[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /G/, bought my first raspberry pi, lets hear some good shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 6
File: DSC_0062.jpg (665 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0062.jpg
665 KB, 2560x1440
Sup /G/, bought my first raspberry pi, lets hear some good shit to try with it?
>>
>>51804396
throw it in a drawer and forget about it.
just saving you the trouble of figuring out that's the only thing you can do.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 410x382) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 410x382
try shoving it up your ass
>>
>>51804396
Use it as an ftp/ssh/whatver server? That's what I did for my first project, and it really helped me learn to use the terminal.
>>
>>51804396
retropie
>>
OwnCloud/Kodi
>>
>install windows IoT on it
>install VS Community 2015
>create a new UWP project
>make an app for it
>showe it into a kiosk with touch screen
>deploy kiosk randomly in the city
>>
>>51804406
/thread
>>
>>51804396
gpio shit

That's basically strongest rpi point, portable-ish low-level i/o thingie (not so low-level, i doubt it's as fast as proper uC and it won't be able to communicate in some faster interfaces but i may be wrong) running straight from system instead of having to program microcontroller and solder the board.
>>
>>51804462
I Windows IoT can use the screen only for debug info.
>>
>>51804396

What is going on with that ethernet cable? Where are the wires?
>>
>>51804406
so fucking true
>>
>>51804396
COMPUTE
UP
YOUR
ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>51804543
>>51804535
>>51804471
>>51804416
>>51804406

consumer sheep /g/ at it again.

>how dare you to have fun with tinkering projects instead of buying consumer ready things and how dare you to have fun with things we do not understand
>>
>>51804611
99% of people who buy a raspberry pi for anything other than robotics or embedded projects just throw it into a drawer and forget about it because it's ridiculously underpowered and is just a reminder of all the cool things you /could/ do with it but don't have the time and/or motivation to bother with.
>>
>>51804611
>SJW pi
>not consumer friendly

lmao @ at ur life
>>
>install OSMC
>hook up to a TV
>play movies and shit
>>
>>51804898
Can the pi even play x264?
Or do you have to stream it?
>>
>>51804799
Shit, has Raspi really gone SJW? Any good alternatives?
>>
>>51804933
yeah, you can smoothly play h.264 in this player that supports videocore. I'm pretty sure i tried it and it worked.
>>
>>51804631
until I moved, I used it as a homeserver.
Does that mean, I am the 1% ?
>>
make a nice steam streaming server whit this little boy
via limelight you can use nvidia's streaming technology through your network and your pi can handle that very well.
played alote of modern titels on this thing
>>
>>51804973
Hope XBMC and OSMC change over to mpv like Plex, that would be great.
>>
File: adaf.png (1 MB, 723x1024) Image search: [Google]
adaf.png
1 MB, 723x1024
>>51804964
>>
lakka.tv and make a good retro console, make it look beautiful
>>
>>51805053

What is OSMC even using, some fucked up fork of MXPlayer?

I hate it
>>
>>51805103
Lady ada is not a sjw. Just a goth kid turned electrical engineer who wants to make e eng available to plebs
>>
>>51805135
ffmeg i think
>>
>>51804799
>>51804964
>>51805103
>>51805147

With this an Raspbi's Gamergate tweets in consideration, can someone give a clear summary of what to make of this? Are Raspbi's kill? Have they become like SJWfox?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>51805184
>>51805184
Ada kinda says it all doesn't she. Fuckin look at her
>>
Maybe find a use for it before buying it?
>>
>>51804396
I made a quite nifty arcade emulator with it to take to friends that you can plug xbox pads into.
>>
>>51804611
>we do not understand

kek what? It's a fucking shitty computer for niggers in africa. Not much to understand anon
>>
>>51804396
build a drone
>>
WHO /PINE64/ HERE?
>>
>>51804396
I have html/ftp/ssh homeserver running 24/7 on model 2 B. Enought computing power, cores, low power consumption.
>>
>>51804611
get a microcontroller faggot
>>
Make it into a GPS-guided cruise missile.
>>
>>51805004
you are such a snowflake!
>>
>>51804964
Everything has. Literally everything. That's the problem with blanket terms/buzz words in the hands of dipshits. Before long they are applied to every goddamn thing someone doesn't like, and all meaning is lost.
>>
with the weird comments saying throw it away or whatever you have to wonder why those people bought in the first place

