[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I gotta pick one for my degree which would you rather?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault (3).jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (3).jpg
14 KB, 480x360
I gotta pick one for my degree
which would you rather?
>>
>>51795880
I'd rather die.
>>
>>51795880
Java unfortunately has accumulated a huge amount of technical debt over the years. C# has learned from many of Java's design flaws which makes it a nicer language to use. That doesn't however mean it has better jobs or pay, just that using it is better.
>>
>>51795880
C# is less buggy and is more modern.
>>
Java is a vulnerable shitty pos, go with c, then learn c++
>>
>>51795880
C#, after C++
>>
If you know one, you'll pick up the other faster than any other language. Only absolute sperglords will pretend they're absolutely different languages, which kind of makes me glad I was rejected for this job that thought I wasn't capable of Java after doing an internship in C#.
>>
>>51795880
doesn't matter either one you pick you'll end up looking at shitty code written by some indian
>>
>>51795880
C#
I work with C# professionally. I regulary work wtih ASP.NET MVC and ASP.NET Web API and I couldn't be happier. Java was my first language but I feel like C# is ahead of the curve in comparison to Java. In my experience it is easier to get a job knowing C#, the demand for developers knowing it over Java seems to be pretty noticeable in my area.
>>
>>51795880
>I gotta pick one for my degree
>which would you rather?
I would rather you switched to a real degree, because this certainly ain't one.
>>
>>51795942
>vulnerable
Ahahahaha please be trolling
>>
>>51796031
It's funny cause its true.
>>
>>51795880
Java or C# your still gonna get keked by thousands of indians.
>>
>>51795880
>I gotta pick one for my degree

What the fuck? What kind of degree only teaches one language? Why is there even a language associated with the degree instead of learning programming concepts so you can pick up any language you need to?
>>
>>51796019
its information systems
>>
>>51796031
There have been a lot of vulnerabilities in Java in 2015. But its nothing in comparison to the amount of vulnerabilities you will see with PHP.
>>
>>51795880
Java

I'm learning Scala and it gets compiled into Java bytecode.

C# is a dead end language
>>
>>51796061
THIS
FUCKING THIS
>>
Java is better for jobs. Won't C# be exchanged for swift now anyway?
>>
>>51796068
A language can't have vulnerabilities, you moron.
>>
>>51796144
The JRE can which is used to run Java programs.
>>
>>51796085
Excellent troll post, Ranjeep.
>>
>>51795880
Java would be more preferable given that choice just as 'C' would be preferable to 'C++'.
>>
>>51796177
Meanwhile, C and it's progeny encourage creation of exploitable code. (Heartbleed anyone?)
>>
C# for me. It was the first language I learnt and I'm pretty comfortable with it.
I prefer c++ though, but c# was a great entry for it.
>>
>>51796245
I never mentioned C, someone else did. I've only compared C# to Java based on my professional experience.
>>
>>51796094
You're thinking of objective-c. C# is Microsoft.
>>
OP here
i see java is on codeacademy
is that worth taking?
>>
>>51796372
Like someone mentioned earlier, learning the programming concepts is what really matters. If you know the concepts you can pick up on almost any language because its just syntax at that point.
>>
>>51796372
Codecademy is awful

official Java tutorial's good:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
>>
>>51796372
if it's for free, sure
>>
>>51796061
>study math
>learn C

WHY DIDN'T THEY TEACH YOU ALL THE LANGUAGES!?!?!
>>
>>51795880
Wtf? Since when there are degrees for fucking java/c#?
>>
>>51796329
Of course, that's embarrassing... It's 2:40 at night, I blame it on that. I really knew that already
>>
>>51796437
Try reading again?
>>
doesn't matter after you graduate
>>
why are you even going to school?
>>
>>51795880
Where do you want to work? See what's desired of applicants in your local area (or wherever you want to work).
>>
>>51796437
I'm assuming it's just some classes OP has to take that come in various flavors.
>>
>>51796531
Then op should look into c++
>>
Arduino language. It's all the rage.
>>
>>51795880
There is some seriously bad advice in this thread.

