[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best antivirus/ antivirus general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: eset.png (338 KB, 451x421) Image search: [Google]
eset.png
338 KB, 451x421
>>
>>51811805
My brain, because I'm not retarded to need one.
>>
>>51811827
please help a poor retard then
>>
>>51811893
Create a user account with no admin privieledges, make a password on one with admin provieledges. Everyday use the non-admin account.

When Windows will ask you for a password to do some admin stuff, ask yourself twice "do i really want to grant this thing complete control over my computer?"
>>
>>51811805
pic rel
/thread
>>
I bet everyone who says "I don't need one" "Common Sense 2016" and shit like that, have a million virus in their computers.
Yep.
>>
>>51811805
gentoo
>>
>>51812498
lol

i use GNU/Linux bud.

only packages from the GNU/linux debian repo (all opensource) do i have a virus? fuck no
>>
I swear anti virus's give you virus's to sell their products.
>>
File: 20151204_220052_HDR-1.jpg (195 KB, 1070x1714) Image search: [Google]
20151204_220052_HDR-1.jpg
195 KB, 1070x1714
>>51812498
This.
I tried common sense and got a boot sector virus.
Not my first time posting this, but meh, I want you fucks to not repeat my mistake.
On the plus side it's a happy virus and doesn't seem malicious so far.
>>
>>51812498
No one is dumb enough to fall for this meme. I have Common Sense 2015 and got a pain in the ass worm off my uni's network. Also JavaScript and xss in ads can install malicious stuff.
>>
>>51811805
install gentoo
>>
Don't need it.

I have a Mac. Macs don't get viruses.
I've had mine for 5 years now and I've been on all sorts of websites and downloaded all sorts of shit.

Not a single problem.
>>
>>51811805
The only computer I have with absolutely no antivirus is my school computer. I only use it for schoolwork and never do e-mail or banking on it.
>>
kaspersky
costs 10 bux a year on ebay and just works

in general there are only 2 antivirus engines: kaspersky and bitdefender. bitdefender is pretty good too, so get that if you want them.
>>
I used AVG until it turned into shitware that pops ads up for the pro version every two minutes. I use bit defender now. Only downside is I have to disable it for cleaner to run. I guess that's a good thing though, its defending bits.
>>
ClamAV

/thread
>>
>>51812645
> Macs don't get viruses
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422

And this isn't the only time this has happened.
>>
>>51812771
And?
Do any of these 'viruses' actually do anything?

My old computer had fucking thousands of them. Didn't seem to affect anything. Never had any money stolen or anything.
>>
>>51812740
clamav is like most opensores apps: total shit
>>
It's a toss between Kaspersky and NOD32. The latter is safer but NOD32 is so twitchy it might lock the user out if it thinks you're acting suspicious, I kid you not.

KasperskyIS is GOAT if you pair it with common sense. It's also far lighter on your system, except for boot times.
>>
>>51812498
I see Symantec marketers have made their way onto here.
Norton is practically malware seeing as it eats your system's resources and tells their servers what files you're using.
>>
>antivirus
>when GNU/Linux exists
anyway when I was in my final days of needing Windows I would use Comodo. no nonsense antivirus for people can't rely on common sense or based stallman
>>
>>51812913
>kaspersky is goat
>literal russian botnet
>shit protection

wew
>>
>>51812839
>I don't care if people watch me naked as long as they don't rape me.
>>
Eset

PSA their sysrescue tool is the full scanner and free with no serial or activation check or whatever
>>
>>51812839
delicious bait
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (131 KB, 903x869) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
131 KB, 903x869
>>51812986
>>shit protection
[citatation needed]

Avira
Bitdefender
Kaspersky
Norton

all good

AV-Comparatives also does not rate Eset that highly

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/avc_per_201510_en.pdf
>>
I use avira and bitdefender to be absolutely sure.
Tried to activate security essentials but it doesnt want to for some reason.
>>
>>51812895
Found the Applefag
>>
>using nonfree binaries to protect you from nonfree binaries

lol.
>>
I work in the industry and I have a few tips. I've heard from computer technicians that Emsisoft is so fast easy and good that it's significantly decreased their billable hours removing viruses/malware.

