[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decide to learn about Linux by installing it in my comp.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: confused.png (251 KB, 604x380) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
251 KB, 604x380
So I decide to learn about Linux by installing it in my comp. I ask around and decide to settle for "LinuxMint".

I then proceed to installing the OS and everything goes smoothly. Asks if I want to restart or if I want to keep testing. I restart and get sent straight to Windows(dual booting).

I do a little asking around and reading and discover that I have to install "efibootmgr" and set the boot order to that linux is first.

I install and open the boot list only to find that my installation isn't on the list.

What the actualy fuck /g/?
I've been working my head around this for sometime now and i'm on the verge of giving up.
>>
Did you actually install it, or just run the live ISO?
An install would have included the boot manager.
>>
You might have installed it on the wrong hard drive as well, though I doubt that's the case if you were asked if you wanted to dual boot windows.
>>
>>51796713
I actually went through the installation process, and apparently it doesn't provide one.

>>51796724
I thought that too, so I reinstalled 4 times. And all 4 times it was either I format the drives or the "something else" option.
>>
Go into the bios, then on boot order you should see a Windows and a Linux Mint entry, move the Linux's entry up and you should boot from GRUB, or disable secure boot all along.
>>
>>51796768
tried bios option, to no avail.
>>
>>51796752
Can you get into EITHER operating system? If so, go into either Partition Manager in windows or Gparted in Mint (I think that's included by default with Mint). From there, you should be able to see every install you have on your hard drives. Make sure each is in the right place.
>>
File: ss (2015-12-11 at 09.08.16).png (36 KB, 610x607) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-11 at 09.08.16).png
36 KB, 610x607
>>51796789
>>
>>51796781
is secure boot enabled or is legacy boot?
>>
>>51796818
neither is enabled.
>>
>>51796822
Okay, that's probably why. Legacy boot normally needs to be enabled to install a Linux distro properly. Try deleting those Linux partitions, enable legacy boot, and attempt reinstall.
>>
File: 1-130G9110352.jpg (46 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1-130G9110352.jpg
46 KB, 500x667
>>51796822
>>
>>51796840
Will I have to keep it enabled forever or can I just disable it after I install and boot into it once?
>>
>>51796840
So I just went and checked the BIOS to see whether or not it's in legacy mode. It's in a "Legacy+UEFI" mode. Is this where I give up and end up never learning how to use linux or even installing it properly?
>>
>>51796880
I'm not positive. It's not like it's really impacting you one way or the other, "legacy" is just a word they used. Technically, you are using UEFI boot and not BIOS, so BIOS is legacy.

>>51796998
Well, you can and I wouldn't blame you. But Legacy + UEFI should work. After you go through BIOS, does any operating system boot at all?
>>
>>51796998
Select UEFI mode, then go to boot order, then select mint, if not working, then select only legacy support, see if you can boot to mint, if not reinstall mint with legacy option enabled.
>>
>>51797110
Yea I can boot into windows because it's the only thing that exists.

>>51797112
Done that already. Still no changes.
>>
>>51797203
Did you do a reinstall with the Legacy only option selecten on the BIOS?
>>
>>51797203
Okay, so it still sounds like a problem with UEFI.

Delete the Linux partitions, extend the disk to fill those spaces, then read this: https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/821007-how-to-install-linux-on-a-windows-machine-with-uefi-secure-boot

I can't really help any more through this method, so...good luck. And don't give up.
>>
>>51796688
It should work like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_4oQixbV_U
I haven't had any problem installing mint.
>>
>>51797235
OP here
I have no Legacy option only in the UEFI.

>>51797257
>>51797272
Will look through both. Will try out either solution a few times. If I don't post back on the board assume i've killed myself.
>>
Yea I give up. Fuck me for trying to learn something new.
>>
>>51797527
Newer version of Windows have done basically everything possible to make dual-booting impossible.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.