[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just got a new laptop for Christmas. Should I downgrade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: windows-10-logo.jpg (65 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-logo.jpg
65 KB, 800x523
So I just got a new laptop for Christmas.
Should I downgrade from the built-in Windows 10 back down to 7?
I wanna go back to 7 since it's what i'm used to, but if 10 really is better then I might as well stick with it.
>>
make your own fucking decisions you tool
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
Stay with Windows 10 anon. All this botnet thing is just the collective paranoia of /g/ because they can't read a fucking Privacy Policy.
>>
File: windows 10 privacy statement.jpg (141 KB, 920x784) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 privacy statement.jpg
141 KB, 920x784
>>51805694
>because they can't read a fucking Privacy Policy.
you are retarded. it's not paranoia, microsoft themselves say that they are spying on their users
>>
File: PARJEET.jpg (135 KB, 618x505) Image search: [Google]
PARJEET.jpg
135 KB, 618x505
>>51804651
First thing in the morning, what do I see? A pile of shit staring at me. I close my eyes, I step away. No matter where I go, there’s no getting away. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo?

I step out on the street. What do I smell? Shit that’s stinky to high hell. I hold my breath, I step away. But everywhere I go, there’s no getting away.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo.

Shit, not shit, this shit, that shit. Let’s see now. Let me check. Happy birthday. Happy birthday.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
>>
Upgrade to GNU
https://www.fsf.org/windows8
>>
>>51805730
I can't believe this video is by UNICEF
>>
Install Arch.

You'll thank me later.
>>
>>51805720
First of all, even Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 users are getting Updates that enable that data collection anyway. Second point is that you can disable most of the spying shit easily.
>>
>>51805749
Memes aside, designated shitting streets is a serious health problem.
>>
>>51805754
Actually I'm a windows 7 user and I don't receive any updates. Including the one prompting me to "upgrade" to 10.
>>
File: 1446497955151.jpg (85 KB, 650x780) Image search: [Google]
1446497955151.jpg
85 KB, 650x780
No vendor went through the trouble of porting drivers for brand new hardware to some old ass OS. Older versions of Unix based systems won't probably work as well. You should either stay on W10 (since you already paid for it) or go for newest versions of other operating systems if you don't want trouble setting them up.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51805760
>>51805730
India has a space program you dumb bitch mother fucker. We will be a superpower by the year 2030 and we well fuck you up good.
>>
>>51805780
>I don't receive any updates

your windows update service is broken. typical sign of the prescense of malware/rootkit on your sytsem
>>
>>51805694
reddit.com
go back home
>>
File: 2015-12-07_18-15-23.png.jpg (579 KB, 1307x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07_18-15-23.png.jpg
579 KB, 1307x768
>>51805720
>The data we collect depends of the services and features you use.
>You have choices about the data we collect.
It is paranoia, because anon believe Microsoft may broke their own ToS and Privacy Policies for whatever reason, putting in risk the whole company.
>>
File: Sheep-single.jpg (60 KB, 640x501) Image search: [Google]
Sheep-single.jpg
60 KB, 640x501
>he trusts proprietary software
>>
>>51805906
>he trust a neckbeard in a basement.
>>
File: ou3Uevx.gif (967 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
ou3Uevx.gif
967 KB, 245x180
>>51805797
>>
You mean upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 10 is way worse
>>
>>51804651
make your own decision. i have upgraded and i am not going to tell you shit. learn through trial and error.

fucking freetard niggers call every windows user a shill, i stopped giving advice.
>>
>>51804651

>but if 10 really is better then I might as well stick with it.

Troll better, faggot.
>>
First thing in the morning, what do I see? A pile of shit staring at me. I close my eyes, I step away. No matter where I go, there’s no getting away. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo.

Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo?

I step out on the street. What do I smell? Shit that’s stinky to high hell. I hold my breath, I step away. But everywhere I go, there’s no getting away.

Shit, not shit, this shit, that shit. Let’s see now. Let me check. Happy birthday. Happy birthday.