Personally, if I were going to pay for an antivirus I'd go with F-secure. F-secure was one of the few Antivirus programs that found the Sony Rootkit when it first came out. Other vendors just assumed that any software backed by Sony was good.
>>
>>51812012
Literally typing the password for every breath you take
>>
>using binaries

lmao poorfags
>>
>>51813112
>AVG
>ranked this high

No no fuck this graph

How could AVG be ranked this high? Not even memeing but personal experience.

I've cleared out systems with Malwarebytes that had thousands of bits of malware on it that AVG claim was """""clean""""""
>>
>>51813270
empirical tests.
>>
Someone post some free serial keys!
>>
>>51813864
>help I can't search for a crack

kek
>>
I use Bitdefender, it's cheap af on eBay has top tier detection rates and is low on resources. Used eset back in the days but it got worse by every year, performance is bad nowadays.

Funny thing is.. having a good Antivirus actually improves performance in comparison to Windows defender
>>
>>51811805
Windows Defender
>>
>>51814301
Bad detection rate and worse performance than top av's. You should switch m8
>>
>>51813003
Exactly.
As long as I can't see them watching me naked, they can knock themselves out.
>>
>>51814430
I remember when I was a kid, doing all these games with RPG Maker which I've downloaded with Kaazaa.. a few months later I installed Norton 2004 or something and I had like 500 viruses haha. Still remember the name "Win32.pinfi"
>>
>>51814309
>>51814185
literally shilling
>>
MSE/Defender
Literally the only non-botnet antivirus
>>
Anti virus is literally the worst thing you could ever use. like pros cant get around them. most software has spyware anyway.

>>51812956
norton destroyed my OS within two hours of owning my first computer. it took me months to figure out how to restore everything. since then ive deleted every non essential programs on any device ever.
>>
>>51815462
Shut the fuck up.
>>
Use a Mac.
>>
>>51812913
Fucking bullshit. NOD32 is the lightest and has been forever. Kaspersky is probably the strongest of them all, but it's infamous for its intrusiveness and resource use.
>>
>>51812599
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>51816328
>NOD32
>lightest
>still living in the middle age
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/avc_per_201510_en.pdf
>>
>>51814092
>cracking an AV

W E W
>>
>>51818917
its like doing heroin to stop doing blow
>>
>>51812012
linux users, everyone.
>>
>>51812498
This.

Just lol @ you idiots who think you're immune to viruses.
>>
>>51813270
I stopped using AVG during the 2010 mandatory update that bricked windows 7 64 bit. It's one of those fatal sin situations where if your company is shit enough to release an update that kills a few hundred thousand windows installs then I'll never trust it again.

No fucking clue why I used it in the first place as I've always used common sense and never had an issue for 16 years.
>>
>>51815462
MSE/Defender is literally the worst antivirus you could possibly choose
>>
>>51819022
>I've always used common sense and never had an issue for 16 years.

How would you know you never had an issue? There's a lot of malware that never presents itself to you in a meaningful way, and just harvests sensitive information without you ever noticing. Common sense doesn't protect you from a 0-day.
>>
dont remember. its been a while since ive booted into windows
>>
Common Sense 2016 Ultimate Edition
>>
>>51812012
isn't this why UAC exists?
>>
am using WEBROOT antivirus . very easy on my OLD LAPTOP . love it .
>>
>>51811805
Just install windows defender and be done with it
>>
ive been using webroot for around 4 years now and its done great by me. great protection and it uses no where near as much resources as most of the other antivirus that ive seen.

ive got it on my desktop, my laptop, and my mothers laptop. multiple times i have had somebody come to me with a computer laden with viruses asking me to fix it. 90% of the time i can just download webroot from one of my spare accounts run it, clean up their computer and hand them back a good product after telling them that they are a fucking idiot and need to get some fucking antivirus.
>>
>>51820307
obviously after i clean up their computer i pull my account off of their computer and tell them to get their own.
>>
>>51812771
>
>>
File: s.png (57 KB, 398x409) Image search: [Google]
s.png
57 KB, 398x409
>>51811805

I haven't gotten a "virus" on my PC in 4 years. I purchased a lifetime Malwarebytes license a couple of years ago and it's still just chilling on my PC. I regret purchasing it because you have to be technologically impaired/retarded to get any malicious stuff on your PC.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.