[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm building a home theater. Can anyone recommend an decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Logitech Harmony 650.jpg (155 KB, 1404x1500) Image search: [Google]
Logitech Harmony 650.jpg
155 KB, 1404x1500
I'm building a home theater.

Can anyone recommend an decent remote control for an XMBC/KODI - HTCP setup that doesn't cost a freaking fortune?

I'm considering this Logitech Harmony 650, but it bothers me for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on.
>>
Any cheap ass MCE remote will work with Kodi. There's also FLIRC which you can program to work with any remote. I have the Harmony 700 and it isn't worth it at all unless you want to automate powering up your receiver with your TV or something.

Better yet get a USB CEC adapter and run it through your TV, you can also program a bunch of shit with Event Ghost. This setup has worked the best for me if all you have is a TV.
>>
>>51784057
I have a projector.
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-model/MR.JLE11.009
>>
>>51784111
Well then maybe the Harmony is your best bet then. Only because I find the backlight to be really useful in my setup. Beware that there's a chance you're going to have to tinker with the delay settings to get it working right with Kodi.
>>
>>51783988
This bad boy. Got one myself the other week, has an air mouse which doesn't need LOS to the receiver which is some black magic voodoo shit. Includes universal remote for two devices as well, So I use the remote plugged into my Theater PC, universal for TV and my Onkyo Reciever. Even better it's not one of the bullshit ones you have to get the codes for, just put both remotes head to head and it learns the button directly from the other remote.
>>
>>51784341
can you cut multiple devices on/off with one button?
>>
>>51784369
Yes, power button top left is for the device with the receiver plugged in (PC)
Top right one is for other devices of your choosing.
>>
First off, forget about those remotes that have fancy LCD displays, they're a fucking meme for idiots with more money than brains.

The dumbest thing ever, is to have to look at an LCD screen on a remote control. Fuck, I can see the retards around he world diverting their eyes from the TV to look at small LCD on a remote control. Fucking MORONS!

Since you're building an HTPC, the absolute best solution, is to install a program called Eventghost. Eventghost will turn an ordinary remote into a fucking Godzilla powerhouse, and basically let you control every aspect of your HTPC.

The best thing with Eventghost, is you'll be able to create ON-SCREEN menus. That's right, no looking at some dumb-ass small LCD screen, you can now create menus seen on screen.

It's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth the time and effort.

As for your remote control, I recommend buying a URC WR7 remote control. If you can't find one retail, you should be able to find one on E-Bay. Those remotes are loaded with macros and programming capabilities. Plus they're cheap. You'll also need to buy a Microsoft Windows IR Receiver for about $15.
>>
>>51784341

That thing looks like shit. I checked on Amazon and it doesn't have a backlight for the keyboard, so the keyboard is worthless unless you watch TV with the lights on, or want to scramble to flip on a lamp whenever you need to type something.

Also, the reviews for the air mouse function are horrible. I highly recommend getting a Gyration Air Mouse Mobile. Those are fantastic to use as an air mouse. I've had one for 6 years, and would be lost without it for my HTPC.
>>
>>51784806
thank you
>>
>>51783988
I just use my old iPod with Kodi Remote installed on it
>>
>>51783988

Get one of the Harmony Simple Remotes with the hub. The Harmony system is useful because it can also control Bluetooth devices as well as IR, which is important for things like PS3s and smart set-top boxes. You can also set it up with repeaters so you don't need line of sight.

The Harmony hub+remote kit runs like $100-130 on Amazon, last I saw. Not bad for what you get.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.