[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I plan on making a storage server...but I know nothing about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: avatar_1449811468249.jpg (89 KB, 930x930) Image search: [Google]
89 KB, 930x930
So I plan on making a storage server...but I know nothing about it. Any info or tips is appreciated.
>>
hab computer
put ftp server on it

congrats you now server
>>
>>51811450
What kind of storage? You want to access it by ftp, website?

I'll help if you'll tell.
>>
>>51811952
Ftp? What's that...
>>
>>51811450
NAS
>>
ZFS
F
S
>>
GOOGLE has your answer
O
O
G
L
E
>>
duck it
>>
>>51812763
>proprietary file system
>>
>>51812200
file transfer protocal.

Also, just get an old computer with a lot of HDD space (and internet capabilities), install a very lightweight linux distro, then install Teamviewer. Take the monitor away, and bam. You have a headless file transferring server.

Keep the server on at all times, and then you can remote access it anywhere you have internet.
>>
>>51813405
Your post confuses me.

>ZFS was originally implemented as open-source software, licensed under the Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)
>Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL) is a free software license
>>
>>51813484
>Teamviewer
wut?
>>
>>51813614
I think he means that it's part of Oracle's botnet now
>>
>>51811450
Slap a Linux distro on, use some option that gives you some redundancy (mdadm software RAID, ZFS), install Samba.

Should easily be fast enough to easily saturate a typical 1Gbps network you're likely to have at home.
>>
>>51813686
Yeah okay, I'll give him that.
>>
>>51813687
>redundancy
>home server
>>
>>51813753
It should be quite obvious what I'm talking about from the post.
>>
>>51813642
lets you remote access to a computer from your phone or another computer
>>
>>51813687
>Linux
>storage server
ZFS and good networking platforms or bust, Solaris or another BSD.
>>
>>51811450
Your easiest option if you're not buying pre made stuff is installing nas4free on some computer and attaching a bunch of disks to it. This will be the least amount of work to get a network attached storage thing up and running.
>>
>>51813811
>teamviewer for remoting a linux server
just an hero you are self please.
>>
>>51814230
>thinking that a beginner to simple servers would really care how they access it.
Why do you have to be so negative, man?
>>
>>51814375
>overcomplicating shit for a beginner instead of just telling the poor guy to use ssh
wew lad
>>
>>51814467
>teamviewer
>complicated
>>
>>51814626
>shitty proprietary software
>not overly complicated
>>
>>51814626
Compared to ssh, fuck yes it is.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.