[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pre-built or self-built?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: computersetup.jpg (79 KB, 700x564) Image search: [Google]
computersetup.jpg
79 KB, 700x564
Relative tech-noob here. Does it make more sense to buy an on-sale pre-built desktop computer or to buy parts separately and build it myself? My budget is around $800 and I intend to play games, watch a lot of streamed content, and have a lot of tabs open at once (multi-tasking).

I don't have any specific pre-built computer or computer parts in mind. Just looking to get your opinions /g/
>>
>>51814922
separate will easily get you 2x the computer for the same amount of money
>>
>>51814922
Build on yourself, hands down.

You'll get more computer for your money, and learn a new skill while you're at it.
>>
>>51814922
Do you know where you are? The land of DIY builds. Do you honestly think anyone would recommend a dell XPS or alienware?

Anyhow, read the sticky, install gentoo, etc. Post your pc build link in a SQT or daily build thread for critique when you're ready. Make sure to be wearing your big boy pants when you do because /g/ rarely ever gives 100% positive critique.
>>
>>51814922
Nice bait but alright you can buy a prebuilt for 800$ that will have hardware that performs like 4 year old mid tier pc
Or
You can build one for 400$ that you wont have to upgrade for years.
>>
>>51815443
kind of hyperbole there anon. pre-built systems usually suck dick but a $400 gaming machine won't accomplish much, assuming OP wants to game at 1080p.
>>
everything else i get, but alot of tabs open? the internet is that good anymore.
>>
>>51814922
OP I was in your position not too long ago. I just built my first computer after years of being nervous about it. I spent $700 + the OS and I run fallout 4 and other modern games at 60+fps at high settings. the important part is the graphics card.

If you decide to buy a pre-built, just buy something with a good graphics card (at least a GTX 960 or a Radeon r9 280 or so) Dont buy a fancy ass looking tower with tons of lights and a fancy looking case. Also dont ever, EVER buy alienware.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ pc part buying guide.

The building part itself is actually somewhat easy, but find a friend who's built at least one computer to show you what to do. Or just man up and look up youtube tutorials. Fairly easy. Hardest part is cables / headers.
>>
>>51814922
I assembled my first computer a few days ago
I have a tendency of fucking things up even when following instructions so I was a nervous.

It took me five hours and I was glued to videos but I did it with no problems.

Definitely build it op it's the all around better option
>>
>>51815328
what's wrong with dell xps?
>>
>>51815935
I3 4170 - 100$
270x - 150$
Ram and mobo - 100$
1 tb harddrive - 40$
Psu and case - 70$

Set for years at 1080p for 460$
/thread
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.