[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Apple decided to release OSX as a standalone OS for non-Apple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: apple battlestation.jpg (480 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
apple battlestation.jpg
480 KB, 800x600
If Apple decided to release OSX as a standalone OS for non-Apple systems, how would this change the OS market?
>>
>>51810996
OSX is already a fucking joke in stability even on a single fixed hardware platform.
>>
>>51811062
Wrong
>>
File: 1446785782653.jpg (6 KB, 282x109) Image search: [Google]
1446785782653.jpg
6 KB, 282x109
>>51810996
>apple logo as wall decoration
>framed ipod ad stills
>>
>>51810996
I guess more companies would see a profit in supporting OSX if it were like windows.
>>
Probably wouldn't have a *massive* effect at first, though I'm pretty happy running it on my system.
>>
>>51811223
>though I'm pretty happy eating shit from my hands

You need professional help.
>>
>>51810996
lol that room
>>
>>51811112
You on crack son?
>>
>>51811062

OS X is fine, it's the shoddy hardware that holds it back these days. Intel integrated graphics just aren't sufficient for powering these 2880x1800 displays with the animations and effects the OS X team wants to use, and the Core-M processor in the 2015 Macbook is a tablet SoC that's weaker than the 2011 Macbook Air.

Throw OS X on a Mac Pro and it's smooth as butter and solid as rock. It's the MacBooks that are garbage.
>>
File: 1449768376594.jpg (89 KB, 512x382) Image search: [Google]
1449768376594.jpg
89 KB, 512x382
>>51810996
>that back wall
>those mcdonalds employee of the month awards
>>
>>51810996
This picture makes me irrationally angry
Why oh why would you want to stare at a big framed company logo all day as if its some artwork?
tldr Apple keks are the worst
>>
File: AndroidCucks.png (37 KB, 637x310) Image search: [Google]
AndroidCucks.png
37 KB, 637x310
>>51811146
>>
>>51811442
>I'll never seriously date a guy who doesn't eat shit from his hands. I'm sorry. But never.
>>
>>51810996

Nobody would buy Macs any more, just like the last time Apple allowed clones to run their OS (back in the 90s)
>>
With how Microsoft is handling Windows right now I think it would be perfect. I think the real challenge is what to charge to make decent profit and the hardware support to come after.
>>
>>51811323
So what you're saying is that Apple screws themselves over by not using better hardware and overcharging for pure rubbish
>>
>>51810996
People would realize Windows is actually far more stable for what it does, running on any of trillions of configurations, while 99% of new OSX buyers are greeted with kernel panics on boot.
>>
>>51812156
The Mac hardware was out of control in the 90's but thats a good point.
>>
>>51810996
not a bit.

OSbabbies will still use Windows
OShackers will still use Linux
OShipsters will still use OSX
>>
It wouldn't.
At least not much
Hipsters already have macbooks
The few professionals who prefer, or have to, use OSX can already afford a mac pro
And most normies don't want to use any system that is not windows, even though they only use the web browser and nothing else.
>>
99% of consumers wont even understand what that means

the rest already know about hackintosh, which is good enough
>>
>>51812210

>while 99% of new OSX buyers are greeted with kernel panics on boot.

At least when you try to shill Windows, try not to make up random bullshit about stuff you don't even understand.

>trillions of configurations

Oh you mean like the ability to turn off system updates or services like Cortana etc.

Autism is unbelievably strong in this one.
>>
>>51811323
>Intel integrated graphics just aren't sufficient for powering these 2880x1800 displays
that's why they have dedicated gpu options
and even hd 4000 can support 4k just fine, it's the os that sucks dick
>>
>>51811442
I wish this was still a big thing.

Halves the population of dopey cunts that you can accidentally go out with.
>>
>>51810996
Apple would go out of business because no one would buy their hardware anymore, so OSX would go, too.
>>
I'd dualboot it.
>>
All the normies that think apple is a godsend would go out and upgrade to it

Then when it ran like shit on their $300 generic laptop and not the same as the rMPB in the applestore theyd get upset and riot and call apple shit

OSX usage would increase then decrease because normies think that it would make their machine exactly like a mac
>>
>>51812210
Actually this.

Although, I have to say Apple has so much money and clout in the IT industry right now, it wouldn't take them more than 1-2 years to make everyone ship Apple drivers with their hardware.

I used to think unlocking OSX from their hardware would be a good thing (for them), because it can be a vector for your marketing, you can make people buy your stuff more if you can use it to advertise for your hardware. You could tell them "this is just a preview of the quality of user experience you could have if you bought our hardware too". But it might be too much expense with providing support and R&D to support every possible hardware manufacturer, just for a few extra buyers.
>>
>>51813324
>Apple makes most of their sales in the PC business

kek
>>
More third-party developers would be nice.
>>
>>51812204
it would be straight retarded, they'd cannibalize their own hardware sales to compete with windows and linux which are gratis
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.