what were they expecting they could do with it

anyway i just turned mine into a web server / file server that also runs some of my python scripts that i used to run continuously on my main computer. it's a really good source for getting into learning sshing and linux and some slight system administration without fucking up your main computer

though i did buy a camera attachment to it and i've used that thing MAYBE five times, so careful there in that aspect
>>
>>51805660
Hes a special snow flake
>>
>not getting a Pine64+ or olinuxino instead
>>
>>51804396
Install OSMC or OpenELEC and plugins for youtube, twich, genesis, iptv, pushbullet and RSS.
>>
>>51804533
never heard of plastic wires?
>>
>>51805966
this

/thread
>>
>>51805966
>Pine64
>64bit processor
shiieet, thanks for the heads up
>>
>>51804396
>pptpd vpn server
>>
>>51804396
get some accessories for the GPIO like relay boards or LCD monitors etc.

and make them controllable over internet
>>
>>51805796
My guess would be that they bought it because of the initial hype. They were expecting it to be some kind of miracle computer that could replace their desktop/laptop and somehow make them into programmers and electronics geniuses with little to no effort on their part. Then they got them and realized that the PC they had 10 years ago were more powerful, and that they'd need to read and shit to learn how to program, so obviously Raspberry Pis must suck, and everyone else who're interested in them were either retarded noobs or shills. No one could possibly have any use for them beyond that.
>>
>>51805004
No, it just means you've got a shit server, that could have been much better had you not bought the super popular meme computer.
>>
I use mine as mailbox storage using fetchmail procmail and dovecot. If it wasnt for that it would be in a drawer.
>>
>>51805893
For you
>>
I am learning low level C on it. Haven't done anything useful on it though. Using it as a server/mediaplayer sounds retarded in my opinion.
>>
>>51806222
Your router does this faster.
>>
what's /g/'s opinion on UP? Its more expensive than an RPI, but the hardware is actually surprisingly good, like it can bang heads with odroid's top tier stuff, has 32gb of onboard storage, and can use RPi stuff, and the biggest thing
> muh x86
>>
>>51807925
You don't need that much computing power to run a web server, ftp, do media streaming, etc. Buying an actual server to run such lightweight services is beyond retarded.
>>
>>51806716
I'm pretty sure 10 years ago most of the people on this board weren't even old enough to use a computer.
>>
>>51808218
There's a boatload of options between the ass pi and a real server, you just bought it because the internet told you to, not because it's a good fit for the job. (it really isn't)
>>
>>51804611
>tinkering projects
Most people don't do jack shit with them, and those that do here don't even really tinker with them, they just shove some shitty external hard drives on them and call it a "server"
>>
I did a car diagnostics thing with rpi and elm-327 module. Works ok for basic stuff (except VW)
>>
>>51808312
not once have i had problems with it mate, its a headless $35 x64 linux box, i knew what i was getting and got what i expected and it does just about anything you want it to better than you would expect it to

>>51808374
its not an arduino dipshit, what comes to your mind when you say tinkering project
>>
>>51804898
this

The raspberry pi is probably the best, affordable media PC you can buy right now. OSMC is great. What I really want to try now is plex media streaming on it.
>>
>>51808312
name 5
>>
>>51809299
Not him but:
ODroid C1
ODroid XU4
Old IBM Thinkpad
Less old Chinkpad
Your last Desktop/Laptop
>>
>>51809460
So I should replace one small footprint computer with another similar small footprint computer because reasons?
The other few options are still rather overpowered and require much more (unnecessary) power than a pi.
>>
>>51809299
Literally anything with a dedicated ethernet bus.
>>
>>51804396
Using mine to mine for bitcoins.
Purchase a better miner to roi
>>
>>51808928

