[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ I've never been here before I'm usually lurking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: television.jpg (110 KB, 1600x1280) Image search: [Google]
television.jpg
110 KB, 1600x1280
Hey /g/ I've never been here before I'm usually lurking on /b/ but I have some genuine questions and am looking for some help. If this is anything like /b/ I'll catch a lot of OP is a new fag and why don't I am hero for not knowing the answers to my questions, but I'm hopeful that I'll get the answers I need and be able to continue from there.
Question 1- what is the difference between gofundme and kickstart, what is acceptable to use either for?
Question 2- Is it acceptable to post links here on /g/ to a gofundme or kickstarter?
Question 3- Am I on the right board for an idea for improving an existing piece of technology?
>>
>>51813856
All we do here is post our homescreens and argue about inane bullshit. Occasionally there is a halfway decent discussion before the thread derails. Start by sharing your ideas for improving whatever it is you're taking about.
>>
>>51813856
Q1) that's hardly techrelated but w/e
gofundme is for stuff like "my little niglet needs a new kidney please halp" or "let's get these girl scouts to the national convention!!!", you know, fundraising. Kickstarter is intended for business ventures, mostly products like a video game or jump to conclusion mats, and it's against the rules to do fundraising for non-profit bullshit, but that hasn't stopped people from doing so e.g. that girl who went to video game camp

Q2. yeah but not if you're shilling and obviously it has to be tech related

Q3. yeah
>>
>>51813968
I wish I could say I have ideas. A friend I know has been doing quite a bit of research on televisions, a bit obsessive and definitely passionate to be honest. He has started a gofundme /ucdv9m8k and I told him I'd spread the word. Should I have him visit /g/? I really want to make sure things go well for him and I don't want him to get screwed over. Its all above my head though.
>>
>>51814034
Thanks for the answers. I believe from your response to the first question maybe he should be using kick start
>>
>>51814080
>I created a TV design of which the market has not seen before. A TV that enables, through innovative techniques and design, the ability for consumers to purchase large screen sizes (up to 80 inches) with the same image performance features of new high end UHD TV's ( 4K UHD, HDR, Wide Color Gamut) at one third the cost of the competition.
His page is basically a biography of himself, it does little to explain his ideas or the product he has in mind.
>>
>>51814102
after reading his spiel, it looks like gofundme is more appropriate. He doesn't have any proof of concept or at least didn't show it, and he's not asking for money with which to produce them, he's asking for money to get a prototype

not that his idea isn't worth having a kickstarter or anything, it's just that gofundme seems more appropriate. Also, urge him to get rid of the sob story, it'll only turn off normalfags aka the people with loose wallets.
>>
>>51814154
What advice and or recommendations do you have for what he's written, what should he add or remove. What would improve his message to help him get more support?
>>
>>51814203
For starters what >>51814191 said. It should be about his idea with a very tiny bit about him. He needs to explain how it will work and the technology and design behind it. Details details details.
>>
>>51814191
Thank you for being honest. I will pass on the tips for revision.
>>
>>51814217
Thank you for the advice. Should be in anyway be worried about disclosing to many details?
>>
>>51814285
I take it you're worried about someone stealing the idea. It definitely needs a lot more information, but you don't need to 100% explain how it works. There is a line between proving that you have a sound and workable idea and giving away your idea.
>>
>>51814285
yes, obviously don't spill all the beans but divulging a general idea of what he's working on is important beyond just "i'm going to make tvs better"

he has to tell how, not exactly, but we have to have some general idea of how
>>
>>51814307
>>51814326
Again thank you all. I just got off the phone with him and passed on all the advice. He will work on an updated description with more details about the idea and less personal details. For my first time here on /g/ thank you. If you feel inclined pass on his link.
>>
>>51814383
tbqh facebook shilling is probably the best way to go, most of /g/ doesn't give a shit about tvs but old fogeys on facebook do. Just make friends with a shitload of your mom's friends and make a couple posts about it, or make a facebook page for it
>>
>>51814463
Duely noted, will have him make a fb page for it. Thanks for your time.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.