[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
windows + linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 7bFLG.png.jpg (314 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
7bFLG.png.jpg
314 KB, 1366x768
What's the best way to run Windows and Linux at the same time? I want:

>windows
>games/game dev

>linux
>browsing
>email
>docs
>youtube/twitch/netflix

is this possible in a convenient performant way?
>>
>>51788672
why the fuck would you want to do all that other shit in linux when you could easily do it in windows?
>>
>>51788672
>netflix
>linux
>gg
>>
>>51788672
>windows
>any kind of development
oh god OP please stop, you're bringing back a lot of horrible and painful memories.

If you want "at the same time", then most probably your only way will be to run a virtual machine.
A long time ago there was thing thing called Cooperative Linux when people tried to run the Linux Kernel as a process inside Winblows, but it didn't really gain much traction the last time I checked.
>>
>>51788741
most commercial game development is done in windows unfortunately. a lot of the tools and engines are windows only
>>
>>51788696
because microsoft have declared war on their users. deleting programs without asking, forcing updates, scraping hard drives for data, pushing ads into the start menu, etc. I want to own my computer, not rent it from microsoft.
>>
install gentoo
>>
File: 1442359713342.jpg (1019 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1442359713342.jpg
1019 KB, 1000x1333
>>51788672
Hands down, the best way to do this on a single computer is to use vt-d hardware passthrough to pass your gpu to a windows virtual machine in qemu-kvm.

Guide for how to do this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

That being said, doing all the stup and maintenance for it is really annoying, and I have found that the most time-efficient and practical way to do what you want is to just have two separate computers, one running linux and one running windows just for gaming. Granted, it will cost you a fucktonne more, but it's infinitely more time efficient.
>>
>>51788705
if he's willing to run windows, he's willing to run chrome for netflix
>>
>>51788923
Or dual boot into a game only Windows partition, and using a VM for windows only software inside Linux
>>
>>51788923
>maintenance for it is really annoying
what fucking maintenance? you do the setup once and you're done
>>
>>51788923
>time-efficient and practical
is this really a selling point for a gamer?
>>
>>51788672
Whatever Linux distribution you like, with Windows inside virtual box running in seamless mode... Makes it Linux, but with a windows task bar also.
https://youtu.be/DGB3KbHKy4U
>>
>>51789072
>>51788923
with windows inside a VM, I would think you run into performance and compatibility issues. especially with hardware peripherals
>>
>>51788923
>time-efficient and practical way
gpu passthrough
usb controller passthrough
vm autostart at boot
kvm switch with usb and hdmi
scrlock+scrlock+return switches the kvm between the vm and host
it can't get more practical than this
>>
>>51789106
>performance and compatibility issues
>what is passthrough
>what is virtio
>>
>>51788672
>can't do game dev on linux
Fuck you, start writing cross platform programs. Or is that too difficult for you because you couldn't find a youtube video on how to make a game?
>>
>>51789072
>virtual box
Get a real hyper visor pleb
>>
>>51788923
I've done vt-d. It's surprisingly easy. The tricky bit is you need to have processor affinity set up so that the VM doesn't move around to different cores. Processor affinity configuration is rather new for qemu. Libvirt is really the only way to do it, and you need a very recent build of libvirt. A GUI has already been made for it upstream, so GPU pass through should be ready ~2 years from now once it hits Ubuntu. For now the setup is an adventure.
>>
>>51789882
Recommendations?
>>
Get 2 ssd's, uninstall windows on 1, linux on the other. Use grub to dualboot.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.