Joining poo
>>
>>51805915
That neckbear in the basement ensures you are able to have as much control as possible over your system.
>>
>>51805730
>>51806297
i hope you die painfully and slowly from the very ass cancer that you spread in these threads.

it was fun for the first 1000 times, now its not.
>>
>>51806271
The sad truth.
>>
>>51806318
>First thing in the morning, what do I see? A pile of shit staring at me. I close my eyes, I step away. No matter where I go, there’s no getting away. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo.
>Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo?
>I step out on the street. What do I smell? Shit that’s stinky to high hell. I hold my breath, I step away. But everywhere I go, there’s no getting away.
>Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo.
>Shit, not shit, this shit, that shit. Let’s see now. Let me check. Happy birthday. Happy birthday.
>Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo.
>Joining poo

I'm not the OP of the poo shit, but fuck this OP.
>>
>>51805877

>putting in risk the whole company.

hahahahaha, implying the companies don't do illegal shit all the time.

made me chuckle but also astonished at your naivete.
>>
>First thing in the morning, what do I see? A pile of shit staring at me. I close my eyes, I step away. No matter where I go, there’s no getting away. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo. Take your poo to the loo.
>Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, everywhere. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, next to you. Poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, where is that loo?
>I step out on the street. What do I smell? Shit that’s stinky to high hell. I hold my breath, I step away. But everywhere I go, there’s no getting away.
>Shit, not shit, this shit, that shit. Let’s see now. Let me check. Happy birthday. Happy birthday.
>>
Tbh do a fresh install of Windows 10. Fuck the botnet, its just the manufacture bullshit that kills me

Using Windows 7 is just stupid. I wont even consider 8.

As for Linux, I personally love the idea of linux but there is not enough good and useful software for it.

All the /g/ neets will tell you to use arch to browse 4chan and horde anime images. But youll need to make that decision yourself.
>>
>>51806271
>>51806322

welcome to /g/, where valid opinions based on experience will be shunned in favor of masochist autistic meme standards.
>>
Can't you just use Windows 10 without internet? And install Linux to use internet?
>>
I just installed Windows 10 on my new PC. Why is it that it chooses MBR instead of GPT automatically? Should I go back and install on GPT manually? Is it not 2015?
>>
>>51805694
Nice try Microsoft
>>
>>51806814
> Why is it that it chooses MBR instead of GPT automatically?

Microsoft believes that the reason apple is so popular is because Apple make weird choices for the user and makes it difficult or impossible for the user to do anything else. Which is why you also have forced updates on Windows 10 and why several meetings these days are halted because someone is trying show a PowerPoint when the computer suddenly restarts for updates.

It's considered 'visionary' to not let the users decide. "just like apple"
>>
>>51806926
>cant properly schedule updates or set them to prompt for install / prompt for download

you are not a really techy person...
>>
File: 2015-12-11-211.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-11-211.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
I've had this latitude E6400 since 2010, it's pretty decked out and gets 4 hours of battery, which is pretty good, and it does all the basic tasks I'd need to do, But I was wondering if there is any benefit for me to upgrade to a new core architecture, besides being able to play 4k vids.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Quadro NVS 160M
1440x900 LED

I'm considering getting business laptop with a low wattage CPU, since it would be more powerful than the 35w cpu in this thing.
>>
>>51807342
I forgot to mention it has a 128gb sandisk ssd in it, hence why ive been able to hold onto it for so man years.
>>
>>51805720
> such as credit card number

Into the trash
>>
>>51807342
i've also been using my t61 since 2008, back then it was a beast now i can barely use firefox anymore without the cpu hitting a constant 100%

c2d t7250
4gb ddr2
quadro nvs 140m
1280x800 lcd
120gb kingston v200
gets around 5 hours on full brightness, on the 9cell+ultrabay battery
>>
>>51806746
Whats the point? Then you could just use Linux for everything.
>>
>>51805797
LMAO. The Americans had a space program b4 you niggers knew how to walk. Go make some silk or some shit you hindu
>>
>>51807715
Yeah try using Photoshop or Autocad or Cubase or games on Linux see how that works
>>
>>51805754
>you can disable most of the spying shit easily.

My paranoia has reached a point where that sounds like "we tell you it's disabled but it's just a placebo and we're still collecting your data while you think we're not" to me
>>
>>51805797

Will your Moon colonies have designated shitting streets?
>>
File: FAG.png (645 KB, 722x525) Image search: [Google]
FAG.png
645 KB, 722x525
>>51805806
He just disabled them, you moronic shill
>>
>>51804651
>downgrade windows 10 to 7
that's called an upgrade
>>
>>51805720
Is this data collection only on Microsoft products and apps, or should I be concerned about the transactions and info I'm giving out online as well if I upgrade?
>>
>>51804651
No you dumb fuck windows 7 doesn't have XHCI, it uses old n shitty EHCI which means on newer chipsets which only supports XHCI the USB won't work.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.