[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a good investment to study Computer Science now? Do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: vacuumtubes.jpg (83 KB, 440x200) Image search: [Google]
vacuumtubes.jpg
83 KB, 440x200
Is it a good investment to study Computer Science now?

Do you guys have stats on the status on the industry? Is it shrinking or growing, and if the latter, is the growth getting faster or slower?

In terms of job demand and salary expectations, for Computer Science in general and mostly programming although I wouldn't mind doing something else.

I was going through StackOverflow stats but they are SJW fucks that mix the first world with shits like India and Iran and do stats on caffeine usage and dont bring up salaries evolution.

pic unrelated
>>
>>51790901
I got a job out of college for 100k base salary. I'm flunking a class right now so hopefully I'll be able to actually get to my job.
Don't do CS though, Rajessh will replace you. Do something useful like English.
>>
>>51790962
>Don't do CS though, Rajessh will replace you. Do something useful like English.
?
>>
>>51790972
CS is a meme degree, don't do it.
>>
>>51790901

If I were 18 again, here's what I would do:

1) One year at some shitty job. This is to establish a baseline. Ignore if you already worked at McDonald's in high school.

2) Minimum three months traveling abroad, preferably one year. The gap year tradition is brilliant, and completely unheard of in the US.

3) Some coding bootcamp.

4) Just work your way up from there.

Then, when you're somewhere between 25 - 35, when you've either burned out or your body is wrecked, THEN go to college. You'll have a much greater understanding of who you are, what you're really interested in, and how to just basically handle yourself. Holy shit, in retrospect, when I finished college I though, "ah, the hard work is over, time for fun work!" Nope. My first year of real professional work made college look like the kindergarten joke that it is.

BTW, this assumes you're actually smart and good with computers. A smart person can learn what they need to know about Big-O and computer fundamentals. You don't really need to know about finite automata and the halting problem to create real value for businesses.
>>
If you're going to an Ivy then CS will teach you a lot. If you're going to a lesser school then pick a different STEM major like math, physics, or EE because the CS program will probably be a bullshit vocational degree
>>
>>51790962
English? Really?

A sperg considering CS probably doesn't have the aptitude to to write novels or teach grammar to highschool kids.
>>
>>51791022
>1) One year at some shitty job. This is to establish a baseline. Ignore if you already worked at McDonald's in high school.
>2) Minimum three months traveling abroad, preferably one year. The gap year tradition is brilliant, and completely unheard of in the US.
>3) Some coding bootcamp.
what if there are no coding jobs anymore by then?
>>
>>51791059
NEET
>>
>>51791081
the neet life man, good call

im in

seriously though does anyone have stats on the industry? im curious

and what do you guys think will happen with the leftover professionals if rajesh replaces all of us? will we create computer security jobs for each other by fucking shit up?
>>
>>51791054
English is actually a good general-purpose degree (which is the point of liberal arts curricula). My roommate got a BA in English and became an investment bank analyst. You learn how to communicate and think critically, which are huge skills for most occupations.
>>
>>51790901
>Do you guys have stats on the status on the industry? Is it shrinking or growing, and if the latter, is the growth getting faster or slower?
The field is breaking apart. Until recently, CS was just CS. The same qualifications were required for everything, regardless of how little individual tasks might resemble each other. It was like hiring a mechanical engineer to work on designing motorcycle engines but requiring them to have experience in designing airplanes, bridges, and street intersections. In flyoverland it still is that way.

Today, the blanket "Computer Science" is breaking into distinct categories. Software Engineering focuses on building big, complex projects with lots of people; it's mostly about communication, software design/architecture, and keeping scope constrained. Data Science focuses on manipulating and interpreting large datasets. It's mostly about algorithm design and application, visualization, etc. Web Development focuses on building and deploying applications to the internet. It's mostly about UX, interpreting requirements, and correctly using tools and frameworks.

If you want to be a web developer, attend a coding bootcamp and practice your design and implementations. Learn Javascript, and practice with the latest frameworks and deployment platforms.

If you want to be a software engineer, get a bachelors degree and find internships. Learn a lot of programming languages, and practice with as many libraries as you can find. Make sure you understand test driven development and software project lifecycles.

If you want to be a data scientists, gets a master's degree and write a thesis on something innovative. Learn R, practice with a lot of different data storage solutions (old-school SQL, document models like Mongo, graph models like Neo4j, etc) and make sure you understand linear algebra and relational calculus.
>>
>>51791059
Then the sun must have exploded or a meteor must have hit the earth, because with the way things are going, there won't be a lot of jobs OTHER than coding in the future.
>>
CS degrees have been devalued in the workplace, because companies are looking for software developers and CS teaches you about as much about software development as a stats degree does.

Now that we've had slightly more than fifteen years of constant blogs, news articles, and industry white papers about the shortage of qualified developers and the epidemic of CS graduates who can't even do fizz buzz or other basic white board tests; we're starting to see a shift to more focused degrees:

IS degrees, CIS degrees, SE degrees, CE degrees sought for specific tasks rather than expecting anyone with a CS degree to be qualified.

It's still a good degree (if that's what you want to do), but there are better programs to take for things like software dev or info sec.
>>
>>51790901

It's shrinking quicker than my penis does whenever I see your mother
>>
Is cs only a meme if you go to a shit uni but good if you go to a highly respected institution with good employment connections
>>
>>51791841
info?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.