[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux and games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: linux_microsoft1.png (429 KB, 1239x639) Image search: [Google]
linux_microsoft1.png
429 KB, 1239x639
I'm not trying to bash Linux, I actually would like to use it. But how do you get around the problem of compatibility with video games? Yeah yeah, I know, "gaymz are for kids XD", but seriously.

Dual booting is of course an option, but constant rebooting doesn't seem practical. Wine works to some extent, but not always, especially with games that have been obtained, ahem, semi-legally.

Is there some third option I'm missing?
>>
>>51785357
>but constant rebooting doesn't seem practical

You can always change your habits, like "today I'm going to play videogames" and just boot into windows. While if you just want to work you boot with Linux
>>
Do you try to play Playstation games on a Xbox? No, you don't.
>>
>>51785357
Just dual-boot for now.
It's nice to have windows set for one purpose.
>>
>>51785357
Option 3: have a device (like a laptop) to run linux as your main go to device. Have a desktop gaming windows pc you use only for games (and entertainment)

Option 4: run a vm
>>
>>51785399
Option 5: don't be an autistic kid and use windows
>>
>>51785399
this suggestion i like, since you can get tablets so cheap these days
>>
I had the same problem as you but thanks god since steam is out for Linux there are now tons of gmes for it. Luckily rocket league will be published too soon. But before this i had a laptop as a workstation and pc for gaming. Check out if your games are avible, what do you play ?
>>
>>51785417
this tbqfhfrmkflh
>>
>>51785399
>Option 4: run a vm
virtualbox doesn't seem to support 3d graphics, are there VMs that are better suited for this?
>>
>>51785451
Get a hypervisor like QEMU or a similar VM, and pass your GPU through to the VM.

You can literally run your vidya at 100% normal speed, without any bottlenecks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
>>
>>51785357
Another option is to pray that SteamOS gonna be incredibly successful
>>
>>51785357
you could also try playing older games with Wine. Of course, not everything will work (and not with the best performance), but still better than nothing.
By the way, I'm also dual booting, and I'm comfortable with it. If you have an SSD, it's not a big deal (since it takes 1-2 seconds for Xubuntu, and 3-4 for Wangblows 8.1 to boot up).
>>
>>51785511
currently, it is.

And with windows doing all their "pay us for proprietary game drivers" BS, many AAA games may actually have a linux release as a cost saving measure.
>>
games on linux feel like some shit from uncanny valley
>>
I just buy linux supported games. There's already more than enough to last a lifetime and more to come.
>>
>>51785540
nice meme
>>
Steam currently have tons of vidya for Linux as well. If more people use it then more vidya will be on Linux. Just use Linux for everything else than vidya. That way people will see that you use Linux when surfing and we are one step closer to 2016 the year of the Linux desktop
>>
>>51785500
Was tempted to do a dual boot once i get my new ssd but i think I'll give this a go instead. Absolutely detest windows at this point and only use it for work and games. Looking forward to getting back into the linux world.
>>
>>51785546
>a lifetime
if you play like an hour a day and have literally zero discrimination towards whatever shitty indie game someone bothers to develop for linux
>>
>>51785357

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
>>
>>51785357
Steam still has games for Linux.

Just finished Shadow of Mordor an hour ago.
>>
>>51785828
EU4+CIV5 (and HoI4)
Dont care for Electronic Farts and Ubishit.
>>
>>51785386
this pretty much
you just kinda have to accept that the Linux for gaming is basically console gaming as far as selection and relative performance is concerned
>>
>>51785500
can you do this using a single card or do you need a spare one?
>>
I tried to run wow using play on linux. the fps was a bit low and the sound was choppy and sounded faster. anyone know a fix? should i just try wine instead?
>>
>>51785357

Just buy a PS4 desu senpai
>>
I play games that are available for Linux. I don't play games that aren't.

Only in very few cases has this arrangement left me disappointed.
>>
>>51785500
what are the security implications of giving a virtual machine direct hardware access?

can it update the firmware?
>>
Find Linux Compatible games. Buy a very cheap graphics card. You can run your Linux off of a very cheap graphics card and use your good graphics card to dedicate to a Windows vm. A 30$ gpu would be fine for Linux desu senpai.
>>
>>51785357

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51785357
Ubuntu + Valve games. You can thank me later.
>>
>>51786714
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, Linux/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux plus GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51786731

Install gentoo
>>
>>51786731

I don't know what your problem is. GNU is the OS and Linux is it's Kernel.
>>
>>51786731
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring as Linux/GNU/Linux, is in fact, Linux/(GNU plus Linux), or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux plus (GNU plus Linux).
>>
>>51786760
the kernel is the OS and GNU has made a subset of the userland.

Sure the interjection is funny and all, but that does not make it true.
>>
>>51786832
>/g/ - Technology

yeah. xD
>>
>>51785357

Just stop playing games and learn to code. Then you will be able to afford consoles or extra PCs for gaming.
>>
>>51785500
How does this work? How would a layman like me set it up? I currently have an SLI setup without a skylake processor.
>>
>>51785357
blablah blah VM's booting from a windows machine k thx bi
>>
>>51785357
>Dual booting is of course an option, but constant rebooting doesn't seem practical.
It's not a big deal when you're on an SSD and all your browser tabs and everything else is synchronised tbqh.
You'll end up using one OS more than the other and if you find that there's nothing that makes you want to use GNU/Linux over Windows then just don't bother.
>Is there some third option I'm missing?
VM + PCIe passtrough
>>
>>51785357
I have gone full Linux before and found the range of comparable games for the OS has grown considerably in the last few years steam is doing good work for some games I do boot to a old drive with windows but mostly Linux native
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.