>its a headless $35 x64 linux box
Actually, it's 32-bit ARM.
>>
>>51809575
He said there were options between a pi and a purpose built server. The ones listed all cost less than a surplussed server, while offering more in the way of performance than a pi. If you already have a pi, then you have a pi. If you have nothing, then one could put that $35 to something more capable for server duties.
The C1 costs the same, has a similar power draw, same size, but can run non-gimped operating systems without choking on simple tasks.
The XU4 is very server oriented, so much so that hardkernel even sells a NAS kit for it.
If you're doing something more compete-intensive, like multiple user streaming, or serving files to multiple users at anything approaching a decent speed, then the others quickly prove their worth.
>>
why would you buy one without knowing what you were going to use it for first?

that just sounds financially irresponsible
>>
>>51809460

>Your last Desktop/Laptop
Fucking this.

>Hmm... I need a server/media center/whatever
>I could use this computer I already have and have already paid for...
>Or I could buy a RPi, because it's only $35.

These people are buying products because they are cheap, not because they need them.
>>
>>51805135

It's just a Kodi skin
>>
>>51804396

You're gonna make it into a Kodi media center, much like 99.8% of people who buy the damn thing.
>>
Install ROS.

And build a robot. Shit has enough processing power to do SLAM.
>>
>>51804462
so you can basically build a Deposit only ATM and move it randomly across town scamming people using a touchscreen a raspberry pi, right?
>>
Make a "clock"
>>
File: 1411847912290[1].jpg (606 KB, 1840x1088) Image search: [Google]
1411847912290[1].jpg
606 KB, 1840x1088
>>51805103
>dyed hair
not even once
>>
>>51805103

hmmm...Lady Ada. The lovely Lady Ada....I'll be in my bunk...
>>
>>51804396
low energy media center/server + torrent client for movies + retroemulators connected to a dumb led tv
somebody knows good controller to use with raspberry pi 2b?, i thinked to use a old ps3 wireless controller but i don't know if that is actually posible
>>
>>51805393
I was able to grab the last early backer, very excited to use it as my media center instead of the PI and use the PI as a server. I hope it can play x264 with 1080p and FLAC
>>
>>51810860
how cynical do you have to be, to literaly start arguing colorfulness is bad?
>>
>>51804396
It's a small computer. You wouldn't buy a full size pc if you didn't have any shit to do with it. That being said there are some cool car pc setups that I've seen
>>
File: internet-white-knight[1].jpg (16 KB, 250x198) Image search: [Google]
internet-white-knight[1].jpg
16 KB, 250x198
>>51813469
>piercings
>glasses
>dyed hair
lol, no
>>
openvpn is probably the only thing it's fit to handle.

>media server
upboat, friend
>>
>>51804439
Yeah, it's good for most 1st and 2nd gen games from what I hear.
>>
>>51804396
Rig it up like you would an arduino, like an automatic door locker or something.
Get the camera you can set up a live video feed somewhere in/around your house.
download OpenWorm and hook it up to an RC vehicle and add some pressure sensors.

Get creative faggot.
>>
>>51808928

3d printer or other CNC machine, robotics, onion router, home automation/security, MAME cabinet/table or other console/portable emulator, DIY Tablet PC, low fi guitar effects pedal, dashboard GPS, Media player and camera for your car, portable FM transmitter, etc.

You could also use it as a central controller for multiple Arduino powered projects. I mean A RPi + Arduino is still cheaper than an Intel Galileo. The RPi + Arduino is comparable to a Galileo, and could be used for nearly anything one might use a Galileo for. For media related projects the RPi does blow the Galileo away. For media projects RPi is the best SBC/SoC in general. That's what it excels at.

I'm a machinist but I mainly do manual machining at work. I am interested in CNC, and am planning to build myself some home machines. We have a CNC mill at work, but it would be nice to have access to a CNC lathe too. I'll probably start with a 3d printer though, because they just look so cool. This isn't necessarily a RPi project, as I began thinking about it before I ever heard of the RPi. The RPi and other similar devices however do open up a lot of possibilities, and potentially drive the costs down and make things simpler.

