[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving from corporate .NET Windows land to startup hipster OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: MACBOOKPRO.jpg (185 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
MACBOOKPRO.jpg
185 KB, 1200x630
Moving from corporate .NET Windows land to startup hipster OS X Silicon Valley to start a new job in a couple weeks.

I'm pretty familiar with OS X, but I've never really used it for dev. Tell me what you like.
> Command line GIT or GUI client?
> Favorite Editor/IDE?
> Terminal Addons/Replacement?
> Package Manager?
> Finder Addons/Replacement?
> Any other favorite program?
>>
>>51789936
If youre going to write some Mac software, be adviced, GUI client is the way to go, unless it's some niche finicky thing, even then, GUI is the way to go.
OS X terminal shouldn't need to be replaced, it's pretty god tier.
Good luck trying to replace Finder, it's always running and the system doesn't like it when it's not.
>>
>>51789936

> Command line GIT or GUI client?
depends what you're doing, command line will be fine for basic stuff

> Favorite Editor/IDE?
Depends what you're programming, front end web dev go with Brackets, sublime for pretty much all else, python go with pycharm

> Terminal Addons/Replacement?
pip, homebrew

transmit is a great ftp client
>>
File: 1448820349118.jpg (232 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
1448820349118.jpg
232 KB, 1500x1120
>>51789936
>going to start eating shit from my hands in a couple weeks

Why would anyone do this?
>>
Once you install Xcode, git is available from command line, but is up to your taste.
People seem to like iTerm2 as a terminal replacement but the vanilla terminal is pretty fine as it is, if you don't care too much.
Homebrew seems to be the "in" package manager right now, is pretty good, and doesn't require sudo (it does everything in /usr/bin/)
I haven't done anything with Finder, but bear in mind that you'll need to disable System Integrity Protection to use any Finder mods now.

Other than that, some usual "Go To" apps are:
- Caffeine: Simple "disable screensaver" toggle that sits in the menu bar
- Flux: You probably already know
- VLC or MPV: (you can install mpv using homebrew) for more media playback than QuickTime since apple keked extensions.
- Handbrake: Convert anything to mp4/h.264.Not mac specific but useful to have.
- Pixelmator: Cheap photoshop alternative on the App Store. Has quite a following and is actually a really nice photoshop alternative for a pretty reasonable price.
- Transmission: The Go-To bittorrent client. It doesn't suck on OSX and Linux
- The Unarchiver: useful for opening 7zip, rar and probably some other stuff that OSX can't unzip itself (OSX can unzip most other common formats like zip, tar, tar.gz and tar.bz2)
- Sublime Text 2: or whatever other text editor you like
- smcFanControl: lets you monitor CPU temp and fan speed, and also manually increase the minimum fan speed (if you prefer it to run cooler on your lap). You can only set a minimum speed, not a maximum/specific speed.

Cant think of many more but I'm sure some others will comment.
>>
>>51789998
Finder is my biggest problem with OS X, why the fuck isn't snap to grid the default, and why is it so difficult for me to see the full directory tree. I guess it would be fine if I'm only using it for storing my chinese cartoons.
Never realized how based explorer was until I had to use finder.

>>51790220
Double my salary, get paid to learn, catch the bay area bubble before it pops, experience city life while i'm young,

>>51790099
>>51790256
ty anons. Will mostly be writing in python and go, with some front end. I like JetBrains IDEs so if I end up writing enough python, i'll try out pycharms
>>
File: 1448871149822.jpg (202 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
1448871149822.jpg
202 KB, 1200x627
>>51790319
>get paid to eat shit from my hands
>>
>>51790319
Snap to grid works when you enable it in view settings (cmd+j)

You can view the file path by showing the bottom bar, right clicking the folder name in the top bar of the window or you can just drag and drop the file/directory in terminal/just about any other text field.
>>
>>51790319
Ive not done any serious python, but I believe OSX comes with Python preinstalled. if not, it must definitely come with Xcode/Xcode Command Line Tools
>>
>>51790256

>Homebrew seems to be the "in" package manager right now, is pretty good, and doesn't require sudo (it does everything in /usr/bin/)

Where can I learn about the terminal command line for mac I find it so god damn confusing. Sudo hardly ever works, I dont know what the hell /usr/bin refers to or why its different, wth is the point of a package manager when I can just install it using a gui?

Just general shit like that, where can I learn more about the subject? I know the basic commands and how to navigate using terminal but thats about it.
>>
>>51790604
>where can I learn more about eating shit from my hands

Macrumors has you covered.
>>
>>51790669

You realize you're autistic, right?
>>
>>51790835
>eats shit from his hands
>calls someone else autistic
>>
>>51790604
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/OpenSource/Conceptual/ShellScripting/Introduction/Introduction.html
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.