a smart manner based on routing tables.
>A router is connected to at least two networks, two LAN or WANs or a LAN and its ISP's network
That doesn't sound right. A router can be completely internal.

Sure.
What the fuck does this even mean? A light bulb continually receives power while plugged in, but only has electricity flow through it when turned on. A switch sends an receives traffic between the router and host machine but only as traffic is being transmitted. They are nothing alike. It's like asking, a car is like an apple because they are both known for their juice: true or false. Its false, but it's blatantly so, because the juxtaposition of it is bizarre.

L2 = Data, L3=Network. The transmit different shit. Network is packets, Data is those same packets being prepped to be sent or recieved through L1.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.