[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch linux setup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1441969604817.jpg (147 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1441969604817.jpg
147 KB, 640x1136
Hey /g/. Ubuntu fag here, show me how to install arch from ubuntu and help me escape my betaness. I already have arch live CD on a USB
>>
>>51807591
well plug it in and boot from it, and use the fucking wiki, its there for a goddam reason
>>
>>51807591
the wiki is the best thing about arch

use it
>>
>>51807591
who is the semen demon ?
>>
>>51807591
>>
Arch is installed. How do I make it comfy?
directly log into openbox and stuff like that.
>>
>>51808037
Step 1. Google the thing you want to do
>>
>>51808037
Read the wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox
>>
This thread is so much Arch, but seriously.

You can say google it or read this or whatever to so many things. Just tell the OP what he wants. He obviously wants a condensed version
>>
>>51808577
The arch wiki is so great that it has an installation tutorial and a condensed version of the installation tutorial.

If OP isn't willing to use the wiki to install Arch he will either be one of those that say arch is unstable (because he failed to follow the instructions properly) or can simply use manjaro or antergos and fuck off
>>
>>51807881
instagram.com/anappaulaallvees
>>
The arch wiki is shit, it does not really explain partitioning before installing and easy to mess up the bootloader because nothing is really explained. It is a good wiki if you already are a expert, it does not explain much
>>
>>51808739
You should learn how to read, they literally have a step-by-step guide on partitioning and setting up a boot loader and link to other pages of the wiki for further details
>>
>installing arch by hand

there is no need to do this. google "architect arch installer"
>>
>>51807591
That girl will probably grow up to be a lawyer or a doctor.
>>
>>51809741
or even both
>>
>>51809725
It's not hard and doesn't take very long to "install it by hand".
>>
File: 1343660560611.gif (929 KB, 319x240) Image search: [Google]
1343660560611.gif
929 KB, 319x240
>>51807591
Arch isn't about "not being a beta", idiot.

Arch is about being a lazy faggot who wants to set up everything from scratch rather than deal with downstream developer nonsense.

If you don't classify as that kind of user, then Arch is not meant for you. Arch will not make you some kind of 1337 hacker or make your computer easier to use if you don't already know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
File: archbloat.png (8 KB, 669x67) Image search: [Google]
archbloat.png
8 KB, 669x67
>>51809816
seems like your distro still gets plenty of bloat included
>>
FFS! Just dl Debian netinstall or Ubuntu Minimal and build from there.
>>
>>51809816
>Arch is about being a lazy faggot who wants to set up everything from scratch
>being a lazy faggot who wants to set everything up from scratch
>lazy
>setting everything up from scratch

You literally make no sense
>>
>>51811018
the iso includes both the x86 and x64 version of the install media

>>51811079
for actual minimalism debian is much better than arch
>>
>>51811018
I didn't use the word bloat a single time in my post. I don't have a problem with bloat; I have a problem with having to deal with stupid default configurations.

>>51811114
>hurr durr partitioning my disks and running pacstrap is hard
It's easier to just set everything up the way I want it the first time rather than reconfigure the default shit to actually fucking work for the janky shit that I want to do on my system.

That, and getting bleeding edge software is easy as fuck in Arch, since it all gets packed up into AUR without any of the annoying overhead of waiting for stable builds to come about.

Arch is a mess, but it's significantly more convenient than other distros, depending on what you want to do on your computer. Again, if you find the hacky silliness of Arch more of an inconvenience than a way to enable you to be a lazy fuck, then you aren't part of Arch's target demographic.
>>
>>51807591

spotty tits
>>
>>51807591
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux

literally the link
>>
installing isnt so bad..its what u do afterwards. it will take a ton of trial and error and broken installations just so sift through all the garbage software and find an actual good setup...highly reccomend a VM until you get it right op..
>>
File: 1449356777810.png (167 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
1449356777810.png
167 KB, 318x308
>>51807591
>Ubuntu fags don't know how to use search engines
Stick with ubuntu rajeet
>>
>>51808739
was looking at the luks setup yesterday.

kinda easy to get lost in it, and didn't really want to commit to it, so I will do it another time.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.