[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eMac: What a stupid piece of shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Apple-eMac-FL.jpg (11 KB, 375x364) Image search: [Google]
Apple-eMac-FL.jpg
11 KB, 375x364
Well, I have a family member that still uses one of these stupid things so as I'm family tech support I have to deal with right now the screen on this apparently dying as they telling me it sometimes is shutting off and coming back. Now I know there's no saving this thing when it eventually does die but can you at least temporarily connect another screen to it? I don't even see any VGA ports on it. Also is it even hard to get the hard drive out if I have to ? Is it even a standard hard drive? I mean because there's a CRT screen and all I've never had to open one of those before so of course I'm hesitant to if I can avoid it. They just had to shove everything into one big blob.
Anyone's experience would be helpful.
>>
just tell them to get a new computer
>>
>>51811874
Well Yeah they def are getting a new computer. I'm just saying as far as the data on it goes. Can you at least get to the hard drive easily. If the screen goes out before I'm able to get something to back it up on could a 2nd screen be plugged in? That sort of thing.
>>
>>51811937
The hard drive is standard IDE. You'll need Linux on an older system to read it, for the combination of IDE hardware and HFS+ drivers.
>>
>>51812165
Well I don't have linux, I knew it was a different format than windows uses but I have stuff that should be able to read IDE or could easily get a usb converter. So there's no easy way for windows to read it?
>>
>>51812215
>Well I don't have linux

Download a distro then, you stupid negro
>>
>>51811852
If it managed to stay in service for nearly a decade if not more, it's hardly a piece of shit.

Anyway, I don't recall the procedure offhand, if the new machine is a Macintosh with Firewire, look up "target disk mode."
>>
>>51812319
I ment the design in that if the screen goes or something else inside goes it's all shoved into the area near the screen. Just was curious if anyone ever tried to open one of these things.
>>
File: 1447153900716.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1447153900716.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>51811937
>HFS
>file recovery
>>
>>51812258
Well yeah I ment I don't have it installed on anything other than virtual machines (though that could possibly work?)
>>
>>51812522
It's not really file "recovery" the drive would be totally fine. I'm still gonna have them backup stuff to a flash drive but I can still try to at least save the hard drive before throwing it out. I usually aint wasteful and don't wanna throw out functioning stuff.
>>
>>51812511
>Just was curious if anyone ever tried to open one of these things.

You're obviously underaged b& and are retarded.

>hurrr durr, I can't google how to safely open one of the iconic and popular old computers out there.
>>
Yeah ok so I looked up other people's experiences with actually trying to open one of these things and it sounds like it's a very bad idea as I thought because the CRT is so freaking close. What a horrible design.
Guess I'll just hope it doesn't die any time soon and I have time to back this thing up.
>>
>>51812809
Wow now that sure wasn't called for jeez. For the record I'm in my late 20s and not retarded as you want to claim. Calm down.
>>
>>51812511
>Just was curious if anyone ever tried to open one of these things.
I have. The e in the name stands for Education.
They are very complex inside from a hardware point of view. They were built to last and be serviced on site by trained IT staff.
They have a mini-VGA port that mirrrors the internal display. IIRC, they all had FireWire so Target Mode should be a way to copy the HD.
>>
>>51812888
Alright thanks. Didn't notice if there actually was a port among all the ones I did see but I do happen to have an old VGA monitor though would have to find an adapter. But good to know my options are more open.
>>
just find an old computer that has ide hard drive connectors, plug the hdd into it, and run puppy linux or something to get the files you want
>>
google it you fucking moron
>>
>>51815794
Or you could just connect the hard drive to another Mac.
>>
be careful not to electrocute yourself as the crt screen parts can be very dangerous opened up, even while unplugged
>>
>>51812855
hello newfriend
>>
>>51815831
Or you can use Target Disk mode to connect it to any other computer with FireWire.
>>
File: 1449859443763.jpg (61 KB, 636x376) Image search: [Google]
1449859443763.jpg
61 KB, 636x376
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.