[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a senior in high school wanting to go into Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: programming.jpg (136 KB, 727x427) Image search: [Google]
programming.jpg
136 KB, 727x427
I'm a senior in high school wanting to go into Computer Science. I am in a very successful robotics program and have experience in c++, c#, and g code. What are the most beneficial languages to learn for that field of study?
>>
>>51797961
What are you on about, CS is math. If you want to program fuck off to software engineering pleb.

Was this bait?
>>
>>51797992
Computer Science is merely the study of how Computers work and the willingness to use this knowledge to further advance technology.
>>
>>51797992
So basically. You're saying going into computer science, I wont have to write a single line of code. I don't want to program, I just want to know what languages would be beneficial to learn on my free time.
>>
>>51798066
I'll bite. Check out some Java. Most places want to see Java proficiency. At least where I'm from.
> current CS major.
> second year
> ya there is math but it's not gonna kill ya.
>>
>>51798066
It's less about learning any particular language and more about learning concepts. Once you've got the framework down, it won't take long for you to learn anything you would need to.
>>
>>51798249
This. Also if you can deal with C++ and it's persnickety bullshit you'll be fine in almost everything else.
>>
>>51798228
Thanks. I have a friend in CS and have visited our local colleges CS department. Java did seem like a large part. For the college I want to go to , there's a big emphasis on robotics.
>>
>>51798307
No problem. As for robotics, check out arduino servo motors and the smalltalk language. That might interest you.
>>
So why aren't you doing computer engineering?
>>
>>51798364
I'm trying to decide between Engineering or Science. I'm interested in both. But, cs seems like it could be more beneficial.
>>
>>51798386
with ce you get an actual BE and not just a BS
you also focus on dealing with embedded systems and hardware in general, I.E. robotics

and yes there is coding, lots of it but mostly to do with shit like microprocessors

go with ce if you're interested in hardware at all
>>
hindi
>>
>>51797961
C++ is dead industry wise (have fun competing against 40 year old ultra nerds who have been doing that since they were 13 year old virgins.) Learn some python and java. Both are used heavily in academia and business.
>>
If you want to do robotics, c, c++ and java is the most used languages.
If you go for CS, language should not matter as much, just be ready to pick up a new thing every semester.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.