[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT Spying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Hi /g/

I work in IT and constantly have users talking about me monitoring their web history, or banning pages from being viewed. I obviously have the ability to do that just through normal Windows means, but we just don't. It's got me thinking about all the other big-brother type shit I'm sure shittier corporations employ. I've never worked with them so I don't know shit about them, and they are surprisingly hard to find just through search engines.

What kind of tools / programs are out there that allow corporate teams to monitor users like that? Are there agents that will flag users for certain Google searches? Send notifications to management when sensitive files are opened? Obviously HR related shit is locked down, but could I set an alarm/log who goes in certain directories or opens certain files using some kind of agent or program? This shit has to exist.
>>
>>51782060
Sounds like you aren't qualified for your job.

You think its hard to set up alerts for accessing certain files? You are kidding me right?
>>
>>51782086

Knowing how to audit users failed attempts at opening sensitive files isn't a qualification for my position, and the situation where I would have to do that has yet to come up.

You think I need to be qualified for stuff that my company doesn't expect me to do? Do you know how roles work? You are kidding me right?
>>
When I worked in a hospital the management made me set up keylogging on all hospital computers. After filtering through it a fuckton with regex and giving the management an easy way to view the data that was pretty much just grepping through a fuckton of logs they found out there were several people stealing all sorts of shit and doing all sorts of fraud and shit

I'm sure glad I don't work there anymore I think I did too good of a job and I felt like a snitch
>>
>>51782465
That seems like a really clunky and time consuming way to do it. Although, it sounds like the most fool-proof. The typical user, especially in a hospital, is probably too dumb to use any trickery to cover their tracks, so there must be an easier way and/or agents that do that for you. Right?
>>
>>51782486
I have no idea. It was the easiest for me because all of the computers that process patient data use some proprietary insurance thing that already had some sort of logging system built in

It was just a real bitch to read any of those logs and regex/grep made it real easy

I'm sure there's programs and very complete enterprise software packages that do it but after enough time regex/grep is going to get anything done
>>
>>51782177
It's not about what you've been asked to do at work. It's about being able to do stuff that is considered basic shit in your field.
- Not that guy
>>
I share a bunch of boxes with a lot of people at my work and it's really entertaining attaching to someone's tmux session and watching them work. That's kinda like spying right?
>>
File: tom_cruise_lel.png (439 KB, 910x898) Image search: [Google]
tom_cruise_lel.png
439 KB, 910x898
Toasting in epic bread
>>
>>51782060
Admit it, you're not in IT, you're just an employee asking how your bosses are monitoring your computer use. Just do your work on your work pc, anon.
>>
>>51782177
>Do you know how roles work? You are kidding me right?
Do you?

Should be basic fucking knowledge for anyone who is working in IT.

Jesus fuck, you went to 4chan before trying google. Even the most incompetent IT worker would do that, surely.

So please, tell me more about your "roles", let me guess you are the guy that plugs in the cables for them.
>>
>>51782759
I am. I'm just pretty new to the field and we don't utilize that kind of monitoring because our clients don't request it. They're all small businesses.

I'm guessing no one in /g/ (with the exception of the one guy who worked for a hospital) actually has any relevant experience. Instead it's a hodgepodge of condescending bullshit and long-shot inferences.
>>
>>51782833
>Should be basic fucking knowledge for anyone who is working in IT.

On interview:
>Please name some applications that monitor user activity. For example: agents that send notifications to management for suspicious activity, or flagging users for searching for particular words.
>>Well, I don't know any branded applications. I'm aware of Windows' built in features for auditing, permissions, and the like. However, I'm sure whichever products that are on the market are simple to use and administer. Whatever you guys use I'm sure I will be able to grasp almost instantly.
>Surely you are not fit for any position in the IT field ever. If you aren't already aware of these applications and their uses then you are immediately disqualified
>>
>>51782060
Active Directory can do pretty much everything you listed with little configuration.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.