Either one is fine, as they are very similar. If you are worried about jobs, look in the area you'd want a job and see how many jobs there are for each.

In general C# is always a Microsoft based shop which is a different tech stack vs Java which is run on mostly Linux devices (although is it perfectly capable of running on Windows as well).

Learning the fundamentals of any language is good as you will be able to pick up another relatively quickly.

The only real affect of this choice is the existing ecosystems you'll learn to use surrounding either language.

Once you learn particular libraries and learn how to leverage them to accomplish particular task in one language, it's a bit more work to learn a new language, idioms, libraries etc...but certainly not impossible. It just takes time. I've used 3 languages over my career and it's never really painful but refreshing to see different ways of going about software/see the pro's/con's and give s you a good eye for analysis in terms of software design/architecture.

tl;dr the choice isn't as important as you'd think.
>>
>>51795880
Suicide.

But really, C# or even better: A non-Java JVM language.

You should learn all of them anyway.
>>
Pick both. Once you know the (dis)advantages of the languages, you will be able to determine which language fits the best for your next projects and situations.
>>
Please consider the fact that you will be tied to using Visual Studio if you ever want to use C#. That means you have to stay up to date with windows systems as they deprecate the past visual studio versions so that you have to upgrade to both the current OS and the current VS.

Java is okay. It's not bad but you do miss out on a lot of the fun of languages like c++ with the pointers and memory handling. Beyond that, it's like any other programming language. Arbitrary details aside. In fact, I think I'm going to work on some java now.
>>
>>51795880
C# is a better language, greatly encumbered with its unbreakable ties to Microsoft.

Java is an awful language with a wonderful cross platform ecosystem and numerous high quality language alternatives that have perfect JVM support. The java world is also almost entirely free software, and an enterprise vendor here and there.
>>
>>51795880

C#. It's all around a better language, and you probably have more options in terms of what you can do. You can do ASP.NET, you can do WPF or WinForms desktop apps, you can do "Universal" apps, and it looks like the ASP server side will be heading toward Linux, making it much more practical for a lot of webby stuff.

And yeah, you can do just about anything with Java, but in my opinion a lot of it is just shittier. Java on the desktop is always horrific, but I'm sure you could do big Enterprise applications until you keeled over and died of boredom.
>>
>>51796245
>shitty programmers write shitty code
Stop the fucking presses.
>>
>>51796057
>your
you mean you're
>keked by thousands of indians
I have yet to meet anyone from India where I work.
>>
>>51796372
Learn Java first if you want, it'll make you appreciate C# even more, especially if you've worked in C or C++ in the past.
>>
>>51795880
c# easily
>>
>>51797909
This is false Microsoft provides runtimes for previous versions of Visual Studio builds.

Besides nothing is stopping you from using Xamarin or other C# based IDEs.
>>
>>51799174
I guess I failed to mention that I couldn't install any of the required packages because my win7 SP1 install would freeze for an indefinite amount of time.

And I'd never known about Xamarin and all that. I hope they're not the shit fest that Eclipse is.
>>
>>51796014

this.
>>
>>51795942
>>vulnerable

Your opinion in invalid, and everything else you comment about can be safely disregarded.

You should at least Google to find out why you're so wrong: You owe it to yourself to not look like an idiot again; here your protected by anonymity, in real life you won't have that benefit and you'll reveal yourself to be a moron.
>>
>>51798923

>>More options in what you can do

You must be joking?

C# more versatile than Java? Not a fucking chance.

Laughably wrong.
>>
>>51799457
>I guess I failed to mention that I couldn't install any of the required packages because my win7 SP1
Weird, anyways at the company I work at we have dev machines running 7 and 8 and it was only recently that we upgraded to 2013, we had been using 2010 in the past.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.