[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'm about to be swimming in that sweet, sweet holiday bonus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: mobile-device-story.jpg (42 KB, 420x370) Image search: [Google]
mobile-device-story.jpg
42 KB, 420x370
'm about to be swimming in that sweet, sweet holiday bonus cash and I am looking for the best device to watch shows in bed like the lazy ass fucking 'Murican that I am.

I don't give a shit what it is, what is the best device out there? that Surface 3 looks intriguing.
>>
I could swear I just seen this thread earlier.
>>
>>51782694
+1
>>
Why not a cheap laptop?
>>
>>51783688

Screen quality and portability
>>
>>51782619
Sony Z4 or Samsung Tab S2 if you cannot find or don't want to pay for the extra.
>>
>>51783688
The fan exists gets blocked my your blanket, fan proceeds to spin and make a fuckton of noise whilst doing nothing.

Gotta get something passively cooled.
>>
>>51782619
I have the Xperia Z1 tablet and I'm really, really happy with it.

It's very thin, light, and has a good screen but also feels sturdy.

Has the "premium" feel of an Apple product, but without iOS and the gay.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
>>51782619
Definitely that 1st gen Nook.
>>
>>51784277
>Xperia Z1
What's the current xperia tablet? Can't find one to buy anywhere
>>
>>51784386
Z4.

It's pretty much exactly the same as Z1, but with better hardware.
>>
>>51784402
>Z4
How much does the z4 run? if its in the 649 range I might just get a Surface 3 since it has a full windows install on it
>>
>>51784463
Yeah I don't think you'll find one lower than $650.

Might want to see if you can grab an older model, which would still be very viable, but cheaper.
>>
>>51782619

Get the iPad Air 2 if you want the world's best tablet experience.

Get the Surface Pro if you want a good laptop that pretends it can be a good tablet, but turns out to only be a mediocre tablet.
>>
Tv. Wallmount, lapto/streamstuck+ANY smartphone
>>
Get a Pixel C and laugh at the short sighted idiots that are calling it pointless.
>>
>>51786338

Don't get a fucking Pixel C. Android can't even field good apps for the tablets they already have, let alone this pie-in-the-sky merger of tablet and laptop they're cooking up.

I'm telling you for your own good: buy an iPad. The reason their sales have dropped off lately is because their useful life is so long that the people who buy them generally don't have to replace them.
>>
>>51786365
>I'm telling you for your own good: buy an iPad. The reason their sales have dropped off lately is because their useful life is so long that the people who buy them generally don't have to replace them.
Which hasn't slowed down people snapping up the latest iPhone. Unless you want to argue that the useful life of an iPhone is less than six months to a year?
>>
>>51786365

>cute tablet app meme bro

Seriously. Don't be an idiot. The Pixel C has an unlocked bootloader.
>>
>>51786422

The iPhone is a different beast altogether. It's on you all the time, it takes more day-to-day abuse, it undergoes more frequent charge cycles, it undergoes more frequent changes in size and shape, and more.

>>51786423

Unlocked bootloader doesn't change the fact that Android can't into tablet optimization. And it doesn't change the fact that Google cannot fucking finish anything, ever, and can't ever seem to release hardware without major quality control issues. I'm not just talking out my ass, either. I had both Nexus 7's, and really wanted to like the N10 and N9, but Google just never delivered on the tablet promise the way Apple did. And that's why Apple sells a shitload of tablets and Google doesn't.
>>
>>51786474
>The iPhone is a different beast altogether. It's on you all the time, it takes more day-to-day abuse, it undergoes more frequent charge cycles, it undergoes more frequent changes in size and shape, and more.
You are trying to argue that the iPhone is built and designed so poorly that it cannot function in the manner it is supposed to and outlive its usefulness in six months to a year? I'd have to call bullshit on that as the iPhone 4 is still selling.
>>
>>51786491

The iPhone can continue to function, it just advances faster and makes a better case for the upgrade. Also, people break them more often (because they carry them everywhere) and the battery shits out faster (because it gets used more frequently).
>>
This board is 18+, leave immediately
>>
>>51786474

re: Android; How many tablet apps do you assholes require? What more than a web browser, netflix, youtube, spotify, email, and shit like hearthstone are you reasonably using a tablet for? People that cry about tablet optimization are fucking dumb. Further still, 6 week updates and the device is obviously a test bed for whatever amalgamation chromeos+android end up being over the next year. That alone is super interesting.

re: hardware; The Pixel Chromebook created by the same team has always been praised as extremely well polished hardware experience and by most accounts thus far this tablet is no exception.

re: unlocked bootloader; install gentoo or whatever, or chromeos since that's what everyone evidently wanted with the thing
>>
>>51786524

>super interesting

But probably not a good idea long-term. Google never delivers on ANYTHING.

>The Pixel Chromebook created by the same team has always been praised as extremely well polished hardware experience and by most accounts thus far this tablet is no exception

This isn't a Chromebook. It's Android, and has all pros and cons of Android.

>install gentoo or whatever, or chromeos since that's what everyone evidently wanted with the thing

Not how unlocked bootloader works.
>>
>>51786506
>The iPhone can continue to function, it just advances faster and makes a better case for the upgrade.
Thus the assertion that slow iPad sales is due to its useful life being so long seems sketchy. Apple customers snatch up the latest iPhone regardless of the useful life of their previous phone. It seems the reason that sales of the iPad is for a different reason or reasons.
>>
>>51782619
I have the surface 3, and its great as a sort of ultra-portable laptop.That having been said, if your main focus is watching shows on bed, get an iPad. Windows isn't really much fun to use with touch controls, and its absolutely horrible to use on bed. You always end up accidentally closing things or clicking the wrong links as everything is tiny and only designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse
>>
>>51786542

> google never delivers

This is arguable. The sheer amount of projects Google takes on is crazy. People are quick to point out failures and ignore successes. Regardless, they've already delivered on the best android tablet for that size out of the box despite the current state of Android on tablets.

>isn't a chromebook

Obviously, but when hardware quality comes into question it's valid to compare the build quality and industrial design to the Chromebook Pixel if it's built by the same team.

> not how bootloader works

Of course, but you know what I mean. It's an inevitability that this device is going to be more than a mere android tablet given the accessibility it has and it's rather short sighted to think otherwise.
>>
>>51784463
I swear the z4 is lighter than paper
>>
>>51786614
>best android tablet

Thinnest kid at fat camp.

>device is going to be more than a mere android tablet

Not if you want it to work worth a shit without the keyboard.
>>
>>51786638
I don't know if the Z4 is lighter than paper but it is a pretty light device and is water/dustproof so all that lint from watching/reading in bed isn't going to bother it.
>>
>>51786655
No, its lighter than paper mate. I got it after my ipad 2 finally kicked the bucket and the thing is so smooth and light, I also got the keyboard accessory which works breddy well as a poor man's (I wouldn't say poor) Android surface.

I tested the waterproofness but I don't think it's as useful as say on a phone as I don't really take baths nor use it in the shower
>>
>>51786678
Is "paper" heavier than 389 grams? I don't know about your paper but the one right next to me on my desk is considerably lighter than 389 grams (almost a pound).
>>
>>51786638
I have a Z4 tablet. It's insanely light and thin, feels solidly built. It does come with the 810 heat but the Sony rom is solid and the screen is really nice.

Not really worth the price when there is more cost efficient options but it's still very nice.
>>
>>51787241
810 doesn't hear up actually, probably cause tablet heat dissipation
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.