[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I'm a student at University of Texas and my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 1252503_1160-100024357-large.jpg (50 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
1252503_1160-100024357-large.jpg
50 KB, 580x388
Hey /g/, I'm a student at University of Texas and my parents have decided that they'll get me any kind of laptop I would like. If I can't find one I like they're getting me this Surface Pro 4 but I feel like the whole tablet thing is gimmicky.

Budget is about $1,000.

What would you recommend ?
>>
>>51812666
>Hey /g/,
hi satan

>I'm a student at University of Texas
how is this relevant at all?

>and my parents have decided that they'll get me any kind of laptop
underage faggot, gtfo. you must be 18+ for this site
>>
>>51812666
You must be 18 years or older to post.
With that said, you might as well get an alienware laptop. In college, a surface pro isn't going to make the cut especially at UT. My advice, get the most powerful and expensive laptop you can afford.
>>
>>51812666
I'm also a student at UT. I recommend building your custom built desktop pc rig and bringing it over to your dorm. Put your monitor and case on a rolling work table and bring it to class because you want the most power you can get at all times.
>>
Get a surface book.
>>
>>51812666
No matter what you get, you're going to be underwhelmed by the low quality, lack of upgradeability, shitty ergonomics, and planned-obsolescence.

Think of a laptop as a disposable device and spend accordingly. Impress your parents with your maturity and financial wisdom. They'll be more likely to support you monetarily in the future.

I'd probably go with a used thinkpad or a chromebook or something similar.
>>
>>51812666
You should get one of the old Thinkpad workhorses. I bought a T420, slapped BunsenLabs on it, and went to town.

Best of luck to you, anyhow.
>>
Also Surface sucks when used in the roles a tablet is traditionally used in.

Tablets should be less than 340g weight for best experience.
>>
>>51812666
XPS 13
>>
>>51812666

Well anon it all depends on what your major is/ what you're focusing on. My general advice is to get a good desktop that you can upgrade down the road and then keep a laptop or whatever disposable/planned obsolesence item for your on-the-go carry.
>>
>>51812807
>not building your own linux cluster and SSHing it through a tablet

it's like you all want OP to fail.
>>
>>51812666
Buy a small pull wagon and get a desktop.
Get a nice fat car battery and an alternator and you're good to go.

Make sure to rice the shit out of that wagon and your case with bright as fuck LED strips.
>>
>>51812666
-take the money
-get $200 ancient thinkpad
-spend $800 in pot like a real college boy

You're welcome.
>>
buy a raspberry pi and whenever you are in a class connect it to the projector
>>
>>51812666
Buy this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PYZ0J6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=30WY1VC03WIP3&coliid=IOT57ETVP25X4&psc=1

Make sure to get another 8 gig stick of RAM and an SSD to maximize its capabilities
>>
>"my parents have decided that they'll get me any kind of laptop"
>surface pro 4
lol fag
>>
>>51812666
Get a t420 for a couple hundred bucks, use the rest of the money for whatever the fuck else you want
>>
Surface Book.

Or embrace the Birney with Chromebook Pixel.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-LIFEBOOK-T904-Windows-10-Tablet-PC-Touchscreen-WACOM-Stylus-Warranty-/121836717668?hash=item1c5e08c664:g:n1cAAOSwf-VWW3wD
>>
>>51812666
UT grad here, don't bother with laptops if you're not CS or engineering, kiddo.
>>
>not using a t420 and then building a desktop computer
>not using the comfiest keyboard ever created
>>
>>51812666
a Surface Pro 4 with a keyboard is the way to go. The pen is extremely useful for notes. I've been using my Pro 2 for more than a year and the fact I can take notes and run some of my engineering programs has made it worth it
>>
>>51815566
xps 13 with i5/8gb nontouch
>>
>>51813319
>$1000
>>
>>51815750
>dual core i5
>shit screen
>lots of keyboard flex
>>
Take the i5 Surface Pro 4 feg.
>>
>>51814056

not OP but i'm browsing for a similar lappo and this looks p sick.
>>
>>51815901
>>starts at $799.99
that's a penny less than 800!
>>
>>51816119
Which is actually a lie, it says 799.99 but when you click to view it goes up to $849.99.

and that's for a 4GB, i3, 128SSD

Pretty much a huge ripoff
>>
>>51813478
I actually did this once with Nook Simple Touch on my C classes. I was writing btree algorithm in pure c without dynamic arrays lel
>>
>any laptop I like
>budget is 1k
???

Since you are comsci just get a chromebook.
Cheers.
>>
>>51812666
xpx 13 or base surface book
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.