I've been toying with the idea of making an effects pedal for my bass, out of a RPi + USB sound card. I don't expect it to be anything amazing, but it would be something fun to play around with. Effects pedals can get really expensive, and a lot of them just end up being something you fuck around with but don't use seriously or often. Plus cheap ones often tend to be just that: cheap. I'd expect a PiPedal to be more along the lines of a budget one, except you'd be able to program a wider selection of effects into one pedal, and reprogram it as desired/needed.
>>
>>51815310
>FM
Good post anon. Was going to post about FM transmitter. Kinda freaky that 4chan automatically put that as my my green-text reply. I guess they are keeping track of everything by IP.
>>
>>51806001
Disgusting
>>
>>51805966
Really bummed I bought a banana pro as a server now that the P64 was announced.

Albeit, no SATA on the P64, but it would make a great replacement, so I'll hold off buying it for now.
>>
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-network-that-only-transmits-cat-pictures-with-a-raspberry-pi/

OP do this, except, you know, dick pics.
>>
>>51804396
Burn it
>>
>>51804396
Set up an eBay account with it to buy a rope to kill yourself with.
>>
Add a second network adapter and make it into an isolating tor proxy for your super secret 1337-h4x0r-known-as-fourchannel workstation.
>>
I run 6 slot minecraft server + website + mail server 24/7 on 7 watts of power.

How about it?
>>
File: clockboy.jpg (36 KB, 575x397) Image search: [Google]
clockboy.jpg
36 KB, 575x397
>>51804396
Make a clock
>>
>>51813604
>2016
>thinking alt = sjw
go drink your prune juice grandpa.
>>
>>51816810
>implying it isn't

I got some prune juice for you, faggot
>>
>>51809128
Seconding OSMC. Couple that with a second pi running raspian with sabnzbd, Sonarr, and CouchPotato installed, and an external USB HDD enclosure. It's a really good way to ditch cable/satellite. I can leave the server on 24/7 without sweating power consumption.
>>
>>51808928
It can do alost anything an arduino can do. I have an uno and a pi, and the uno is a bit more friendly in the ee aspect but that doesn't mean I couldn't swap out my pi to take humidity and temperature measurements of my indoor garden if I really wanted to. It's pretty damn versatile if you put the effort in.
>>
>>51805340
Just popping in to say that's a pretty fuckin' neato idea.

Gimme some deets, I'm semi-interested. What games/systems can it emulate up to, what OS do you run on it? How does it perform?
>>
>>51805966
Might get one of these now instead of a Raspberry Pi. The idea was cool when it first came out, but now, as usually happens with a lot of things, it looks like it's been surpassed by something similar but different.
>>
>>51817486
PS1 emulation can be made to work, but only very horribly from what I've read. N64 is doable, but the state of N64 emulation on *nix in general is pretty abysmal.
>>
>>51817678
works fine for me, very little issues, on both the Pi and Pi2, clocked at 1 ghz. tested it with Final Fantasy series as well as Symphony Of The Night. N64 can be hit or miss.
>>
RetroPie for retrogaming
convert an older printer to be a wireless one.
NAS
DLNA box (Kodi/OpenElec/OSMC)
Basic desktop alternative(NOT a replacement for a desktop, however).
Audrino
>>
I've got a question and no /sqg/ thread is up. Emulating old games on my TV without having to move my computer was the primary reason I was thinking about getting a RPi, but was also interested in doing some other stuff like make a semi-autonomous car out of old RC parts just to see if I could.

How does changing the software on it work? Could I have, say, one SD card for the emulating and another for whatever else and swap them out and reboot whenever I wanted to switch?
>>
>>51817950
yes you could just do a card swap, using one for the retro gaming, one for the car project. But honestly, for the price, get a Pi A+ for the car, as they are more meant for specific embedded projects like the car (not to mention they are smaller).
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.